BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

11 hours ago, 47er said:

He didn't exactly build the team around him did he or give him any reason to stay? He wasn't always picked and he was told to play more  like Corry Evans FFS

No he didn't and neither did I claim it either. Reed was our best midfielder and I couldn't either understand the reason for not being played more. 

• Like 3

Just the way he operates, everybody starts as back up to those already here and his favs. Doesn't matter how good you might be in your position you'll get on where you are asked.

It's just assuming that a good player can slot in anywhere and the pecking order rules over ability, flawed logic.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CD_93 said:

Shouldn’t even be considered. 

Next summer will be a massacre if we aren’t where we want to be. But this summer the talent we actually have has to stay put.

Definitely agreed; the future is now!

Add a quality gk, LB & CB to this squad, lose nobody, and this is our playoff push season. If we do not make it, fire sale & I would expect owners should Fire Tony. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

He would be bonkers not to, his stock is on the rise, he is young and would likely have aspirations of the PL. Football careers are short, what 15 years on average? And we expect AA to sign for close to half of what he has left in the game without anyway out if a top club comes calling?

Preaching to the converted ? I suppose that’s 2 of us that don’t play football manager ??

47 minutes ago, AJW said:

Preaching to the converted ? I suppose that’s 2 of us that don’t play football manager ??

Exactly; if it was you or I, or any of us, we would jump on the opportunity. Rhodes, Cairney, Dann, Hanley, Gestede, Duffy, et al, I didn’t begrudge any of those guys for making the most of their chance. 

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

Exactly; if it was you or I, or any of us, we would jump on the opportunity. Rhodes, Cairney, Dann, Hanley, Gestede, Duffy, et al, I didn’t begrudge any of those guys for making the most of their chance. 

You don't begrudge Duffy after the way he conducted himself?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

In an ideal world I’d sell Armstrong and make the team better with the funds . As that would never happen it’s a no brainer not to sell him. However I think 10 million is a very generous offer if it is him. 

£10-15m for AA is a very fair offer. Also hugely fair on the player to let him go. Opportunity of a lifetime for these guys.

• Like 2

I'll stick up for Chaddy a bit here.

Ollie Watkins joined Brentford in 2017 on a 4 year deal with the option of a further year.

After a phenomenal couple of seasons he signed a new and improved deal in 2019 taking him through to 2023.

That new deal presumably increased his wage significantly and secured Brentford's investment. They are now in a position where he has 3 years still to run, is highly sought after and they are looking at the neck end of £20 million for him off an initial outlay of less than £2 million.

He is rumoured to have a release clause of £18 million. 

In this case Brentford have once again done a good job. 

Now in similar circumstances we would be soon offering Armstrong a wage rise and another couple of years on his deal. We might have to put a release clause in there to persuade him to sign it but to do that we would put the clause up at £18 million knowing that if someone paid that it would be great money for Rovers.

No doubt there will be the old 'we can't go around offering wage rises at a time like this' line. Fine, watch your prized assets run their contracts down and leave for a relative pittance (again).

We should also be doing the same for Dack and Travis before the end of the year. In some ways these deals are more important to conclude than any incoming transfers, if nothing else to protect the club's investments and avoid another Marshall, Duffy, King scenario unfolding. The same will probably happen with Nyambe in the coming months and then the club will actively try to sell him for a low fee just to get some cash in.

Now Brentford have shown that making the right offer to a player progressing well can result in that player committing his long term future to a Championship club. But it requires ambition and proper planning from the club, and more importantly for that player to feel the club is going somewhere and will challenge for promotion in the meantime. Might be a hard sell with our dubious business.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

But that isn’t what Chaddy was suggesting, your example shows a bit of compromise between both parties. Chaddy wants our negotiation tactic to simply be... ‘sign that, 4 years, no release clause’

Knowing that he is now on the radar of PL clubs, AA holds all the cards, so why would AA and his agent be willing to do that?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

But that isn’t what Chaddy was suggesting, your example shows a bit of compromise between both parties. Chaddy wants our negotiation tactic to be... ‘sign that, 4 years, no release clause’

Knowing that he is now becoming on the radar of PL clubs, why would AA and his agent be willing to do that?

Absolutely, he won't tie himself into something he can't get out of.

But at the same time if he's happy here, is confident that we are going in the right direction and we make a suitable offer it could be done, with a massive release clause like Watkins has which effectively means that only Premier League clubs can get him.

Sadly for us to do similar we would have to be proactive, pay the required salaries and show some ambition.

There's no indication that any contract extensions have been discussed in months.

Could the club be set to flush millions down the drain again by allowing assets to reach the last year of their deals without getting them tied down? Then it will be poor old Rovers time again.

Exactly, so a release clause is a no brainer for both sides. 

I could certainly see him signing a new deal, the club has generally been better at this in recent years - though Nyambe is a worry, but expecting one to be signed without a clause? No chance for a player on a quick upward trajectory like AA.

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But that isn’t what Chaddy was suggesting, your example shows a bit of compromise between both parties. Chaddy wants our negotiation tactic to simply be... ‘sign that, 4 years, no release clause’

Knowing that he is now on the radar of PL clubs, AA holds all the cards, so why would AA and his agent be willing to do that?

For a couple of hundred grand the agent would jump at it without thinking about the player,Its a business and you need a good businessman to get it done do we have that ? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Morgan Fox has joined Stoke on a free transfer. Another left back we were linked with.

Wonder if Mowbray is back from his holiday yet?

What the hell he need a holiday for they just had a couple of months off.  Stay at work and sign us a side we can be proud of.  Then think about a holiday.

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The point is more that we are always playing catch up and giving everyone else a head start.

I know we seem to be completely incompetent when it comes to doing transfer stuff.  Late, missing targets, nit actually having any targets, I think just about every window has had a meh feel to it.  Dack being the one standout.

The release clause is probably the be all and end all in some of these types of situations.

Ludicrous to expect a player to sign without insuring himself against his present club holding him hostage asking unreasonable money. 

Just like saying give a manager a 10 year contract after promotion from lge 1 with a Championship budget but that's the world we live in.

2 hours ago, USABlue said:

What the hell he need a holiday for they just had a couple of months off.  Stay at work and sign us a side we can be proud of.  Then think about a holiday.

So you want him to sign some players then go on holiday while he should be taking pre season training?