BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

23 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are confusing Jordan Jones, a winger linked from Rangers and formerly of Kilmarnock with Liverpool young player Curtis Jones.

I was. I meant Curtis Jones

7 hours ago, neophox said:

When does pre season start? 

2 weeks time

8 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Chaddy, do you really want/hope/expect us to replace Nyambe with a better option? Where would this fall on your list of priorities?

Do you genuinely feel that Nyambe being replaced with better is either realistIc or important... or are you reading into the fact he is going into his last year of his contract and is the most frequent victim of scapegoating by Mowbray, and is therefore the most likely of our saleable assets to be cashed in on? Are you preparing your defence of this sale before it’s even happened?

I feel we need a more attacking full back in we are going to move an attacking passing style. Nyambe hasn't improved in the attacking sider over the last 12 months. I feel its important if the full backs are going to provide the width going forward. You have to take into account thats he only 12 months left on his contract so if he isn't going to sign a new contract then we have to look to sell and get the price we can. Can we really afford another Josh King or Ben Marshall or Junior Hoilett situation again? 

The main priorities for me is a keeper who can command his box, communication and very shot stopper, Centre back to play next to Lenihan(and possible 2 depending on Williams and Wharton future at the club), a left back. So 4 or 5 on the list as we need at least back up right back at least. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

2 weeks time

I thought someone on here said half the squad were on holiday in Spain let's hope they are coming back tomorrow otherwise they shall miss the start of pre season. Personally I don't know why they needed more time off they've only just got back from 3 months off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I feel we need a more attacking full back in we are going to move an attacking passing style. Nyambe hasn't improved in the attacking sider over the last 12 months. I feel its important if the full backs are going to provide the width going forward. You have to take into account thats he only 12 months left on his contract so if he isn't going to sign a new contract then we have to look to sell and get the price we can. Can we really afford another Josh King or Ben Marshall or Junior Hoilett situation again? 

The main priorities for me is a keeper who can command his box, communication and very shot stopper, Centre back to play next to Lenihan(and possible 2 depending on Williams and Wharton future at the club), a left back. So 4 or 5 on the list as we need at least back up right back at least. 

Doesnt Rankin Costello and also Rothwell have 12 months on their deals left? If so, should we sell as with Nyambe if they wont renew?

3 hours ago, Swanson said:

https://www.tv2.no/sport/11563116/

This article is in norwegian and I have mentioned this guy before. After Brighton have signed Veltman and Ben White is back he is now further down the line. And he says that he won't go back to 2 Bundesliga, Brighton is working towards loaning him out to a Championship club or selling him. Since we are looking for a CB we should be all over this, very promising player.

Yes you have mention him on here before. I wouldn't be surprise if we did look at him. what are his strengths and weaknesses? 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Since there are no new links today, thoughts on these suggestions?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-five-strikers-transfers-18701028.amp

I'd put striker as 5th or 6th priority (gk times 2, cb, lb, maybe another cb) but no harm in thinking about it.

I'm not familiar with these players but most don't sound too inspiring. Bonne sounds alright and maybe available at the right price. They make Nicholson sound good, but at a guess from the article we might be talking 4 or 5 million which is far too much in current circumstances. And we all know what would be said if TM paid about that much for a striker...

I think they are realistic choices apart from the last suggestion as I don't know the player Nicholson. Well done Jaquob 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Wide men are more of a priority than strikers too.

Not if Mowbray isn't going to play wingers. It would be wasting signings. 

Plus if Armstrong is sold then we need 1st choice striker in. I really hope that doesn't happen btw

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you have mention him on here before. I wouldn't be surprise if we did look at him. what are his strengths and weaknesses? 

I think they are realistic choices apart from the last suggestion as I don't know the player Nicholson. Well done Jaquob 

Not if Mowbray isn't going to play wingers. It would be wasting signings. 

Plus if Armstrong is sold then we need 1st choice striker in. I really hope that doesn't happen btw

Firstly, its my opinion on what we need. I went into detail as to how I feel that Mowbrays use of wide players throughout his time here.

But even if they arent out and out wingers brought in, we dont have players who can be effective from wide roles.

We have Armstrong as a very effective striker and Gallagher should only be played there and not wide.

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

I thought someone on here said half the squad were on holiday in Spain let's hope they are coming back tomorrow otherwise they shall miss the start of pre season. Personally I don't know why they needed more time off they've only just got back from 3 months off.

Some players are or have been in Spain aswell as Greece

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Doesnt Rankin Costello and also Rothwell have 12 months on their deals left? If so, should we sell as with Nyambe if they wont renew?

I would be offering both new long term contract aswell as Nyambe. I suspect Rothwell and Rankin Costello will sign new contract. 

He is not the tallest CB, but he is very good in the air. He is also a leader and fairly quick. Weaknesses, he is quite young so he will make mistakes and also gets too many yellow cards (8 this season).

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

Dack - if he goes, point accepted, but then we can look to replace. But he is our most creative player, and we missed him for what, 25 games?

Rothwell - agreed he needs to find more consistency, but he has a style that frightens opponents. He's still worth sticking with imo, though I have wavered in that opinion over his time here.

Holtby - think that's a massive exaggeration; he's a player without natural pace but has natural flair. Similar to Tugay in the respect, albeit a few rungs lower down the ladder.

Buckley & BB - I think both of these showed more in the last 9 games than they did previously. They both have attributes to frighten defenders. Encouraging signs from both to build upon next season.

But I get the apprehension. I'm not saying it's the bee's knees, just less of a problem than is often made out.

Holtby isn't fit to lace Tugay's boots. 

As for Rothwell - he frightens teams when he runs past players from central positions. I don't think he has the pace (or the crossing ability) to consistently hurt teams when played out wide. Hence why he's inconsistent. If we're keeping him, it needs to be as part of the midfield three with Travis (and I guess Dack in the more advanced position, although I think Rothwell could play there too). Otherwise he's just a talented player shoehorned out wide. 

I keep on hearing about Buckley's talent, but all I see is a frail man that Championship defenders bully. He's going to have to speed up his processes to overcome that, because I doubt he's got the frame to bulk up without losing pace. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Firstly, its my opinion on what we need. I went into detail as to how I feel that Mowbrays use of wide players throughout his time here.

But even if they arent out and out wingers brought in, we dont have players who can be effective from wide roles.

We have Armstrong as a very effective striker and Gallagher should only be played there and not wide.

If he persists with one upfront it's got to be Armstrong, with Gallagher and Brereton fighting for the role off the bench.

That said, if he's going to persist with one upfront he can't shoehorn Gallagher and Brereton to RW as neither can play it effectively. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If he persists with one upfront it's got to be Armstrong, with Gallagher and Brereton fighting for the role off the bench.

That said, if he's going to persist with one upfront he can't shoehorn Gallagher and Brereton to RW as neither can play it effectively. 

Absolutely agree. Shoehorn is the key word.

Armstrong and Dack would be our main 2, Gallagher and Brereton pushing them. The only way that 3 of them could play at once would be with Armstrong wide I suspect.

• Like 1

Just now, Swanson said:

He is not the tallest CB, but he is very good in the air. He is also a leader and fairly quick. Weaknesses, he is quite young so he will make mistakes and also gets too many yellow cards (8 this season).

8 cards in 30 games isn't it? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why do you think that Nyambe wont?

Cos he didn't sign a long term contract last time just a 1 year extension on top on 1 year left on his contract in April 2019 if I remember correctly 

Cos he didn't sign a long term contract last time just a 1 year extension on top on 1 year left on his contract in April 2019 if I remember correctly 

Perhaps that is all the club offered him. Mowbray has never been a big fan of him and remember at the time he signed his contract he was considered as 2nd choice behind Bennett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

Fair enough, that is quite surprising esp when you think of efforts like Samuel v Wigan & Barnsley, Davenport v Leeds, Holtby v Leeds, just 4 off the top of my head.

But it still doesn't alter the fact that we finished 6th highest scorers, without playing 2 of the previous season's top scorers most of the time.

Surprised me too when i looked it up tbh. Although we are equal 3rd with about 4 or 5 teams. The point was mainly that we dont really create that much and when you consider AA seemingly couldnt miss at the end of the season, that is probably why our conversion stats look so good. Creativity is something e need to work on but of course, keeping them out of the other end is even more important, 

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Question

Would you really have the likes of CB we've got ahead of Dann and Duffy? Now if you are talking wastes of space.

Dann was a shithouse and Duffy couldn’t head a ball in the intended direction, never seen a player so bad from set pieces. Lenihan is streets ahead of both of them 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Holtby isn't fit to lace Tugay's boots. That's a tad harsh. I just meant in terms of an ability and calmness on the ball, there are similarities there, albeit Tugay was masterful.

As for Rothwell - he frightens teams when he runs past players from central positions. I don't think he has the pace (or the crossing ability) to consistently hurt teams when played out wide. Hence why he's inconsistent. If we're keeping him, it needs to be as part of the midfield three with Travis (and I guess Dack in the more advanced position, although I think Rothwell could play there too). Otherwise he's just a talented player shoehorned out wide. Rothwell has weaknesses, but lack of pace isn't one of them. His ability to run with the ball at speed is frightening for defenders, but he deffo needs to improve his end product and I agree is not an out & out winger.

I keep on hearing about Buckley's talent, but all I see is a frail man that Championship defenders bully. He's going to have to speed up his processes to overcome that, because I doubt he's got the frame to bulk up without losing pace. Does he have pace anyway? I don't think so, and like others have said a lack of pace & strength hasn't stopped other players succeeding in the game (Tugay being one in his early days, Scott Sellars, Gordon Cowans another, just 3 ex-Rovers players without pace or bulk who did very well for us).

8 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Dann was a shithouse and Duffy couldn’t head a ball in the intended direction, never seen a player so bad from set pieces. Lenihan is streets ahead of both of them 

Dann has played 10 seasons in the Premiership under managers such as Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew & Roy Hodgson whereas at the age of 26 Lenihan has never played above the mid table of the Championship.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Dann has played 10 seasons in the Premiership under managers such as Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew & Roy Hodgson whereas at the age of 26 Lenihan has never played above the mid table of the Championship.

Dann was and is absolute garbage. Plenty of donkeys have played in the Premier League. And to claim that someone playing under that clown Pardew shows his quality is a daft argument.

• Like 3

Third or fourth time I’ve heard Joe Rankin-Costello referred to as not very potent with his attacking. It’s his main bloody deal. Carried our youth team at times in the last four years. Missed him a lot when injured. He can score goals, pick some good passes. He’s been a victim of a defensive position I think.

Check out his goal vs Burnley here. 

30 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Yet the min he went to Brighton he stated heading them in the right end.

To be fair he made a decent alehouse type Prem defender. Agree though a total s###house of a guy. Morals in the sewer.

Both were plonked in here to get fit get games and increase in value. Intention a quick stepping stone.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, JoeH said:

Third or fourth time I’ve heard Joe Rankin-Costello referred to as not very potent with his attacking. It’s his main bloody deal. Carried our youth team at times in the last four years. Missed him a lot when injured. He can score goals, pick some good passes. He’s been a victim of a defensive position I think.

I think Carried our youth team is abit over the top there Joe but he is one thats will became a regular in the team over the coming seasons.