BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, roversfan99 said:

So you would personally opt to have Ben Brereton as a wide man? Or you think thats what will happen? Would you personally like to see a winger or 2 at the club?

We wanted a winger in January. I hope we want one now budget allowing because nobody who has played out wide this season has been effective bar maybe Armstrong who is a striker.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18204589.mowbray-atsu-rovers-failure-add-january/

Like I said to you few days/couple of weeks ago I wouldn't play with wide players but more inside with my full backs providing the width. One reason with I would like to see a right back with more attacking attributes come in. Did you forget this conversation? 

If we are bringing in any wingers then Mowbray is going to adapt the way he has played during his tenure at the club

I have no idea what Mowbray will do this window. 

fair enough. We wanted Jordan Jones 1st I seen to remember. He would be good loan signing but wouldn't have got his PL winner medal tho

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said to you few days/couple of weeks ago I wouldn't play with wide players but more inside with my full backs providing the width. One reason with I would like to see a right back with more attacking attributes come in. Did you forget this conversation? 

If we are bringing in any wingers then Mowbray is going to adapt the way he has played during his tenure at the club

fair enough. We wanted Jordan Jones 1st I seen to remember. He would be good loan signing but wouldn't have got his PL winner medal tho

I think the club shares your desire for attacking defenders. That's the contributing factor to our defense leaking 60+ goals a season. Mowbray did bring in Chapman to play out wide.Injury and a bust up got in the way of that. Jordan Jones was one of a number of players we were linked with last January and we were among the clubs said to want to sign him. Rangers are looking to sell him,not send him out on loan.

I am sure it's mere coincidence that Mowbray is on holiday the week Bristol City are holding second interviews and looking to finalise their new managerial appointment.

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you are confusing Jordan Jones, a winger linked from Rangers and formerly of Kilmarnock with Liverpool young player Curtis Jones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously it has specifically been provoked by a link to a winger. But because my opinion is that we need one and that our wide players (well who have played there) havent contributed in a way that we need. 

We also apparently wanted wingers in January and I think Mowbray was quoted as such so the penny may drop. Indeed the Chapman incident will of course have more to it than him just being a winger.

It may do but I just don't think it's his way at all. I see no signs at all that the penny has dropped, and some unconfirmed rumours that we want a winger doesn't convince me it has.

Knowing Mowbray, if we really were in for the likes of Jones and the Polish winger, he wants to either just have them there as an option for maybe a dozen games a season at best for something different, or he plans to play them centrally. I'm pretty sure if we sign a winger it won't end well as long as TM is here.

2 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I think the club shares your desire for attacking defenders. That's the contributing factor to our defense leaking 60+ goals a season. Mowbray did bring in Chapman to play out wide.Injury and a bust up got in the way of that. Jordan Jones was one of a number of players we were linked with last January and we were among the clubs said to want to sign him. Rangers are looking to sell him,not send him out on loan.

I am sure it's mere coincidence that Mowbray is on holiday the week Bristol City are holding second interviews and looking to finalise their new managerial appointment.

Apart from deciding when Mowbray can take his holiday why don't you choose where he goes , as well ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

It was both in one go. Really rash challenge that got him sent off and three-months out injured. You can see in the clip that SG was not happy about it.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It may do but I just don't think it's his way at all. I see no signs at all that the penny has dropped, and some unconfirmed rumours that we want a winger doesn't convince me it has.

Knowing Mowbray, if we really were in for the likes of Jones and the Polish winger, he wants to either just have them there as an option for maybe a dozen games a season at best for something different, or he plans to play them centrally. I'm pretty sure if we sign a winger it won't end well as long as TM is here.

I think that the wide areas have been ineffective across the whole of Mowbrays reign. A bad achilles heel. He has been overly reliant on goals from central positons the Dack and Graham partnership and of course with one injured and the other on the wane and now gone, Armstrong started scoring centrally. The quotes from the article post January transfer window basically admitted an attempt was made to sign Atsu, who individually is shit, but it gave me a bit of hope that he would at least consider actual wide players. Not asking for old school crossers into the box everytime as that wouldnt suit but players who can play the position ans contribute in an attacking sense. You look around the league, Benrahma, Harrison, Mbuemo, Diangana, Phillips, Grosicki, Costa, Lolley, Jed Wallace, Mendez Laing, Hoilett, Murphy x2 even the likes of Sammy Ameobi, Barkhuizen, Sinclair, Jamal Lowe, Kadeem Harris, Eliasson, Bela, Osayi Samuel, McLean, Ince etc. All far more effective and proving that wingers do have value, often in teams who do NOT possess an Armstrong AND a Dack.

The only exceptions where an Armstrong hot spell in League 1, but he is better central, and Antonsson had a bit of a goal rush. Weve had "defensive wingers" such as Bennett, an ageing Conway and a horribly wasted Reed contributing precious little in attack. Weve had naturally central players like Holtby, Buckley, Rothwell, Payne, Palmer who to varying degrees arent totally comfortable or at least effective there. And weve had strikers, Brereton, Samuel and Gallagher who again have all failed to impress. 

I know it might seem fanciful to expect effective players in wide areas but until it is addressed I feel we will struggle to push on. It is almost like Mowbray views the wide positions (including full backs) as not important and places where he can stick central players and crack on as normal.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

The only time we've been that lucky is when Newcastle hired Souness.

Lightning doesn't strike twice. 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

No - but I recognise an honest, decent man when I see one.

We all do that's why he remains reasonably popular with fans. However we can also see a man's limitations and a good one accepts them too.

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that the wide areas have been ineffective across the whole of Mowbrays reign. A bad achilles heel. He has been overly reliant on goals from central positons the Dack and Graham partnership and of course with one injured and the other on the wane and now gone, Armstrong started scoring centrally. The quotes from the article post January transfer window basically admitted an attempt was made to sign Atsu, who individually is shit, but it gave me a bit of hope that he would at least consider actual wide players. Not asking for old school crossers into the box everytime as that wouldnt suit but players who can play the position ans contribute in an attacking sense. You look around the league, Benrahma, Harrison, Mbuemo, Diangana, Phillips, Grosicki, Costa, Lolley, Jed Wallace, Mendez Laing, Hoilett, Murphy x2 even the likes of Sammy Ameobi, Barkhuizen, Sinclair, Jamal Lowe, Kadeem Harris, Eliasson, Bela, Osayi Samuel, McLean, Ince etc. All far more effective and proving that wingers do have value, often in teams who do NOT possess an Armstrong AND a Dack.

The only exceptions where an Armstrong hot spell in League 1, but he is better central, and Antonsson had a bit of a goal rush. Weve had "defensive wingers" such as Bennett, an ageing Conway and a horribly wasted Reed contributing precious little in attack. Weve had naturally central players like Holtby, Buckley, Rothwell, Payne, Palmer who to varying degrees arent totally comfortable or at least effective there. And weve had strikers, Brereton, Samuel and Gallagher who again have all failed to impress. 

I know it might seem fanciful to expect effective players in wide areas but until it is addressed I feel we will struggle to push on. It is almost like Mowbray views the wide positions (including full backs) as not important and places where he can stick central players and crack on as normal.

As I've said multiple times - Mowbray's brand of football requires absolute worldies at FB. We don't have them and haven't ever had them under Mowbray. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

It was both in one go. Really rash challenge that got him sent off and three-months out injured. You can see in the clip that SG was not happy about it.

It was a bit late but the number of crocodile style rolls by the Celtic player tells me it looked worse than it was. Definitely an early bath these days though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Now that’s a red card, Breretons was about 15% of the velocity of that.

• Like 1