BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Can we please stop questioning whether Chaddy is on recreational drugs or not? And Chaddy can you please stop entertaining it? It’s mind numbing for the rest of us. 

In other news, is there any confirmation yet that FFP has been amended for the coming season? Please don’t post that UEFA article, we need EFL guidelines not UEFA. If they’re not changing FFP we are at the end of the cycle and not paying decent money for anyone. 

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Can we please stop questioning whether Chaddy is on recreational drugs or not? And Chaddy can you please stop entertaining it? It’s mind numbing for the rest of us. 

In other news, is there any confirmation yet that FFP has been amended for the coming season? Please don’t post that UEFA article, we need EFL guidelines not UEFA. If they’re not changing FFP we are at the end of the cycle and not paying decent money for anyone. 

Fair enough. 

Have you heard anything regarding transfers?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

11 championship teams have yet to make any signings this window. So where is this evidence then? cos we haven't sign any one. They has only been 27 signings so far, most of them wouldn't be improvement on the current team?  So that means 13 Championship teams HAVE made signings!!!  When LT indicates our goalie targets are the likes of Iversen, Muric (loans we may not be able to afford) and Cornell (free), it tells you where we are shopping!  Our goalkeeping department and defence is, IMO, threadbare and almost devoid of quality.  We are in one helluva mess through, IMO, Mowbray's very, very poor player trading.

Why does Mowbray needs to buy any time when he 2 years left on his contract and support of the owners?  Even the V's patience will run out.  Evolution and slow build haven't taken us very far and we really need half a new team!  So, IMO, Mowbray then throws in the possession based stuff.  If I was the owner, I'd be saying 'feck that, you've spent £20million+ (including wages) on misfiring strikers, we are having to pump in getting on for £20million a season and we are really not that much further on than when you first joined us and failed to keep us up'.  IMO, Mowbray has limited defence of his position. We want results  and progress fast and not, IMO, feckin bullsh1t and soundbites. 

Edited by Mercer

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough. 

Have you heard anything regarding transfers?

I’ve heard nothing — but the reality isn’t that hard to work out.

We where right at the FFP limit, that’s reflected in the club accounts. But, we have lost some big earners and are trying to offload another in Mulgrew.

If FFP isn’t relaxed, I suspect we’re in the market for loans and frees using the difference in the wage budget to finance anyone brought into the club. 
If FFP is relaxed I guess we’re in the same position as most seasons, we have 2/3 million quid to spend plus a percentage of whatever sales are made. 

If we go another season without invested in our make shift defence we may as well chuck the towel in. If I was in charge I’d refuse any investment in strikers, wingers and midfielders. Get Nyambe signed up on a new contract, too. 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

So that means 13 Championship teams HAVE made signings!!!  When LT indicates our goalie targets are the likes of Iversen, Muric (loans we may not be able to afford) and Cornell (free), it tells you where we are shopping!  Our goalkeeping department and defence is, IMO, threadbare and almost devoid of quality.  We are in one helluva mess through, IMO, Mowbray's very, very poor player trading.

Blimey Mercer, let's make signings cos Other teams have. Let's on the players who have been signed so far. Mostly wouldnt improve our team. Let's sign Morgan Fox or Grant Hall then..Fox was part of a defence that conceded 7 against us and Hall was part of one of the worst defence. 

We will sign players when we get the deal that is acceptable and right for the club. 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Even the V's patience will run out.  

You been saying this years after years. Never been right. 

25 minutes ago, J*B said:

User (not that kind) feedback for you. I'd rather the same old circular arguments largely between the same small cast of characters, which have caused this thread to balloon to nearly 200 repetitive pages already, were the posts being moderated out or discouraged. Not the occasional short string of one-line wisecracks, which take a second to read and are meant to alleviate the tedium.

But it's not my board. I just come here every day.

Just now, bluebruce said:

User (not that kind) feedback for you. I'd rather the same old circular arguments largely between the same small cast of characters, which have caused this thread to balloon to nearly 200 repetitive pages already, were the posts being moderated out or discouraged. Not the occasional short string of one-line wisecracks, which take a second to read and are meant to alleviate the tedium.

But it's not my board. I just come here every day.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve just searched for any reports made from your account in the past three months and can see you haven’t made a single one. 
All moderation is done by volunteers and therefore only works if people can point us to the issues. If you’re not reporting things we can only assume there’s no issues. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Joe Harvey provided a link to Charlton director of football Steve Gallen saying the Philips has rejected a new contract. They dont want to let him go cos they want promotion 

They're in League One. We are in the Championship.

It's like us trying to stop Dack joining Southampton. If they really want him they'll get him. If we really want Phillips we will get him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve just searched for any reports made from your account in the past three months and can see you haven’t made a single one. 
All moderation is done by volunteers and therefore only works if people can point us to the issues. If you’re not reporting things we can only assume there’s no issues. 

Correct, I don't report people by and large. As I'm a bit more laissez-faire about it all. My point is that if you're going to crack down on things, my personal opinion is that would be a much better thing to crack down on.

You all read this thread. You wouldn't have just deleted a bunch of posts from it otherwise. I'm not sure what needed reporting therefore, as the problem is fairly glaring and frequently complained about on this thread. I've volunteered to be a moderator here before myself, twice I think, as I have experience being the main administrator of a larger board than this, where the demographic was hiphop fans who frequently lay into each other. I'm aware of what a thankless task it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Charlton are not in a position to offer Naby Sarr a new contract due to their embargo. Left footed CB, good on the ball. Wonder if hes on the radar.

Wouldnt be my choice personally because he has a mistake in him.

It's a good shout, a player who would fit the bill if the budget was lower, Wharton and Sarr would be a tolerable pair pushing each other for that position. One of them's got to thrive!

Whoever picks him up at his age on a free is doing shrewd business for me, so there goes our chances of grabbing him

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

How about taking the views of long standing posters on board, instead of a snide response? 

It’s in no way intended to be snide, I just cannot let the moderation team be questioned if the reports aren’t submitted as we’ve repeatedly asked for more reports. We rely on them.

Especially on this thread I tend to read the previous 5/10 or so comments then post based on them, if a report isn’t made about the post ~15 posts ago, I certainly won’t see it. 

Smallwood, 10k?
Leutwiler, 5k?
Hart, 5k?
Samuel, 7.5k?
Graham, 15k?

These are probably conservative guesses but those wages alone being gone is over £2.2m taken off the bill. Take Mulgrew off if we manage to get shift of him we're talking nearer to £3m off the wage bill from last year. Surely we can manage a goalkeeper and a centre-back from a £3m budget? Surely we can afford Dillon Phillips at £800,000 to £1,500,000?

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Correct, I don't report people by and large. As I'm a bit more laissez-faire about it all. My point is that if you're going to crack down on things, my personal opinion is that would be a much better thing to crack down on.

You all read this thread. You wouldn't have just deleted a bunch of posts from it otherwise. I'm not sure what needed reporting therefore, as the problem is fairly glaring and frequently complained about on this thread. I've volunteered to be a moderator here before myself, twice I think, as I have experience being the main administrator of a larger board than this, where the demographic was hiphop fans who frequently lay into each other. I'm aware of what a thankless task it is.

Please do report as many offending posts as you see, it’s really helpful to us. The rules which show what does and what doesn’t need reporting are here: 

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

It’s in no way intended to be snide, I just cannot let the moderation team be questioned if the reports aren’t submitted as we’ve repeatedly asked for more reports. We rely on them.

Especially on this thread I tend to read the previous 5/10 or so comments then post based on them, if a report isn’t made about the post ~15 posts ago, I certainly won’t see it. 

I don’t recall ever hearing you ask for ‘reports’, but ok...

Just now, JoeH said:

Smallwood, 10k?
Leutwiler, 5k?
Hart, 5k?
Samuel, 7.5k?
Graham, 15k?

These are probably conservative guesses but those wages alone being gone is over £2.2m taken off the bill. Take Mulgrew off if we manage to get shift of him we're talking nearer to £3m off the wage bill from last year. Surely we can manage a goalkeeper and a centre-back from a £3m budget? Surely we can afford Dillon Phillips at £800,000 to £1,500,000?

It depends entirely on FFP. Let’s say for argument sake we have saved 3m from the yearly budget — I say ‘yearly’ because a wage budget and a transfer budget doesn’t exist in football, they’re amalgamated into the same thing. If Dillon Phillips is available at 800K, that would be split at 200K/year based on a 4 year deal. Add wages of 12K a week (guessing), plus a 10% signing on fee at 80K, plus pension and NI, that would bring the yearly cost in at 1M quid. We could really bring three players in this year based on those figures. If the LB/CB plan is going to cost more than the Phillips deal we need to make a decision on who’s most important. 

Just now, JoeH said:

Smallwood, 10k?
Leutwiler, 5k?
Hart, 5k?
Samuel, 7.5k?
Graham, 15k?

If the salary site I look at is any where near accurate, the players we've released, including Downing would save about £5m a year. If rumours are correct and a saving in the wage bill of £5m are correct that money would not be available to be used in transfer fees or to pay wages of those brought in on a free.

Just now, J*B said:

If the LB/CB plan is going to cost more than the Phillips deal we need to make a decision on who’s most important. 

Agreed. But I think this constantly perpetuated notion that we don't have a budget is silly, we have the same budget we had last season pre-cash injection, and if that cash injection still doesn't come, there's still funds to play with. I agree than not all three of those positions can be filled with permanent deals if the budget is purely based off money created from players we let go in July, but I don't think Mowbray intends to find permanent answers to all three positions anyway.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Stoke have signed Steven Fletcher and Forest have Lyle Taylor in for a medical. Seems like things are starting to move elsewhere.

The game of domino's begins.