BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Huddersfield have no keepers. Rotherham have no 1st choice keeper. 

One CB? Lenihan, Williams and Wharton. Plus Carter and Maglorie who have 1st team league games under their belt. 

I’ve just had a nightmare that they were our defensive options for the first game! ? 

only Lenihan there who Is championship quality. I believe this is our biggest summer for years. If we get it wrong we may get it badly wrong! We need a solid spine, rarely comes cheap!

We cannot afford to play a full season with another sub standard goalkeeper! 

Edited by Hi Mack
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Seems premature to be saying this before we’ve even signed a single player though. 

Isn't that the very point he's making though?

Some Clubs have made additions, some haven't ,but it's irrelevant the level of business other clubs may or may not have done. We only need to worry about ourselves. We have glaring gaps in the starting eleven and to be fair, other than very tenuous speculation, there's no evidence of anything imminent happening in the form of serious interest or concrete offers going in etc.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fisher ain't good enough. Hilton needs a full season as 1st choice at league 2. Eastham can be number 3 for the coming season. 

If we don't think Philips is worth more than a million why pay more. If we only have x amount of money to spend why overpay for a player which could affect going for the centre back or left back we want. 

You really don't rate Fisher/Hilton/Eastham then if you think none are good enough to be a number two?

As regards Phillips we must rate him to a certain degree or we wouldn't be in for him in the first place. If he's the man we really want I'd say pay the asking price, if we think there's someone better available, walk away.

If push came to shove I'd rather pay decent money for a reliable keeper and get a LB in on loan and rely on Wharton/Carter/Magloire than spend money at LB and CB but only get another loanee keeper in.

• Like 1

A solid base is imperative, which means one experienced, good defender to go with Lehinen (I can never remember how to spell his name), a proper left back and a goalkeeper who is not some agency temp that is covering someone on maternity leave so to speak. It is not looking quite so secure right now, as we have no decent left back, no tough, commanding centre back and no goalkeeper with more than a couple of first team appearances for any first team.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think you can only judge that strategy a success if said loan players secure you promotion. Otherwise you're just chucking money away year after year and are never any better off on the pitch, having to start again from scratch every 12 months.

If you're only going tio limp in mid table you're better off owning your players then you can benefit from an increase in value of some of them.

He wasn’t planning on “limping” around mid table though Rev. He stated clearly that he wanted to get into the play offs and loaning Tosin and Cunningham was the best way to get those players in as it meant we could afford them.

The notion that you would buy sub standard players just so you know they’re your own is nonsensical.

The ideal here is that you buy a Benrahma, mbeumo or Watkins every year for peanuts and sell high but that is the million dollar answer to football recruitment. It’s the exception rather than the rule.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He wasn’t planning on “limping” around mid table though Rev. He stated clearly that he wanted to get into the play offs and loaning Tosin and Cunningham was the best way to get those players in as it meant we could afford them.

I’d rather spend my £2-3m on players we’re going to own (seemingly as we seem set to do more of this season) than waste money on players who never bring any value to the clubs assets list, and don’t get us promoted. 

Kasey Palmer
Greg Cunningham
Christian Walton
Tosin Adarabioyo
Harrison Reed

I’d estimate over £4m has been spent on those guys, and now, in August 2020, what do we have to show for it? A minus figure in the books.

Whilst I don’t necessarily trust the club to spend £4m well, it would be nicer to have some permanent players to show for such a large sum, rather than another mid table finish having spent high figures on PL youngsters.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

The notion that you would buy sub standard players just so you know they’re your own is nonsensical

That’s not the notion being put forward. The notion is that you buy cheaper players that you can own. Cheaper doesn’t always mean worse, Stewart Downing brought 6x, maybe 7x more to Blackburn Rovers football club than Christian Walton did in 2019/20 and was free of charge.

If the pattern of recent windows follow then on September 12th we will kick off with essentially the same players with a cheap addition or two. We will struggle for a few games and as we get towards the end of the window the panic sets in and if we make any signings they are ad hoc and making up the numbers. I get frustrated by this approach particularly when Mowbray, by his own admission likes to integrate players slowly or build up their fitness.

If he knows his budget and there are targets go and get them and have them ready to hit the ground running.

• Like 1

Everyone knows you can't get a Dack at £750,000 every window. But everyone knows you could have nearly 20 Bradley Dack's for Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher. And that is the crap bit.

51 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I’d rather spend my £2-3m on players we’re going to own (seemingly as we seem set to do more of this season) than waste money on players who never bring any value to the clubs assets list, and don’t get us promoted. 

Kasey Palmer
Greg Cunningham
Christian Walton
Tosin Adarabioyo
Harrison Reed

I’d estimate over £4m has been spent on those guys, and now, in August 2020, what do we have to show for it? A minus figure in the books.

Whilst I don’t necessarily trust the club to spend £4m well, it would be nicer to have some permanent players to show for such a large sum, rather than another mid table finish having spent high figures on PL youngsters.

Sheffield United seemed to be ok with loaning a goalkeeper..

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Sheffield United seemed to be ok with loaning a goalkeeper..

And I'm not saying you *can't* loan players, I'm saying it clearly hasn't worked for us, two years running, so why not just invest in our own players?

9 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Forest with the bigger budget than us? Come on lad, even if we got to the playoffs and ended up going up we’d of embarrassed ourselves in Prem. nowhere near good enough to be going up yet. 2 or 3 seasons yet atleast before we’ll even be challenging.

Look at Leeds and Sheff U how long did it take them to get out of league 1? Sunderland are struggling now as it is!! 

Wake up ?

This is beyond naïve.

By the time that comes, our better players (Travis, Armstrong, Dack etc) will all be long gone and we'll be starting another "slow build".

• Like 5

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And the only way they will get it is by playing Championship games. 

Not if they aren't good enough or ready for it. Then you start sacrificing results for the sake of individual progress and development. Heard that before?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

If the pattern of recent windows follow then on September 12th we will kick off with essentially the same players with a cheap addition or two. We will struggle for a few games and as we get towards the end of the window the panic sets in and if we make any signings they are ad hoc and making up the numbers. I get frustrated by this approach particularly when Mowbray, by his own admission likes to integrate players slowly or build up their fitness.

If he knows his budget and there are targets go and get them and have them ready to hit the ground running.

The sad thing is. When has Mowbray ever had a player integrated into a team come the start of a season? 

Never is the answer.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

The sad thing is. When has Mowbray ever had a player integrated into a team come the start of a season? 

Never is the answer.

Downing?

It's a fair point though, but the fact we generally sign late doesn't help.

I just have a niggling fear/feeling that this window could run away from us altogether if we don't get on top of things soon. 

46 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And I'm not saying you *can't* loan players, I'm saying it clearly hasn't worked for us, two years running, so why not just invest in our own players?

When you say it hasn’t worked for us, you mean we haven’t been promoted, for a club like us we have to have a balance of buying and loaning.

Think with Cunningham and Tosin they were two excellent loans, shame the lad from Cardiff got a serious injury.

Hardly any signings so far in the championship, think all the signings  will be late on, just wish folk can have a bit of patience. We’ve seen it many times with name’s thrown in, then someone else is signed who’s not been mentioned.

Personally think we’ve made steady progress in the last 3 years and if we can improve this season it will do for me.

Going to be a very challenging season for every club due to the current climate, with no income coming in, and hopefully get back to normality soon as.

Looking at Venkys figures and they like other firms been hit hard. The share price in 12 months has gone from a high of 1942 inr to a low in April of  580 inr, but has come back to 1052 inr last week, so let’s hope they have a few quid in their back pockets for us.

• Like 3

Just now, unsall said:

When you say it hasn’t worked for us, you mean we haven’t been promoted, for a club like us we have to have a balance of buying and loaning.

Think with Cunningham and Tosin they were two excellent loans, shame the lad from Cardiff got a serious injury.

Hardly any signings so far in the championship, think all the signings  will be late on, just wish folk can have a bit of patience. We’ve seen it many times with name’s thrown in, then someone else is signed who’s not been mentioned.

Personally think we’ve made steady progress in the last 3 years and if we can improve this season it will do for me.

Going to be a very challenging season for every club due to the current climate, with no income coming in, and hopefully get back to normality soon as.

Looking at Venkys figures and they like other firms been hit hard. The share price in 12 months has gone from a high of 1942 inr to a low in April of  580 inr, but has come back to 1052 inr last week, so let’s hope they have a few quid in their back pockets for us.

Greg Cunningham played 10 games for us and clearly has long term injury problems, so let's not pretend he was an excellent signing because we'll never truly know what he could or couldn't have done for us. 

Tosin was a great addition, I won't deny that. Walton was a poor addition, mistakes, no better than Raya and not even our player.

And yes, it hasn't worked for us. We could've not spend £4m on loan players over the last two seasons and still be exactly where we are now... in the Championship. Finishing 11th vs 17th doesn't give you anything. We don't get a load more money, a special prize or anything.

7th or 20th you play Championship football the following season.