BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And yet Derby, who have promotion as their aim disagree with you.

We need experience and quickly. This idea that we have an indefinite amount of time to slowly build for promotion is a fallacy. There is a three year FFP cycle. Miss your chance and you have to start again.

Experience in our goalkeeper department is a must. We don’t have any - on or off the field.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting he isn't a good goalkeeper because he is. But, unlike derby we don't have 12k a week to be spending on an ageing keeper when I think we could get someone like Phillips for the same if not less. I am also not naive enough to believe we will spend 800K on Phillips either. But if we can get someone in who does have experience but isn't 35, then i'd be happier with that. Who that is, I am not sure but I am not too upset it's not Marshall. There HAS to be better out there

Just now, Ruaney said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting he isn't a good goalkeeper because he is. But, unlike derby we don't have 12k a week to be spending on an ageing keeper when I think we could get someone like Phillips for the same if not less. I am also not naive enough to believe we will spend 800K on Phillips either. But if we can get someone in who does have experience but isn't 35, then i'd be happier with that. Who that is, I am not sure but I am not too upset it's not Marshall. There HAS to be better out there

He is experienced and on a free transfer. I am not sure there is that much better out there. We will end up with a 20 year old 4th choice premier league reserve for the season, with his mistakes costing us a play off shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Ruaney said:

We would surely have been paying Downing a one-year contract of similar value if not more.

Marshall on £12 k per week on a 12 month deal. Low risk. We know he is good enough and will be able to come in and pick things up quickly.

Then next May review and give him another year if happy.

What's the difference between giving an older keeper a 12 month deal and review next summer and giving a kid a 12 month loan? Next summer we might need someone else but at least we don't have to nurture someone else's player still learning the job and making errors.

If we are going to sign a good young keeper on a 4 or 5 year contract to establish himself as a top keeper fine. I look forward to it.

We ain't paying for anyone and ain't offering 4-5 year contracts though. So it becomes about here and now not nonsense about tomorrow or years from now.

Just now, Ruaney said:

How do you know we dont have 12k a week? We just lost Tosin, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart, Walton and possibly Downing, pretty sure we can stump up some average Championship wages out of that lot. 

Marshall on a fee is a no-brainer. He could go on for two or three years yet and is one of the most experienced keepers in the league. We may have been in for him and the lad chose Derby but I bet we werent.

There IS better out there but we wont get better than Marshall, id wager on it.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The sun now saying that Marshall joining Derby picking up his 12k a week wages.

We sit here with no goalkeeper and are waiting around to see if Downing will sign a new contract.

I am a fan of Downing and think he was worth another year but only if we sorted out other priorities in the squad first.

The offer to him should have been withdrawn if we can't afford the 12k a week it would have taken to sign an experienced goalkeeper in Marshall

In addition to the wages won't there be a signing on fee and agent's fees as well ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

In addition to the wages won't there be a signing on fee and agent's fees as well ?

There will be the same for Downing as well. Withdrawing offer for Downing and making a offer for Marshall seems to be what most sensible clubs would have done.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We would surely have been paying Downing a one-year contract of similar value if not more.

I'd tell Downing to do one at this point though. He's missing out on valuable pre-season work at the moment.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Marshall on £12 k per week on a 12 month deal. Low risk. We know he is good enough and will be able to come in and pick things up quickly.

Then next May review and give him another year if happy.

What's the difference between giving an older keeper a 12 month deal and review next summer and giving a kid a 12 month loan? Next summer we might need someone else but at least we don't have to nurture someone else's player still learning the job and making errors.

If we are going to sign a good young keeper on a 4 or 5 year contract to establish himself as a top keeper fine. I look forward to it.

We ain't paying for anyone and ain't offering 4-5 year contracts though. So it becomes about here and now not nonsense about tomorrow or years from now.

Well, this is it. I would hope we would get someone decent on a long contract but as we all know, that is unlikely to happen. I was just saying I would rather this than an ageing Marshall. 

7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

How do you know we dont have 12k a week? We just lost Tosin, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart, Walton and possibly Downing, pretty sure we can stump up some average Championship wages out of that lot. 

Marshall on a fee is a no-brainer. He could go on for two or three years yet and is one of the most experienced keepers in the league. We may have been in for him and the lad chose Derby but I bet we werent.

I don't know that but I can make an assumption that Venkys won't pay out for an ageing goalkeeper. That's just my opinion based on the lack of money invested in that position in recent times

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Think we are brassic and the funding seems to be drying up.

From 25 Jul 2018 to 5 Aug 2019 there were 4 allotment of shares by VLL totalling £22.5 million.  Since, there have been 2 allotment of shares by VLL totalling £9.3 million.

I think we need to adopt the emergency landing position.

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Think we are brassic and the funding seems to be drying up.

From 25 Jul 2018 to 5 Aug 2019 there were 4 allotment of shares by VLL totalling £22.5 million.  Since, there have been 2 allotment of shares by VLL totalling £9.3 million.

I think we need to adopt the emergency landing position.

Possibly worse than that, a normal season and we would have had £3m of season ticket income, £0.5m replica shirt income and £2.5m sponsor income and £1m corporate box income.

None of that will have arrived for the start of the season as we would normally expect. Not having some sort of season ticket package available is criminal in our position. For cashflow forecasting it must be a nightmare at the moment.

The worst case scenario is that Venkys will have to fund everything for the season, or around £30m as there will be £0 turnover coming into the business, before we get to transfers etc.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, phili said:

Possibly worse than that, a normal season and we would have had £3m of season ticket income, £0.5m replica shirt income and £2.5m sponsor income and £1m corporate box income.

None of that will have arrived for the start of the season as we would normally expect. Not having some sort of season ticket package available is criminal in our position. For cashflow forecasting it must be a nightmare at the moment.

The worst case scenario is that Venkys will have to fund everything for the season, or around £30m as there will be £0 turnover coming into the business, before we get to transfers etc.

Nobody here will buy one or so the excuse goes.

Meanwhile 4th division Bolton had sold 1000 within 3 hours of sale yesterday and today people are complaining because they can't get through on the phone such are the queues.

Excuse after excuse down at Ewood.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phili said:

If you think you will have to give a large chunk of the season ticket money back how can you spend it ?

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Nobody here will buy one or so the excuse goes.

Meanwhile 4th division Bolton had sold 1000 within 3 hours of sale yesterday and today people are complaining because they can't get through on the phone such are the queues.

Excuse after excuse down at Ewood.

I think you are right.

IMO, Ewood Park is a pressure free zone with too many far too comfortable and drawing big bucks, led by Mowbray and Waggott.

I think rockets up arses badly needed.

Sadly, IMO, our football club is dying on its feet. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phili said:

I can't see venkys a) wanting to fund us or b) having the cashflow to be able to fund us. If Venkys really aren't going to fund the August payroll, the first firm clue would be not putting money through next week. Quite why Venkys would want to spin it out that long, I don't know. Venkys own 28 foreign companies and I doubt the future is particularly rosy for any.

Edited by Richard Oakley

Agree with some of the stuff about Marshalls wages etc. However how much loan fee did we pay for Walton ?

How much for Tosin, how much for a loan keeper this time ?

They are still throwing money down the pan. So another short term loan then another next season how much is that compared to getting a few years out of someone like Marshall ?

Our penny pinching is proven time and again to cost more in the long run. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think you are right.

IMO, Ewood Park is a pressure free zone with too many far too comfortable and drawing big bucks, led by Mowbray and Waggott.

I think rockets up arses badly needed.

Sadly, IMO, our football club is dying on its feet. 

Your posts should end with the EastEnders drum intro.?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Agree with some of the stuff about Marshalls wages etc. However how much loan fee did we pay for Walton ?

How much for Tosin, how much for a loan keeper this time ?

They are still throwing money down the pan. So another short term loan then another next season how much is that compared to getting a few years out of someone like Marshall ?

Our penny pinching is proven time and again to cost more in the long run. 

If one of the likes of Fisher/Hilton/Eastham come good then they don't have to worry about offloading Marshall.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Marshall would have been a great addition, mentioned his name about 100 pages ago. We're really playing this season with The Fish in net aren't we? :( 

Would that be Billy the Fish from Viz? Great keeper - suit the Rovers perfectly as he doesn't actually exist.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If you think you will have to give a large chunk of the season ticket money back how can you spend it ?

You wouldnt have to if you were transparent from the start and stated that worst case scenario, that payment would secure a season ticket for the following season.

• Like 1