BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

Pompey's owner, Michael Eisner is a billionaire.

Yes, the mantra of being fan/local owned after their troubles quickly disappeared when they realised that they needed a lot more money to climb back up the divisions so quickly sold out to a 70 odd year old American billionaire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

To paraphrase Roy Keane:
"Good shot-stopper? Isn't that what they're supposed to do?"

It's a dumb thing to say though. Of course it's what they're supposed to do. And some of them are good at it, some aren't really. In a relative sense. In a literal sense (ie compared to you or I) they're all good at it.

Also, don't quote Keane. It will soil your soul ;)

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's a dumb thing to say though. Of course it's what they're supposed to do. And some of them are good at it, some aren't really. In a relative sense. In a literal sense (ie compared to you or I) they're all good at it.

Also, don't quote Keane. It will soil your soul ;)

There's one from Shearer that irritates me:

'Not just a great goalscorer, but a scorer of great goals'.

...and? Some of the dreariest, off-the-keeper's-backside goals have given me as much joy as a Tugay special.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mike E said:

...and? Some of the dreariest, off-the-keeper's-backside goals have given me as much joy as a Tugay special.

Probably worth it's own thread, this. Horrible goals that were wildly celebrated. 

Di Santo an early front-runner.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike E said:

So you didn't find it more exciting when Arma smashed that 40 yarder than if he had just accidentally scored at the same time off the back of his head from a couple of yards? 

What Shearer said there is fair enough. Great goals are a bit more exciting and require more ability. He isnt saying they matter more though, just observing that certain players have a penchant for the spectacular. It's only if you say great goals actually count more that you're being an idiot.

Context of a goal will always matter more than the style of it of course, but classy goals add a little extra oomph to the excitement (in the same context). They do for me anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

WBA interested in Marshall I've read. Not over keen signing him due to age. Ideally want a keeper for a few seasons. 

Iversen is very highly rated. Signed that bumper deal whilst on loan at Rotherham 

But if Marshall is offered much better wages by PL wouldn't he take it? Last pay day. 

So much inconsistency here by the way.

You dont want Marshall because of his age and thus lack of longevity yet are bigging up signing a kid on loan for a season?

You also are regularly insistent on players being desperate to play yet have a presumption that Marshall is after the money.

Also, I would welcome Marshall because he would provide experience and has shown his quality at this level already. Surely that goes against your theory (like with Dillon Phillips) that I am just moaning at anyone we are linked with?

• Like 2

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So you didn't find it more exciting when Arma smashed that 40 yarder than if he had just accidentally scored at the same time off the back of his head from a couple of yards? 

What Shearer said there is fair enough. Great goals are a bit more exciting and require more ability. He isnt saying they matter more though, just observing that certain players have a penchant for the spectacular. It's only if you say great goals actually count more that you're being an idiot.

Context of a goal will always matter more than the style of it of course, but classy goals add a little extra oomph to the excitement (in the same context). They do for me anyway.

True enough tbf. It's just when he says it on MOTD about 'insert striker here'. Heard him say it about several one-season wonders including Michu and Benjani.

If you're talking Henry, Cantona, or Shearer himself then I completely agree with you.

I probably made my point very badly again ?

I just hope the team are exploring the lower leagues, This salary cap will cause chaos, The way its set up you can climb the ladder but really difficult to drop down, Top players will push for moves and hopefully lower asking prices, If we were to bag some gems for potential future resales tbe best time is now

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

True enough tbf. It's just when he says it on MOTD about 'insert striker here'. Heard him say it about several one-season wonders including Michu and Benjani.

If you're talking Henry, Cantona, or Shearer himself then I completely agree with you.

I probably made my point very badly again ?

Lol maybe you misquoted him and he said 'not a great goalscorer but a scorer of great goals'? In which case I'd take your point, though it's still a fair observation on what the player is like, as long as he isn't saying that makes up for it. Not much use scoring great goals if you hardly ever notch (as a striker). I don't remember Michu and Benjani scoring lots, they were a bit shit (maybe Benjani had like one season where he scored quite a few I think? At Pompey?).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So much inconsistency here by the way.

You dont want Marshall because of his age and thus lack of longevity yet are bigging up signing a kid on loan for a season?

You also are regularly insistent on players being desperate to play yet have a presumption that Marshall is after the money.

Also, I would welcome Marshall because he would provide experience and has shown his quality at this level already. Surely that goes against your theory (like with Dillon Phillips) that I am just moaning at anyone we are linked with?

no inconsistency at all Roversfan99

You complained and moaned about a loan keeper would be short term whilst signing Marshall who is 35 years old would also be a short term measure so its yourself who is being inconsistence. 

I haven't big up anyone just simply discuss the players, their player record and what we have seen of the player. Something you struggle to differentiate between. 

at 35 years old He might well pick being at PL as number 2 for a season or 2 picking bigger wages than he would have most Championship clubs. It was a question I asked so no presumption. Maybe read what was written instead of reading what you want to read. 

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lets be realistic fellow fans,we are shopping in b&m bargains this season,not necessarily a bad thing imo,give tony some money and the results are a bit on the disastrous side,more concerning to me is the fact everyone in the club appears to be on holiday and no one is actively on the lookout for new players,they`ve just had 3 months off,we should be scouring the free transfer and any offers considered market

This is true, but it seems to me Mowbray should know this is a critical season, he needs to put up & shut up, or he will be canned. He cannot afford to take any more players on potential. He needs to hit a couple of home runs this time. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You complained and moaned about a loan keeper would be short term whilst signing Marshall who is 35 years old would also be a short term measure so its yourself who is being inconsistence. 

No reason why Marshall wouldn't have at least another 3 years in him. Even if he only had 2 years in him that would be double the amount of time we would have a loan player for

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

No reason why Marshall wouldn't have at least another 3 years in him. Even if he only had 2 years in him that would be double the amount of time we would have a loan player for

who knows? 

no guarantees he would last 3 years or even 2 years Ewood. We simply wouldn't know. 

And why would Rovers offer him anymore than 1 year contract

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't big up anyone just simply discuss the players, their player record and what we have seen of the player. Something you struggle to differentiate between. 

at 35 years old He might well pick being at PL as number 2 for a season or 2 picking bigger wages than he would have most Championship clubs. It was a question I asked so no presumption. Maybe read what was written instead of reading what you want to read. 

No, my point was not necessarily about the duration of the players deal, although youd probably sign Marshall for 2 or 3 years rather than one. It was and always has been that I am against the idea of loaning a kid in net, when he is most likely to make mistakes that will be on our watch rather than for his parent club.

I also feel that this approach is made 10x worse because we had a talented keeper of a similar age to Walton and Iversen and older than Muric and we sold him for cheap, wasted the money and now instead of developing our own young, talented and raw goalkeeper, we are developing worse keepers for other teams for a year. If you have a young keeper who by the fact he is young will make more mistakes, you want it to be your own at least.

Marshall at least would be a steady hand, the opposite of thesr error prone rookies, and one who has already shown that he is capable at this level. A critical part of a better defensive unit than ours.

Compared to this, Muric has made barely any senior experiences and a team who finished above us last year dropped him after 4 games, upgraded and sent him back. How could you possibly get excited about someone like that, regardless of a penalty save he once made when he conceded 5.

You have suggested them both (Iversen and Muric) numerous times this week, defended them and the prospect of signing them, of course on the back of hearing the rumour that we wanted them, have externally requested and posted stats for them etc.

Time to move on from Downing (unless of course he has already signed but it hasn't been announced) it's been nearly three weeks since it was announced he had been offered terms, if he hasn't signed by now then his heart obviously isn't in it. Let's not allow him to take the piss with his contract offer like we did with Rodwell last summer.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

This thread was showing "hot" when I switched on to read whilst I was having my tea.

Turns out it wasn't even lukewarm... ☹

Making your tea wrong if it's lukewarm ;)

• Like 6

Just now, roversfan99 said:

No, my point was not necessarily about the duration of the players deal, although youd probably sign Marshall for 2 or 3 years rather than one. It was and always has been that I am against the idea of loaning a kid in net, when he is most likely to make mistakes that will be on our watch rather than for his parent club.

Marshall at least would be a steady hand, the opposite of these error prone rookies, and one who has already shown that he is capable at this level. A critical part of a better defensive unit than ours.

Compared to this, Muric has made barely any senior experiences and a team who finished above us last year dropped him after 4 games, upgraded and sent him back. How could you possibly get excited about someone like that, regardless of a penalty save he once made when he conceded 5.

You have suggested them both (Iversen and Muric) numerous times this week, defended them and the prospect of signing them, of course on the back of hearing the rumour that we wanted them, have externally requested and posted stats for them etc.

why would Rovers offer 35 years old anymore than one year deal? 

Marshall would be nothing short of 1 year possible 2 years stop gap. So basically the same as a loan in reality. 

Muric might have grow into the team and got better with times. Who knows. 

Yet again who got excited about him? no one. read what people posted instead of what you want to say or read. All people did was discuss the player and the prospect of signing him. No one got excited over him. 

Yes I suggested a few names including a keeper from Man Utd and Brighton if I remember correctly when a poster suggested we could be loaning a young Premier League keeper. crime of the century there. Yes I discussed the prospect of signing them both like I do with every link. Yes I said don't judge players of other clubs fans comments like you did last summer when Downing and Adarabioyo signed. complaining about both signings! 

Yes Rovers Chat did a YouTube video on possible keepers and I asked Andy Watson from the show did he have the stats for Muric and Iversen. I also asked for O'Hara stats. is that wrong thing to asked him to do?  He and the other person in that show discuss a number of keeper options. I quite like the look of Muller stats from Bundesliga 2 but without seeing him in a live game I couldn't give a proper opinion on him 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would Rovers offer 35 years old anymore than one year deal? 

Marshall would be nothing short of 1 year possible 2 years stop gap. So basically the same as a loan in reality. 

Muric might have grow into the team and got better with times. Who knows. 

Yet again who got excited about him? no one. read what people posted instead of what you want to say or read. All people did was discuss the player and the prospect of signing him. No one got excited over him. 

Yes I suggested a few names including a keeper from Man Utd and Brighton if I remember correctly when a poster suggested we could be loaning a young Premier League keeper. crime of the century there. Yes I discussed the prospect of signing them both like I do with every link. Yes I said don't judge players of other clubs fans comments like you did last summer when Downing and Adarabioyo signed. complaining about both signings! 

Yes Rovers Chat did a YouTube video on possible keepers and I asked Andy Watson from the show did he have the stats for Muric and Iversen. I also asked for O'Hara stats. is that wrong thing to asked him to do?  He and the other person in that show discuss a number of keeper options. I quite like the look of Muller stats from Bundesliga 2 but without seeing him in a live game I couldn't give a proper opinion on him 

Even assuming that Marshall joined on a one year deal, which I dont think would be the case. We will assume as such for comparitive sakes.

Both are stop gaps. One is an experienced goalkeeper, of proven quality, part of a better defence than ours last season and not error prone.

One is a total rookie, very young, very little senior experience bar one bad experience.

Even if Muric did grow, it wouldnt be to our benefit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

if we want Charlton Keeper Philips then I would be on the phone speaking to Dave Jones who appears to be new guy in charge of transfers at Charlton. Above Steve Gallen(DoF) and Bowyer(manager).

Now there’s a laugh he was also in charge at Bury with Dale and the same solicitor and a few other of the same faces. Trying to kill another proud club off 

• Like 2