BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Debatable about Bauer, hardly set the world alight

I honestly don't know where you have pulled your theory in the last line from. Mulgrew was clearly out of contention and down the pecking order and Adarabioyo did not play 1 game near midfield at senior level, let alone for us. Whatever Mowbrays faults I am close to 100% sure he played Adarabayo exactly where he planned to and where he has consistently said he would from the moment we signed him. 

I'm not sure about that, Mulgrew started the first game of the season as captain, so I firmly believe that Mowbray intended to use him as first choice with Lenihan until they realised somebody needed to make way for the Cunningham signing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

What were people expecting from Lambert other than what he delivered?

Nobody could seriously have expected promotion from the position we were in November, especially with a depleted squad that had just lost Gestede, King and Cairney and signed Delfouneso, Guthrie, Akpan and Koita. 

There was zero investment in summer 2015 and zero investment in January 2016.

I always remember that shortly after Lambert arrived here Jokanovic got the Fulham job. His record with a better squad there was no better than Lambert's that season. But he got to grips with it and the following year they reached the play offs.

Guardiola wouldn't have got us much better that season. It was all about doing enough to get safe and putting building blocks in place. 

I couldn't give a stuff about style of play. Intact the opposite. Give me a negative defensive minded manager and a pragmatist who prioritises organisation and fitness over a dreamer like Mowbray any day.

I saw evidence of a fitter and better organised side under Lambert with some game like the Middlesbrough home win sticking in memory as impressive.

The only difference was he had the clout on his CV to walk when mucked around by these delusional lunatic owners and had enough to land the Wolves job. It would have been the same with Warnock if they had appointed him under false pretences. whereas the rest of their appointments know they won't get better than here so put up with the rubbish.

Lambert has made poor choices in taking over sinking ships that he hasn't turned around in Stoke and Ipswich but that can change. Remember where Mowbray was with Coventry before getting the job here.

Good post.

Lambert is vilified by Rovers fans but left because he wanted assurances from Venkys that didn’t materialise, and because his hands were tied behind his back on the playing front. He had every right to expect the Rhodes money to be reinvested and it wasn’t.

I’m more suspicious of managers who are happy working under these conditions than the guy who wouldn’t.

Shame really because Lambert and his team was the most optimism we’ve had in 10 years. And I include the temporary sense of momentum after promotion from the third tier, which was the only thing extinguished quicker.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'm not sure about that, Mulgrew started the first game of the season as captain, so I firmly believe that Mowbray intended to use him as first choice with Lenihan until they realised somebody needed to make way for the Cunningham signing.

I forgot he even started that game. He was shite though and dropped after that though I think? Then there was that mysterious run of events that led to him being spirited out of the club. Had we signed Tosin by game 1? Probably not. I just got the feeling Mulgrew was after being told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter this season, captain or not. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I forgot he even started that game. He was shite though and dropped after that though I think? Then there was that mysterious run of events that led to him being spirited out of the club. Had we signed Tosin by game 1? Probably not. I just got the feeling Mulgrew was after being told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter this season, captain or not. 

Yeah we had him by then, he signed on 31st July but in classic Mowbray fashion "wasn't ready to play" the opening game.

Mulgrew started the game as captain, had an absolute stinker and 5 days after that he was bombed out to Wigan on deadline day, to make room for us to sign Cunningham.

Tosin made his debut in the second game of the season at Fulham after Mulgrew departed.

Mulgrew was definitely first choice when the season started, making even more of a mockery of Mowbrays "defenders are coming" quotes.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah we had him by then, he signed on 31st July but in classic Mowbray fashion "wasn't ready to play" the opening game.

Mulgrew started the game as captain, had an absolute stinker and 5 days after that he was bombed out to Wigan on deadline day, to make room for us to sign Cunningham.

Tosin made his debut in the second game of the season at Fulham after Mulgrew departed.

Mulgrew was definitely first choice when the season started, making even more of a mockery of Mowbrays "defenders are coming" quotes.

Ya because had clearly gone to pot the season before

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Debatable about Bauer, hardly set the world alight

I honestly don't know where you have pulled your theory in the last line from. Mulgrew was clearly out of contention and down the pecking order and Adarabioyo did not play 1 game near midfield at senior level, let alone for us. Whatever Mowbrays faults I am close to 100% sure he played Adarabayo exactly where he planned to and where he has consistently said he would from the moment we signed him. 

Why dont you think that Bauer has "set the world alight?" I suppose defenders rarely do but he was part of a defence that conceded 13 fewer goals than the season before, and 9 fewer than us. He won the most aeriel duels out of any defender in the League. I have seen Preston quite a few times and he has always looked solid. Plus hes their permanent signing. Lets not pretend that he would have been anything but an excellent signing. But seemingly wasnt intended to be first choice.

• Like 6

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why dont you think that Bauer has "set the world alight?" I suppose defenders rarely do but he was part of a defence that conceded 13 fewer goals than the season before, and 9 fewer than us. He won the most aeriel duels out of any defender in the League. I have seen Preston quite a few times and he has always looked solid. Plus hes their permanent signing. Lets not pretend that he would have been anything but an excellent signing. But seemingly wasnt intended to be first choice.

Tosin had his strengths too, but ya Bauer would have been a  good signing. Seems Neil just sold Preston to him more than Mowbray sold Rovers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Tosin had his strengths too, but ya Bauer would have been a  good signing. Seems Neil just sold Preston to him more than Mowbray sold Rovers. 

Mowbray had better improve quickly at selling Rovers to players if we have a very restricted budget as otherwise we are not going to be getting any players.

Tosin was like all the other TM signings brought in as back up to wait his turn. That might have ended up being behind Williams after the silly we'll just see if Mulgrew has got any better over summer experiment lead to that fall out.

Presume they'd said he'd get a run of games at some point so the rotation would probably have started anyway according to opposition. Once he'd bedded in to the Blackburn Rovers pecking order  way.

Whatever stop gap comes in this time i doubt will be as easy on the eye but if he can defend in a partnership he'll do. A decent steady keeper as well as - i'll whisper it - we might end up a bit stronger in the center.  God only knows what plans he has for the full backs though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Absolute attack of over loyalty or just plain nostalgia but absolutely typical.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

No he didn't put him forward as a loan signing.

He was asked about ball playing centre halves in the championship.

Chaddy is on twitter etc he would have seen White being linked with a multi million pound transfer

It's Clarke who was on loan at Derby from Brighton he mentioned as a possible signing

Ah. My bad. *Doffs cap to Chaddy.

Anybody mentioned Mike van der Hoorn or Chey Dunkley as possible incomings? 

Both on frees and coming off back of great seasons in the championship. 

Just throwing names out there but 2 good options imo

15 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

15 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Edited by Tugayisgod

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tosin was like all the other TM signings brought in as back up to wait his turn. That might have ended up being behind Williams after the silly we'll just see if Mulgrew has got any better over summer experiment lead to that fall out.

Presume they'd said he'd get a run of games at some point so the rotation would probably have started anyway according to opposition. Once he'd bedded in to the Blackburn Rovers pecking order  way.

Whatever stop gap comes in this time i doubt will be as easy on the eye but if he can defend in a partnership he'll do. A decent steady keeper as well as - i'll whisper it - we might end up a bit stronger in the center.  God only knows what plans he has for the full backs though.

Tosin made his debut at Fulham in the second game alongside Williams as both Lenihan and Mulgrew didn't play. He then got injured and missed a few games. For a few games we were down to two centre halves as Mulgrew fell massively out of favour.

12 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Anybody mentioned Mike van der Hoorn or Chey Dunkley as possible incomings? 

Both on frees and coming off back of great seasons in the championship. 

Just throwing names out there but 2 good options imo

Not a cat in hells chance Rovers could sign him even if we had the money. 

He'll have his choice of any number of top flight teams. Let's get realistic 

Spoke about Van der Hoorn a few pages back - would be quality but I'm not convinced that he fancies the championship. Dunkley's a decent shout on a free, albeit a downgrade on Tosin.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Spoke about Van der Hoorn a couple of pages back - would be quality but I'm not convinced that he fancies the championship. Dunkley's a decent shout on a free, albeit a downgrade on Tosin.

There's a story linking Dunkley with Sheffield Wednesday

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-wigan-chey-dunkley-18756481

Very hard situation and very hard market at the min for everyone so that's not his fault.

However this slow build which is a byword for just keep plodding and the wasting of a lot of money yet still leaving us scratching around in key positions is. It's the prime reason we as fans often moan and want pressure keeping on when everything seems ok.

Because in football you cannot stand still and you never take anything for granted as you do not know what's around the corner. And in this case it was lockdown, nobody saw that coming but it could easily have been something else though.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

What were people expecting from Lambert other than what he delivered?

Nobody could seriously have expected promotion from the position we were in November, especially with a depleted squad that had just lost Gestede, King and Cairney and signed Delfouneso, Guthrie, Akpan and Koita. 

There was zero investment in summer 2015 and zero investment in January 2016.

I always remember that shortly after Lambert arrived here Jokanovic got the Fulham job. His record with a better squad there was no better than Lambert's that season. But he got to grips with it and the following year they reached the play offs.

Guardiola wouldn't have got us much better that season. It was all about doing enough to get safe and putting building blocks in place. 

I couldn't give a stuff about style of play. Intact the opposite. Give me a negative defensive minded manager and a pragmatist who prioritises organisation and fitness over a dreamer like Mowbray any day.

I saw evidence of a fitter and better organised side under Lambert with some game like the Middlesbrough home win sticking in memory as impressive.

The only difference was he had the clout on his CV to walk when mucked around by these delusional lunatic owners and had enough to land the Wolves job. It would have been the same with Warnock if they had appointed him under false pretences. whereas the rest of their appointments know they won't get better than here so put up with the rubbish.

Lambert has made poor choices in taking over sinking ships that he hasn't turned around in Stoke and Ipswich but that can change. Remember where Mowbray was with Coventry before getting the job here.

Terrible manager, so you rate him more than Mowbray, half a season to save Stoke failed, then took Ipswich down to 3rd tier and failed to get promoted, and not the most amicable bloke, can’t see why a few would have back. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, unsall said:

Terrible manager, so you rate him more than Mowbray, half a season to save Stoke failed, then took Ipswich down to 3rd tier and failed to get promoted, and not the most amicable bloke, can’t see why a few would have back. 

Tbf, the former Shrewsbury boss was responsible for most of that. Sold of a lot of experienced Championship players and bought a shit ton of L1 players (including 2 or 3 from Shrewsbury) thinking they could all step up at once. Jon Nolan anyone? has he pulled up any trees? i think with a proper structure in place Lambert could have been a decent option for us to proress with.

Edited by JacknOry

7 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yes , I rate Lambert over Mowbray.No, I wouldn't take him back. That was then and this is now. Irvine and Kelly, I'd have back. Big Sam, too. None of that is probable at all. Unless Venkys find a money tree or Mowbray walks, we're stuck with 'one tone' for two seasons.

• Like 1