BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Young, been with Liverpool nearly 5 years, No first team appearances. I don’t see him getting on the pitch for them anytime soon. Intriguing, if Rovers aren’t looking at him, they should. 

same with Brewster, he tore it up at Swans. 

What makes you say they should out of interest?

For me, no matter how highly rated he is. That is a huge risk to bring in a goalkeeper with no senior experience from another club. We would be reliant on it working out and if it didnt, wed likely only have a semi capable number 2 (like this seaso having to stick with Walton) as an alternative.

Goalkeeper is the worst place to get a kid on loan because obviously he will be more prone to mistakes, which of course cost us and then give back his parent club a better player. With Raya we had a goalkeeper who made mistakes but he was ours at least to develop.

With attacking players its a bit less risky because whilst it is of course not good if they dont work out. You have a series of attacking options at the club and even if they arent the best they probably arent directly costing you goals against like a rookie goalkeeper would.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yes don't forget the flex, another thing only banded about when it suits which is odd seeing as Waggot and co made such a big deal about it not long ago.

Now we are to believe that any decent academy lads at some clubs are all on double what the likes of Downing and Gallagher earn here ?

No doubt true is some cases but there'll be plenty aren't and what happened to splitting the wages in some % or other, has that conveniently suddenly disappeared as well.

I wouldn't be surprised. The PL money has exploded in recent years. 

Remember when Rooney getting paid £300k a week was an outrage. Now it's the norm.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

if thats true its pathetic, we are crying out for  a number 1 with some experience 

Disagree strongly, ability not age is the key.

Walton was 24 and should have been plenty old enough but turned out to be the worst keeper I've ever seen. 

Joe Hart is 33 and has bags of "experience" but would just be an older and way more expensive version of Walton.

Jason Steele also had plenty of "experience" by the time he arrived here but on the whole he was similarly useless. We don't want another crap keeper purely on the basis they're "experienced".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Not really. Because that’s the point of a wage structure. Once you make an exception, it’s open season and every player wants a rise. The cost of which would be much bigger than £12m.

I understand the infatuation with the expenditure on BB and SG. I’ve said a few times that I think their performances will make or break Mowbray. But unless the PL club is willing to pay a high % then the biggest issue is that our wage structure won’t support it. There are lots of clubs with much higher budgets and the ability to squeeze a kid on £45k a week into their  budget. We aren’t one of these. 

A labourer is worthy of his hire.

If you are a skilled CEO, you are able to manage your wage 'structure' and keep most folk happy.

I think £millions have been poured down the toilet on likes of Smallwood, Bell, Hart, Bennett, Leutwiler and we've screwed up on a number of contract negotiations like Mulgrew's.

The bottom line is what is any individual worth to the club.  If they aren't happy with what you have to offer then show them the feckin door.

IMO, some of the contract negotiations at Ewood have been ludicrous and shambolic.  Cases in point, Mowbray himself, Mulgrew and contract extensions for Smallwood and Hart for extended season.

As I've said before, IMO, Ewood is a nous free zone and we wont get anywhere until we have both a CEO and a football manager who can cut the feckin mustard.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Walton was 24 and should have been plenty old enough but turned out to be the worst keeper I've ever seen. 

I was thinking, "That's a bit harsh".

Then I challenged myself to think of a worse one. 

I did eventually manage it, but seems a harsh comparison as he was in my football team and only 10 at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems odd to me that we would wish to pay for this guy without presumably giving his partner Wharton a shot for free.

Does seem a little odd but perhaps Wharton may be part of the squad next season, who knows.

£1m for Charlie Goode is atrocious and we should steer well clear. Scott Wharton the better defender of the two when you analyse their data, if not better at least equally as average. Nowhere near worth £1m when we have Scott Wharton on the books already who seemingly is of the same capabilities.

1480175165_ScreenShot2020-08-03at14_58_57.png.4bd1dfd263dd9598518b1f55236f2b9a.png Blue is Wharton, Red is Goode744759993_ScreenShot2020-08-03at15_00_07.png.5d20a9cdb765351ff9564e4946def100.png

Data shows that despite being 3" shorter, Wharton wins more aerial duels than Goode, has a much better passing game and is pretty much bang on with him for most every other stat. To spend a big sum on a defender that's no better than the lad we already have would simply be silly.

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

£1m for Charlie Goode is atrocious and we should steer well clear. Scott Wharton the better defender of the two when you analyse their data, if not better at least equally as average. Nowhere near worth £1m when we have Scott Wharton on the books already who seemingly is of the same capabilities.

1480175165_ScreenShot2020-08-03at14_58_57.png.4bd1dfd263dd9598518b1f55236f2b9a.png Blue is Wharton, Red is Goode744759993_ScreenShot2020-08-03at15_00_07.png.5d20a9cdb765351ff9564e4946def100.png

Data shows that despite being 3" shorter, Wharton wins more aerial duels than Goode, has a much better passing game and is pretty much bang on with him for most every other stat. To spend a big sum on a defender that's no better than the lad we already have would simply be silly.

True but there must be a bit more to it than just stats. I dont see 5 championship clubs showing an interest in Wharton. QPR, Boro, Preston and us (cant remember the other) have shown an interest in this guy.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

True but there must be a bit more to it than just stats. I dont see 5 championship clubs showing an interest in Wharton. QPR, Boro, Preston and us (cant remember the other) have shown an interest in this guy.

There's always more to it than stats, granted, but things like agents hyping players up, players wanting to move, the availability of a transfer and likelihood of a deal all affect things. I just don't think it's a viable option to get into a bidding war over a player that seemingly isn't much better than something we already have.

For some comparison, here's Tosin and Lenihan compared with Wharton and Goode (bearing in mind the former two are playing in a significantly higher division against tougher opposition).

1290358782_ScreenShot2020-08-03at15_11_22.png.6f5b3f479a51215ac4956cf24738e51e.png414003945_ScreenShot2020-08-03at15_11_15.png.b4d205c8ac7d2fd737d46f9e5bf403f1.png

Just now, JoeH said:

There's always more to it than stats, granted, but things like agents hyping players up, players wanting to move, the availability of a transfer and likelihood of a deal all affect things. I just don't think it's a viable option to get into a bidding war over a player that seemingly isn't much better than something we already have.

The interest shown would suggest that a few clubs think he is Championship standard - their own chairman is quoted as saying that 5 CH clubs have enquired about him. Sure, he might be fanning the flames and might be actively looking to sell him as his club needs money. 

As for Wharton, he needs to be part of the squad or at least sent to a L1 club this coming season.