BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, phili said:

From what I have heard, we need to prepare for players leaving and no new signings until the January/February window.

If we start the season with:

Fisher
Nyambe Lenihan Wharton (or Williams) Bell
Travis Johnson
Brereton Rothwell Armstrong
Gallagher

We'll get relegated

Just now, JoeH said:

Fisher
Travis Johnson
Gallagher

We'll get relegated

I agree, although I am not sure Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell and Armstrong will still be with us to make the side.

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good point made. 

We deffo need 2 keepers in

You DONT KNOW the budget is very limited. So why keep repeating it? - Most likely because all the evidence suggests we haven't a pot to p1ss in.  If this wasn't true, decent signings, better than we already have, would have been made by now.

I gave you 2 examples of ball playing centre back we could get in who are good player. Rob Dickie and Matt Clarke. I'm sure there is loads of foriegn options like Chumi from Barcelona B for example.  All this cr@p about a ball playing centre half is a nonsense.  Aren't all professional footballers meant to be able to pass a bloody ball!!!!!!!!!!!!  First priority for any defender has to be an ability to defend (at least at our level), any silky skills after that are a bonus.  All this possession stiff is again, IMO, nonsense and nothing more than a tactic to buy Mowbray more time. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, phili said:

From what I have heard, we need to prepare for players leaving and no new signings until the January/February window.

Most likely scenario.  The silence from Ewood is deafening.  Certainly no signs of having any deals lined up. Squad back in Monday with no new additions.  'Looking' at the younger players isn't going to tell Mowbray anything he didn't already know 6 weeks ago.

That said, not sure we, would get any kind of serious money this summer for our players. 

None bar Armstrong likely to attract any PREM interest.  Champ sides aren't going to spend big fees.

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Fisher
Travis Johnson
Gallagher

We'll get relegated

I don't think that side is relegation material at all. In fact, the bulk of that side played this season and we came 11th. What changes next year? ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Who told you that? Andy Ridgwell, Twitter's finest up and coming gossip monger?

No just the field of work I am in. Venky's will be doing a rights issue to Venky's London Ltd in the next 2 weeks but it isn't the amount anticipated as being required for the first half of the season.

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think that side is relegation material at all. In fact, the bulk of that side played this season and we came 11th. What changes next year? ?

Totally agree, the only real changes are at centerback in a defence that leaked 60 goals anyway, and replacing a keeper that most people have slated. The way we play will be more influential on where we finish in the league.

Edited by rigger

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We were looking over our shoulders in November. Our defence was porous last season and we have a manager incapable of setting a team up to be defensively solid.

Replace Walton, Cunningham and Tosin with Fisher, Bell and Wharton. You've lost an average keeper and two good defenders with one crap defender and two unknown entities, that might be OK or might not.

It doesn't take much in this league for a team to go from mid table to relegation trouble. Just ask Middlesbrough, Stoke and Reading.

Lose Dack or Armstrong or both and we are also in serious trouble for goals.

Edited by JHRover

55 minutes ago, phili said:

This would be extremely frustrating, more than usual because of the climate. Now is the time when the modest spend we like would really give us an edge and allow us to fix all the problems for less than usual due to the weakness of selling clubs and the reduced bargaining position of players.

Meanwhile, for those exact same reasons, it's a terrible time to try to sell assets as nobody will throw big money around. It's an incredibly inefficient time to become a selling club again instead of a buying one.

If Venkys other businesses are under pressure though it's not that surprising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Have you ever seen this Chumi play? 

My point is that we must prioritise getting that goals against column down over playing it out from the back. If that means we have to become slightly more pragmatic and compromise on any principles to play out from the back, then so be it. As ever, you are just trying to second guess Mowbray to ensure that he appears to be right.

Am I football scout?

You can sign a defender who can defend but play out from the back also. They arent mutant exclusive that cos he is ball playing centre back he isn't a good at defending, 

I ain't second guess Mowbray cos I don't need to cos we know how he wants to play and he needs to sign players that fit that style and tactics/Formation. Pointless signing players thats doesn't fit that way

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Wide forwards dont work either. Gallagher and Brereton lumbering down the sides? No thanks. Again, just because Mowbray chooses to play them, doesnt mean we have to endorse and agree with it.

Have your own opinions.

I never said said wide forwards work did I? Do you actually read what I write or just read what you want to read and make up false claims day after day roversfan99? I listened to the Rovers chat Video where Joe was on suggesting players and using stats to back up his points

Ive told you my opinion on how I would play haven't I? but yet again you posted this!

You just keep suggesting players that doesn't fit in with the way Mowbray wants to play is pointless tbh, Like I said before Mowbray wants to play that style so you need players thats fit within that style. 

1 hour ago, phili said:

Are we not at the end of a standard Venky cycle? Spend some cash for a few seasons and then cut the supply line off completely, whilst selling anything of value.

Last time they did that, we went down.

History looking to repeat itself.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I ain't second guess Mowbray cos I don't need to cos we know how he wants to play and he needs to sign players that fit that style and tactics/Formation. Pointless signing players thats doesn't fit that way

You are assuming that Mowbray knows the style and system that he wants to play. Judging by what I have seen on the pitch I don't think he has a clue.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

No team needs two 1st team keepers. It’s probably nice to have. But it is not a need

If Walton's one of them we'll need them both out on the pitch at the same time. I always wondered if a team with two goalkeepers and nine outfield players would beat a team with one goalie and ten outfield players.

Style this, style that, what a load of horse shit. We are desperate for a GK, CB and LB irrespective of any other criteria, failure to address this is criminal. All this procrastinating by Mowbray and the loons in Pune will result in decent targets being no longer available. It's time to piss or get off the pot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Most likely because all the evidence suggests we haven't a pot to p1ss in.  If this wasn't true, decent signings, better than we already have, would have been made by now.

11 championship teams have yet to make any signings this window. So where is this evidence then? cos we haven't sign any one. They has only been 27 signings so far, most of them wouldn't be improvement on the current team?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, nonsense and nothing more than a tactic to buy Mowbray more time. 

Why does Mowbray needs to buy any time when he 2 years left on his contract and support of the owners? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Am I football scout?

You can sign a defender who can defend but play out from the back also. They arent mutant exclusive that cos he is ball playing centre back he isn't a good at defending, 

I never said said wide forwards work did I? Do you actually read what I write or just read what you want to read and make up false claims day after day roversfan99? I listened to the Rovers chat Video where Joe was on suggesting players and using stats to back up his points

Ive told you my opinion on how I would play haven't I? but yet again you posted this!

You just keep suggesting players that doesn't fit in with the way Mowbray wants to play is pointless tbh, Like I said before Mowbray wants to play that style so you need players thats fit within that style. 

I am suggesting players who I THINK we should get, and the way I THINK we should play, not players who I think Mowbray will get, or who I think suit what I think Mowbrays planned tactics are. Otherwise I would be also suggesting "wide forwards" and "false 9s" who again I wouldnt play personally. It isnt pointless just because my opinion doesnt perfectly marry with what I think Mowbrays opinion is.

Clarke is a fair shout, seemed decent when I saw him last season but then again, Derby conceded a goal more than us. 

He is hardly of the Adarabioyo mould of bringing it out from the back, I dont think a player of similar ability in that regard who also can help us keep more clean sheets is realistic if I am honest.

If we can get a defender who (with the help of a goalkeeper and left back) helps us gets that goals conceded column down massively, that will do me just perfectly. Ideally with some recovery pace to allow us the option to push out a bit. If he is considered a "ball playing centre back" then thats a bonus. 

The 2 arent mutually exclusive (or mutant exclusive which sounds scary) but very difficult to get both so you have to prioritise.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

You are assuming that Mowbray knows the style and system that he wants to play. Judging by what I have seen on the pitch I don't think he has a clue.

Agreed. Nobody saw the whole false 9 thing coming after the restart, for example. And now that he has a few weeks' thinking time before the new season, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up dreaming up another over-complicated plan.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

11 championship teams have yet to make any signings this window. So where is this evidence then? cos we haven't sign any one. They has only been 27 signings so far, most of them wouldn't be improvement on the current team?

Why does Mowbray needs to buy any time when he 2 years left on his contract and support of the owners? 

Irrespective of what other teams are doing, we have no 1st team keeper, we have 1 CB, we don't have a LB who is worth a toss so I would say we are pretty desperate to get some bodies in to fill these gaping holes in the first team.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well he already has hasn't he? What style does our £12M strike force fit? Wide strikers---I don't think so.

I you watched Holloways commentary on his Blackpool team the " wide forwards " he mentioned were all nippy, more mobile guys with a trick or two. Not exactly how I'd describe Gallagher or Brererton.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces