BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Hannoverover said:

Holger Badstuber has just been told by Stuttgart that he is free to leave. 31 years old, had injuries but now seems fit. Centre back, but can also play left back or even defensive midfield. Very experienced with Bayern and Germany. Wouldn't be a bad choice

A real shame how injuries have ruined his career. Eight or nine years ago he looked such a good player that at 31 I'd have had him down as a lynchpin of the Bayern team and around 100 caps for Germany.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

He off to Derby now. 

If we only offer a 12 months contract won't we be in the same position as this summer as 12 months deal is similar to a loan deal in reality

Yes but at least he is very experienced and dependable at this level, I'd much rather have him for 12 months than some kid from a prem team being sent down to learn his trade

• Like 1

I wonder if we are at keeper Philipp Kühn from Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2. Kept 9 clean sheets in 28 games. 27 years old and worth 360k on transfermarkt. @JoeH do you have any stats on this keeper?

I have suggestion him based on the number of clean sheets last season and he has the same agent as Lewis Holtby. I've seen a couple of YouTube clips but not enough to form an opinion. 

11 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

The Holtby story is one such.

From the time  a GK, LB and CB were signed on loan, Mowbray's known we needed permanents signings and it reflects badly on him and the club's chances going forward that no action has yet been taken. Of course, we'd all like the players who step up to be more than capable, but there's no guarantee they will be.

I made this point earlier (p. 211). This was the issue last year, and it is the same problem again. 
It just appears the club wants to put a band aid on the same problem every year. It is slipshod, careless, and definitely not planning for the future to go after loaners every year. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I suspect somebody will come in eventually - although it may well be on loan rather than as a signing. But the way the owners seem to think they may well consider that saving 3 weeks wages or so shows how clever they are.

If memory serves me right our record over the first 2 games of the season in Mowbray's 3  full seasons here is

2017/18  LL

2018/19 DD

2019/20  LL

So trying to be "smart" and doing last minute transfer business and not being adequately prepared for the start of the season hasn't served us well so far has it? 

This may not seem like much but come the end of the season if you're four or five points shy of the play offs or one or two points adrift of safety you'll wish you'd been ready for the start of the season.

Mowbray has been in the game long enough to know this isn't the way to go and responsibility to get the team ready from day one of the season lies with him. Stop trying to pin it on the owners.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He also mention that Mowbray might have to bite the bullet and realised that he not going to be able the same quality ball playing defender as Adarabioyo and adapt the way he might want to play. And just bring in a solid centre defender like Lindsay for example.  

Thank fuck.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wonder if we are at keeper Philipp Kühn from Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2. t. @JoeH do you have any stats on this keeper?

If you tap his name in Google.......

You must have gone through his stats with a fine tooth comb before suggesting him...?

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If memory serves me right our record over the first 2 games of the season in Mowbray's 3  full seasons here is

2017/18  LL

2018/19 DD

2019/20  LL

So trying to be "smart" and doing last minute transfer business and not being adequately prepared for the start of the season hasn't served us well so far has it? 

This may not seem like much but come the end of the season if you're four or five points shy of the play offs or one or two points adrift of safety you'll wish you'd been ready for the start of the season.

Mowbray has been in the game long enough to know this isn't the way to go and responsibility to get the team ready from day one of the season lies with him. Stop trying to pin it on the owners.

Or finishing a Season as Champions but then again being Champions is unimportant according to those who know much more about Football and the hopes of Fans than little old me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

2017/18  LL

2018/19 DD

2019/20  LL

It's not just Mowbray, it's every manager ; we have yet to win the opening game of the season under Venky's and have usually made poor starts generally with just the 2 exceptions being Kean in 2012 and Mowbray in 2017(you conveniently stopped after 2 games thereby ignoring the next 4 which were all won). In my view the operating structure at the club with decisions constantly having to be referred back to India makes it very difficult for those at Ewood Park to get things done; I do pin it on the owners.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wonder if we are at keeper Philipp Kühn from Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2. Kept 9 clean sheets in 28 games. 27 years old and worth 360k on transfermarkt. @JoeH do you have any stats on this keeper?

I have suggestion him based on the number of clean sheets last season and he has the same agent as Lewis Holtby. I've seen a couple of YouTube clips but not enough to form an opinion. 

I don't know the player so won't pass judgement, and stats on goalkeepers tell maybe 1/4 of the story. But here's his data vs Walton's from 2019/20.

1205628918_KuhnvsWalton.thumb.png.7f6b8573c4aa5d11a073d40c53f64c98.png

36 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's not just Mowbray, it's every manager ; we have yet to win the opening game of the season under Venky's and have usually made poor starts generally with just the 2 exceptions being Kean in 2012 and Mowbray in 2017(you conveniently stopped after 2 games thereby ignoring the next 4 which were all won). In my view the operating structure at the club with decisions constantly having to be referred back to India makes it very difficult for those at Ewood Park to get things done; I do pin it on the owners.

After at least one window (perhaps two) Mowbray has said he had money left over and he had to rein the owners in which implies to me that he had money during the window but deliberately chose not to spend it. In my opinion he sets a really high bar with regard to signings. It seems more about being the right character than the possibility of improving our team.

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I liked someone post before my earlier post about this Downing's situation is similar to Rodwell the previous summer. If he wants to sign here he would have done it by now 

I would withdraw the contract now to Downing and used his wages towards making the signings we need at the centre back, left back and 2 keepers. Thats has been the priority 

He off to Derby now. 

If we only offer a 12 months contract won't we be in the same position as this summer as 12 months deal is similar to a loan deal in reality

Have you listen Rich Sharpe's comments about Budget including wages, the players market we looking at which seems to the overseas market on today Rovers Chat YouTube video? 

He mention Iversen and the fact that Leicester wanted his full 15k wages paying which would put him at top end of our wage bill. He also mention that Rovers thought they had their 2 overseas keepers set to come in. He also mention that Mowbray might have to bite the bullet and realised that he not going to be able the same quality ball playing defender as Adarabioyo and adapt the way he might want to play. And just bring in a solid centre defender like Lindsay for example.  

Yet when fans said that on here, you advised people ‘Mowbray has his way of playing and we should accept it’....

• Like 9

If Mowbray wants the Downing deal done(which he does) and now that can't be done, there is something definitely afoot and not in a good way. 

Easiest deal of all time to get done. 

I'm starting to get a bit worried to be honest. Missing out on Marshall seems poor now. Living near by probably and ends up having to up sticks and move to Derby. This after we release numerous players in theory freeing up wages. So if that's the case, why can't the simple Downing deal get done at least? 

Mmmm........

I don't usually go this route, but if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...or possibly a chicken in this case, well ye know the rest. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

For those advocating just diving into the season and installing one of the kids between the sticks just think back to the season Bowyer started Raya for 4 or 5 games.  Think back to Jake Kean as well, both of those were highly thought of and neither worked out properly being thrown straight in.

The lads we are talking about now have sod all experience compared to even those two like for like.

It's asking for trouble but clearly shows they are not bothered where this season ends if they take that risk, it's all about the pennies.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

After at least one window (perhaps two) Mowbray has said he had money left over and he had to rein the owners in which implies to me that he had money during the window but deliberately chose not to spend it. In my opinion he sets a really high bar with regard to signings. It seems more about being the right character than the possibility of improving our team.

..and good characters will be easier to manage...

• Like 1

There is very little money to spend.  I have heard that Venky's will continue to fund the club (to meet current liabilities) but they want to reduce overheads as much as they can with money spent on transfers being one of the key cost reduction areas, even if we sell players, some of that money will be used to reduce overheads.  

This has been coming for a few years, there had to come a time when the Venky's made the decision to reduce spending, the hope is that they can transition to this new model of working in a controlled way but I very much doubt that will happen as I have little or no faith in the executive structure at Ewood to be able to successfully manage such a transition.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

There is very little money to spend.  I have heard that Venky's will continue to fund the club (to meet current liabilities) but they want to reduce overheads as much as they can with money spent on transfers being one of the key cost reduction areas, even if we sell players, some of that money will be used to reduce overheads.  

This has been coming for a few years, there had to come a time when the Venky's made the decision to reduce spending, the hope is that they can transition to this new model of working in a controlled way but I very much doubt that will happen as I have little or no faith in the executive structure at Ewood to be able to successfully manage such a transition.

Wow. IF that's true, which of course is a possibility it really puts pay to Mowbrays "slow build" philosophy. Along with the issue of Gallagher and Brereton really coming to the fore. 

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If Mowbray wants the Downing deal done(which he does) and now that can't be done, there is something definitely afoot and not in a good way. 

Easiest deal of all time to get done. 

I'm starting to get a bit worried to be honest. Missing out on Marshall seems poor now. Living near by probably and ends up having to up sticks and move to Derby. This after we release numerous players in theory freeing up wages. So if that's the case, why can't the simple Downing deal get done at least? 

Mmmm........

I don't usually go this route, but if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...or possibly a chicken in this case, well ye know the rest. 

The covid thing is an added issue that the club needs to navigate.  On top of the usual dragging of feet from Pune.  We don't appear to have the smartest management structure in place in the first place for the simpler of times.

I'm guessing things will move - one way or the other when/if funds arrive from India.  As right now, we probably don't have a penny to spend. 

What is strange for me, is the lack of noise from the club.  Nothing from Waggott or TM.  

Usually, on his return from a break, you can't shut Mowbray up.  This time it appears that our resident LT reporter has been finding it hard to speak to TM or SW. 

• Like 2

It was always going to happen anyway they threw in some money up top for Brereton after promotion. Along with an increase in revenue and the squad growing in value that was just about covered anyway.  Gallagher isn't all it seems as the Raya money enabled that one.

So it was like a 3 year plan or something of growing another team to sell off and recoup as much running costs again as possible. All the while building with youth and lower wage signings.

Promotion or a genuine crack at the top 6 has NEVER really been on the agenda outside of just hoping we get a run together at the right time. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see this it's all there in the general attitude of everybody and the approach to games in general. No urgency, plenty complacency and in Mowbray and co they have the perfect people running the show for this.

They seem perfectly happy with the way things are and i think they'll hold firm on sales until next summer when prices might be more normal again unless and good bids come in of course.

After all who would let their manager sell a rated young keeper on the cheap and put that towards a striker. One who he then plays wide and we face a situation of having NO senior keeper 12 months later ???   Just wouldn't happen if they gave the slightest f### !!

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Gallagher and Brereton had better get really good really fast then....

• Like 2