BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Yes, Duffy played abysmally in one game in a Rovers shirt. But, Dann, Duffy, Hanley, all were excellent players at Championship level, and have proven their worth in PL. Trashing them today makes no sense, obviously all are on backside of their careers now.  

Dann & Hanley were with Rovers when I first became a fan; Dann scored the 1st Rovers goal I ever saw on TV, in FA Cup match at Ewood vs ManCity. 

Jesus you only started supporting us when we had Dann & Hanley?! You poor fucker 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When you rise through the ranks it affords you a bit of breathing space and quite rightly. It won't last forever but i think if you read around on here most see Lenihen for what he is.  He has limitations and stuff to improve on but overall he's average to good, potential to be solid but unspectacular.

Reading of the game is a weak point of Nyambe and in particular Bell but surely it comes with age and games.

Some players never wise up ie Jones at Man Utd, he's still making the same mistakes as he was at 17. Then you get the likes of Wayne Rooney who knew all you need to know at 17.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Swanson said:

This guy has 74 followers, so 99% of this is probably incorrect. But I will post it anyway since there is not much else going on. Silly season isn't it? ?‍♂️

20200802_105107.jpg

20200802_105052.jpg

20200802_105031.jpg

I'd have Etheridge and Chester tbf.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Swanson said:

This guy has 74 followers, so 99% of this is probably incorrect. But I will post it anyway since there is not much else going on. Silly season isn't it? ?‍♂️

20200802_105107.jpg

20200802_105052.jpg

20200802_105031.jpg

Etheridge would be a shrewd purchase but I suspect there are 3 million reasons why this tweet ain't true.......unless the first tweet is also true. [the rumour earlier in the week about a bid on the table of 10 mill possbily leads that the first one could be true]

James Chester I can take it or leave it if true 

• Like 1

Won’t quote everyone as I’m on my phone and it’s a nightmare to do.

But I think the double standards when discussing Joe Rankin-Costello vs discussions about Scott Wharton are astounding. Maybe it’s simply a case of one is local and the other is a former United player?

I showed that goal because bending a curling “Armstrong like” goal in from that kind of range isn’t affected in any way by the level you’re playing at. He has an excellent goals and assists record in the U23’s.

JRC has played six or seven times the amount of games for our first team than Scott Wharton has, and seems to be judged VERY harshly despite some good performances. Wharton is discussed as a completely viable option for our defence despite never playing a Championship game for us at CB ?.

Either it genuinely is the, “stick up for the local lad” thing, or people are just that desperate to plug a hole in our defence.

Armstrong to Watford - could see Watford being interested in a guy who's had a good Championship season.

Chester - would be a good signing.  Sadly, if Stoke and PNE also interested, don't think we'll be at the races.

Etheridge - IMO, finance wise, way out of our league.  As I've said before, think the bottom line is Mowbray needs to bring in a minimum of £10million in fees and save £5million+ on wages.

I don't even think we are shopping at Home Bargains but sadly trawling the soup kitchens! 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

But I think the double standards when discussing Joe Rankin-Costello vs discussions about Scott Wharton are astounding. Maybe it’s simply a case of one is local and the other is a former United player?

I showed that goal because bending a curling “Armstrong like” goal in from that kind of range isn’t affected in any way by the level you’re playing at. He has an excellent goals and assists record in the U23’s.

JRC has played six or seven times the amount of games for our first team than Scott Wharton has, and seems to be judged VERY harshly despite some good performances. Wharton is discussed as a completely viable option for our defence despite never playing a Championship game for us at CB ?.

Either it genuinely is the, “stick up for the local lad” thing, or people are just that desperate to plug a hole in our defence.

It looks to me more like JRC is being touted for the first team PROVIDED it's in his correct position (down the right), while Wharton is seen as a back up option in defence.

Edited by Mike E

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Wharton actually played against Burton in the championship under Coyle. Dont think he's made a league appearance since though.

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Wharton actually played against Burton in the championship under Coyle. Dont think he's made a league appearance since though.

Ah, one then not zero. Thankfully missed that fixture.

5 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A young lad being criticised because he's been thrown in to the first team, acquitted himself well in a unfamiliar position and has shown obvious potential.

'Yeah, but, he only scored a great goal in the U23's so that proves nothing'  FFS!

How is he being criticised? Jesus christ. Ability shown in the under 23s is reason to be excited to an extent but also it doesnt always equate to players making the step up. i Look at Nuttall as an example, scoring every week for the u23s, not up to it for the first team. I am not saying that will happen to Rankin Costello.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Goals were the same size in both standards of football last time I checked Hoochie. If that had Ederson in goal it wasn’t being saved. Terrific goal and the technique to bend it out and then in was fantastic. 

Alas, our resident expert considers him hesitant and nothing special technically though. Thank fuck he isn’t our scout because his ability to spot a player is about as non-existent as the hesitancy in JRCs game.

Am I the "resident expert" you mention? If not, apologies but if so you can shove your insults up your arse.

If so, I have based my analysis on first team football ie where it matters. I dont think hes stood out, equally he has not looked out of place and I have acknowledged repeatedly that he has not been played in his correct position and indeed asked for him to be played in his correct position where I am hopeful that he would really impress as I am fearful that he will be seen by the manager as a utility player. 

In his first team games when he approached the penalty box he at times was a little indecisive and his crosses in the main were overhit. Theres no point pretending otherwise just because he is a young lad but equally I repeatedly acknowledge that id like to see him play in his correct position and that he did ok. Is that an unfair witchhunt or indeed constructive criticism.

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Why would one being local and one being from United matter?! Conspiracy theory. Lowe was local, Travis came from elsewhere, look how they were rated.

I dont know if it is because you attend the u23 games but you seem to consider performances for them as more important than League performances. Wharton hasnt from the sound of it been competent at League 2 level, he has stood out. That doesnt seem to mean anything at all. Rankin Costello has impressed playing with and against other kids and done ok in an unfamiliar position so far in the Championship.

People at most are asking Wharton to be in an around the squad in a weak area. Exactly where Rankin Costello is.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

Any chance we still have a sell-on attached to Duffy? Sounds like Brighton will be looking to sell him.

I'd assume King will be leaving Bournemouth and I think it was confirmed we have a sell-on clause for him.

Add in further payment from Brentford for Raya if they get promoted (I think I saw the LT mention that recently), and that could be a decent amount incoming for previously sold players...

While I'm at it on sell-ons, going by the terms of the tribunal decision, just noticed we would've gotten 20% of the profit on Mahoney's transfers to Millwall last summer, so £135,000 (if the reported £1.1m fee is to be believed). Hurray!

• Like 1

Funny old game!

I remember rejoicing, watching United and Phil Jones at Sunderland, after the final whistle, getting the news that they had lost the league right at the death.

Then, I realised that the result meant Rovers losing out on a further £1 million, as part of our original sale!

Didn't quite stop my joy, though!

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Seems fairly critical to me. And inaccurate. 

If I had said these things and concluded that hes no good and has no hope then it would be fair to say that i was being overly critical. I dont think he is that fast but then again i have never seen anyone claim that he is. Technically, competent enough but has he stood out? No. Will playing at left back help? No. And there have been a few occasions where he has dithered when he has had the ball in the final third, in particular v Fulham which might have been a bit of home debut stage fright, and v Luton in the first half when we had them pinned in for a bit.

Can only base on what I have seen in the first team. Maybe he was initially a little overawed as he has grown into it a little but hes definitely not a left back. 

Ive also acknowledged his best performance at Cardiff when he went on a good run at the start and also his pass for the goal at Hillsbrough. Not ruling him out, not dismissing playing out of position, equally not going to exaggerate to make out that hes stood out. Hope to see him on the left wing where Mowbray thinks he is best.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If I had said these things and concluded that hes no good and has no hope then it would be fair to say that i was being overly critical. I dont think he is that fast but then again i have never seen anyone claim that he is. Technically, competent enough but has he stood out? No. Will playing at left back help? No. And there have been a few occasions where he has dithered when he has had the ball in the final third, in particular v Fulham which might have been a bit of home debut stage fright, and v Luton in the first half when we had them pinned in for a bit.

Can only base on what I have seen in the first team. Maybe he was initially a little overawed as he has grown into it a little but hes definitely not a left back. 

Ive also acknowledged his best performance at Cardiff when he went on a good run at the start and also his pass for the goal at Hillsbrough. Not ruling him out, not dismissing playing out of position, equally not going to exaggerate to make out that hes stood out. Hope to see him on the left wing where Mowbray thinks he is best.

Without being too much of a contrarian I would argue that having a few games at left back would give a would be attacking player some knowledge of the pluses and minuses of what playing at full back entails. If the lad has football intelligence a short spell there won't have been wasted and he may use what he has learnt to his advantage.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without being too much of a contrarian I would argue that having a few games at left back would give a would be attacking player some knowledge of the pluses and minuses of what playing at full back entails. If the lad has football intelligence a short spell there won't have been wasted and he may use what he has learnt to his advantage.

My footy coach made me a much better defender by sticking me in goal for a few games.

I knew what my keeper needed from me after that.

Similarly JRC could learn where best to meet cross-field balls, or the impact on LB of his natural position losing possession etc. Plenty to learn.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just like Giggsy, he played left back to get used to football ????

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Of course but we obviously know with senior players that Mowbray likes a player who can play in different positions but especially given our troubles in wide areas, I would like to see him played there next to see how he is capable of impacting games with goals and assists.

It's not that I believe @roversfan99 and other posters are being incredibly over the top in their criticisms of Joe Rankin-Costello, it's that I feel certain youth players get a harder time than others and I don't really get it. I think you're right that it can't be about home grown status, as John Buckley is even more so scrutinised and he has been at the club since a very young age. 

I don't know whether its positional really. Travis and Wharton are in defensive positions where its much harder to quantify the ability they are brining to the side, and is quite easy to under or over state their abilities. With attacking based players, people judge them on their goals and assists way too heavily and I feel that maybe there is a pressure there.

The original criticism against Rankin-Costello is that he doesn't have the attacking potency, but that is an unsubstantiated claim, as he IS an attacking player. 100% I believe he has been victim to playing out of position.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

how he is capable of impacting games with goals and assists.

You see here, this kind of comment backs up my thoughts on this. Defensive players are judged on all sorts of things, their running, positioning, tracking back, interceptions, finding a pass.

With attacking players its, how many goals does he have? We never turn around and say okay let's judge Defender A solely on how many we've conceded as a team, I wish that our attacking youth players could be judged on ALL of their playing merits just like certain others.

I don't think anyone has been particularly harsh on JRC, I just think people are lenient with others and seem to have an unexplainable bias that I can't quite fathom.

Edited by JoeH