BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

18 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Our lack of effective transfer dealing prior to kick off has hamstrung us for years under venkys.  We never get off to a good start. 

In fairness, the only time we have was at the start of the summer in League 1...I wish we’d get going too but I’ll be happy so long as they get the necessary done before the window closes

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I don't always moan I comment on what I see.Plenty of times I have given Mowbray and the club praise.

"judge the recruitment after the window is closed" you say this every window.We have no first team goalkeeper,no central defensive partner for Lenihan, no competent left back ,no striker apart from Armstrong as Mowbray plays Gallagher and Brereton out wide.

We are a few week away from the start of the season the window might not shut till October the 10th but if we are waiting till then to address those key areas then we will be in for a struggle this season, no question.

We do have strikers besides Armstrong. As you state though the manager insists on playing them out of position. His inadequacy, not theirs.

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

They should approach Euro Garages.  A large Blackburn firm...

Firstly, no surprise 10Bet exercised their break clause.  I guess their perception might have been that Rovers were a dull, unimaginative club and drifting along rather aimlessly.

The guys behind Euro Garages could buy the club if they really wanted rather than do a shirt sponsorship.  I don't see much at all in a shirt sponsorship deal for them as can't see it driving incremental business on their forecourts. 

Think Rovers might be really struggling here.  Economically, not the best time to try and obtain new sponsorship and notwithstanding the economy, what the hell can Rovers offer a new sponsor?

If we had a vibrant young manager in charge and it could be seen the club was going places............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

The goal keeper situation is genuinely scary. If the 10bet sponsorship issue affects our budget greatly and we cant bring anyone in we are looking at a relegation battle in my book. We have no established keeper on the books. We desperately need 2 in the door, even if we get one in then we are running a huge risk. 

As bad as the centre half situation is you've got lenihan and Williams 1st choice with wharton and nyambe to cover that could keep us up at least. All the focus should be on getting a goalkeeper in the building at this point, the 2nd keeper they might be able to leave till later in the window.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

The goal keeper situation is genuinely scary. If the 10bet sponsorship issue affects our budget greatly and we cant bring anyone in we are looking at a relegation battle in my book. We have no established keeper on the books. We desperately need 2 in the door, even if we get one in then we are running a huge risk. 

As bad as the centre half situation is you've got lenihan and Williams 1st choice with wharton and nyambe to cover that could keep us up at least. All the focus should be on getting a goalkeeper in the building at this point, the 2nd keeper they might be able to leave till later in the window.

Total agreement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was just the other side of your comment you made thats all. If I feel the need to criticise the club I will but if I don't I won't

Other clubs have no 1st choice keeper like Birmingham, Huddersfield for example and haven't got one in yet. 

We do have partner for Lenihan in Williams or Wharton. Yes we need 1 centre back in and I am sure we get once in. 

There isn't many transfers happened so far. Probably around 20% of total transfers done when we reached the end of the window. A number of championship clubs haven't made any signings yet

we are 4 weeks away from the start of the league season and we need a number of signings to be made by then. But out of the players thats have transfers done so far is there anyone out there you think we really miss out on? 

As has been pointed out, people are concerned because Venkys "way of working" ALWAYS means that we are behind everyone else.

In regards to signings that have gone elsewhere, Morgan Fox, George Friend and Tyler Blackett are all better than any of the left backs we have, Chey Dunkley, James Chester and Grant Hall would all currently get into our team next to Lenihan,  Kieffer Moore, Lyle Taylor and Steven Fletcher would all be better than Gallagher and Brereton, Ryan Woods and Jack Colback would be useful in midfield and Kieran Sadlier looks a decent winger which is something we lack.

The vast majority of them players, we can definitely do better than and I dont think any scream out as outstanding but working in a tight economic climate, the challenge is now on to see if Mowbray can get any better.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

In fairness, the only time we have was at the start of the summer in League 1...I wish we’d get going too but I’ll be happy so long as they get the necessary done before the window closes

Before the season starts surely. No good signing players after that otherwise we are already potentially at a disadvantage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Every window there are lots of clubs panicking as we get to the last knockings of the window and we are usually one of them. The summer window closes several games into the season by which times a poor start can determine your whole season. I just do don't get that mentality and have read several reasons why people think it happens that way but none of them make sense in the context of a poor start. For once I'd like to see us hit the ground running with new signings in place when the season starts.

• Like 5

With the window not shutting till October we might very well be in see how it goes territory and the start of the season. Plenty players and clubs will probably be doing similar then there might be a mad/desperate flurry of activity at the last min all over.

We need to dig a keeper up from somewhere but like it or not there's enough in the squad now to put out a competent team at the off. Can very much see Mulgrew sitting tight after observing the generosity to the likes of Smallwood and Williams being no 1 choice with Lenihen for now.

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would not make a judgement until they have played.

Williams and Wharton have both played, neither pulled any trees up, hence the Tosin loan last season. If we have any aspirations to be more than a low/relegated championship side we need a GK, CB and LB, if not we ship 63+ goals minimum next season

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The window closes a month after the season starts then we have to wait for them to bed in and learn " Mowbray's way"

We need signings prior to the season starting

• Like 4

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

You don't need to defend everything the club does.

Mowbray has been here 3 seasons and has signed 1 player from abroad in Holtby, it's not good enough really.Covid will just be used as a coveniant excuse whilst other clubs bring in foreign players.

Recruitment needs to be taken away from Mowbray,we need a DOF

We have the 1st team coach doubling up as that.

Everybody at Ewood apart from the middleman and his pals work under Mowbray.

That's why he's coasting it under no questioning apart from a yearly meeting by the looks of it. Best job in the Championship in that regard.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The first 3 points are on offer September 12th. By the time the transfer window closes we will have played for 24 points.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Williams and Wharton have both played, neither pulled any trees up, hence the Tosin loan last season. If we have any aspirations to be more than a low/relegated championship side we need a GK, CB and LB, if not we ship 63+ goals minimum next season

I don't think you should put Wharton on a par with Del until he's dropped as many clangers as he has for the first team.  In fact, its a bit insulting to the lad.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

How do you know that Wharton has not improved with his loan experience 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

How do you know that Wharton has not improved with his loan experience 

i say give the lad a chance,he can obviously cope with the physical side,having spent time in the lower divisions and excelled by all reports,he should certainly get some game time here,if he`s not up to it then offload him,tosin is`nt coming back and williams is weedy at centre back,give the lad a chance and see how it goes

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i say give the lad a chance,he can obviously cope with the physical side,having spent time in the lower divisions and excelled by all reports,he should certainly get some game time here,if he`s not up to it then offload him,tosin is`nt coming back and williams is weedy at centre back,give the lad a chance and see how it goes

In an ideal world i'd certainly like to see him here as back up to Lenihen and a couple of other decent ones.

Nothing against Williams but you really shouldn't be poncing around waiting to see if he really is any good at centre half over a season if you have any aspirations. Fair enough as 3rd choice back up.

Edited by tomphil

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

In an ideal world i'd certainly like to see him here as back up to Lenihen and a couple of other decent ones.

Nothing against Williams but you really shouldn't be poncing around waiting to see if he really is any good at centre half over a season if you have any aspirations. Fair enough as 3rd choice back up.

i can categorically tell you now that williams is useless as a centre back and even worse as a left back,iv`e watched him enough through his tenure here to realise he`s about as much use as an artex canoe,he`s a nice lad though and good in the dressing room,which is a mowbray prerequisite

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

i can categorically tell you now that williams is useless as a centre back and even worse as a left back,iv`e watched him enough through his tenure here to realise he`s about as much use as an artex canoe,he`s a nice lad though and good in the dressing room,which is a mowbray prerequisite

Categorically agree but that's not how it works here as we've seen although maybe him moving there at least made them pull their fingers out and sign a proper LB on loan. That didn't work out due to injuries but neither did Williams as a 1st choice good championship center half.

A little bird on here was kind enough to share with me that he'd heard the penny had dropped with TM after the PNE match. Shouldn't have needed that but again that's what we are dealing with. If Mulgrew got a second bite of the cherry at the beginning of last season it's almost certain Williams will.