BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, JoeH said:

Third or fourth time I’ve heard Joe Rankin-Costello referred to as not very potent with his attacking. It’s his main bloody deal. Carried our youth team at times in the last four years. Missed him a lot when injured. He can score goals, pick some good passes. He’s been a victim of a defensive position I think.

Check out his goal vs Burnley here. 

I'll check out any goal against Burnley! 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Carried our youth team is abit over the top there Joe but he is one thats will became a regular in the team over the coming seasons. 

I don’t think it’s over the top at all. Whilst a big injury in the middle should be considered, for over four years he’s been instrumental for our Under 23’s. 

Just now, JoeH said:

I don’t think it’s over the top at all. Whilst a big injury in the middle should be considered, for over four years he’s been instrumental for our Under 23’s. 

He;s has been a good player for the under 23 over the years. granted, 

Just now, Bohinen 22 said:

Dann was and is absolute garbage. Plenty of donkeys have played in the Premier League. And to claim that someone playing under that clown Pardew shows his quality is a daft argument.

It's about levels though isn't it Dann's level is premier league and he is a decent premier league centre back. You don't play 10 seasons in the Premiership unless you have something about you. Sadly we didn't see the best of him a Rovers but I think that was due to the players surrounding him.

As for Pardew not sure why you call him a clown, he managed for a long time in the top flight and achieved multiple top half finishes including finishing as high as 5th once. So he must know something about the league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yet the min he went to Brighton he stated heading them in the right end.

To be fair he made a decent alehouse type Prem defender. Agree though a total s###house of a guy. Morals in the sewer.

Both were plonked in here to get fit get games and increase in value. Intention a quick stepping stone.

Danns value decreased surely .....

I don't think either player wanted to play for us , though ...

• Like 1

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Danns value decreased surely .....

I don't think either player wanted to play for us , though ...

Think they just about covered what they'd paid for him in the end.

About 3.5 million not the 7 million that gets banded about.

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Third or fourth time I’ve heard Joe Rankin-Costello referred to as not very potent with his attacking. It’s his main bloody deal. Carried our youth team at times in the last four years. Missed him a lot when injured. He can score goals, pick some good passes. He’s been a victim of a defensive position I think.

Until he does it for the first team it is pretty irrelevant, although as you said playing him at full back wont help.

I havent seen much in his appearances to make me excited, seems quite slow, at times fairly hesitant and nothing special technically. But he needs to play out wide more.

My fear for him is that Mowbray sees him as a utility player rather than playing him in his natural position. With no one nailing down the wide spot he needs to be played there more often.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Dann was a shithouse and Duffy couldn’t head a ball in the intended direction, never seen a player so bad from set pieces. Lenihan is streets ahead of both of them 

Before he left in very poor circumstances, many on here used to sing his praises and even love his dad's tweets. Until the end, he was a lot better player than is stated here. If all are fit which would get in the Eire side......Duffy, Lenihan or Williams. I suspect we all know the answer but because he left us in very terrible circumstances many will not admit it.

Dann was poor here though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think Butterworth and JRC are better than OK. Agree that Buckley looks lightweight but you can tell he's a talented footballer. I haven't seen Vale yet but Mowbray raves about him so he's another one. We won't be far off a 1st team of Academy Grads soon. 

I agree, all those gave potential as good Championship players. JRC is an intelligent footballer who can play any where. Played right wing-back for the U-23 lately. Very involved forward and scored a few as well. Suprisingly good in the air. 

Butterworth is very sharp. Direct, Great left foot, flair, bit arrogant and greedy. Have struggled with a Long term back injury all season. Not sure what the status is. Would've been involved if not according to Mowbray. 

Massive fan of Buckley, think he has the most potential of the lot. Has a lot of fans among senior players and Staff. Can create, score, pass and go past People. Great work-rate too. However probably the one Who needs most time to adapt. Needs to fill out a bit, but more important 1 second quick er decision making and finding pocket of space. Good signs towards the end of season. 

Jack Vale is another favorite of mine. Good allround striker with a bit of everything. Led the line well for the U-23 although he's not the biggest. Good balance, decent pace and can go past a player. Appearantly the New nutmeg king in Dacks absense according to Bennett. Might need a loan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I'm not sure what a highlight of a goal for our U23s proves. I could post a video of Derrick Williams pinging in a goal for our first team. It doesn't make Williams a potent attacker. 

• Like 2

Yes, Duffy played abysmally in one game in a Rovers shirt. But, Dann, Duffy, Hanley, all were excellent players at Championship level, and have proven their worth in PL. Trashing them today makes no sense, obviously all are on backside of their careers now.  

Dann & Hanley were with Rovers when I first became a fan; Dann scored the 1st Rovers goal I ever saw on TV, in FA Cup match at Ewood vs ManCity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

He could carry them all he wants.  That's boys football and has no real relation to mens championship top level football...lets be fair, bottom of premier league is similar to top of the championship,  so we are looking to operate at that level, a right footed left back is no good for me.

• Like 1

Denis Irwin, Javier Zanetti and Paulo Maldini all played a considerable number of games as right footed left backs, regarded as at least world class and with the latter 2 I'd say genuine legends of the game. Not a problem having a left back be right footed as long as a)they know how to effectively play the position and b) have a moderate left foot

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, alex l said:

Denis Irwin, Javier Zanetti and Paulo Maldini all played a considerable number of games as right footed left backs, regarded as at least world class and with the latter 2 I'd say genuine legends of the game. Not a problem having a left back be right footed as long as a)they know how to effectively play the position and b) have a moderate left foot

Not forgetting one of our most notable players this century was a right-footed left midfielder.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A young lad being criticised because he's been thrown in to the first team, acquitted himself well in a unfamiliar position and has shown obvious potential.

'Yeah, but, he only scored a great goal in the U23's so that proves nothing'  FFS!

Goals were the same size in both standards of football last time I checked Hoochie. If that had Ederson in goal it wasn’t being saved. Terrific goal and the technique to bend it out and then in was fantastic. 

Alas, our resident expert considers him hesitant and nothing special technically though. Thank fuck he isn’t our scout because his ability to spot a player is about as non-existent as the hesitancy in JRCs game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex l said:

The attacking ability of full backs was less important then. Obviously those 3 brought a threat going forwards because they were world class. But one of the main reason wingers playing on the 'opposite' side works is because its balanced out by having a full back who can whip in a cross with their stronger foot. Most obvious modern day example being liverpool with salah/trent and mane/Robertson. Which is very similar to what Mowbray has been trying to do tactically since Dacks injury. Imagine how much more potent our left side would be if Armstrong who fits the mould well, had a full back to knock the ball back too when he hits a dead end, and said full back could whip a quality delivery in first time.

• Like 1

Lenihen is growing into a steady solid basic second tier defender who can serve us in the position for a number of years if they don't sell him. What we need is to marry him up with similar and get a decent keeper behind them to give us that reliable base season in season out.

Seems they'd prefer to loan in ball playing center backs though who can launch a pass over a static deep sitting midfield. At this level that usually comes at the cost of that player not being as good defensively as he might be with the ball. That's the gamble, give me no frills defenders who can do the basics well over that any day of the week.

Concentrate on getting in those who can create further up the park this is the championship remember.

• Like 7

I like JRC and think he is an exciting prospect. He certainly appears to have natural ability and a forward thinking attitude, and doesn't seem afraid of getting into dangerous positions and taking responsibility for a shot.

However I don't think I've seen much to indicate creativity. His pass for Gallagher at Sheff Wed was sublime though. I'm hoping to see more of him in a more naturally attacking role next season and all power to him; he seems like a swashbuckling up n downer type to me rather than someone blessed with creative wizardry.

• Like 2

When you rise through the ranks it affords you a bit of breathing space and quite rightly. It won't last forever but i think if you read around on here most see Lenihen for what he is.  He has limitations and stuff to improve on but overall he's average to good, potential to be solid but unspectacular.

Reading of the game is a weak point of Nyambe and in particular Bell but surely it comes with age and games.

4 hours ago, alex l said:

They need to be better than moderate with their left foot otherwise they're coming inside all the time and congesting play.