BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

41 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

He scored, 11 goals, I'm told, for us under Coyle, playing centrally. Before your time.

To be fair, we do indeed have 2 goalscorers and none of them are called Sam Gallagher. Bradley Dack and Adam Armstrong are those 2 players.

Gallagher is often reminisced about with fondness over a 1 goal every 4 games season which is well out in front as the peak of his career thus far. Whilst not awful, it doesnt warrant the term "goalscorer." 

Hopefully Armstrong and Dack can strike up a partnership central as well as we can hope, and Gallagher (and Brereton) can post respectable figures as very much competition/back-up for those 2, rather than being shunted out wide at times as you touched upon.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes ,there are pros and cons. Saying we shouldn't use it is stupid. Every team that gets promoted has at least 1 stand out loan player. 

Fine, if you think that my position on the matter is dumb, criticise away, but don't call the discussion itself stupid, it's very dismissive in my opinion..

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The only thing I didnt agree with in what you put is if you say you may aswell avoid loans if you are going to finish mid table

If we're going to finish 7th to 20th, then yes, we should avoid loans in my opinion. But I can see the other side of it.

Unless we're bringing in loan players that are genuinely giving us a massive % chance of getting promoted, or for lower side a big % chance of staying up, I'd avoid.

Tosin, Walton and Cunningham was never going to be a promotion loan trio with the squad we have, and with some of the names being banded around now, we'd struggle to manage a loan trio for those positions that's even as good as they were.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We, essentially, loaned Cunningham, Walton and Tosin to finish a comfortable midtable last year. That's an expensive, short term option that doesn't really benefit the club.

Bang on.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Still legitimately have no idea why anyone listens to Nixon or even hangs on his every word. The guy is clueless and well out of the loop when it comes to Rovers nowadays and has been for a while in all honesty!

No! You mean he is NOT the BOSS of GOSS??????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://sport-90.de/hamburger-sv-und-blackburn-rovers-an-philipp-hofmann-dran

Unsure how reputable this is, it needs translating too but a link to Hofmann.

https://www.mylondon.news/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-boss-what-went-wrong-13219230

Also a bit on why things didnt go right at Brentford, including that he wasnt physically in good shape.

Would be a weird one, maybe agent talk. Last season he scored quite a few goals, before then, not so many, he is a target man so not really fitting in with Mowbrays supposed "vision" and he would cost a decent fee. Would also potentially mean Armstrong out wide, unless he is going.

Or a return to a real 4-4-2 with Armstong running off the big lad.

45 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If we're going to finish 7th to 20th, then yes, we should avoid loans in my opinion. But I can see the other side of it.

Unless we're bringing in loan players that are genuinely giving us a massive % chance of getting promoted, or for lower side a big % chance of staying up, I'd avoid.

Tosin, Walton and Cunningham was never going to be a promotion loan trio with the squad we have, and with some of the names being banded around now, we'd struggle to manage a loan trio for those positions that's even as good as they were.

I agree in hindsight but obviously the aim for every team is not specifically to finish 7th-20th. The aim was play offs for us. Therefore the logic to Adarabioyo and Cunningham was the correct one. 

I would say that the problems were primarily loaning a young goalkeeper which is always a huge risk. He turned out to be crap and we had no alternative to stick with him due to the position, and with no potential long term benefits.

They were also trying to fix all 3 positions with loans within the same area of the pitch. That was compounded with us actually having money, spending it elsewhere having sacrificed the keeper to do so, and missing out on Bauer.

I would be happy to get 1 or 2 loans this season IF they are better than the other players in that position that we could attract and afford. The thing is, I would not want a loaned young goalkeeper, or ideally a CB to be honest. 

5 hours ago, rigger said:

But with Mowbray will they?

Probably not because they'll be stuck behind another new raft of loan players in the pecking order!

I remember Madame saying soon after taking over the Club that they couldn't understand why players were owned rather than leased or loaned and we're seeing that increasingly here now.

I think Joe H is absolutely spot on regarding the question of loans. Years ago they were used relatively sparingly, not to form the core of your business. You just need one or two to put the icing on the cake, but only after  you've completed your permanent business and ideally the loanees should be absolutely stellar players way above the level of the rest of the side and beyond what you could afford on a permanent basis. The perfect example of this at Rovers was the sensational signings of Archibald and Ardilles on loan which would be roughly equivalent of bringing in Aguero and David Silve now, so obviously that sort of thing is a different matter entirely.

The likes of Tosin and Cunningham were decent maybe even very good players but not that sensational that they completely transformed our fortunes as witnessed by our defensive record and another extremely disappointing League finish. It also really annoys me when players are brought in on loan to pad out the squad and then either are hardly ever used or utilised simply to sit on the bench like Mo Barrow, Chapman, Palmer and even Reed at various points over the years. What's the point in that and what must the Academy lads think when their chance is blocked in this manner?

And look at the situation now the loanees have gone back. We have no keeper, one centre half and no decent left back. How can that be viewed as anything else but regression? As Joe says, it matters not really whether you finish 7th or 20th as long as you're making progress towards the following season but what would we have been better doing, loaning the players and finishing 11th or giving the likes of Wharton and another youngster at LB a season's experience going forward and finishing 18th?

I'd say obviously the latter. It's a no brainer for me, I cant even understand why it's up for debate.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I've zero problem with loaning players - it's how the football pyramid operates (money talks, bullshit walks).

I have a massive problem with those loan players not being ones that put you over the top.

We, essentially, loaned Cunningham, Walton and Tosin to finish a comfortable midtable last year. That's an expensive, short term option that doesn't really benefit the club.

And 20k pwk Downing and the 12 million boys.

Some can rant all the want about mid range budget. Fact it it costs this club and its owners a hell of a lot of money just to achieve mediocrity comparitve to some others.

Yet it's almost celebrated annually because they've now been brainwashed with the little old Blackburn Rovers line.

We know who and what we but that has never stopped ambition. Why settle for punching your weight when you've proved beyond doubt you are capable of punching above it.

What we have is a management and running setup designed for the former because it's comfortable for them. We also have ownership with more than enough clout for the latter. Just too brainless or brainwashed to have a real stab at it.

Just carry on filling mediocre pockets 

• Like 3

As much as the signing of a striker, such as Hoffman would be exciting, it would also be infuriating. We clearly do not have large sums of money available to us this summer, so anything substantial that we do have needs to be invested in a GK LB CB and maybe even a winger. Striker is probably the position which needs the least investment in our entire squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, TruRover said:

As much as the signing of a striker, such as Hoffman would be exciting, it would also be infuriating. We clearly do not have large sums of money available to us this summer, so anything substantial that we do have needs to be invested in a GK LB CB and maybe even a winger. Striker is probably the position which needs the least investment in our entire squad. 

Depends if Arma is off?We couldn't go into a season relying on Gallagher and Brereton for our goals 

Altho agreed the first signing through the door should be a goalkeeper followed by centre back and left back 

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

And 20k pwk Downing and the 12 million boys.

Some can rant all the want about mid range budget. Fact it it costs this club and its owners a hell of a lot of money just to achieve mediocrity comparitve to some others.

Yet it's almost celebrated annually because they've now been brainwashed with the little old Blackburn Rovers line.

We know who and what we but that has never stopped ambition. Why settle for punching your weight when you've proved beyond doubt you are capable of punching above it.

What we have is a management and running setup designed for the former because it's comfortable for them. We also have ownership with more than enough clout for the latter. Just too brainless or brainwashed to have a real stab at it.

Just carry on filling mediocre pockets 

So you're for loans because they limit the financial damage our mediocre manager can do?

That's fair when you consider some of the money he's spent.

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

So you're for loans because they limit the financial damage our mediocre manager can do?

That's fair when you consider some of the money he's spent.

I'm agreeing with you on the expense just to finish midtable 

How many similar clubs would love the backing to pull in Downing, Tosin and the like ?

Reed last season.

All to underpin midtable stability. Shows how weak we are in other areas.