BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Like thats not exactly what he wants to feed his ego ?

Ive got my fingers crossed for that 50m warchest.

They possibly should have spent that £50m war chest that summer. Although i don't think i would have given that manager and agents £50m either. I would have loved to have known what Sam would have done with £50m.

Instead they have ended up spunking £140m+ since relegation up the wall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The oracle speaks.

Made me chucke, that.

On a serious note though, whilst clearly the days of Nixon having the inside track on what goes on at Rovers are behind him, it's not like him to commit himself to anything which could make him look silly in the near future, much prefers to keep it vague or not answer questions when he really doesn't know. I suppose 'decent, but not mad' could mean anything, but at least it might rule out some of the doomsday scenarios that might've seemed possible towards the end of last season.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Made me chucke, that.

On a serious note though, whilst clearly the days of Nixon having the inside track on what goes on at Rovers are behind him, it's not like him to commit himself to anything which could make him look silly in the near future, much prefers to keep it vague or not answer questions when he really doesn't know. I suppose 'decent, but not mad' could mean anything, but at least it might rule out some of the doomsday scenarios that might've seemed possible towards the end of last season.

Up until we start making signings we don't really know.

He may have been told his budget is half of the funds he raises from player sales. As we already have a £10m offer on the table, he knows he has a £5m budget etc.  This scenario still matches with what everyone is saying. 

If we start signing players for cash before we sell anyone then it would indicate he has a budget.

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What is a selling club though? 

One that is at risk of losing its best players to clubs in higher divisions? Fine, I can accept that. That's life in the Championship. Nobody I've ever come across has any issue with us reluctantly allowing players to take a step up, getting the best deal possible and reinvesting the money to improve the club.

In that sense everyone at this level is a selling club.

Or is it existing purely to accommodate and try to polish up potential by giving players Championship minutes purely so they can be moved on again at a profit within a couple of seasons, to the first club that shows interest, even to sides around us in the table at a poor price, with the needs of the team, manager, fans or players an irrelevance just to help pay some bills with no reinvestment or improvement to be had and no other purpose to our existence?

Well that's not OK and not acceptable but unfortunately I think that is what we are. We shouldn't be.

Just can’t justify what you say, like another poster has said, TM has only sold one player for cash(Raya) and that was because of a few clangers and obviously thought he could get the foreigners in for G/K which didn’t come off, so we had to loan Walton, who isn’t much different to Raya, hopefully that position will be sorted in the next few weeks.

You would think Rovers fans knew the script in transfer windows by now, as TM has said every window, we have a pot but not massive, so we can’t just jump in and pay the first asking fee a club asks.

We have to bide our time and hope the price comes down, sometimes another club nip in and buys at whatever price, sometimes we have to go to plan B (cheaper).

To be honest I’m just grateful that Venkys keep throwing in 7/8 mil every season to keep us going.

Think we’ve all seen Blackpool: Bury ,Bolton and Wigan all go pear shaped, and touch wood I don’t want us to go the same way. 
We have made steady progress since promotion and will just have to be patient.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phili said:

Brentford have shown that it is not a foregone conclusion that we would be relegated to League 1. What will we be saying next year if Ainsworth gets Wycombe into the playoffs and Tony improves us to let's say 9th. Would we all be happy with that?

Bring in a new manager who can wheel, deal and motivate and we stand half a chance.

If we look at our history, no manager we have employed has ever needed 3 years and a slow build to get us no where. The last 2 season have been missed opportunities to get into the playoffs, with a slightly better manager we would have been in the playoffs both seasons.

If we look at all the issues following relegation that Bowyer had to deal with, it took him 1 season to create a promotion chasing squad with less funds than Tony has received. I just don't get this slow build mentality at all as it never works. Cardiff and Swansea were both below us at Christmas, how did they both finish in the playoffs this season?

No. The poster said he would take a 12 point deduction if it meant local owners. That would see us in league 1. Too many teams have struggled to get out of there. That's what I was responding to. 

36 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Well worth it. 

If Wimbledon can climb back up the leagues I'm sure we can.

They haven't climbed back up the leagues. 

Haven't been in the championship yet, let alone the premier League. 

It's pie in the sky dream team stuff to think we could go into admin, be deducted 12 , be relegated, lose our best players, get new local owners in and end up in a better position. Particularly at this time. Not saying I like that, but being realistic. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

Just now, phili said:

A 12 point deduction is still not a foregone conclusion of relegation, just increases the chances. We are always living with the fear of Venky's next relegation decision anyway.

It's just about staying up, at best. Plus the players would be like rats from a sinking ship. 

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Not gonna lie, I'd take a 12 point penalty and Rovers being bought by a local consortium right now. 

If that happened, the new owners would either have to cut costs by c.£17m p.a. or put c.£17m new money in each season for us to stand stock still. Add COVID income depletion into the mix and that £17m needs another £5m p.a. to make up for gate/hospitality revenue lost.
Should the12 point deduction result in relegation then the new owners would need to find another c.£5m to make up for lost TV money.
Also, unless & until FFP rules post-COVID are clarified, it’s unclear as to whether any additional investment to buy new players would be allowed.
All in all...I’m not sure how you would sell that prospect to a potential new owner.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They haven't climbed back up the leagues. 

Haven't been in the championship yet, let alone the premier League. 

It's pie in the sky dream team stuff to think we could go into admin, be deducted 12 , be relegated, lose our best players, get new local owners in and end up in a better position. Particularly at this time. Not saying I like that, but being realistic. 

Wimbledon have climbed from Combined Counties League to league 1 - that's 6 promotions.

I'd settle for that if Venky's left

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, phili said:

They possibly should have spent that £50m war chest that summer. Although i don't think i would have given that manager and agents £50m either. I would have loved to have known what Sam would have done with £50m.

Instead they have ended up spunking £140m+ since relegation up the wall.

Didn't the Rochina details show the agent fees were about 75% of the outlay? So signings up to 12.5m not really that big a deal in the prem. 

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

If that happened, the new owners would either have to cut costs by c.£17m p.a. or put c.£17m new money in each season for us to stand stock still. Add COVID income depletion into the mix and that £17m needs another £5m p.a. to make up for gate/hospitality revenue lost.
Should the12 point deduction result in relegation then the new owners would need to find another c.£5m to make up for lost TV money.
Also, unless & until FFP rules post-COVID are clarified, it’s unclear as to whether any additional investment to buy new players would be allowed.
All in all...I’m not sure how you would sell that prospect to a potential new owner.

Which raises the question of why there is no urgency to get promotion?

The only way for Venky's to cut costs and sell us is to get promotion and stay in the premier league for 2 to 3 years.

• Like 1

Just now, phili said:

Which raises the question of why there is no urgency to get promotion?

The only way for Venky's to cut costs and sell us is to get promotion and stay in the premier league for 2 to 3 years.

Absolutely...the mystery of their continuing to fund us with seemingly no real urgency perplexes me.

17 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I get where you are coming from but a couple of points.

Amidst a decade of neglect our commercial and corporate income has collapsed. I am certain that new owners would very quickly be able to achieve a significant increase in sponsorship, commercial and corporate income just by making an effort. This income would admittedly not come close to £15 million a year but would make a dent in it and grow if approached in a competent manner. It isnt right to suggest that our income cannot increase because 'we are where we are'. We haven't even got a commercial director such is the lack of interest and effort on that front.

Secondly you talk about Covid income depletion and yet I have already identified 3 clubs - Prem, Championship, League One - Everton, Luton and Peterborough- who have already matched or bettered last season's ticket sales despite Covid 19 uncertainty. As a result their incomes will be boosted yet here at Rovers we know better and don't sell anything then moan about diminishing income. Same applies to shirts and merchandise. Neglected.

I'm not saying it would be easy but significant strides could be made just through having some interest and being proactive.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Still no word on Downing signing a new deal? You would have thought that would be fairly straight forward?

Not straightforward if Mowbray doesn’t know his playing budget. We’re not gonna have long to get our sh*t together at this rate, are we.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

54 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Bang on 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just going back to your detailed analysis featuring graphs from yesterday, it all seems to be fairly worthless. It seems that it was all theorised on the assumption that we have had far less possession than we actually have.

Todays Lancashire Telegraph:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18628623.learn-rovers-plans-summer-transfers/

"The stats would back up Mowbray’s claim, the top four teams in the division all had the highest average possession. With 52.4 per cent, Rovers came in seventh, boosted by their post-lockdown approach, up from 50.5 per cent in 2018/19."

But our post lockdown results were shockingly bad despite the possession!  Surely a case for not adopting that approach.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Just going back to your detailed analysis featuring graphs from yesterday, it all seems to be fairly worthless. It seems that it was all theorised on the assumption that we have had far less possession than we actually have.

Todays Lancashire Telegraph:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18628623.learn-rovers-plans-summer-transfers/

"The stats would back up Mowbray’s claim, the top four teams in the division all had the highest average possession. With 52.4 per cent, Rovers came in seventh, boosted by their post-lockdown approach, up from 50.5 per cent in 2018/19."

So the post lockdown approach improved the possession stats but in turn blew our best chance in almost a decade of having a real go at the top 6.  

That just sums everything up in a nutshell really, absolutely blood boiling !

• Like 1