BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

12 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Why? What warrants Wharton starting immediately from next season? If we'd signed someone who wasn't one of our youth players from a League Two team to be a starter I imagine there'd be uproar... He's shown nothing to suggest he is capable at this level

Because it is free to try him, if he works, all well and good, if not try something else. We probably have to go down that route because of finances 

10 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Why? What warrants Wharton starting immediately from next season? If we'd signed someone who wasn't one of our youth players from a League Two team to be a starter I imagine there'd be uproar... He's shown nothing to suggest he is capable at this level

Wharton''s not a youth player. Not sure why there'd be uproar. You'd have to ask your mate Mowbray why he kept sending him back to League 2. Three promotions won say he's a lot better than that. Wharton's paid his dues, put in the hard graft and he says he's ready.

Just now, Richard Oakley said:

Wharton''s not a youth player. Not sure why there'd be uproar. You'd have to ask your mate Mowbray why he kept sending him back to League 2. Three promotions won say he's a lot better than that. Wharton's paid his dues, put in the hard graft and he says he's ready.

Haha my mate Mowbray. You know nothing about my opinions of Mowbray. Personally I'd rather change the manager but that's by the by. As long as Wharton says he's ready though then he must be. Three promotions from League 2 is fair enough, but why after the first or second did a League One team not come in for him? Unless they did and he told them he wasn't ready...

9 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Haha my mate Mowbray. You know nothing about my opinions of Mowbray. Personally I'd rather change the manager but that's by the by. As long as Wharton says he's ready though then he must be. Three promotions from League 2 is fair enough, but why after the first or second did a League One team not come in for him? Unless they did and he told them he wasn't ready...

That's the question, isn't it? Mowbray would have selected the destination. When I say that Wharton says he's ready - and he has said it - I'm saying that he has confidence in his own ability.

This discussion over Wharton reminds me of people downplaying Gareth Ainsworth's credentials to succeed Coyle by saying that he'd never managed at this level.That's no longer the case this year.

Just now, Richard Oakley said:

That's the question, isn't it? Mowbray would have selected the destination. When I say that Wharton says he's ready - and he has said it - I'm saying that he has confidence in his own ability.

This discussion over Wharton reminds me of people downplaying Gareth Ainsworth's credentials to succeed Coyle by saying that he'd never managed at this level.That's no longer the case this year.

I know there's a big agenda against Mowbray, correctly so in some aspects, but he's not a moron, he'll know that the higher level experience the better for Wharton. So I can't see he him refusing to send him to a League One club if it was an option...

I can't imagine a professional footballer who wouldn't say they were ready to play for their parent club to be honest. It wouldn't sound good him coming out like "Nah I don't think I'm ready".

I know he's had a good couple of spells in League Two, good on him. Not trying to rule him out as an option, he's got more experience than Carter who looked way out of his depth against Luton. But I'd by no means want us to try Wharton instead of signing a new CB. Him starting should be a last resort for me. The jump between League Two and the Championship is a big one

• Like 1

I'd also like to see Wharton featuring for us next year. I'm not sure what he's done wrong since (imo) impressing when Coyle was here and it would in my view be lunacy to sign this lad from Stoke or Wharton's CB partner from Northampton without giving Wharton the chance first.

So that's what we'll probably do......

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, rigger said:

Because it is free to try him, if he works, all well and good, if not try something else. We probably have to go down that route because of finances 

That's far too much of a gamble, especially in a position like CB. Too much being left to chance. Lets try him because he's here, last man standing in that position because everyone else has gone and he's done well in the 4th division.

I'm not qualified to determine if he is or isn't good enough, because I'm not watching him train and I've not watched him play at this level or for Northampton. But it is a big step up from being a play off chasing/promotion winning League Two side to playing in the Championship, especially if we have serious aspirations of promotion. Accy Stanley are an established Lge 1 club...

Far too much experimenting and hoping for the best here. Stumbling around hoping to end up with a solution that is easy and cheap rather than making a football and results based ruthless decision. If Mowbray doesn't judge him good enough now then the lad needs to move on. If he does judge him good enough then fine, play him in the side and lets see. But I can't see how Mowbray is genuinely going to be of that view. I don't think he knows what he wants.

We would all like Wharton to establish himself at CB because everyone loves a local academy product getting through but I have serious reservations about our approach to defensive recruitment and the potential consequences if we get it wrong. Mowbray can't organise a defence to begin with, even with experienced defenders in the side. Chucking in someone who has never played higher than League Two in the hope it works is gambling with our league status. We need promotion, risks should be kept to a minimum and yet the agenda here seems to be the opposite - maximise risk in the hope a player or two rocket in value and we can get away without any investment into GK/CB.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd also like to see Wharton featuring for us next year. I'm not sure what he's done wrong since (imo) impressing when Coyle was here and it would in my view be lunacy to sign this lad from Stoke or the Wharton's from Northampton without giving Wharton the chance first.

I agree give the guy a chance. I saw him a couple of times in the championship and he didn’t look out of his depth. He may make a mistake or two but what the hell mowbrays entire system is littered with it. Get him In the team and on the pitch and let’s take it from there. We are never going to sign the finished article so if he’s good enough for the endless rolling contracts then he deserves a chance.

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd also like to see Wharton featuring for us next year. I'm not sure what he's done wrong since (imo) impressing when Coyle was here and it would in my view be lunacy to sign this lad from Stoke or Wharton's CB partner from Northampton without giving Wharton the chance first.

Did he not feature in 3 games? Started against Burton who we conceded 2 against, played in the cup against a League Two team who I can't remember, yes he scored but we also conceded 3. And then came on against Rotherham and got pipped to the ball by one of their strikers almost immediately to make it 3-2. I'm sure he's improved since then but impressed he didn't

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

That's far too much of a gamble, especially in a position like CB. Too much being left to chance.

Err, this is exactly the opposite of leaving it to chance. The whole point of our U18s/academy  etc.  Or shall we go spend a couple of bob on another Del or Bell? Scott's our lad and he should be starting until he loses his place.  3 at the back, Wharton,  Darragh, Loan

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

That's far too much of a gamble, especially in a position like CB. Too much being left to chance. Lets try him because he's here, last man standing in that position because everyone else has gone and he's done well in the 4th division.

I'm not qualified to determine if he is or isn't good enough, because I'm not watching him train and I've not watched him play at this level or for Northampton. But it is a big step up from being a play off chasing/promotion winning League Two side to playing in the Championship, especially if we have serious aspirations of promotion. Accy Stanley are an established Lge 1 club...

Far too much experimenting and hoping for the best here. Stumbling around hoping to end up with a solution that is easy and cheap rather than making a football and results based ruthless decision. If Mowbray doesn't judge him good enough now then the lad needs to move on. If he does judge him good enough then fine, play him in the side and lets see. But I can't see how Mowbray is genuinely going to be of that view. I don't think he knows what he wants.

We would all like Wharton to establish himself at CB because everyone loves a local academy product getting through but I have serious reservations about our approach to defensive recruitment and the potential consequences if we get it wrong. Mowbray can't organise a defence to begin with, even with experienced defenders in the side. Chucking in someone who has never played higher than League Two in the hope it works is gambling with our league status. We need promotion, risks should be kept to a minimum and yet the agenda here seems to be the opposite - maximise risk in the hope a player or two rocket in value and we can get away without any investment into GK/CB.

Ideally I would like to see us sign experienced defenders, but just maybe,we have no money to do that. And in the words of Souness we have to piss with the cock we have.

Training will be interesting on Monday. If Hilton and Fisher are still furloughed then Irwin will potentially be the only keeper there. I expect a plethora of trialists arriving from various places for Mowbray to sift through trying to find a Samba but more likely to get a Songo'o. Any signings/trialists from Spain, Holland or France won't be able to train for two weeks after arriving.

Four weeks tomorrow the season starts - we are in a mess.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

That's not how it works though is it. You don't go to D2 to learn silky skills. He's got the skills already else we wouldn't persist in giving him contracts. You put him into D2 because it's full of big strong evil bastards who will kick you, stand on you,  jump into you, elbow you ... Learn how to cope with that and you come back a more complete player.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Training will be interesting on Monday. If Hilton and Fisher are still furloughed then Irwin will potentially be the only keeper there. I expect a plethora of trialists arriving from various places for Mowbray to sift through trying to find a Samba but more likely to get a Songo'o. Any signings/trialists from Spain, Holland or France won't be able to train for two weeks after arriving.

Four weeks tomorrow the season starts - we are in a mess.

Was Hilton ever furlough in the 1st place? 

Who Irwin?

Wont clubs just test the players arriving from these countries meaning they can train? 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wont clubs just test the players arriving from these countries meaning they can train? 

If it were so simple then all the trouble about Spain and France quarantine measures could be circumvented simply by people having tests done on arrival.

The rules are the rules, I don't see why exceptions should be made for football clubs just because they can afford private testing. The players would still have to travel to the training ground potentially spreading the virus.

We won't be signing triallists from abroad so we need not worry about that particular issue.

9 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

That's not how it works though is it. You don't go to D2 to learn silky skills. He's got the skills already else we wouldn't persist in giving him contracts. You put him into D2 because it's full of big strong evil bastards who will kick you, stand on you,  jump into you, elbow you ... Learn how to cope with that and you come back a more complete player.

we gave Sam Hart two contracts even though he was never remotely good enough.

I'm not saying Wharton isn't. Just that in 3 years Mowbray hasnt shown any desire to play him. I'm struggling to believe that has suddenly changed this summer just as we happen to have no other defenders.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The rules are the rules, I don't see why exceptions should be made for football clubs just because they can afford private testing. The players would still have to travel to the training ground potentially spreading the virus.

Well clubs will probably be excluded from the rules. All players will be tested on return. Plenty have been overseas on holiday in recent weeks 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Was Hilton ever furlough in the 1st place? 

Who Irwin?

I understood the reason Eastham (not Irwin - sorry!) was on the bench at Luton was because Fisher and Hilton were furloughed.

I really don't know if any trialists will be tested on arrival. Schapps had to quarantine so I'd be surprised if exceptions were made for footballers having a trial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53557510

Just now, arbitro said:

I understood the reason Eastham (not Irwin - sorry!) was on the bench at Luton was because Fisher and Hilton were furloughed.

I really don't know if any trialists will be tested on arrival. Schapps had to quarantine so I'd be surprised if exceptions were made for footballers having a trial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53557510

I thought Hilton was injured so why he didnt make the bench. Fisher on furlough fair enough cos he couldnt feature. 

I wont be surprise at all if footballers was exempt due to private testing and special rules they are under similar to post lockdown resumption of the game. Some of Rovers players have been overseas in Spain or Greece or Italy. So they would have got tested by the club surely?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I thought Hilton was injured so why he didnt make the bench. Fisher on furlough fair enough cos he couldnt feature. 

I wont be surprise at all if footballers was exempt due to private testing and special rules they are under similar to post lockdown resumption of the game. Some of Rovers players have been overseas in Spain or Greece or Italy. So they would have got tested by the club surely?

I'm not aware of any exemptions to the quarantine rules. If there was a loophole by being tested surely many people would exploit this.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

No, Fisher had been out on loan and therefore couldn't feature, and Hilton had a training knock.