BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did we play Tosin right-back? 

Harsh to say Cunningham wasn't money well spent, you can't guarantee a player won't getting injured. He was a good signing. 

Yes,first game Tosin played for us. I suspect that was why Mulgrew was sent out on loan.

Yes, Cunningham was good signing. His early injury meant we didn't get value out of him, seeing as we were exposed to the shortcomings he was loaned to remove.

16 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Mowbray's transfer wishlist is being depleted in front of his eyes and there is nothing he can do about it with owners completely unwilling to pledge money for transfers or wages even with player departures already taken place.

Dire situation.

To be fair, given the effect of FFP , what did he expect, even pre Covid?

You can't keep spending money on transfers, loan fees and wages like water, and handing out new deals to ageing underperforming players indefinitely with nothing coming back in!

To the extent we're in a mess as regards the squad it's entirely of the manager's own making.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apart from the one off hit, substantial cost savings would be made going forward though.

It knackers your FFP calculation even more though because the expenditure has been advanced.

Then you have to employ others (perhaps fewer & perhaps on lower salaries) to do the work so it's a double-whammy.  
Payback would take a while.

1 hour ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Phili, both you and Blue blood make good points.  Lots of good stuff written there. My take is slightly different though. If I had a budget of 12M I could spread it evenly and stock up with journeymen OR I could take a punt and spend it all on two great prospects and cover the holes with good loan players. Walton turned out to be ordinary but Cunningham and Tosin were stand-outs. We couldn't have bought better. So we ended up with a multiplier effect on the transfer budget.  There's always the thought in the back of your mind that there'll be more funds available for the next season when we can have a look see at what worked and what didn't.

Walton is the one that didn't work. Unfortunately it seems we now have a close to zero transfer budget thus year... who saw that coming?

My belief is, for what it's worth, that without the injuries we would have had a fighting chance of going up with that team. If that had happened we would have had to dismantled the team and build again if we had hopes of staying up. So a sensible call not to spend money on players we would jettison in 12 months.

Bangs per buck!  I think Mowbray did a reasonable job. That said we're in a new world. Gambles backfired and we're in hole, actually several holes.

Onwards and upwards eh.

We all saw the issue coming this summer, hence pre injury Dack was going to be sold to cover the issues.

The problem i have now that FFP has been relaxed (or I believe it has been relaxed, not sure of the confirmation from the EFL yet) is that for the first time since Venky's have been here there is huge value in the transfer market. We need around £6m to fix most of our problems (Phillips, Cunningham, Lindsay, Whiteman and either a loan targetman or free transfer) so it's not like Venky's need to fund a huge transfer splurge.

The problem is probably  a lack of confidence in mounting a playoff push. We had the chance to get in the playoffs this summer and keep Venky's enthusiasm going. We bottled it and went out with a wimper, which pretty much sums up what the ending to Mowbray's time here will be.

18 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Yes,first game Tosin played for us. I suspect that was why Mulgrew was sent out on loan.

Yes, Cunningham was good signing. His early injury meant we didn't get value out of him, seeing as we were exposed to the shortcomings he was loaned to remove.

I would say Tosin was CB. Can't recall us playing him at RB at any point. 

Screenshot_20200819-164946.png

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18661894.brentford-land-whartons-former-defensive-partner-northampton/

No bid made for Goode. We clearly haven't got a very large pot to piss in. 

'Large'? I don't think we have one full stop. This is looking dire.

Cunningham - A known steady left back played at left back = looked a good signing in glimpses for a few games.

Tosin - A tall gangly center half played at center half after circumstances dictated and decent for at least half the games he played.

There's a moral in there somewhere and i think its called horses for courses.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

There is very little money to spend.  I have heard that Venky's will continue to fund the club (to meet current liabilities) but they want to reduce overheads as much as they can with money spent on transfers being one of the key cost reduction areas, even if we sell players, some of that money will be used to reduce overheads.  

This has been coming for a few years, there had to come a time when the Venky's made the decision to reduce spending, the hope is that they can transition to this new model of working in a controlled way but I very much doubt that will happen as I have little or no faith in the executive structure at Ewood to be able to successfully manage such a transition.

No surprise to me.

I've been posting my thoughts, in line with what you say and even more, for a number of weeks now.

Sadly, IMO, the picture is very much darker than the one you paint. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray doesn't know his budget yet. I think that is fairly apparent at this point. 

Think because he hasn't got one!

Posted before, IMO, the bottom line is we need between £15 and £20million from net transfer fees and wage savings.  Seen or heard nothing to suggest otherwise. 

Just now, Mercer said:

Think because he hasn't got one!

Posted before, IMO, the bottom line is we need between £15 and £20million from net transfer fees and wage savings.  Seen or heard nothing to suggest otherwise. 

It seems patently obvious that Dack’s injury left a huge, irreplaceable hole in our finances.

Despite Venkys immense wealth.