BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a bit late but the number of crocodile style rolls by the Celtic player tells me it looked worse than it was. Definitely an early bath these days though.

That used to be the first tackle put in by a defender if they knew you were better than them.  You took it and hope they got a yellow and not just a ticking off and a wry smile from the ref. 

At least on a yellow you, knew they'd be off after the next one!?

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

20 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

The only penetration we had was with Nyambe dragging us up the pitch (but with no final ball) and via Tosin's incisive passes through midfield. Our midfield struggled to create enough clear cut chances

If one of our main tactics was to use Tosin's passes through the midfield, then midfield will naturally create less opportunities surely as they're being bypassed?

I think some of this bashing of our style of play is unwarranted. Yes without an incisive pass or sparkling dribble it can become ponderous against defensive teams, and plans B and C need to be developed to beat those types. But creating chances wasn't the problem last season, and despite some profligate finishing at times (particularly from Gallagher throughout the season & notably Samuel after lockdown) we finished 6th for goals scored. There's enough individual creativity in the squad (Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Buckley, post-lockdown BB even) to continue to create chances through individual spark.

Our problem was keeping them out, esp at the start of the season & post lockdown. As a unit, the defensive 5 was not solid enough, and the midfield too often failed to give them enough protection. Get a solid keeper, CB partner for Lenihan & improved LB, with decent back up in each position and a clear understanding of how the unit functions should injuries / suspension/ loss of form force personnel changes, then we can save 10-15 goals at the back which should be sufficient for top 6 .

The issue is finding & building that 10-man defensive unit on whatever funds we have & promoting from within; that's the real challenge this summer for me.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That used to be the first tackle put in by a defender if they knew you were better than them.  You took it and hope they got a yellow and not just a ticking off and a wry smile from the ref. 

Yes, I've given a few like that as a full back and received a few when I was playing as a winger. As you say- normally a booking but occasionally it would be a telling off from a lenient ref. The secret was to get it in very early in the game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

So you would personally opt to have Ben Brereton as a wide man? Or you think thats what will happen? Would you personally like to see a winger or 2 at the club?

We wanted a winger in January. I hope we want one now budget allowing because nobody who has played out wide this season has been effective bar maybe Armstrong who is a striker.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18204589.mowbray-atsu-rovers-failure-add-january/

Chapman

34 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

If one of our main tactics was to use Tosin's passes through the midfield, then midfield will naturally create less opportunities surely as they're being bypassed?

I think some of this bashing of our style of play is unwarranted. Yes without an incisive pass or sparkling dribble it can become ponderous against defensive teams, and plans B and C need to be developed to beat those types. But creating chances wasn't the problem last season, and despite some profligate finishing at times (particularly from Gallagher throughout the season & notably Samuel after lockdown) we finished 6th for goals scored. There's enough individual creativity in the squad (Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Buckley, post-lockdown BB even) to continue to create chances through individual spark.

Our problem was keeping them out, esp at the start of the season & post lockdown. As a unit, the defensive 5 was not solid enough, and the midfield too often failed to give them enough protection. Get a solid keeper, CB partner for Lenihan & improved LB, with decent back up in each position and a clear understanding of how the unit functions should injuries / suspension/ loss of form force personnel changes, then we can save 10-15 goals at the back which should be sufficient for top 6 .

The issue is finding & building that 10-man defensive unit on whatever funds we have & promoting from within; that's the real challenge this summer for me.

It all starts with a keeper who commands them in front of him. Sir Roger.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

That is not completely true. We were second bottom in shots on goal (including blocked shots) in the league. To counter that, we were surprisingly equal 3rd for the conversion of our shots which basically means, we did not create all that much but were very good at taking our chances when we did. 

https://www.beinsports.com/au/efl-championship/statistics

• Like 4

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

My dad tells the story of Tommy Smith (Liverpool?) who used to do this every game. The story goes that he did this sort of tackle in a warm up game.

'Bloody hell, it's only a friendly!'

'Aye, just imagine what I do in proper games.'

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said to you few days/couple of weeks ago I wouldn't play with wide players but more inside with my full backs providing the width. One reason with I would like to see a right back with more attacking attributes come in. Did you forget this conversation? 

Chaddy, do you really want/hope/expect us to replace Nyambe with a better option? Where would this fall on your list of priorities?

Do you genuinely feel that Nyambe being replaced with better is either realistIc or important... or are you reading into the fact he is going into his last year of his contract and is the most frequent victim of scapegoating by Mowbray, and is therefore the most likely of our saleable assets to be cashed in on? Are you preparing your defence of this sale before it’s even happened?

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

There's enough individual creativity in the squad (Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Buckley, post-lockdown BB even) to continue to create chances through individual spark.

Dack - going

Rothwell - 1 in 5 player

Holtby - Past it, legs have gone

Buckley - ?

BB - ??

We are needing quality to get promoted,  this lot aren't good enough for that. IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

It all starts with a keeper who commands them in front of him. Sir Roger.

Nice lad era that doesn't seem to happen anymore i remember watching both Steele & Raya closely after we've conceded in the BBE.  Steele looked terrified of Hanley & Duffy who were often totally at fault.  They in turn always looked non plussed with each other but didn't seem to communicate.

Raya was always averting Mulgrews glare even when it was Charlie boys fault.  Novice keepers though compared to Robinson who bawled people out regularly and put his name on some crosses etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I think some of this bashing of our style of play is unwarranted. Yes without an incisive pass or sparkling dribble it can become ponderous against defensive teams, and plans B and C need to be developed to beat those types.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that was one of our main tactics, but it certainly gave us the most penetration. Although the passing was through the opposition midfield, we typically play with two banks of midfielders (a defensive unit manned by Travis and one other & typically a three man attacking unit behind the main striker), so those passes were still hitting our midfield and the most 'creative' ones at that. 

If we're being honest it was ponderous against the more open, attacking sides as well, but we certainly had more of the ball against more defensive sides. The point about needing a plan B & C leads back to the initial conversation about target men that are available and could do a job for us. With Graham gone, Sam Gallagher is the closest we have to that in the squad.

I completely agree that the defence needs sorting. Will be interesting to see who we go for. 

27 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Bit random

I think @neophox was just giving his reasons for not wanting Duffy back here.He is said to be unsettled at Brighton. 

@Atko'sEngine, you complain about profligacy in front of goal, despite us finishing 6th in terms of goals scored.You cite Gallagher and Samuel. Mowbray makes Gallagher play wide right, doesn't allow him to hone his goalscoring talent and berates him for popping up in the penalty area and scoring.I doubt Samuel was fully match fit. @RoverKyle, the best target man we have according to the scouting report is Brereton, Unfortunately, his distribution thereafter is a weakness.  

Walton kept 12 clean sheets. Transfermarkt lists his market value at £900k on joining us on loan. It was £720 estimated on leaving us. He left  80% of the player he was, when he came. Contrast that with his time at Wigan: £225k when he started, £900k when he left. Can we recruit the Wigan goalkeeping coach, please?

Edited by Richard Oakley
hit post before finishing entering text. spelling

3 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Gallagher scored 10 league goals for us under Coyle whilst playing as a centre forward. You've obviously forgotten.

You've obviously forgotten that you initially wrote that he pooped in the area, and also what a joke looks like.

11 goals actually though, which is still bang average. Hasn't hit more than 6 in a season since.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

I think @neophox was just giving his reasons for not wanting Duffy back here.He is said to be unsettled at Brighton. 

@Atko'sEngine, you complain about profligacy in front of goal, despite us finishing 6th in terms of goals scored.You cite Gallagher and Samuel. Mowbray makes Gallagher play wide right, doesn't allow him to hone his goalscoring talent and berates him for popping up in the penalty area and scoring.I doubt Samuel was fully match fit. @RoverKyle, the best target man we have according to the scouting report is Brereton, Unfortunately, his distribution thereafter is a weakness.  

Walton kept 12 clean sheets. Transfermarkt lists his market value at £900k on joining us on loan. It was £720 estimated on leaving us. He left  80% of the player he was, when he came. Contrast that with his time at Wigan: £225k when he started, £900k when he left. Can we recruit the Wigan goalkeeping coach, please?

I wouldn't go off the information on those sites as gospel. In fact it's almost embarrassing to do so, unless you're being tongue in cheek.

You only need to watch a couple of our games to see that Gallagher is the closest we have to a target man. It's why, even when he's played out wide, we lump the ball up to him in the air in the hope that he'll win a header. 

27 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You've obviously forgotten that you initially wrote that he pooped in the area, and also what a joke looks like.

11 goals actually though, which is still bang average. Hasn't hit more than 6 in a season since.

You need to up your work rate on jokes. Thanks for pointing out my use of the wrong word.I did correct it, which you seem to have missed.

I reckoned he was on track to score 20 goals that season. I'd expect 6 goals a season, now and he'll be told off for scoring each one. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a 20 goal striker a season than one who is used as an attempted header winner from a ball hoofed upfield from the defence.

@KyleRover Yep, using it for illustrative purposes.Walton much improved by his spell at Wigan, but worsened here.

Edited by Richard Oakley