BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

In itself the lack of goals isn't a problem as long as you contribute in other ways and have players to link up with who do score. Olivier Giroud is a prime example of this - Chelsea and France look much more effective with him in the side, yet he'll get 15 a season at most. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pot of money? Will believe it when ive seen it sadly. A 2m midfielder couldnt be further down the list of priorities.

Of course there’s money!! There always is with Venkys.

My worry, based on what I’ve heard and now the Whiteman update is that we’re scratching around for two keepers on loan and a freebie defence just so we can pay Whitemans fee ?

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bell has to be back up. so we need 1st choice Left back in. But the first 2 targets have to be 1st choice keeper and centre back partner for Lenihan. 

I wonder If Mowbray has already sorted a centre back position by him not mentioning it in talks with Whiteman

I think Tosin and Cunningham are a shoe in to come back. Two young keepers and spend £2m on Whiteman. Let’s see..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The main issue, is that he’s crap. Comes back every year. Every year they’re filled with hope. Then they realise he isn’t quite good enough...

Mowbray saw fit to give him a three year deal last summer. Crap is harsh but I don't think there is a Championship player in there.

Tbf I’m not saying I think Wharton is crap. I haven’t seen enough of him or heard enough about him.

I just see that every season the manager specifically talks about him, openly says he wants to review him and then he ends up back on loan.

No one above league 2 has ever taken him yet which says where his game is. I hope he flies into preseason, convinces the manager he’s the man and becomes another Lenihan, Nyambe or Travis. But I just can’t see it...

Just now, arbitro said:

Mowbray saw fit to give him a three year deal last summer. Crap is harsh but I don't think there is a Championship player in there.

Crap is harsh, I agree. Not quite good enough is more likely. Would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong on him.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Whiteman update, met Tony last Wednesday....they want him but not before they've bought a goalie and a left back.  Midfield is the 3rd priority. If there is 2m left over we will put a bid in.  We have a pot of money.  Derby are very interested too.  The player wants the championship,  not necessarily Rovers. 2m gets the player.

Well that’s about rights isn’t it ? 

we’ve no GK 

our left back options are either crap , want to play C/B or a young right sided midfielder 

midfield Travis Evans Johnson Davenport Buckley at a push Bennett 

if a midfielder is our 1st signing I like many others will be pissed 

• Like 1

Just now, AJW said:

midfield Travis Evans Johnson Davenport Buckley at a push Bennett 

if a midfielder is our 1st signing I like many others will be pissed 

Apart from Travis, there's nobody there of any quality......especially if you want promotion.   I'd be more than happy with a LT and BW central midfield.  Bit of everything there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Crap is harsh, I agree. Not quite good enough is more likely. Would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong on him.

The real problem highlighted here is Mowbrays penchant for awarding contracts and committing the club's money with, in a lot of cases no return. Platt was another example. Most people were shocked when he got a new two year deal last season. After one Carabou Cup match he was sent to Barrow. Similarly Smallwood, Hart, Leutwiler, Gladwin and Mulgrew must have cost the club a significant amount of money.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 9

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf I’m not saying I think Wharton is crap. I haven’t seen enough of him or heard enough about him.

I just see that every season the manager specifically talks about him, openly says he wants to review him and then he ends up back on loan.

No one above league 2 has ever taken him yet which says where his game is. I hope he flies into preseason, convinces the manager he’s the man and becomes another Lenihan, Nyambe or Travis. But I just can’t see it...

You said “the main issue, is that he’s crap” so which one is it, is he crap or not.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Travis wasn't trusted when we were in League 1. So what does that say?

For a long time Bennett was trusted at full back over Nyambe. What does that say?

Harrison Reed wasn't trusted in the centre of midfield over Evans or Smallwood. What does that say?

To me it says that we have a manager who cannot spot talented players when they are right in front of him.

Refusing to play Harrison Reed in centre mid still winds me up. Didnt know his position like smallwood does but one didnt play a league game all season and one is about to start a playoff final.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If there is 2m left over we will put a bid in.

I am confused. If we have met with Ben Whiteman and said would you come but not put in a formal bid, we've acted against the rules and "tapped up" the lad....

1 hour ago, alex l said:

In itself the lack of goals isn't a problem as long as you contribute in other ways and have players to link up with who do score. Olivier Giroud is a prime example of this - Chelsea and France look much more effective with him in the side, yet he'll get 15 a season at most. 

This season just gone was the first time he scored under 15 goals in a season in the last 9 years.

11/12 - 21 goals

12/13 - 19 goals

13/14 - 23 goals

14/15 - 19 goals

15/16 - 34 goals

16/17 - 20 goals

17/18 - 15 goals

18/19 - 17 goals

19/20 - 14 goals

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Still find the Whiteman stuff odd, Mowbray meets with him without a deal with his club sorted, then tells him he has a pot of money to spend but may come back to him later?

Seems very arse about tit!

To me it just sounds like him touching base with a player he knows and fancies having. Then basically just saying look if you don't get sorted and we have any funds near the end of the window we'll try and do something.

Doubt there's anything more to it than that meanwhile it's now out there so other interested parties can act and TM gets a thank you card for getting the ball rolling !

Just now, LeftWinger said:

This season just gone was the first time he scored under 15 goals in a season in the last 9 years.

11/12 - 21 goals

12/13 - 19 goals

13/14 - 23 goals

14/15 - 19 goals

15/16 - 34 goals

16/17 - 20 goals

17/18 - 15 goals

18/19 - 17 goals

19/20 - 14 goals

Sorry I should have specified league goals. We're hardly going to be pushing in the cup comps. 

Screenshot_20200804-085057.png

I think if anything the indication that there is a budget is good, and will hopefully lead to Cunningham or Tosin coming back.

Neither of those and I can't see us getting into the top half
One of them we'll be okay
Both back and we're really talking, with Dack back fit and hopefully a few other additions.

@Ewood Ace. I agree with you on how inexperienced they are, though Magloire and Grayson have completed a season out on loan. Unless we bring in a CB or 2,those 7 are it. Mulgrew's not going to play again and Williams really doesn't seem to be in consideration, anymore.

@Sparks Rover Our priorities are GK, LB and CB. It's crazy to regard midfield as our third priority. However, Mowbray may see him as the central player in the 3 of midfield he wants to introduce. If you've got a player who wants to come and we have the funds, you buy him. Then you have your other targets hear a player so upbeat about the club and everything that it could swing them your way or rather our way.Messing him about like this is not doing our stock any good.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The real problem highlighted here is Mowbrays penchant for awarding contracts and committing the club's money with, in a lot of cases no return. Platt was another example. Most people were shocked when he got a new two year deal last season. After one Carabou Cup match he was sent to Barrow. Similarly Smallwood, Hart, Leutwiler, Gladwin and Mulgrew must have cost the club a significant amount of money.

Mahonney when he was here, Hart another bit of an odd signing at the time and now the Wharton situation.  All 3 with the same agent, perhaps he's hard work but it seems like he's another doing alright out of Rovers.

Add in Mowbrays remarks about Wharton about 2 years ago that he's repeated recently, upper body strength. When he makes those kind of remarks it's usually looking for excuses.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course there’s money!! There always is with Venkys.

My worry, based on what I’ve heard and now the Whiteman update is that we’re scratching around for two keepers on loan and a freebie defence just so we can pay Whitemans fee ?

Now that would make complete sense and highlights the way the do things. The way i said the other week complete scattergun arse about tit.

Going into a window needing a keeper and defenders then hearing somebody else in a different position you know and like is available & doable. So altering everything to accommodate that instead which is exactly what i heard about the Bauer thing and you can probably lump Gallagher into that system as well.

No real logic to it at all just grab what you can whilst you can it's not hard to see why set ups like Preston out perform us every season.

• Like 7