BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Tosin and Cunningham are a shoe in to come back. Two young keepers and spend £2m on Whiteman. Let’s see..

Tosin a shoe in to come back?

What makes you believe that?

Seen nothing to suggest Tosin will be coming back here and he has had 2 years in the championship surely wants to test himself at higher level

• Like 6

Whilst Tosin did well for us I am not keen on loaning another centre half. It's been a problem area for some time and I would much rather sign somebody permanent as a priority. I wouldn't be surprised if Tosin cost us over £1m with the wages contribution and loan fee. Bringing him back on loan just means we will more than likely be in the same position next summer. 

• Like 1

If we splash millions out on this Whiteman lad or any other midfielder/forward whilst bringing in the usual loans and frees for GK and CB it is just confirmation of the long held suspicion that the money can only be made available for certain positions.

It is senseless but already we can see it happening. 

Why can't the manager just spend some cash sorting out the back line and pad out the midfield with loans?

Presumably the Whiteman one is another project to try and increase value whilst the GK and CB situations are not worthy of such investment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Only if the owning club has no knowledge. They need money

Ah fair enough. I didn't really know how that worked. I just knew Liverpool had gotten into trouble.

• Backroom

I also think Tosin will come back, he’s not likely to break through at City and if he’s shipped off to the championship on loan again then we’d be front of the line 

Davis at Villa when I’ve seen him is great at hold up play and does everything right until it comes to the finish that he often drags wide 

12 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Fake news, Bell didn’t get a new contract, they triggered a year on his current one because they haven’t found a lb (said so at fans forum), Samuel had one contract and basically hasn’t played for us for two years, fit or not and Smallwood completely frozen out too for 18 months...

Theyre having Wharton watched most weeks. We’re massively short of CB’s as you know. But he’s just not seen as the answer.

I can't see us being able to retain 4 or 5 centre halves all of whom are considered to be nailed on first team players. If we get 3 we'll be doing well. We'll always need a couple of fringe players that can fill in there from time to time. Until I see evidence to the contrary I can't see why Wharton shouldn't be given a chance to be one of those players.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

Just now, Tom said:

I also think Tosin will come back, he’s not likely to break through at City and if he’s shipped off to the championship on loan again then we’d be front of the line 

Didn't work like that with Reed. And we might not be able to afford Tosin again, especially if Citeh ask Rovers to pay a higher chunk of his wages.

56 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Sorry. Didn't know where to post this. But a piece of former Rover news:

Australia expansion club Macarthur sign ex-Blackburn striker Derbyshire

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-australia-macarthur/australia-expansion-club-macarthur-sign-ex-blackburn-striker-derbyshire-idUKKCN2500Q9

Always liked Matty Derbs.

34 now! Crazy where that time goes.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2

I think Tosin and Cunningham are a shoe in to come back. 

Why Tosin? Mowbray has said Tosin is Premier League quality, he expects him to be pushing for a regular starting place at City, and he's out of our league at the moment.

Or am I being naive in believing what Mowbray says and he knows what he's talking about

• Like 1

Of course there’s money!! There always is with Venkys.

My worry, based on what I’ve heard and now the Whiteman update is that we’re scratching around for two keepers on loan and a freebie defence just so we can pay Whitemans fee ?

Is there? To be honest, id be pleasantly surprised if theyd even got the budget sorted yet. This idea that we are so active at the moment in the market is almost certaintly inaccurate.

I dont think theres a cat in hells chance of us spending a couple of million on Whiteman.

If we was to follow the scenario you think will happen and loaned in a kid in net whilst spending a couple of million I am sure I wouldnt be alone in being fuming.

Id be amazed if we spent 7 figures in this window without a big sale.

I think Tosin and Cunningham are a shoe in to come back. Two young keepers and spend £2m on Whiteman. Let’s see..

Sadly dont see that happening at all but again id be fuming that we didnt spend that money on a goalkeper.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Why Tosin? Mowbray has said Tosin is Premier League quality, he expects him to be pushing for a regular starting place at City, and he's out of our league at the moment.

Or am I being naive in believing what Mowbray says and he knows what he's talking about

City are signing Ake, perhaps another CB plus have Laporte, Garcia and still even if they are not in favour, Stones and Otamendi on the books. Plus Fernandinho. No chance that hes close to the first team.

I think Mowbray speculated that he might go elsewhere to a Prem side or even to a different league which may be more likely.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Davis at Villa when I’ve seen him is great at hold up play and does everything right until it comes to the finish that he often drags wide 

I increasingly think that this is possible - a few months ago I thought he'd be either City's fourth/fifth choice defender or going to a lower Prem club, but now I'm much less confident.

I can see him being a wanted man for other Championship clubs if he was available, and whilst you'd like to think that we'd be towards the front of the queue it wouldn't surprise me if Bournemouth see him as an affordable Ake replacement. 

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

Don't talk nonsense.

Mowbray says his priority is a goalie, he has a pot of money and, presumably, a list of options.  There is absolutely no excuse.  So Mowbray, IMO, fiddles as Rome burns.  Wont make any other signings and nothing seems to be moving.  To me, it doesn't add up. 

The guy is terminally indecisive. You only have to look at the fact that he still hasn't settled on a way of  playing and his best eleven after 3 full seasons to realise that.

Dean Saunders told a story about Brian Clough. Saunders had been to Cloughie's house to discuss a move. He told Cloughie he'd need to talk it over with his wife. He set off for home in his car, when he got there he found Cloughie sat on his couch smooth talking Saunders wife about the move !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really, he said once theyve sorted those 2 if they have 2m left over they are putting a bid in. It couldnt be any clearer.

Mm, If I was sat on the other side of that desk I'd be thinking " This guy doesn't seem to be that keen to sign me, do I really want to play for him ? "

In my walk of life if I went for an interview for a fitters job and the manager said " I'd like to give you a start son but I need to sign a turner and a milling machine operator first ". I'd be looking for another job somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

Sorry. Didn't know where to post this. But a piece of former Rover news:

Australia expansion club Macarthur sign ex-Blackburn striker Derbyshire

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-australia-macarthur/australia-expansion-club-macarthur-sign-ex-blackburn-striker-derbyshire-idUKKCN2500Q9

We'd be raving about him if he was breaking through now. How times have changed.

3 hours ago, AJW said:

Well that’s about rights isn’t it ? 

we’ve no GK 

our left back options are either crap , want to play C/B or a young right sided midfielder 

midfield Travis Evans Johnson Davenport Buckley at a push Bennett 

if a midfielder is our 1st signing I like many others will be pissed 

Our midfield is poor, especially if we want to play any sort of possession game:

- Evans only plays well when it's contract renewal time.

- Johnson is here for the pay day and is a 1 in 10 player (was also desperately trying to get a suspension post lockdown!)

- Davenport never plays.

- Bennett isn't a Championship calibre player.

I appreciate that CB, LB and GK are priorities, but just because we have bodies in midfield doesn't mean that it's not a huge problem area for us.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Our midfield is poor, especially if we want to play any sort of possession game:

- Evans only plays well when it's contract renewal time.

- Johnson is here for the pay day and is a 1 in 10 player (was also desperately trying to get a suspension post lockdown!)

- Davenport never plays.

- Bennett isn't a Championship calibre player.

I appreciate that CB, LB and GK are priorities, but just because we have bodies in midfield doesn't mean that it's not a huge problem area for us.

Spot on really. Bodies for midfield but not many good players.

Obviously we still have more pressing concerns but our central midfield is pretty dire overall.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I am confused. If we have met with Ben Whiteman and said would you come but not put in a formal bid, we've acted against the rules and "tapped up" the lad....

Might not be totally within the spirit of the rules, but conversations like this happen all the time throughout the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course there’s money!! There always is with Venkys.

My worry, based on what I’ve heard and now the Whiteman update is that we’re scratching around for two keepers on loan and a freebie defence just so we can pay Whitemans fee ?

So yet again defence is neglected at the expense of other areas...and we wonder why we ship goals..

There should only be one priority at Ewood -strengtgen the defence/keeper.  We have reasonable academy cover in other areas of the pitch  but nobody stands out in defence - especially full back areas. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Our midfield is poor, especially if we want to play any sort of possession game

The suggestion that Travis and Evans are poor on the ball is statistically incorrect when compared with the other teams in our division and the midfield duo's we've had at the club in recent CH seasons. 

Jason Lowe and Danny Guthrie are significantly worse than Lewis Travis and Bradley Johnson, yet had nearly 10% more possession in that 2016 side than our current side.

We average just 44% possession in 2020, yet four years ago, with the likes of Lowe in the side, we averaged 52%. I think that's very telling. Passive possession means nothing, in terms of attacking possession we are now in 2020 much superior. Key passes, positive "through" balls, forward dribbles and shots on target are all well up from 2016/17.

1244773976_RoversHistoricalChampionshipData(1).thumb.png.19b07e5bf78064eb6cb299e81f9b4681.png

You see it's not really about basic possession. If we wanted to have 51% possession we'd have to revert to playing around the back like we did with those crap players in the side. It's actually about "positive" possession (hard to describe). The data shows that our points, win% and goals scored are all significantly up, with much less possession of the ball, because we get the ball forward much faster now.

I don't believe when Mowbray talks about dominating the ball he really means let's get the possession metric up, I think he means being much more potent with the ball in the final third. Playing in and around their box, toying with other teams like your West Brom and Leeds United's of the world.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Maybe the CB’s already sorted Chaddy...

Maybe so. If Adarabioyo deal is sorted and maybe we have sign a foriegn free agent for the long term already or close to being done

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there? To be honest, id be pleasantly surprised if theyd even got the budget sorted yet. This idea that we are so active at the moment in the market is almost certaintly inaccurate.

I dont think theres a cat in hells chance of us spending a couple of million on Whiteman.

If we was to follow the scenario you think will happen and loaned in a kid in net whilst spending a couple of million I am sure I wouldnt be alone in being fuming.

Id be amazed if we spent 7 figures in this window without a big sale.

Sadly dont see that happening at all but again id be fuming that we didnt spend that money on a goalkeper.

It wouldnt take much for you to be fuming would it? 

A 22 year old isnt a kid is it?.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

A 22 year old isnt a kid is it?.

In net I think recent history should teach us that anyone Aged 24 and below isn't fully formed. We've had young keepers who've all been poor for us. Jake Kean, David Raya (it's a debate but the data is there), Christian Walton.

We really would just be better off with David Marshall. He's got at least two more seasons in him and Fisher gets a few more years to develop into the keeper he looks like he could be. But the key word is could.