BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Look to be slow on the uptake and clubs nicking in front of us again. Nobody else bored by the repetitive nature of Blackburn just now, needs a shot in the arm. I for one need a change as I currently have no motivation for this team and regime. If we don’t it’s another season of looking like we might have promise to ultimately fall back into mid table when the heat gets turned up a notch

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Yes, I am aware. Hanley and Duffy weren't going to stay at a club with no ambition. Wing-backs is what Williams and Bennett were. Years of trying to force them to be something they weren't had not yet happened. I don't recall too many people griping about Lenihan. Lambert was no chancer, though he did overplay his hand. I rate Lambert above Mowbray - more Premiership seasons, for one thing. 

Good grief Lambert was shite and has the integrity of a pissed on paper towel.

He signed Simeon Jackson and Elliott Ward, he dined out with our fan base on his first game at Preston - which we only got up for because as a fan base we were bored of GB, and then provided some of the most turgid and uninspired football that I’ve ever seen in my life. He took the money and did a premeditated runner as soon as his face was back on the scene.

Lambert can do one.

Suppose it’s not as bad as some on here saying that TM is worse than Kean but if Lambert hadn’t once had a few months in Dortmund on his holidays then he’d be managing blummin Blyth Spartans.

Ask Ipswich fans if they want to swap for Mogga.

You know the answer.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

At the risk of being chastised for using data, I posted a comparison of our Squad Age vs Playing Time against Preston North End under the same metrics on social media. You can see just how dispersed we are, with young players pre-peak getting a lot of game time, and a huge chunk in the bottom right for players in the post-peak stage of their careers.

Preston boast a very even side, with older and younger players getting less game time, and the players in their supposed "prime" filling out most of the apps. Those central right based white dots speak volumes about where their squad is currently sitting at vs where the Rovers squad currently sits.

Bearing in mind that Rovers are set to lose three blue dots from this list, in central-ish areas, it doesn't make for amazing viewing if the goal is long-term planning.

212150493_PrestonvsBlackburn.thumb.png.44d4548748ff94726490023a2204726b.png

Whilst having a big chunk of players sat in the pre-peak section for Rovers isn't a bad thing, there's always the unpredictability of whether they will or won't succeed as Championship footballers. See Joe Rankin-Costello, John Buckley and so-forth. In 2019/20 we had twice as many players on the books in their "post-peak" phase than Preston North End did. 

This of course becomes even more fascinating when you look at the spending habits of both sides. Preston have spent a total sum of £1.9m in the last calendar year. They have continued with their development of younger players and seen them transition into the "Peak" section. Spending less than a third that Rovers spent, Preston finished two places better off in the final 2019/20 Championship standings. 

Preston head into 2020/21 with a solid back four, a high standard pairing at CB in Bauer and Davies, and a set of first team goalkeepers. They haven't had to break the bank to manage this, they have simply set their targets, gone after the players they wanted and got deals over the line nice and early. They picked up Patrick Bauer on a cheaper deal mainly because they acted more swiftly and shrewdly than the rest of the market (which included us). They managed a Scott Sinclair loan which really helped them push on this season, and with his contract up they'll likely grab him on a free for the new season too which is some very shrewd management. 

I'm not saying that Preston, only two places above us, are a God like entity we should be striving to replicate. We have a far superior set up at Brockhall, with better facilities, coaching and a far superior youth development program. Preston don't even boast an Under 23's team and have just lost their entire Under 18's crop. There are certainly areas however, most importantly their transfer policies and their ability to sign players in their peak, that we should definitely be trying to emulate if we're to succeed going forward.

Good post. It says a lot about the transfer policy at Ewood. Mowbray has said a few times he wants/likes to develop young players. I think that's probably one of the reasons he originally got the job. Nothing wrong with that policy but I'd imagine the successful teams have a lot bigger % of their players in their prime. 

We desperately need a GK. Dillon Phillips supposedly available for around 1 million. What are we waiting for? Shear stupidity to wait around as if we keep stalling other clubs surely could come in for him. My point is we are probably more desperate for a GK than ANY other championship side. We need to get him over the line as a priority. There is a good chance josh king will be moving on in a few weeks and the club should receive 3-4 million sell on fee for him.

• Like 1

I think the club expect to plug the defensive/goalkeeping gap with loans again and continue to spend money on the midfield and attack positions. I can see a loan CB and GK coming in and then us spending £2m on Ben Whiteman - despite the fact everyone else at the club who has sanity thinks we should spend that £2m on a permanent goalkeeper and leave the midfield as it is. 

Evans and Travis is a more than competent pairing, we don't NEED Whiteman like we NEED a goalkeeper or some defenders.

This is how we'll end up starting the season at this rate, and it's depressing.

Muric
Nyambe Lenihan Harwood-Bellis Bell
Travis Evans
Rothwell Dack Armstrong
Gallagher

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I think the club expect to plug the defensive/goalkeeping gap with loans again and continue to spend money on the midfield and attack positions. I can see a loan CB and GK coming in and then us spending £2m on Ben Whiteman - despite the fact everyone else at the club who has sanity thinks we should spend that £2m on a permanent goalkeeper and leave the midfield as it is. 

Evans and Travis is a more than competent pairing, we don't NEED Whiteman like we NEED a goalkeeper or some defenders.

This is how we'll end up starting the season at this rate, and it's depressing.

Muric
Nyambe Lenihan Harwood-Bellis Bell
Travis Evans
Rothwell Dack Armstrong
Gallagher

Agreed goalkeeper and defence priority but imo we can't go into the season relying on Evans to be fit for more than half of it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

We desperately need a GK. Dillon Phillips supposedly available for around 1 million. What are we waiting for? Shear stupidity to wait around as if we keep stalling other clubs surely could come in for him. My point is we are probably more desperate for a GK than ANY other championship side. We need to get him over the line as a priority. There is a good chance josh king will be moving on in a few weeks and the club should receive 3-4 million sell on fee for him.

King’s contract is now running down - 10 months left - how much is he still expected to be sold for that will leave us with a 3/4 million? 

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

then us spending £2m on Ben Whiteman

Report in the local Doncaster paper saying the club has turned down several bids already for him. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

King’s contract is now running down - 10 months left - how much is he still expected to be sold for that will leave us with a 3/4 million? 

PSG linked with 15 million bid

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do they fit into the role Mowbray want his centre back to play next to Lenihan?

I would say no..

Given that Mowbray wants the next Beckenbauer, we've, no chance of finding anyone.  Just put a no-nonsense, big unit in there and play the football in the top half of the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Given that Mowbray wants the next Beckenbauer, we've, no chance of finding anyone.  Just put a no-nonsense, big unit in there and play the football in the top half of the pitch.

No its doesn't. What a complete and utter over reaction. 

We want a defender who can pass the ball out of defence. Someone like Matt Clarke from Brighton who was on loan last season at Derby. Or Rob Dickie from Oxford. 

That isn't the way Mowbray wants to play. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We want a defender who can pass the ball out of defence. Someone like Matt Clarke from Brighton who was on loan last season at Derby. Or Rob Dickie from Oxford. 

Rob Dickie costs how much?

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

25% sell on fee? That’s some serious negotiation by whoever was sitting in the Chief Exec/FD/Venky dogbody chair that week in 2015...

What odds there was no sell on fee or it has already been spent/mortgaged?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just because it’s the way Mowbray wants to play that way, doesn’t mean it’s the right way.

Wouldn’t you rather have a defender whose primary ability was defending and not passing?

I think the most frustrating thing about this pursuit is that Mowbray used to be a centre half himself!

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the players out there who can play the role.  There aren't many.  Then tell me which one we will pay a sizeable fee for.  TM dug himself a hole with Tosin and his possession football approach.  He based his tactical approach around Tosin playing out -  Stupid move  when you don't own the player.  

Build your system around the core players at the club (ones we own).  Use loans to embellish the system.  That is what should be happening.

*That's not an over reaction by the way - it's common sense.

• Like 7

All we hear out of the club (and the MoBros) are that it's a slow build. Mowbray is steadily building a team that can target promotion.

One would assume that means we have the spine of the team with a few finishing touches needed here and there.

And yet, here we are, going into the new season with no goalkeepers, one centre-back, and £12m worth of goal-shy strikers .

That's assuming we can keep hold of Dack, Armstrong, Travis while Mowbray continues to collect his retirement fund.

Laughing stock.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I've zero problem with loaning players - it's how the football pyramid operates (money talks, bullshit walks).

I have a massive problem with those loan players not being ones that put you over the top.

We, essentially, loaned Cunningham, Walton and Tosin to finish a comfortable midtable last year. That's an expensive, short term option that doesn't really benefit the club.

Ya, 2/3 very good players and we would probably have finished lower without Tosin. So ya, I think we need the core to be stronger and hopefully we will have that with Dack back and Travis and others a year older,wiser and hopefully better! 

15 hours ago, JoeH said:

Fine, if you think that my position on the matter is dumb, criticise away, but don't call the discussion itself stupid, it's very dismissive in my opinion..

Use silly if stupid offends you :) Plus I don't dismiss conversations, I just think saying loans are bad and not a good way for us to do business is, well, silly :)  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel