BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Brereton gets slaughtered by most fans I speak to, but to the great credit of the Ewood crowd they still really get behind him when he’s on the pitch. SG also gets a load of grief.

I’ve not heard a single person write off Buckley either on here or at Ewood - how many have written Brereton off?

Fans opinion will always differ, don’t disagree, but to say it’s ‘bias’ or ‘an agenda’ if someone has a differing opinion on JRC’s form so far is non sensical.

p.s, Hill? Bloody hell! How far back we going :lol:

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The whole point is that people should be as harsh on Wharton as they are on JRC. Simple really. I don't think both players are being judged in the same parameters and I find it confusing. 

I rate Costello too, but if you're looking for explanations, it's probably a lot to do with we haven't seen Wharton for more than a couple of seasons, only heard he is doing well. Meanwhile we have seen JRC, recently, and for some (not me) he hasn't impressed. Basically Wharton represents the slightly unknown youth player who has played well at the level he has been sent to (it's a low level but that's the level hes been sent to) and JRC represents the 'known' quantity youth player.

You can rest assured that if he was a bit naff in his first couple of games for us, the same people would stop pushing for Wharton's involvement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Lack of a cb is a recurring theme for town team trials.  I got shunted from CF to play there.  Had a shocker ?

And yet I was a (pretty decent) CB and never got to go to town team trials. *shrug*

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Same guy that said we had bid for Jordan Jones..

Whilst I'm not at all convinced by the look of this fella's twitter account when it comes to reliability, this would be a very good signing I think. Good keeper, good age. Stood out in a struggling side last year. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

If we've bid for Dillon Phillips that's good news, although with the amount of clubs interested/bidding, I imagine that'll be a "We tried for Phillips but couldn't get him here" type come the inevitable fans forum in a few months time.

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I rate Costello too, but if you're looking for explanations, it's probably a lot to do with we haven't seen Wharton for more than a couple of seasons, only heard he is doing well. Meanwhile we have seen JRC, recently, and for some (not me) he hasn't impressed. Basically Wharton represents the slightly unknown youth player who has played well at the level he has been sent to (it's a low level but that's the level hes been sent to) and JRC represents the 'known' quantity youth player.

You can rest assured that if he was a bit naff in his first couple of games for us, the same people would stop pushing for Wharton's involvement.

Absolutely - as one of the people who has been pushing for Wharton to be involved with the first team next season, I'm all for him being moved on in January if he's clearly not up to snuff.

It's a meritocracy after all, I just don't understand why he wouldn't be given a go considering his decent CV - it's a cloggers league, a young player who has done well in League Two should be viewed with a mild sense of excitement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The whole point is that people should be as harsh on Wharton as they are on JRC. Simple really. I don't think both players are being judged in the same parameters and I find it confusing. 

I think most people are just saying that Wharton should be given a chance to see what he can do before he's written off. At that stage people can give a more measured view of him in the context of our squad. 

JRC has already been afforded that chance, albeit playing out of position for the most part. The contrasting views you're seeing is understandable given he's been played out of position, he's played in a team that's underperformed at the end of the season and not everyone has seen him regularly for the U23s, so potentially don't know what he's about.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

It's not that I believe @roversfan99 and other posters are being incredibly over the top in their criticisms of Joe Rankin-Costello, it's that I feel certain youth players get a harder time than others and I don't really get it. I think you're right that it can't be about home grown status, as John Buckley is even more so scrutinised and he has been at the club since a very young age. 

I don't know whether its positional really. Travis and Wharton are in defensive positions where its much harder to quantify the ability they are brining to the side, and is quite easy to under or over state their abilities. With attacking based players, people judge them on their goals and assists way too heavily and I feel that maybe there is a pressure there.

The original criticism against Rankin-Costello is that he doesn't have the attacking potency, but that is an unsubstantiated claim, as he IS an attacking player. 100% I believe he has been victim to playing out of position.

You see here, this kind of comment backs up my thoughts on this. Defensive players are judged on all sorts of things, their running, positioning, tracking back, interceptions, finding a pass.

With attacking players its, how many goals does he have? We never turn around and say okay let's judge Defender A solely on how many we've conceded as a team, I wish that our attacking youth players could be judged on ALL of their playing merits just like certain others.

I don't think anyone has been particularly harsh on JRC, I just think people are lenient with others and seem to have an unexplainable bias that I can't quite fathom.

I think you are looking for an agenda or bias that isnt there to correlate your own personal opinions.

If anything, as a regular goer of the Under 23 games, maybe you have a bit more of soft spot towards Rankin Costello who ultimately has been playing kids football whilst Wharton has been playing League 2 football, which you are dismissive of.

He is an attacking player but he hasnt shown that for the first team, with mitigating circumstances. Just trying to figure him out, not the paciest, crossing has been a bit wayward, on the ball he is ok. Travis came into the first team and stood out straight away. Carter and Magloire looked a bit off, especially the former. Rankin Costello has been in the middle, even considering he is playing out of position, he has not stood out like a sore thumb as a weakness either.

Also, for the third goal v Reading he was sliding all over the place diving in, but I just wrote that off owed to playing out of position. If a senior full back had done that, it would have been correctly picked apart as was the mistake earlier by Travis.

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

It’s really disheartening to see so many fans writing off so many of our academy products, and as @JoeH picked up on its also bizarre in its inconsistency. They seem to be able to do no wrong, or they are shit in the eyes of many. They get it badly wrong at times too... the one homegrown player to win the league with us got crucified throughout the decade he played in the first team.

As a vocal detractor of the current regime, seeing a really talented crop of youngsters coming through is something I could really get behind, and really excites me. I’d love to see the likes of Buckley, Rankin-Costello and Vale become mainstays of our team, and I’d much rather them get ample game time to be given the opportunity to flourish.

I really hope we use all available finance to strengthen in the areas we really need to, ie. Goalkeeper, and not waste wages on loaning players who’ve come through from premier league teams with no hope of breaking in their first teams, or ageing pros who’s best days are long behind them. We have a lot of depth with these young lads. None of them are mugs, and they will only realise their potential by playing.

Who has written them off?

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

How could they be as harsh on Wharton, hes not been at the club for years! Nothing to judge on really.

And who is being harsh on Rankin Costello? I dont think I have seen one person suggest that he isnt worth persevering with, or that he doesnt deserve another chance.

My personal opinion on Wharton is, very impressive feedback from the loan spells, of course question marks regarding the standard hes been at, but worth having as 3rd or 4th choice potentially, certainly over Carter who I thought looked quite a bit away at the moment and probably needs a loan spell similar.

My personal opinion on Rankin Costello is, has not really stood out much, but has played almost all of his football out of position in the first team. Again, like Wharton, wouldnt be in my starting 11 on the opening day next season I dont think, but adds an option in the wider roles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Did you get in?

Not that season and not at centre half !  Being fair to the coach he was new to the area and he didn't know any of us properly. He had our star centre forward ( who signed for Hull on leaving school )  playing in centre midfield until somebody had word with him. Having said that he was a natural and he played centre midfield like he'd played there all his life. Then he discovered beer, fags and women and that was that ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

And yet I was a (pretty decent) CB and never got to go to town team trials. *shrug*

It used to all depend on who was put forward by individual schools PE teachers. To be honest I don't think a lot of kids fancied playing centre half at school.  All that heading ? The lad who actually played in town team I referred to really fancied himself as a midfield player and later on  played there but funnily enough he was nothing like as good as the player he was at centre half.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Lack of a cb is a recurring theme for town team trials.  I got shunted from CF to play there.  Had a shocker ?

I was a striker and they shunted me into left back in a 2 man defence!!! They never asked me back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Academy players get a lot more leeway from fans on here that's for certain. If Williams had put in performances in like Carter did he would have been slaughtered. If Johnson had given the ball away like Travis did for one of Leeds and Reading's goals he'd have been hammered. If Bell had defended like JRC did at times he'd have taken plenty of flack.  As it was none of them got much stick at all on here.

The difference in expectations by fans of senior experienced pros and lads learning their trade on the job. Really there is nothing unusual or out of order about it.

• Like 1

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

You have to have had a great season if your a goalkeeper and won player of the season for a relegated team.

Not REALLY related, but Charlton seem to have a  recent knack of having underrated keepers moving on to better teams:

Phillips, Rudd, Pope, Etheridge, Alnwick, Elliott, Randolph in the last decade alone.

I think Carson came from them too, joining Pope as an obvious highlight.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not REALLY related, but Charlton seem to have a  recent knack of having underrated keepers moving on to better teams:

Phillips, Rudd, Pope, Etheridge, Alnwick, Elliott, Randolph in the last decade alone.

I think Carson came from them too, joining Pope as an obvious highlight.

Quite a list when you think that they've spent a good chunk of that time in L1. For his flaws, the only player at Ewood in the same bracket over the same period is Raya.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Wouldn’t be a bad signing to be fair, we linked with him 

James Chester is a steady no nonsense defender. Just what we need. A free transfer also so could happen if James want to come. Bbrovers seems to know his stuff. 

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chester has a dodgy knee or knees, might be a risky one. Seems more of a recommendation than a link anyway.

Phillips would be a good keeper to bring in but I am skeptical about him being affordable and also us being first in any queue. But would be a good signing.

Might be a combination of getting a Transfer C list defender so we can afford a Transfer A list goalkeeper?

I can imagine Ryan Shotton similarly being a Mowbray target.