BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

I won't spend the owners money for the sake of it.

I think @simongarnerisgod might be bob on there in fact i think TM and the boys might be pushing for it.  All the excuses he needs for a lower mid water treading season. As long as they get assurances it isn't their fault so expectations have to be non other than just get by.

Another season ticked off at Mowbray Towers.

Personally i think if they go into the season with rookies or a gamble like Pears we will be suffering badly after ten games. 

Edited by tomphil

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I won't spend the owners money for the sake of it.

I think @simongarnerisgod might be bob on there in fact i think TM and the boys might be pushing for it.  All the excuses he needs for a lower mid water treading season. As long as they get assurances it isn't their fault so expectations have to be non other than just get by.

Another season ticked off at Mowbray Towers.

Personally i think if they go into the season with rookies or a gamble like Pears we will be suffering badly after ten games. 

we will probably be ok because there are 7 or 8 teams worse than us,certainly don`t expect a top half finish next season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We won't be seeing any new signings in the first starting 11 of the season. The season starts a month today so there is no way near enough time for Tony to integrate them and teach them how to play his style of football

It will be intresting playing without a keeper

• Like 1

At the moment the Championship is in a degree of limbo given the ongoing discussions around a salary cap.  Add to that the uncertainty of the impact of Covid-19 costs on costs and income in the upcoming season which is about to start then whoever is manager at Ewood would be facing a real challenge.  Mind you, that comment applies to every club outside of the Premier League.

If the owners have agreed to  continue to support the losses at Rovers without looking for a reduction in payroll and/or sale of key assets then I will breathe a sigh of relief for the next season.  There has been no direct statement yet that has answered those questions but I take a positive view that there has been no indication otherwise.

Rovers may well be in a better state than several other Championship clubs, we might find that several clubs start the season with points penalties as well as financial challenges.

Nonetheless players leaving (Centre Half, Keeper in particular) and areas of weakness (Left Back?) need attention.  It would be a real bonus if the Academy can deliver some answers, even if it is only to provide solid understudies for those positions.

Pears might be an option for keeper, I hear all the usual complaints about Mowbray going back to players he knows but doesn't every manager? I don't like the idea of a loan keeper, personally I would prefer an experienced goalie, keepers reach their peaks as they approach 30.

Like it or not we will have to expect some gambles - players leaving clubs having lost their place due to injury and so a risk (maybe Cunningham as the left back), inexperienced loans from top clubs etc..

This is likely to be a very frustrating transfer window but we aren't alone.  I really hope that some players and their agents realise that the world has changed, likewise Premiership clubs who expect too much of a contribution from a loan.

I'm glum but feel we have to accept the situation.  It would be lovely (if miraculous) for Brereton and Gallagher to deliver, I also wouldn't write Amari Bell off yet.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What is with the looking down the nose towards Dyches style ?

Dyches football has been successful consistently over a few years, getting them into the top 10 again in the Premier League. Effective and not horrible to watch as people would have you believe. More goals last season than Sheffield United and the Brighton side you regularly laud under Graham Potter.

It isn't looking down the nose towards Dyche at all. I just not a fan of watching his football and wouldn't want to watch it regular. 

Dyche hasn't evolved the team including a better way of playing like Hughes did here during his tenure or Allardyce did at Bolton. 

You mention Potter, but actually look at the job he has done by changing the style and formation. Thats resulted a new contract extension after only few months so must have impressed the owner Tony Bloom and Sporting Director Dan Ashworth. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Priority has to be to fix the defence properly. Would a 21 year old Crewe defender help that?

Continue to leak goals and it will at some point be the end for Mowbray and a lot of our players.

Well he is prospect and someone thats would fit the profile Mowbray has mention about re sale value and asset on the books. His name was mention on Rovers chat YouTube channel aswell. I don't know much foreign football to suggest . I would have mention Cunningham but I don't see coming back. What do you think of the other names I mention in Philips, Clarke, Dickie and Cullen?

6 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Ben White is a player who Brighton have just rejected a £30m bid for. Can you please be realistic ??

I never said we should sign Ben White tho. Look at the conversation that his name was bought up in. Tyrone asked me to a name a ball playing defender who done so I named Ben White. 

I mention Rob Dickie and Matt Clarke as 2 realistically players we could get

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It isn't looking down the nose towards Dyche at all. I just not a fan of watching his football and wouldn't want to watch it regular. 

Dyche hasn't evolved the team including a better way of playing like Hughes did here during his tenure or Allardyce did at Bolton. 

You mention Potter, but actually look at the job he has done by changing the style and formation. Thats resulted a new contract extension after only few months so must have impressed the owner Tony Bloom and Sporting Director Dan Ashworth. 

Well he is prospect and someone thats would fit the profile Mowbray has mention about re sale value and asset on the books. His name was mention on Rovers chat YouTube channel aswell. I don't know much foreign football to suggest . I would have mention Cunningham but I don't see coming back. What do you think of the other names I mention in Philips, Clarke, Dickie and Cullen?

I never said we should sign Ben White tho. Look at the conversation that his name was bought up in. Tyrone asked me to a name a ball playing defender who done so I named Ben White. 

I mention Rob Dickie and Matt Clarke as 2 realistically players we could get

What do you mean Dyche hasnt evolved Burnley ? He again got them a top 10 finish, what more do you want?!

You are far too easily charmed by the medias perception of which teams plays attractive football and which dont. Results become of secondary importance to you. Burnley scored more goals than Brighton and had a far, far better season. Likewise, because Mowbray bangs on about possession football, you seem to be under the impression that our football is more aesthetically pleasing than Dyches, not factoring in the obvious gap in terms of Dyche competing with Premier League clubs. Its not. When we tried to focus solely on promotion we became less effective post lockdown and worse to watch. 

Potter didnt improve on Brightons first league position upon promotion under Hughton, thats the most important thing. For all the supposed fancy football they play, they scored less goals than Burnley but because they supposedly play nice football (I dont agree) there is a perception that they are better to watch than Burnley. Sadly if you want to see goal threat you would go to Turf Moor, for your sins, rather than the AMEX.

Regarding your suggestions, id take Phillips. Him or McGregor for me are the stand outs from the names mentioned. Central midfield isnt a priority, GK, CB, LB and both wide areas are, not withstanding what Mowbray will do. Dickie I have never seen, and Clarke is decent but id prefer someone like Van Der Hoorn, Ayala or Dunkley on a permanent basis ideally. Playing out from the back isnt the priority. Getting that goals against column right down is.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah we had him by then, he signed on 31st July but in classic Mowbray fashion "wasn't ready to play" the opening game.

Mulgrew started the game as captain, had an absolute stinker and 5 days after that he was bombed out to Wigan on deadline day, to make room for us to sign Cunningham.

Tosin made his debut in the second game of the season at Fulham after Mulgrew departed.

Mulgrew was definitely first choice when the season started, making even more of a mockery of Mowbrays "defenders are coming" quotes.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya because had clearly gone to pot the season before

And yet it was Lenihan at fault in the air for both Charlton goals that day.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why dont you think that Bauer has "set the world alight?" I suppose defenders rarely do but he was part of a defence that conceded 13 fewer goals than the season before, and 9 fewer than us. He won the most aeriel duels out of any defender in the League. I have seen Preston quite a few times and he has always looked solid. Plus hes their permanent signing. Lets not pretend that he would have been anything but an excellent signing. But seemingly wasnt intended to be first choice.

Bauer is a basic championship defender. He suited the way Preston played under Alex Neil. 

But we didn't sign him. 

Just like Alex Neil wanting Adam Armstrong at the same time as we signed him

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Tosin was like all the other TM signings brought in as back up to wait his turn. That might have ended up being behind Williams after the silly we'll just see if Mulgrew has got any better over summer experiment lead to that fall out.

Presume they'd said he'd get a run of games at some point so the rotation would probably have started anyway according to opposition. Once he'd bedded in to the Blackburn Rovers pecking order  way.

Whatever stop gap comes in this time i doubt will be as easy on the eye but if he can defend in a partnership he'll do. A decent steady keeper as well as - i'll whisper it - we might end up a bit stronger in the center.  God only knows what plans he has for the full backs though.

Adarabioyo came here to play. Simple as

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Bauer is a basic championship defender. He suited the way Preston played under Alex Neil. 

But we didn't sign him. 

Just like Alex Neil wanting Adam Armstrong at the same time as we signed him

Adarabioyo came here to play. Simple as

A basic Championship defender? Again seemingly lacking any perspective in terms of considering defensive ability as secondary in being a defender!

Bauer had a very good season. Preston improved how many goals they conceded with him as a sole signing there by 13. That is the sort of improvement we needed. He won the most aerial duels out of all defenders in the League. If basic means a massive improvement who does all the basics right and helps you concede far less goals, thats what we needed.

As you say, Armstrong was a very good signing to us, but fairly irrelevant. Although I doubt Alex Neil told him he wouldnt play! We had more money and he had already been here.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dyche has just finished 10th in the Premier League with Burnley, I would suggest that he doesn't need to evolve his football. He also finished 13 points ahead of Graham Potter despite Potter spending spending £70 million on players this season which is about what Dyche has spent over the last 3 seasons combined. You get no extra points for winning pretty, 3 points is 3 points.

• Like 4

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Dyche has just finished 10th in the Premier League with Burnley, I would suggest that he doesn't need to evolve his football. He also finished 13 points ahead of Graham Potter despite Potter spending spending £70 million on players this season which is about what Dyche has spent over the last 3 seasons combined. You get no extra points for winning pretty, 3 points is 3 points.

Plus Burnley scored more goals than them so they cant be that boring! Remind me what the most entertaining part of football is...

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He's got top half Championship footballers to tenth in the Prem and made them look like world-beaters. When he goes they'll be relegated with 7 points. 

I'm sure he'll take your criticism on board though and get turn Ashley Westwood into the new Xavi. 

I think youve quoted the wrong person haha

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A basic Championship defender? Again seemingly lacking any perspective in terms of considering defensive ability as secondary in being a defender!

Bauer had a very good season. Preston improved how many goals they conceded with him as a sole signing there by 13. That is the sort of improvement we needed. He won the most aerial duels out of all defenders in the League. If basic means a massive improvement who does all the basics right and helps you concede far less goals, thats what we needed.

You are missing the point. We didn't sign Bauer therefore he is just a basic limited defender. Had we signed him he would have been an astute addition and an excellent defender. It all depends on what the club do as to how  players are perceived in certain quarters...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dyche hasn't evolved the team including a better way of playing 

He's got top half Championship footballers to tenth in the Prem and made them look like world-beaters. When he goes they'll be relegated with 7 points. 

I'm sure he'll take your criticism on board though and get turn Ashley Westwood into the new Xavi. 

And that goes for you as well @roversfan99 ?

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What do you mean Dyche hasnt evolved Burnley ? He again got them a top 10 finish, what more do you want?!

I give you examples like Hughes during his tenure here. Did you miss this?

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You are far too easily charmed by the medias perception of which teams plays attractive football and which dont. Results become of secondary importance to you. 

I don't need the media perception to tell me anyway as I watched loads of English football

When did I ever say Results become secondary importance to me? Please show me when I said this? Or is this another one of false claims to a comment which was never posted. 

Potter didnt improve on Brightons first league position upon promotion under Hughton, thats the most important thing. For all the supposed fancy football they play, they scored less goals than Burnley but because they supposedly play nice football (I dont agree) there is a perception that they are better to watch than Burnley. Sadly if you want to see goal threat you would go to Turf Moor, for your sins, rather than the AMEX.

Potter is moving the club from Hughton's style to the passing style that Potter wants to play long term. Which is what the club owner Bloom and Sporting Director Ainsworth wanted to move the club towards. 

Regarding your suggestions, id take Phillips. Him or McGregor for me are the stand outs from the names mentioned. Central midfield isnt a priority, GK, CB, LB and both wide areas are, not withstanding what Mowbray will do. Dickie I have never seen, and Clarke is decent but id prefer someone like Van Der Hoorn, Ayala or Dunkley on a permanent basis ideally. Playing out from the back isnt the priority. Getting that goals against column right down is.

Who is McGregor?

We need a partner for Travis as Evans fitness could be problem. Johnson shouldn't be a regular. Cullen would be ideal for me. 

Do you really think we will sign Van Der Hoorn or Ayala? 

You mention that playing out from the back isn't the priority for you maybe but looking at the comments from Mowbray that's the way he wants to play so you need to look at it from his point of view. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Plus Burnley scored more goals than them so they cant be that boring! Remind me what the most entertaining part of football is...

I get what you and Ewood Ace are saying and I agree most of the way but Chaddy does have a point when he says Dyche has never evolved his way of playing. Big Sam started out at Bolton in a very similar workmanlike fashion but by the time he moved on he'd brought in the likes of Djorkaeff, Okocha, Diouff, Anelka etc through the team  and they were nowhere near as one dimensional as some people like to make out. Given time and money I think he would have done the same at Rovers but the Chicken Chokers though they knew better.

Maybe Dyche isn't allowed to go after similar players, or maybe he just doesn't fancy them ? I suspect it's the latter.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I get what you and Ewood Ace are saying and I agree most of the way but Chaddy does have a point when he says Dyche has never evolved his way of playing. Big Sam started out at Bolton in a very similar workmanlike fashion but by the time he moved on he'd brought in the likes of Djorkaeff, Okocha, Diouff, Anelka etc through the team  and they were nowhere near as one dimensional as some people like to make out. Given time and money I think he would have done the same at Rovers but the Chicken Chokers though they knew better.

Maybe Dyche isn't allowed to go after similar players, or maybe he just doesn't fancy them ? I suspect it's the latter.

They are doing better every year. Why change?

• Like 2

We got promoted last time with Short and Berg. Neither would step forward and start spraying the ball around. It's a myth that is what is needed to get us out of this league.

Central Defenders first job should be to defend well. If they can then also play a bit it is simply a bonus. Unfortunately, because it's a bonus it puts them in higher demand / value.

Dyche's football is nowhere near as bad as it's made out. What he does very well is spot a player to build the defensive spine of the team - Heaton and Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, Keane,  Players also improve and progress under him. He then gets the best out of what he has going forward, often making a decent profit in the process and replacing them - Austin, Ings, Gray.

If anyone would turn down the style and model Burnley are adopting there, on the grounds that the football is 'poor', then they are living in cloud chicken land.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

They are doing better every year. Why change?

Well I keep thinking they'll get found out eventually but it hasn't happened yet. Unfortunately there are enough teams that just don't fancy going toe to toe with a team of grafters at the moment. Some of the usual Southern Softies have lost the will to live before they step off the coach in Burnley.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1