BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

38 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

90% of transfer links are complete nonsense and are just agents putting their clients name out there to try and generate interest. Take this lad Hoffman, we've probably never even heard of him as I doubt that out European scouting network has yet reached the Isle of Wight. But he probably fancies another crack at the Championship so his agent has seen Rovers release Graham so he starts circulating our name with being interested in him, then others clubs knows that he is open to a move. 

I remember back in 2000 when we signed Marcus Bent from Sheffield Utd.

Neil Warnock was manager at Seff Utd and he heard we were interested but he had received nothing official. He had his eye on another striker so he fabricted a story in the local press that an unnamed club had put in a bid for Bent. The next day we put in a real bid for £2 million which was immediately accepted.

Not a bad manager that Warnock fella !!!

Edited by Crimpshrine

Just now, OssyLad said:

Evan and Travis formed a good partnership together he was missed the last few games. In my opinion he’s under-rated Evans 

Sadly it doesn’t really matter how good he is - during the career at Rovers he’s averaged 28 games a season, league and cup. It’s sadly just nowhere near enough. 

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I remember back in 2000 when we signed Marcus Bent from Sheffield Utd.

Neil Warnock was manager at Seff Utd and he heard we were interested but he had received nothing official. He had his eye on another striker so he fabricted a story in the local press that an unnamed club had put in a bid for Bent. The next day we put in a real bid for £2 million which was immediately accepted.

Not a bad manger that Warnock fella !!!

A season when we with Marcus Bent got promoted and Warnock's Sheffield United finished 10th.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Sadly it doesn’t really matter how good he is - during the career at Rovers he’s averaged 28 games a season, league and cup. It’s sadly just nowhere near enough. 

I am amazed it's that high. That said there are a fair number of international games these days. 

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

A season when we with Marcus Bent got promoted and Warnock's Sheffield United finished 10th.

It was an anecdote related to the topic of transfers and a previous post.about false transfer rumours.

You don't need to try and create an argument about everything!

Why don't you Join a debating society? . Today's topic : Owen Coyle is a better manager than Neil Warnock - Discuss.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I do think many of our players are vastly undervalued on this site sometimes, just like Mowbray himself is.

eg Bell is frustrating at times, but not without ability, and he was looking much improved last season until his injury.

eg Williams is an Eire international; that doesn't happen without having ability, and the manager who gave him his debut for them followed by subsequent caps in qualifying matches is one whom many on here would swap Mowbray for in a heartbeat.

eg Evans is a fulcrum of NI's success. He has his limits & has also been frustrating during his tenure, but again is a good quality player at this level and probably played his best football for us last season.

They're players other managers will want. They're not irreplaceable and should be improved upon if we are to have a realistic chance of top 6, but to suggest that we are relegation fodder if we start the season with a back 4 of Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams / Wharton & Bell, with Travis & Evans in front of them, is a bit far fetched IMO.

Evans I would definitely agree with. We statistically pick up more points with him next to Travis than anyone else. Possibly a victim of his injury ravaged, disappointing Rovers career prior, with the ability to recover for international games rubbing salt into the wound.

Bell, I am not sure when this improvement happened. He had a decent game v Bristol City if I recall but it is very much an exception to the rule. Defensively really flimsy, constantly allows crosses to come in and offers nothing from an creative point of view as he should. Cunningham came in for 7 games as a quality left back and we really saw how far away Bell is.

Also, being a Republic of Ireland international is hardly a huge achievement. He is a lower half Championship/top League 1 player who obviously shouldnt be near the team if we want to be near the play offs.

That back 4 is the exact same defence that conceded 63 goals last season, minus Adarabioyo. Relegation is perhaps an exaggeration, although factor in the total rookie of a goalkeeper that those who have suggested that have factored in, and it is hard not to fear the worse. 

Mowbray is a much more complicated one. He has been here for 3 and a half years and is the longest serving manager in the league unless Ainsworth has overtaken him so especially considering a repeated failure to address weaker areas of our side, and a few tactical changes made that didnt really work, people are going to question his ability to take us forward. It is not like he has only just arrived.

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans I would definitely agree with. We statistically pick up more points with him next to Travis than anyone else. Possibly a victim of his injury ravaged, disappointing Rovers career prior, with the ability to recover for international games rubbing salt into the wound.

Bell, I am not sure when this improvement happened. He had a decent game v Bristol City if I recall but it is very much an exception to the rule. Defensively really flimsy, constantly allows crosses to come in and offers nothing from an creative point of view as he should. Cunningham came in for 7 games as a quality left back and we really saw how far away Bell is.

Also, being a Republic of Ireland international is hardly a huge achievement. He is a lower half Championship/top League 1 player who obviously shouldnt be near the team if we want to be near the play offs.

That back 4 is the exact same defence that conceded 63 goals last season, minus Adarabioyo. Relegation is perhaps an exaggeration, although factor in the total rookie of a goalkeeper that those who have suggested that have factored in, and it is hard not to fear the worse. 

Mowbray is a much more complicated one. He has been here for 3 and a half years and is the longest serving manager in the league unless Ainsworth has overtaken him so especially considering a repeated failure to address weaker areas of our side, and a few tactical changes made that didnt really work, people are going to question his ability to take us forward. It is not like he has only just arrived.

I don't rate Williams personally, but that is a ridiculously ignorant statement. Pretty much the entire squad plays in the Premier League. Plus plenty of players over the last 30 plus years would have made the England team, easily. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't rate Williams personally, but that is a ridiculously ignorant statement. Pretty much the entire squad plays in the Premier League. Plus plenty of players over the last 30 plus years would have made the England team, easily. 

30 years ago without doubt, some fantastic players in the Charlton era, plus the Keanes and Duff in more modern times.

Seems to have dropped off this past 10 years though?  Just cyclical or is there something deeper going on with talent coming through?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has only been capped 3 times, and there are players currently in the squad such as Judge, Whelan, Byrne, O'Brien etc playing at a lower standard even than Williams. Obviously I know that there are some decent players like Egan, Doherty etc but beneath that its not the biggest of talent pools so opportunity is there for players playing at the level of a lower Championship standard or even below to get a couple of caps.

Obviously they have had some excellent players in the last 30 years but the likes of Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Duff and Given arent about at this stage.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally agree re Cunningham.

For us to challenge for promotion, Bell & Williams both need to be cover not 1st choice, and Evans needs to find consistency or be replaced by Davenport (or Whiteman sounds promising).

But they're all 3 solid, if unspectacular, players at this level I think.

You could probably say the same of Mowbray. I think he is potentially only 4 good signings away from having a really strong squad. A 1st & 2nd choice keeper,  CB and LB can do it, provided we avoid long term injuries such as those that happened to Dack & Cunningham and which can't really be legislated for. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has only been capped 3 times, and there are players currently in the squad such as Judge, Whelan, Byrne, O'Brien etc playing at a lower standard even than Williams. Obviously I know that there are some decent players like Egan, Doherty etc but beneath that its not the biggest of talent pools so opportunity is there for players playing at the level of a lower Championship standard or even below to get a couple of caps.

Obviously they have had some excellent players in the last 30 years but the likes of Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Duff and Given arent about at this stage.

To say it "isn't an achievement" is ignorant. It's an achievement for those who get capped by San Marino or Gibraltar. What's your biggest achievement? 

You left out McGrath, Finnan , Houghton , Whelan, Lawrenson etc etc 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

To say it "isn't an achievement" is ignorant. It's an achievement for those who get capped by San Marino or Gibraltar. What's your biggest achievement? 

You left out McGrath, Finnan , Houghton , Whelan, Lawrenson etc etc 

They're all a bit 20th century. I think we're talking about Williams and the team at the moment.

• Like 1