BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Well it's gone over my head!

Very simple. You can bring in a Henderson every year (we won’t, by the way, just more Waltons), it won’t get us in the top 6 with our managers approach to the defence and the constant changing personnel (and Bennett).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

It seems the TM way is to make early enquries to decent players but just half hearted ones. Then sit back and see if that player doesn't get any better offers and we are able we'll jump in late on and do something.  9 times out of ten they do or we just outright can't afford it anyway so that leaves us scrabbling around from list c or d.

The same kind of non urgent laid back plodding approach we see and hear week in week out. If we can do it we'll do it, if we can't then fine no big deal.

This might be way off the mark but i think we've been through enough windows now to gauge how they work. Horses for courses first and foremost is definitely not in the script.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Very simple. You can bring in a Henderson every year (we won’t, by the way, just more Waltons), it won’t get us in the top 6 with our managers approach to the defence and the constant changing personnel (and Bennett).

Still not sure what that has to do with you saying SUFC play with a back 4. I don't think it really matters but I was just curious. 

Still not sure what that has to do with you saying SUFC play with a back 4. I don't think it really matters but I was just curious. 

Oh sorry I get you, it’s early. 

Well maybe three centre halves is the panacea, we know TM has been dying to try it since the day he arrived...

Not played a game for Leicester and has been loaned to Rotherham and Oldham but yeah an “expensive loan” to Rovers.

Another novice with potential to cut his teeth at Rovers while learning his trade from a laptop.

If we aren’t going to get an experienced first choice keeper the we may as well give Fisher and Hilton the job of one and two, and promote Eastham to U23 keeper.

This Summer is the opportunity for an overhaul. That has to start with the gk coach and bringing in a seasoned stopper. I’d sooner give the loan fee money to Joe Hart for a season than on a 23yo - at least he will be able to share his experience with the youngsters. Instead Mowbray will prefer a novice. Unless you get extremely lucky (I.e. promotion) loaning someone else’s 23yo keeper is absolutely no use at all. If he’s good he goes back and we start again. If he’s bad then we suffer, not his parent club.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Not played a game for Leicester and has been loaned to Rotherham and Oldham but yeah an “expensive loan” to Rovers.

Another novice with potential to cut his teeth at Rovers while learning his trade from a laptop.

If we aren’t going to get an experienced first choice keeper the we may as well give Fisher and Hilton the job of one and two, and promote Eastham to U23 keeper.

This Summer is the opportunity for an overhaul. That has to start with the gk coach and bringing in a seasoned stopper. I’d sooner give the loan fee money to Joe Hart for a season than on a 23yo - at least he will be able to share his experience with the youngsters. Instead Mowbray will prefer a novice. Unless you get extremely lucky (I.e. promotion) loaning someone else’s 23yo keeper is absolutely no use at all. If he’s good he goes back and we start again. If he’s bad then we suffer, not his parent club.

I'm with ya, we do need our own keeper and preferably someone with experience. Joe Hart seems a bit past it though. 

Jonathan Wilson, one of the more perceptive football journalists,  has an interesting article in todays " Sunday Observer ". He's referring to some comments Guardiola has made about City. It has a bearing on our manager's recent love affair with possession of the ball. Apparently Guardiola has blamed failures in both boxes for some previous poor results.

Wilson comments - " Perhaps this a necessary failing when your dream is essentially a team of midfielders. If you value players for their passing, movement and tactical intelligence, necessarily you don't value the more defensive and attacking arts - tackling, heading, marking, shooting, finishing quite as highly."

Sounds very much like what is happening at Ewood Park also.

• Like 3

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We surely need to be buying/signing a permanent keeper? Another Walton is not what we need - so short sighted.

We have looked at Philips and Spoken to Charlton about him. Asking price more than Million pounds at the minute. Philips has only 12 months left on his deal and with Charlton ownership and financial problems probably going to worse if they dont pass the EFL ownership test.

I would guess Rovers have spoken to a number of clubs about their keeper finding out prices and their agents for wages demands. 

Nothing wrong with looking loan options for keeper slot. Work for Sheffield United and Wilder with Dean Henderson or Rotherham with Rodak and Iversen. 

• Like 1