BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just think saying loans are bad and not a good way for us to do business is, well, silly :)

That's completely normal and respectable, what you actually said was that the conversation itself was silly/stupid/whatever word you prefer. You can call opinions silly all you want for me, but don't dismiss the existence of a conversation, that's quite literally what the message boards are for! :) 

42 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

25% sell on fee? That’s some serious negotiation by whoever was sitting in the Chief Exec/FD/Venky dogbody chair that week in 2015...

Was decided by tribunal, so luckily for us I don't think any of those lot got too close to the negotiation

37 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Just because it’s the way Mowbray wants to play that way, doesn’t mean it’s the right way.

Wouldn’t you rather have a defender whose primary ability was defending and not passing?

I think the most frustrating thing about this pursuit is that Mowbray used to be a centre half himself!

And it doesn't mean your way is right either. Different managers have different ways of playing. 

You can have defender who can defend and pass a ball also.

32 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Look at the players out there who can play the role.  There aren't many.  Then tell me which one we will pay a sizeable fee for.  TM dug himself a hole with Tosin and his possession football approach.  He based his tactical approach around Tosin playing out -  Stupid move  when you don't own the player.  

Build your system around the core players at the club (ones we own).  Use loans to embellish the system.  That is what should be happening.

*That's not an over reaction by the way - it's common sense.

Well no Mowbray didn't dig himself into any hole with Adarabioyo as Mowbray stated the season beforehand he wanted to move this style of play.

I've named you 2 players who could fit that role and I am sure there is plenty more out there. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's completely normal and respectable, what you actually said was that the conversation itself was silly/stupid/whatever word you prefer. You can call opinions silly all you want for me, but don't dismiss the existence of a conversation, that's quite literally what the message boards are for! :) 

Ya, what I actually meant was your opinion on loans was stupid/silly, but I was trying not to be mean by being too specific. Apologies. 

I am glad we cleared this up ?

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The sell on clause would on been decided by the Tribunal. 

If you're on about King there was no Tribunal involved. I thought there was too, but agreement was reached between the two clubs.

Sharpe says the info re the sell-on clause was never made public so people are just guessing.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18479378.rovers-watch-man-united-josh-king-chase-interest/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, what I actually meant was your opinion on loans was stupid/silly

Be a little more specific than "this discussion is stupid" next time then.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And it doesn't mean your way is right either. Different managers have different ways of playing. 

Well no Mowbray didn't dig himself into any hole with Adarabioyo as Mowbray stated the season beforehand he wanted to move this style of play.

I've named you 2 players who could fit that role and I am sure there is plenty more out there. 

You've named two players that for one reason or another we won't sign.  Chaddy, I'm with you.  A ball playing CB is absolutely critical to playing the style TM wants. If it were you and me, we'd spend the money there. 

For some reason (look at the last 9 -10 yrs), we've spent an absolute pittance on defence.  I just can't see that changing if, as is rumoured, we won't shell out £800k on a good keeper, we aren't paying £2million on a CB.

• Like 2

Although we might not like it, the temptation and possibly even logical(insofar as what we can actually know with regards how close a deal is) thing would be to wait for the King deal to happen so we have more money to spend on better players. The problem of course is that deal could drag on til the end of the window. I mean he is certainly leaving , so perhaps, we just pre-emptively spend the money. Although that probably isn't in line with prudent business practice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Dyche had no money.

Yes but Dyche had a plan and a way of playing that he's stuck to from day one. I don't think it's ever involved ball playing centre halves, more like two guys who can get a foot or a head to most balls coming their way. He's also tried to stick to 4-4-2 and it seems to work for him. If you're going to play ale house football you need two strikers to chase down all the long balls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No its doesn't. What a complete and utter over reaction. 

We want a defender who can pass the ball out of defence. Someone like Matt Clarke from Brighton who was on loan last season at Derby. Or Rob Dickie from Oxford. 

That isn't the way Mowbray wants to play. 

Show me a ball playing centre half at this level and I'll show you a centre half who's a defensive accident waiting to happen.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Good grief Lambert was shite and has the integrity of a pissed on paper towel.

He signed Simeon Jackson and Elliott Ward, he dined out with our fan base on his first game at Preston - which we only got up for because as a fan base we were bored of GB, and then provided some of the most turgid and uninspired football that I’ve ever seen in my life. He took the money and did a premeditated runner as soon as his face was back on the scene.

Lambert can do one.

Suppose it’s not as bad as some on here saying that TM is worse than Kean but if Lambert hadn’t once had a few months in Dortmund on his holidays then he’d be managing blummin Blyth Spartans.

Ask Ipswich fans if they want to swap for Mogga.

You know the answer.

Hes the absolute master of PR though.

Here, he knew that Venkys were the enemy. The results and football werent great, so what does he do? Announce that he is leaving due to Venkys and criticises them publically and he goes out as a hero.

At Ipswich, when results were really poor, he pulled out the "pay for the supporters travel" trick when (a couple of 100) fans came to Ewood. And all the way through he has slagged off the chairman and the owners publically which initially at least got the fans onside and ignoring the dismal job he is doing

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You’re right, but I’ve got a crazy notion that in the English second division, defenders should be defenders, first and foremost ....

• Like 7

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hes the absolute master of PR though.

Here, he knew that Venkys were the enemy. The results and football werent great, so what does he do? Announce that he is leaving due to Venkys and criticises them publically and he goes out as a hero.

At Ipswich, when results were really poor, he pulled out the "pay for the supporters travel" trick when (a couple of 100) fans came to Ewood. And all the way through he has slagged off the chairman and the owners publically which initially at least got the fans onside and ignoring the dismal job he is doing

Apart from a wobble at Villa, when Lambert arrived he had an impressive record at this level and successive promotions on his CV. He was a dream hire after the ragtag managers we'd employed before that. He might have signed the likes of Ward, Bennett etc. but let's not forget he also brought in Graham. And he was working with peanuts. His record here wasn't even that bad. Better win % than Bowyer, many of whom never wanted to see the back of. 

But Lambert does appear to have lost that magic touch that served him well at Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich, or he just hasn't found the right club.

• Like 3

Also @chaddyrovers what would you do if you was manager? Would you prioritise getting that defence solid and keeping the ball out of the net, or would you only consider "ball playing defenders?"

Our central midfield partnership of Evans and Travis is a very effective one but its not the best in terms of keeping possession. They are decent on the ball but their strength lies in putting themselves about, pressing the opposition. With those 2 and then plenty of athleticism and youth in front, we should focus on pressing teams and getting in their faces far more often. That is what the game plan should be built around. Do we have the players to be totally dominating games? Not for me. Also, tactics like false 9's, wide strikers etc dont work but Mowbray chooses them. 

If we can get an Adarabioyo who can do both, excellent, but we need a left back, centre back and experienced goalkeeper who can help us get well down from the 60+ goals conceded, thats the priority. If we sign this Dickie that you mention, has he got the calibre to be able to single handily pass the ball out like Adarabioyo did, baring in mind that Lenihan is very limited on the ball himself? And one of our main midfielders in Johnson is abysmal at picking the ball up on the half turn.

Once we do that, if we can keep Dack and Armstrong and get them working together, then we might have half a chance.

I dont think these 2 are realistic necessarily, but I would love us to push the boat out for Van Der Hoorn or Ayala. Both would command high wages, but both are proven at this level, both are free agents and proper defenders and would make a very good partnership with Lenihan. But are they fancy enough for our manager and his delusions of grandeur?

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Apart from a wobble at Villa, when Lambert arrived he had an impressive record at this level and successive promotions on his CV. He was a dream hire after the ragtag managers we'd employed before that. He might have signed the likes of Ward, Bennett etc. but let's not forget he also brought in Graham. And he was working with peanuts. His record here wasn't even that bad. Better win % than Bowyer, many of whom never wanted to see the back of. 

But Lambert does appear to have lost that magic touch that served him well at Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich, or he just hasn't found the right club.

Did he do a particularly groundbreaking job at either Wycombe or Colchester?

That is true and surprising, but looking at their points per game, Lambert collected 1.33 points per game and Bowyer collected 1.44 points per game.

Lambert just had that ability to appear like a man with a plan based on what he said, and obviously it had become stagnant under Bowyer.

Lambert chose to sell Rhodes and brought in a number of substantial loans, Graham was a very good one, the likes of Gomez, Watt, Grimes etc far more underwhelming. And the likes of Bennett, Jackson and Ward were just him signing players he already knew.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did he do a particularly groundbreaking job at either Wycombe or Colchester?

That is true and surprising, but looking at their points per game, Lambert collected 1.33 points per game and Bowyer collected 1.44 points per game.

Lambert just had that ability to appear like a man with a plan based on what he said, and obviously it had become stagnant under Bowyer.

Lambert chose to sell Rhodes and brought in a number of substantial loans, Graham was a very good one, the likes of Gomez, Watt, Grimes etc far more underwhelming. And the likes of Bennett, Jackson and Ward were just him signing players he already knew.

I look at it like this - we were going down when he came in and we didn't go down. I think he sacrificed Rhodes on the understanding he'd get the money to spend on the rest of the team. When that didn't happen it was effectively game over for him and he bailed out. I can't blame him for that. Mowbray would have shrugged his shoulders and kept his bank manager happy. I remember at the time the two guys that came in with him, Irvine and Kelly ?, were both being touted for the managers job by people on here and yet we managed to bag both of them plus Lambert. They must have some responsibility for things not panning out yet nobody ever mentions them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Show me a ball playing centre half at this level and I'll show you a centre half who's a defensive accident waiting to happen.

Ben White

For playing possession football risk is involved but do I want us to play Dyche type football here? No I dont. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Even if it got us promoted?

Exactly, we should have learnt from previous attitudes in regards to style of play, Allardyce got hounded, as soon as he left we've been on a downward slope for 9 years.

20 minutes ago, Amo said:

I agree with you.I think he had that opportunity with us. Working with Ellis has left him with a poor view of chairmen. Lambert needs to understand that Ipswich is a last chance saloon for him .His paying for away supporters that his chairman backed was out of the box thinking that has yet to occur to Waggott.

People seem to have forgotten that as the boardroom battle was getting underway, Lambert's team had games where victory would have seen us in playoff spot. Lambert was a missed opportunity. Irvine and Kelly were then on the panel that selected Warnock, only for Coyle to get appointed - another missed opportunity. They were promised they'd keep their jobs, another broken Venkys promise.

• Like 3