Place of birth Hornchurch, England
Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)[2]
Playing position(s) Goalkeeper
Club information
Current team
Blackburn Rovers
Number

Usual transfer window oddities.

Someone amended Travs page the other week. All based off 1 twitter rumour.

Never understood why people do it.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Looks like someone got a bit premature on the Wikipedia site. No idea who Phillips is, but he might be good.

Shotton would have been good a few years ago, from when Pulls and Hughes were managers but he may have gotten too old and slow since then.

Same age as Chester. We've had good spells out of ageing defenders before with Mulgrew, Short, Gale (obviously different levels). In fact I'd argue 29-34 is a central defender's prime.

However I do agree his knee injury could be a concern.

Edited by Mike E

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Brereton gets slaughtered by most fans I speak to, but to the great credit of the Ewood crowd they still really get behind him when he’s on the pitch. SG also gets a load of grief.

I’ve not heard a single person write off Buckley either on here or at Ewood - how many have written Brereton off?

Fans opinion will always differ, don’t disagree, but to say it’s ‘bias’ or ‘an agenda’ if someone has a differing opinion on JRC’s form so far is non sensical.

p.s, Hill? Bloody hell! How far back we going :lol:

I haven’t mentioned bias or agenda, just pointing out that our fans are historically quick to write off some players, and have unlimited patience with others. Hill and Wilcox show it’s been going on as long as I’ve been watching Rovers!

Of course everyone’s entitled to their opinion and to voice it (pretty much as freely as they like on the internet as far as I’m concerned... booing your own players at a game is obviously a different matter). To be honest I see more of what I consider to be flimsy defence of Brereton than grief. Opinions and perspectives again I suppose. It’s a funny one with him... as much as the price tag might increase the pressure on him, it also means he’s afforded far more chances than an academy player would be. If we hadn’t paid so much he wouldn’t still be here. Personally I’d give academy products leeway before an expensive signing who’s been in and around the first team for two years. 

Can’t (or can’t be arsed to) dig out the comments or tweets about Buckley or any of the others, but I’ve seen plenty of “he’s not good enough” and “get rids”.

Don't know much about James Chester but given that he's only 5ft 11,  he doesn't strike me as the dominant cb we need.  According to the Stoke forum (where he's been on loan), he's also slow and they don't want him.  

But if he's a nice bloke and free, he'll probably rock up here on a nice  3 yr deal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I haven’t mentioned bias or agenda, just pointing out that our fans are historically quick to write off some players, and have unlimited patience with others. Hill and Wilcox show it’s been going on as long as I’ve been watching Rovers!

Of course everyone’s entitled to their opinion and to voice it (pretty much as freely as they like on the internet as far as I’m concerned... booing your own players at a game is obviously a different matter). To be honest I see more of what I consider to be flimsy defence of Brereton than grief. Opinions and perspectives again I suppose. It’s a funny one with him... as much as the price tag might increase the pressure on him, it also means he’s afforded far more chances than an academy player would be. If we hadn’t paid so much he wouldn’t still be here. Personally I’d give academy products leeway before an expensive signing who’s been in and around the first team for two years. 

Can’t (or can’t be arsed to) dig out the comments or tweets about Buckley or any of the others, but I’ve seen plenty of “he’s not good enough” and “get rids”.

Didn’t say you did think people were biased, we know who that was. Difference is that I take everything I read on here with a pitch of salt. This place is not at all representative of the fanbase...and as for Twitter, troll and crank central. Social media you either see ‘he’s shit’ or you get the uber fans who refuse to countenance any criticism at all (think we know who they are on Twitter), there’s little middle ground.

At games I see real pride in the graduates, in fact I’d say far more than was on display in the days of Wilcox or Broomes or Tiny Taylor, because most now realise that the academy is now vital to us as a club in a way it never was in the 90s and 00s. But yes some grads will get more groans than others, always been like that, ‘our fans are historically quick to write off players’, bit of a sweeping statement, I didn’t write off Wilcox and I presume neither did you, some did, of course (handbags and the like), but plenty thought he was a raw but promising winger, so it just amuses me when it’s made out like Ewood is some negative bear pit, not giving leeway to young lads, when in reality it’s just a standard football crowd - some folk have no patience, some just don’t understand the game, don’t get that they are still developing and will make mistakes etc etc.

Fans also realise that £7million for BB is a hell of a lot of money, so there’s a desperation for it to work out and a level of denial (“surely he must get better, I mean 7 MILLION”), with people clinging to whatever they can, I.e the fact he resembled a footballer in some of those post lockdown games, I think it’s fairly clear that most realise he’s been very poor for the most part, can’t speak for where you sit, but around me it was getting beyond criticism to almost embarrassed laughter and knowing looks - but it’s the manager who should have sent him out on loan, but he hasn’t, so fair play to the fans for continuing to get behind him.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t say you did think people were biased, we know who that was. Difference is that I take everything I read on here with a pitch of salt. This place is not at all representative of the fanbase...and as for Twitter, troll and crank central. Social media you either see ‘he’s shit’ or you get the uber fans who refuse to countenance any criticism at all (think we know who they are on Twitter), there’s little middle ground.

At games I see real pride in the graduates, in fact I’d say far more than was on display in the days of Wilcox or Broomes or Tiny Taylor, because most now realise that the academy is now vital to us as a club in a way it never was in the 90s and 00s. But yes some grads will get more groans than others, always been like that, ‘our fans are historically quick to write off players’, bit of a sweeping statement, I didn’t write off Wilcox and I presume neither did you, some did, of course (handbags and the like), but plenty thought he was a raw but promising winger, so it just amuses me when it’s made out like Ewood is some negative bear pit, not giving leeway to young lads, when in reality it’s just a standard football crowd - some folk have no patience, some just don’t understand the game etc etc.

Fans also realise that £7million for BB is a hell of a lot of money, so there’s a desperation for it to work out and a level of denial (“surely he must get better, I mean 7 MILLION”), with people clinging to whatever they can, I.e the fact he resembled a footballer in some of those post lockdown games, I think it’s fairly clear that most realise he’s been very poor for the most part, can’t speak for where you sit, but around me it was getting beyond criticism to almost laughter and knowing looks and a feeling of embarrassment all round with it - but it’s the manager who should have sent him out on loan, but he hasn’t, so fair play to the fans for continuing to get behind him.

Can’t argue with much of that... although I did say SOME players, not all.

You make a very good point, I’m probably giving far too much credence to what I see on here and Twitter at the moment... I had a big break while the season was halted, since I’ve come back I’ve had far less real world football interaction than I normally would have!

42 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Phillips looks like an absolute quality keeper and still only 24. I really hope we manage to pull this one off. 

James Chester does not sound like the type of signing we should be making. I'd take the young lad Maghoma and a Jake Cooper type player. 

25 not 24, but yeh a good age for a goalie. Should easily have 10 years or more left in him, and likely get better over the next 5 or so.

From that video...not too many I'd put in the 'just wow' category, and I'd say most of them I'd expect Walton to have stopped too. But a few that I think you'd rarely or never see from Walton.

Looks a bit like he has a tendency to parry when he could catch, but that's a modern keeper's disease. A lot of these were pretty much straight at him, and I find saves like that to be overrated, but some he came out well for, some good intentional parries on them (as opposed to it being blasted right at him, which I find it bizarre when a keeper gets praise for) and looks good at stopping them with his feet, which I think is an underrated keeping skill. It bugs me when I see a keeper beaten because they tried to get down to something they could have stopped with their feet.

Only a highlights reel but overall I'm feeling fine about it if we get him at the right price. The real measure of a goalie is in their consistency though, and it's promising he got player of the season for Charlton, a team who I'm sure spent much of the season under the cosh. 65 goals conceded, only 2 more than us despite being 15 points lower.

I wonder what a likely fee would be. A few suitors, and Charlton clearly rate him, but they just got relegated, have financial issues, and Phillips has a year left on his deal with no intention to extend apparently. Plus the current financial climate. A million with a sell-on?

It also occurs to me that TM said his preference is for an experienced, older stopper, and a younger one to learn from them. I doubt Phillips wants to be the understudy.

And just read this: Only Millwall's Bartosz Bialkowski recorded a higher save percentage than the Addicks 'keeper

That sounds good to me! Sign him up.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

On 31/07/2020 at 13:19, JoeH said:

Pissed a few off last at Ewood last season with his celebration but whoever gets Rhian Brewster on loan for 2020/21 gets Top 6 for me. Played very well in 2020 and only getting better.

Liverpool have some wonderful players who are easily good enough to start on our team . Curtis Jones stood out and rhian Brewster has already proved what he can do at this level. Top signing and pushed the into the playoffs .

suerly we can attract some REAL quality like Brewster from some of the big 6, 8 or whatever it is these days. 
menrioned Paris maghoma after seeing 90 minutes of him and he has class, now gone to brentford, another I raved about after one appearance at leyland, Hudson odio, he’s not doing badly in the first team and Ethan ampadu is on loan and will soon be a first team player at Chelsea. Another two players who stuck out after 90 minutes at leyland

where are all our scouts and contacts. I could tell after 45 minutes these lads where good enough and I have a lazy eye ?

Edited by Oldgregg86

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

25 not 24, but yeh a good age for a goalie. Should easily have 10 years or more left in him, and likely get better over the next 5 or so.

From that video...not too many I'd put in the 'just wow' category, and I'd say most of them I'd expect Walton to have stopped too. But a few that I think you'd rarely or never see from Walton.

Looks a bit like he has a tendency to parry when he could catch, but that's a modern keeper's disease. A lot of these were pretty much straight at him, and I find saves like that to be overrated, but some he came out well for, some good intentional parries on them (as opposed to it being blasted right at him, which I find it bizarre when a keeper gets praise for) and looks good at stopping them with his feet, which I think is an underrated keeping skill. It bugs me when I see a keeper beaten because they tried to get down to something they could have stopped with their feet.

Only a highlights reel but overall I'm feeling fine about it if we get him at the right price. The real measure of a goalie is in their consistency though, and it's promising he got player of the season for Charlton, a team who I'm sure spent much of the season under the cosh. 65 goals conceded, only 2 more than us despite being 15 points lower.

I wonder what a likely fee would be. A few suitors, and Charlton clearly rate him, but they just got relegated, have financial issues, and Phillips has a year left on his deal with no intention to extend apparently. Plus the current financial climate. A million with a sell-on?

It also occurs to me that TM said his preference is for an experienced, older stopper, and a younger one to learn from them. I doubt Phillips wants to be the understudy.

And just read this: Only Millwall's Bartosz Bialkowski recorded a higher save percentage than the Addicks 'keeper

That sounds good to me! Sign him up.

I still think the most important qualities for a keeper, are being able to organise the players in front of him and commanding the box. Shot stopping should be a given.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Has any of this criticism of JRC been really over the top? I can’t say I agree. I suppose it depends on interpretations of over the top....

But for me- over the top criticism would be posts like- ‘he’s useless’, he’ll never be a professional’ ‘he hasn’t shown any quality so far’. Etc, etc. 
I am happy to be corrected if I’m wrong, but I’ve seen none of the above attributed to JRC at all on here. 

As you say K-Hod, it all depends on your interpretation of over the top.

Over the top could mean a dramatic game day "oh he's not good enough!!" or, a few weeks after the last ball has been kicked, we could be faced with dozens of posts about how this professional footballer isn't even 'technically competent'.

So, if you are to interpret over the top as dramatic then no, the criticism hasn't been to that level. However, if you define over the top as blatantly not true, then yes, the criticism JRC receives by an albeit extreme minority on here has been.

Most of the time it seems like a slight for the sake of a slight. If we are having it right the criticism isn't even "technically" correct. I've watched him use both feet, you have seen videos of him bending balls into the top corner, he can play in several different positions and yet, on here, it isn't considered over the top to be spouting several times about how incompetent he is technically. It's bullshit, that is what it is. Yet, when challenged, it is a game of opinions. An opinion is like an arsehole, we all have one, and some of them stink, and that particular gripe with JRC stinks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Liverpool have some wonderful players who are easily good enough to start on our team . Curtis Jones stood out and rhian Brewster has already proved what he can do at this level. Top signing and pushed the into the playoffs .

suerly we can attract some REAL quality like Brewster from some of the big 6, 8 or whatever it is these days. 
menrioned Paris maghoma after seeing 90 minutes of him and he has class, now gone to brentford, another I raved about after one appearance at leyland, Hudson odio, he’s not doing badly in the first team and Ethan ampadu is on loan and will soon be a first team player at Chelsea. Another two players who stuck out after 90 minutes at leyland

where are all our scouts and contacts. I could tell after 45 minutes these lads where good enough and I have a lazy eye ?

Joking aside, I'm sure our scouts know about these 16+ y.o. players who've been trained at elite Academies since they were 6. 

It's convincing Liverpool, Chelsea et al to loan them to you for a year. 

Our best Academy players are rejects from their Academies. The stranglehold they have on the game is insane.

• Like 2