BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Think Derby might find themselves in the same position as Sheffield Wed with a 12 points or maybe more deduction! If sompromotion is a non starter for next season

It’s crazy really, this season just gone was a “weak” league with not many teams you’d be scared of playing apart from that Leeds side. And this coming season I don’t particularly think the standard of teams has increased much, what I mean is never has there been a better chance to challenge for promotion and the wheels just seem to have come off for us completely, cashless and hopeless it seems. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If one of the likes of Fisher/Hilton/Eastham come good then they don't have to worry about offloading Marshall.

You mean an outright gamble hoping one these lads hacks it at the expense of throwing the season down the pan if it doesn't ? Hopefully at least one will in the long run but that's the long run and we do a lot of hoping at this club and not much cast iron 'doing'.

Great management idea....

How about getting in a proper keeper as insurance ?  Or is that far too normal for our lot ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You mean an outright gamble hoping one these lads hacks it at the expense of throwing the season down the pan if it doesn't ? Hopefully at least one will in the long run but that's the long run and we do a lot of hoping at this club and not much cast iron 'doing'.

Great management idea....

How about getting in a proper keeper as insurance ?  Or is that far too normal for our lot ?

I suspect somebody will come in eventually - although it may well be on loan rather than as a signing. But the way the owners seem to think they may well consider that saving 3 weeks wages or so shows how clever they are.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I suspect somebody will come in eventually - although it may well be on loan rather than as a signing. But the way the owners seem to think they may well consider that saving 3 weeks wages or so shows how clever they are.

I pray he has enough in the pot to be bold and get a decent loan in iv'e no issue if Fisher is no 2.  Not happy at all its come to this but if that's the way its got to be so be it. We really really need a championship experienced no 1 though imo.

17 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's not every day you see our owners and the word clever mentioned in the same sentence.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems very definitive? Sounds like the offer is very much on the table.

You seem to have now moved from "unsure" to very much of the opinion that you are happy to see him go, now it seems that he might well be off...?

Not good enough is very harsh. Definitely on a reduced role with a reduced wage if at all but still technically very good. Had a very good season even if he was a little off the pace post lockdown.

I liked someone post before my earlier post about this Downing's situation is similar to Rodwell the previous summer. If he wants to sign here he would have done it by now 

I would withdraw the contract now to Downing and used his wages towards making the signings we need at the centre back, left back and 2 keepers. Thats has been the priority 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Marshall on £12 k per week on a 12 month deal. Low risk. We know he is good enough and will be able to come in and pick things up quickly.

Then next May review and give him another year if happy.

He off to Derby now. 

If we only offer a 12 months contract won't we be in the same position as this summer as 12 months deal is similar to a loan deal in reality

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Roughly translated into "I dont have a clue and my last 3 names (Hart, McLaughin and Iversen) were way off so I dont want to embarass myself again by naming anyone. "

Have you listen Rich Sharpe's comments about Budget including wages, the players market we looking at which seems to the overseas market on today Rovers Chat YouTube video? 

He mention Iversen and the fact that Leicester wanted his full 15k wages paying which would put him at top end of our wage bill. He also mention that Rovers thought they had their 2 overseas keepers set to come in. He also mention that Mowbray might have to bite the bullet and realised that he not going to be able the same quality ball playing defender as Adarabioyo and adapt the way he might want to play. And just bring in a solid centre defender like Lindsay for example.  

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I liked someone post before my earlier post about this Downing's situation is similar to Rodwell the previous summer. If he wants to sign here he would have done it by now 

I would withdraw the contract now to Downing and used his wages towards making the signings we need at the centre back, left back and 2 keepers. Thats has been the priority 

He off to Derby now. 

If we only offer a 12 months contract won't we be in the same position as this summer as 12 months deal is similar to a loan deal in reality

Yes, apart from we actually get a proven quality Championship keeper who can hit the ground running rather than a youngster learning his trade on the job ultimately for someone else's benefit 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He off to Derby now. 

Have you listen Rich Sharpe's comments about Budget including wages, the players market we looking at which seems to the overseas market on today Rovers Chat YouTube video? 

He mention Iversen and the fact that Leicester wanted his full 15k wages paying which would put him at top end of our wage bill. He also mention that Rovers thought they had their 2 overseas keepers set to come in. He also mention that Mowbray might have to bite the bullet and realised that he not going to be able the same quality ball playing defender as Adarabioyo and adapt the way he might want to play. And just bring in a solid centre defender like Lindsay for example.  

I was more pointing out your tendency to base your "opinions" around what actually happens, without committing to an opinion until then, or what you suspect that Mowbray will do.

With Downing, only a week or two ago, you refused to commit either way on the future of Downing. Now there has been an article with an element of doubt, you are very much behind him not being here next season. Because you wouldn't re sign him? Or more likely, because you dont think he will be here.

Your point on Marshall has an element of logic to it, you dont want a short term goalkeeper. The inconsistency lies when 2 players in Muric and Iversen who we were linked with, you repeatedly argued the toss over why they wouldnt necessarily be poor signings. Difference being, they would DEFINITELY be short term signings (Marshall would be unlikely to sign for one year but even if he did) but they havent proven themselves, Muric has had one very brief unsuccessful loan spell in a minuscule senior career, the other has only played in League 1. Surely if you are going to pick one out of them 3 as a "short term fix" youd pick the one who had an excellent season at this level last season, who has proven his competence and who also has experience? Or are you just basing your wants on who we are linked with/who you think we will sign? Surely if we can only get a short term fix, we should get one who was a very good Championship keeper this season just gone, rather than gambling on a young kid on loan?

I said a few days ago that I think that it would be very difficult to sign a centre back of the standard we need on a limited budget needed to cover numerous positions who can also step out from the back. And stated that the most important thing is getting that goals against column down. You shot me down, said that the 2 arent mutually exclusive and said that we need someone who can play out from the back. Are you, on the back of the local journalist suggesting that this may not be possible, now compromising on that opinion a mere few days later?

Regarding Lindsay individually, I thought he was fairly decent on the ball anyway? And based on his short and error riddled Stoke career, "solid" isnt a word you could use to describe him.

And regarding Nixon, who you are a bit of a lone ranger desperate to defend, he said we are interested in Iversen and within 48 hours, he was being unveiled by a Belgian club. His information was at best, massively out of date. The other 2, Hart and McLaughlin, Mowbray laughed both off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes, apart from we actually get a proven quality Championship keeper who can hit the ground running rather than a youngster learning his trade on the job ultimately for someone else's benefit 

true but the terms of the deal you suggested would effectively just be for a season. 

I would prefer someone for couple of seasons at least as number 1. 

Just now, hakkinen said:

What's John Ruddy up to these days? Bench man at Wolves? An option for us surely. 

His wages would be well out of reach sadly. Probably on 30k a week there at least if not more in my opinion. 

We probably look at spending around 10k a week tops on a 1st choice keeper. Thats why we should be looking at the foreign market where the value is. Someone like Kevin Muller at FC Heidenheim, Heinz Lindner who is a free agent or Vaclav Hladky who is a free agent after leaving St Mirren this summer

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

true but the terms of the deal you suggested would effectively just be for a season. 

I would prefer someone for couple of seasons at least as number 1. 

His wages would be well out of reach sadly. Probably on 30k a week there at least if not more in my opinion. 

We probably look at spending around 10k a week tops on a 1st choice keeper. Thats why we should be looking at the foreign market where the value is. Someone like Kevin Muller at FC Heidenheim, Heinz Lindner who is a free agent or Vaclav Hladky who is a free agent after leaving St Mirren this summer

Would Muric fail your criteria (only here for one season) and thus be someone you no longer would like to see here?

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

With Downing, only a week or two ago, you refused to commit either way on the future of Downing. Now there has been an article with an element of doubt, you are very much behind him not being here next season. Because you wouldn't re sign him? Or more likely, because you dont think he will be here.

I don't think he will be here. A similar situation to Rodwell last summer. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

our point on Marshall has an element of logic to it, you dont want a short term goalkeeper. The inconsistency lies when 2 players in Muric and Iversen who we were linked with, you repeatedly argued the toss over why they wouldnt necessarily be poor signings.

and you thought Johnson would be good signing and Downing would be poor signing based on few Boro fans opinion. 

I said a few days ago that I think that it would be very difficult to sign a centre back of the standard we need on a limited budget needed to cover numerous positions who can also step out from the back. And stated that the most important thing is getting that goals against column down. You shot me down, said that the 2 arent mutually exclusive and said that we need someone who can play out from the back. Are you, on the back of the local journalist suggesting that this may not be possible, now compromising on that opinion a mere few days later?

Mowbray wants a ball playing centre back. I gave you 3 players who could play that role. They might not be as good as Adarabioyo but can play it. 

No I said that Mowbray might have to adapt his style and tactics if he cant find that player. Thats my point. 

Regarding Lindsay individually, I thought he was fairly decent on the ball anyway? And based on his short and error riddled Stoke career, "solid" isnt a word you could use to describe him.

You based your opinion on other fans opinions like always and learnt nothing from last summer when you based your opinion on a few Boro fans who wrote Downing off and WBA fans who wrote Adarabioyo off but never played his proper position long term there. You never learned. Lindsay isn't his peak but someone the club has been scouting and looking at for a couple of seasons. We scouted him in league 1 and we should have signed him last summer. 

And regarding Nixon, who you are a bit of a lone ranger desperate to defend, he said we are interested in Iversen and within 48 hours, he was being unveiled by a Belgian club. His information was at best, massively out of date

Not defending the Nixon info cos I had the info earlier that week. Yes he went to Belgium club owned by the CURRENT Leicester City owner. A transfer thats would have taken minutes to do. 

Would Muric fail your criteria (only here for one season) and thus be someone you no longer would like to see here?

I never said I wanted him here, I just discussed the player and his ability. Something you can't different between 

Edited by chaddyrovers

I don't think he will be here. A similar situation to Rodwell last summer. 

and you thought Johnson would be good signing and Downing would be poor signing based on few Boro fans opinion. 

Mowbray wants a ball playing centre back. I gave you 3 players who could play that role. They might not be as good as Adarabioyo but can play it. 

No I said that Mowbray might have to adapt his style and tactics if he cant find that player. Thats my point. 

You based your opinion on other fans opinions like always and learnt nothing from last summer when you based your opinion on a few Boro fans who wrote Downing off and WBA fans who wrote Adarabioyo off but never played his proper position long term there. You never learned. Lindsay isn't his peak but someone the club has been scouting and looking at for a couple of seasons. We scouted him in league 1 and we should have signed him last summer. 

Not defending the Nixon info cos I had the info earlier that week. Yes he went to Belgium club owned by the CURRENT Leicester City owner. A transfer thats would have taken minutes to do. 

I never said I wanted him here, I just discussed the player and his ability. Something you can't different between 

My point is well summed up. Last week, Downings future was up in the air, we didnt know. You when quizzed wouldnt commit to whether you wanted him to stay or go. Now since it was reported today that he hasnt joined for pre season and doubts were expressed about his future, you have now decided that you would be happy to see him go.

I presume you also thought that Johnson would be a good signing, and I also remember you not particularly being happy with the Downing signing. When a player signs or indeed is linked, it is natural to look at how they have previously done in their career, especially at their current club. It doesnt mean that it will 100% follow the same path, nor does it mean that people are wrong to highlight it. There can be varying reasons, whether they be tactical, physical, age based, positional changes, sometimes a face fits somewhere and doesnt somewhere else.

Johnson had just come off a season in which he played regularly for the play off finalists and they seemed fairly sorry to see him go. A proven Championship performer in his early 30s. On the face of it, a good signing surely? No, he has struggled with a different style of play, he is as bad as ive seen in terms of a midfielder taking the ball off the back 4 on the half turn. Throw in fitness issues not helped by a long commute. 2 big reasons we may not have anticipated. Conversely, Downing was 3 years older, struggling at Forest, his contribution statistically had really dried up. All valid doubts to have. The tactical change that hindered Johnson seemed to suit Downing, as did the positional change to play him central more often. Maybe being taken away from the glare of the demanding Boro fans who had seen him break through over 10 years ago as a pacy winger helped him. The manager seemed to trust him more than Pulis, and also there were no contractual issues. Take Adarabioyo as a third example. He had only ever had one season in professional football, and West Brom fans didnt rate him at all. The main change has been that he has played in his natural position. Again, he has also suited tactically playing for us. That doesnt mean that people were wrong to doubt whether loaning in a player who had only ever had one professional season, that he had struggled, to be the fix to our leaky defence. We had no proof to suggest that he would turn out how he would turn out.

Take Lindsay, I would be concerned if we signed a player who has had such a poor solitary season in the Championship, who Stoke (finished below us) are happy to see go, and who was very much secondary to Pinnock in League 1. Does that mean that I would be 100% sure that he would be a failure here if he signed? Of course not. But on the contrary, why are you so sure that he would be a good signing, to the point that you regret us not signing him last season, even factoring in with hindsight the poor season that has followed?

So I am guessing that you wouldnt want Muric on loan and would be disappointed if he was our number 1 next year?

All I would encourage you to do is have faith in your own opinions. If we arent interested in a player ot a type of player but you are disappointed that we miss out on him, say so. If we sign someone that you do not agree with, say as such. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hakkinen said:

What's John Ruddy up to these days? Bench man at Wolves? An option for us surely. 

You joking? This club won’t get anyone of that Calibre these days, and yes I mean that calibre, not great, second rate at best, I know. Our best hope these days is young lads from the lower division who think along the lines of “oh wow yeh, Blackburn they won the league in 95, massive, ill defo sign for them”.

Established players won’t come to this shithouse.

Edited by AAK

Holger Badstuber has just been told by Stuttgart that he is free to leave. 31 years old, had injuries but now seems fit. Centre back, but can also play left back or even defensive midfield. Very experienced with Bayern and Germany. Wouldn't be a bad choice

• Like 1