BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, alex l said:

For all the criticism of players being out of position, Guardiola has made it a huge part of his management. Lahm to cm, mascherano to CB, alaba CB, fernandino to cb. And these are players who were much more established in their 'natural' positions compared to Gallagher

They are all top drawer players though, Gallagher is limited as it is and we are hampering him further by playing him out of position. 

He also doesn't possess any of the attributes needed to play as a wide player. Doesn't have skill, pace, crossing capability or the ability to beat a defender.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alex l said:

For all the criticism of players being out of position, Guardiola has made it a huge part of his management. Lahm to cm, mascherano to CB, alaba CB, fernandino to cb. And these are players who were much more established in their 'natural' positions compared to Gallagher

Yeah but these are your Dolce and Gabana players, not Tesco basics. Top top players are top top players for a reason. They have the nouse and football brains to be able to take to new positions far easier than some of the plodders we have. 

Edited by JacknOry

14 minutes ago, alex l said:

Guardiola just copied Super Atko's reinvention when moving Lahm to CM.

Mowbray would have moved Super Atko to left midfield. 

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, alex l said:

The difference being, those players are/were some of the best on the planet, being managed by one of the best on the planet. 
Sam Gallagher is nowhere near that category.

Don’t get me wrong, if he had the attributes to play on the wing (good at crossing, quick), I could see the logic, but he doesn’t, so I can’t.

• Like 3

Rumours that Brentford will sign Ivan Toney if/when they sell Ollie Watkins for £20m+ (3 years after a £2m purchase from Exeter).

Ivan Toney has been hyped on here for probably 5 windows... to see him go to Brentford (and likely light it up) will send some people in this place into meltdown.

Least we have our budget though. 

• Like 1

I get the impression Gallagher's positioning on the wing is mainly for two reasons:

The engine and willingness to get back as well as forward. I don't think many question his endeavour. 

To be the full back in the air at the back stick, given most are shorter players. He doesn't do this, granted, and we don't have the quality wide delivery for him from the left. Years ago Roque was played wide right, I think against Evra, and it worked a treat hitting diagonals to him. 

34 minutes ago, alex l said:

They're also real footballers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Obviously you're not just going to be any Tom, Dick or Harry if you're trying to buy a football club.

Someone with a plan would be salivating at acquiring a club with the infrastructure Rovers have.

The apathy of the fan base and the incompetence at Ewood has resulted in millions of £ in lost revenue every season. 

There is huge potential with us. We have commercial opportunities we have never looked into, an academy and training facility that is one of the best in the country.

We would need to have some investment into Ewood, as that seems to have been neglected quite a bit in the past few seasons. Once we get into the Premiership, we can comfortably increase expenditure by £30-40m a season and be profitable to the tune of £5-10m a season, paying back who ever buys us within 3 seasons. 

It would all come down to whoever buys us putting in place the right manager and structure to run the club but once in place it is huge potential. Have a promotion push and we would probably add 5,000+ onto the gate and we would probably have a good 15,000 to 20,000 season ticket sales once we are back in the premiership with new owners.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Rumours that Brentford will sign Ivan Toney if/when they sell Ollie Watkins for £20m+ (3 years after a £2m purchase from Exeter).

Ivan Toney has been hyped on here for probably 5 windows... to see him go to Brentford (and likely light it up) will send some people in this place into meltdown.

I can’t imagine it would, tbh. His numbers aren’t all that good really. I’m sure Thomas Frank will improve him though, like he has with Ollie Watkins and others, for example.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He doesnt know anything chaddy. That translates as "I have seen online rumours that our budget is agreed, I will put a tweet stating as such whilst being as vague as is possible."

do you know anything? 

I speak to him, he knows things. He speaks to the club and other things.

what online rumours? you mean Nicko? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

do you know anything? 

I speak to him, he knows things. He speaks to the club and other things.

what online rumours? you mean Nicko? 

No, nor do I claim to. 

Obviously hes a young journalist trying his best but its quite clear from the tweet that he is none the wiser than any of us.

But I can try if you like?

"A budget has been agreed or is soon to be agreed. Mowbray plans to bring in between 2 and 8 players at some point during the window. Budget not colossal but not totally non existent. Plan is to field 11 players on the start of next season and 9 subs. Bit. In. Paper."

• Like 2

Just catching up.

Its incredible the sheer delight from some people that Raya didn’t get promoted to the PL presumably because that somehow “proves” Mowbray was right to sell him and buy Gallagher, while loaning an inferior keeper.

Rather than admit Mowbray was wrong and be disappointed that we didn’t get a cash windfall. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face!

Raya is a huge prospect and will eventually get to the top division. 24yo, huge amount of experience in a position whose peak age is around 30, and finished third in the Championship in the final game.

Lets hope any sell on isn’t time bound.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They're also real footballers.

When youve played at 3 professional clubs in the top 2 English leagues, and been paid tens of thousands per week to do it, then you can Gallagher isn't a real footballer. 

Another example of our wonderful fanbase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's work should be already done by our recruitment team. Unless Clubs increases the fee they want. 

Chaddy come on, we get this wrong every summer, and that's from the horse's mouth. Mowbray and/or the recruiting team don't have a clue what players are valued at. Blaming other clubs is daft, it's not about them raising prices on us, most of the time at least. It'll be poor estimates grounded in TM's outdated notions of player values.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can't imagine Big Chris on the wing, although I'm sure he would have made a better go of it than Gallagher 

mowbray to shearer "alan you`re not ready to play upfront,you need to learn the position,stick to the left wing until you prove to me that you can play through the middle!!"

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, alex l said:

When youve played at 3 professional clubs in the top 2 English leagues, and been paid tens of thousands per week to do it, then you can Gallagher isn't a real footballer. 

Another example of our wonderful fanbase. 

The guys you mentioned have hundreds of International caps between them. Gallagher is just a journeyman at best. It's a pointless comparison.

You could have said the same about Best, he'd played for several top clubs and he'd been paid probably more than Gallagher to do it. He was still garbage. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbray to shearer "alan you`re not ready to play upfront,you need to learn the position,stick to the left wing until you prove to me that you can play through the middle!!"

‘You need to learn the position from Steve Livingstone’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

On 02/08/2020 at 19:50, bluebruce said:

25 not 24, but yeh a good age for a goalie. Should easily have 10 years or more left in him, and likely get better over the next 5 or so.

From that video...not too many I'd put in the 'just wow' category, and I'd say most of them I'd expect Walton to have stopped too. But a few that I think you'd rarely or never see from Walton.

Looks a bit like he has a tendency to parry when he could catch, but that's a modern keeper's disease. A lot of these were pretty much straight at him, and I find saves like that to be overrated, but some he came out well for, some good intentional parries on them (as opposed to it being blasted right at him, which I find it bizarre when a keeper gets praise for) and looks good at stopping them with his feet, which I think is an underrated keeping skill. It bugs me when I see a keeper beaten because they tried to get down to something they could have stopped with their feet.

Only a highlights reel but overall I'm feeling fine about it if we get him at the right price. The real measure of a goalie is in their consistency though, and it's promising he got player of the season for Charlton, a team who I'm sure spent much of the season under the cosh. 65 goals conceded, only 2 more than us despite being 15 points lower.

I wonder what a likely fee would be. A few suitors, and Charlton clearly rate him, but they just got relegated, have financial issues, and Phillips has a year left on his deal with no intention to extend apparently. Plus the current financial climate. A million with a sell-on?

It also occurs to me that TM said his preference is for an experienced, older stopper, and a younger one to learn from them. I doubt Phillips wants to be the understudy.

And just read this: Only Millwall's Bartosz Bialkowski recorded a higher save percentage than the Addicks 'keeper

That sounds good to me! Sign him up.

Looks good, seems to be able to spring from a stand still not like Waltont who always seems to need a step or two before diving.  This has made him late to several goals he should have stopped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Watkins has a 16million pound release clause that Villa have triggered 

• Like 1