BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

On 16/08/2020 at 20:59, Mattyblue said:

30 years ago without doubt, some fantastic players in the Charlton era, plus the Keanes and Duff in more modern times.

Seems to have dropped off this past 10 years though?  Just cyclical or is there something deeper going on with talent coming through?

Kids playing too much Playstation :) 

Ah no, I think it's more difficult for Irish players to break through in England with so many other nationalities now involved and being scouted under age.

Parrott, Connoly and Obafemi are exciting strikers at various stages of breaking into Premier league clubs and Idah for Norwich looks promising. Malumby who was on loan at Milwall last season also looks decent. Going to be hard to find another Keane or Duff though, that's for sure. 

The LOI is striving to improve, so that might encourage some to stay, but it's always going to be difficult though as beyond a loyal group of supporters , most clubs struggle to generate income. By and large we all exclusively support English clubs. Heard the other day Byrne is on around €5000 a week with Shamrock rovers though, which isn't bad. I was surprised to hear he was on that much. Perhaps the salary caps at League 1 and 2 level might encourage more to stay. For all the players who go over to England for trials, only a tiny percentage make it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'm struggling to think how.

Whilst I agree with this one thing the Mulgrew fiasco showed us when he went to Wigan is that no player is even worse than the worst of dross. 

Right now despite getting rid of a pair of the  worst keepers ever to grace this club we somehow are in a worse situation because we haven't got anyone.  

Less than a month to go. We are hugely down on standing still much less improving, and that's before we consider the dross in the squad we would want to shift too. 

30 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I like the look of Idah, I think he has a lot of potential and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bag 20 next season at this level.

Will be interesting to see. Big lad, but quick with it and looks to have a finish in him. Only 19 though, so time will tell if he can do it this season. Suits him that they were relegated anyway. More chance of him playing. 

Similar height to Brereton, but when I look at the 2 of them, Idah is definitely more athletic. Plus more likely to score goals you would have to say....

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Because he is a good goalkeeper, free and we are yet to sign a goalkeeper.

Much prefer him than say Muric on loan or any of the other goalkeepers we been linked with 

Agree, Marshall is a good solid championship keeper. I would bite your arm off for him rite now. This keeper situation is diabolical atm and the biggest black mark on TMs reign at rovers to date 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Much prefer him than say Muric on loan or any of the other goalkeepers we been linked with 

Yep. Ticks just about every box a club our position has to tick.

Knows this level inside out, back to front, upside down. Been at the top and bottom end of it. Could come in at relatively short notice and get on with the job of being number 1 with only a few weeks to go.

Presumably we can pay him what Wigan are so if finances are an issue in signing someone from Wigan then what's the point in Venkys?

But we all know deep down it won't happen. 

For one reason or another the only way the GK situation will be resolved is either through promotion from within or by loaning someone on the cheap.

I will be astonished if we pay a fee for a goalkeeper this summer and will be amazed if we issue a permanent contract on one.

The rest is just bullsh1t just like rumours of Joe Hart and Karl Darlow last season. I don't know what they are playing at but most of us are wise to their antics by now. It will be someone with only a handful of games under their belt on a favourable deal heavily subsidised by the parent club.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Marshall managed 10 clean sheets in his last 13 games for Wigan

Walton manage 1 in his last 13 for us.

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Very true. Look at the GK situation. We knew at the start of last season that we would need at least one new GK to start this season - probably two.

More than 12 months later here we are scrabbling about in the bargin bins because we didn't prepare for a situation we knew was coming.

It gets me down.

It's pathetic it really is there is no planning at all they just grabbed the 3 mill for Raya because they'd all fallen out. Chucked that at Gallagher then re-signed the Canadian for a year.

All that because it's the easiest thing to do nothing more nothing less. They know the 2 they signed they'll know the agents so it is just easy street. Then the same agent offers Walton, his refs for a season at Wigan check out ok so yeah grab him for a year.

Low risk, no hassle, no planning easy street just plod on.

Sick of it now they need an absolute rocket up them down there.

• Like 7

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12051723/jude-bellingham-and-jadon-sancho-impress-in-youthful-borussia-dortmund-pre-season

Bellingham straight in for Dortmund. 17 years old. What are the bets he starts their first game? Yet Mowbray thinks Lewis Holtby needs weeks to settle , a former German international. He really is a moron about certain things. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's pathetic it really is there is no planning at all they just grabbed the 3 mill for Raya because they'd all fallen out. Chucked that at Gallagher then re-signed the Canadian for a year.

All that because it's the easiest thing to do nothing more nothing less. They know the 2 they signed they'll know the agents so it is just easy street. Then the same agent offers Walton, his refs for a season at Wigan check out ok so yeah grab him for a year.

Low risk, no hassle, no planning easy street just plod on.

Sick of it now they need an absolute rocket up them down there.

Yep looks like you are spot on with this.

The Raya one will have been unforseen. They likely didn't expect serious interest in him and when Brentford came along offering multi millions they probably thought Christmas had come early.

A chance to rake in a few quid. Essentially that money covered the initial payment on Gallagher avoiding the need for Venkys to fund a transfer pot.Mowbray had long wanted him back after presumably getting on with him in 2017 and him being a nice lad to work with.

Deal with the GK issue by giving Leutwiler another deal which he happily accepted to be number 2 on cheap wages. Find someone on a subsidised loan deal and along comes Walton.

Now in a mess not because of Covid but because of the short-sightedness of last summer trying to get by on the cheap and easy. No prizes for corner cutters in this game.

It wouldn't have happened anywhere else because a chairman, owner or sporting director would have kept an eye on it. But here we have owners who don't know what day it is and Mowbray's mates who think he is Guardiola and when he says jump they ask him how high.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Imagine if Bellingham had started here under Mowbray.

He would have been playing for Barrow until he was 22.

Extreme, but more like he would have had to play out of position , although it seems he can play anywhere, but Mowbray surely would have tested that to the limit. Of course this would be after he has told the media that he needs to watch Corry Evans and learn how to play midfield and Elliot Bennett so he knows how to do a good fist pump and play right-back.  Would he have gotten a move to Dortmund? Unlikely, although he looks a real talent. 

The sun now saying that Marshall joining Derby picking up his 12k a week wages.

We sit here with no goalkeeper and are waiting around to see if Downing will sign a new contract.

I am a fan of Downing and think he was worth another year but only if we sorted out other priorities in the squad first.

The offer to him should have been withdrawn if we can't afford the 12k a week it would have taken to sign an experienced goalkeeper in Marshall

• Like 5

Just now, islander200 said:

We sit here with no goalkeeper and are waiting around to see if Downing will sign a new contract.

I am a fan of Downing and think he was worth another year but only if we sorted out other priorities in the squad first.

The offer to him should have been withdrawn if we can't afford the 12k a week it would have taken to sign an experienced goalkeeper in Marshall

Ya but is Marshall a nice/good lad though and can he fist pump? You need to consider these things. 

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12051723/jude-bellingham-and-jadon-sancho-impress-in-youthful-borussia-dortmund-pre-season

Bellingham straight in for Dortmund. 17 years old. What are the bets he starts their first game? Yet Mowbray thinks Lewis Holtby needs weeks to settle , a former German international. He really is a moron about certain  most things. Corrected for you.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe it's not that we couldn't afford 12k wages but instead we just weren't interested? We don't have to want every goalkeeper that's available. No matter how good Marshall may be, he's not the solution to an ongoing issue at GK that we have had for a while now. We need someone younger than him that we can keep for longer than a season in my opinion

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

We are p1ssing about too much with Downing.

Conversation should have been 'there's our offer, give us your decision in no more than a week'.  He either wants to play for us or he doesn't.  Feck him off and move on.

If he doesn't sign that'll be the one million left in the pot Mowbray will pretend he's going to spend in January.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

It’s pretty gut wrenching if we weren’t even in for Marshall and he goes elsewhere. Exactly what we need. I’m not confident we will find a more suitable keeper for this level....

• Like 4

Just now, Ruaney said:

Maybe it's not that we couldn't afford 12k wages but instead we just weren't interested? We don't have to want every goalkeeper that's available. No matter how good Marshall may be, he's not the solution to an ongoing issue at GK that we have had for a while now. We need someone younger than him that we can keep for longer than a season in my opinion

And yet Derby, who have promotion as their aim disagree with you.

We need experience and quickly. This idea that we have an indefinite amount of time to slowly build for promotion is a fallacy. There is a three year FFP cycle. Miss your chance and you have to start again.

Experience in our goalkeeper department is a must. We don’t have any - on or off the field.

• Like 1