BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see anybody buying Dack until they've seen him play a few games. If they do it'll be a bit down now and the rest after so many games.

If his deal ends next june then its rank bad management.   He won't play until late autumn, he's not the most svelte chap so 3 months to get fit and prove himself and then he will be off on a free with a nice signing on fee. Job done

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People have very short memories of Dack.

He is THE best player in the championship. 

Losing Dack would be an absolute travesty he is unbelievable and unplayable and very consistent. 

No club to be taken seriously at this level would want to lose him or base financial plans on selling him.

If it is correct that they were planning on cashing in before his injury it is just another concern as to what the agenda is here.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Come on Tyrone, I normally love reading your contributions but isn't this a little extreme?

Reading the guy's comments there's stuff like:

... there are no easy games in football

... they'll come with a game-plan, they have good individuals and we'll have to take our chances against them

... it's preparation for this season

... seeing it is as an opportunity to blood some young players

There's nothing defeatist there just respect between managers. If the game is tough for us then it's likely to be because we're taking a look at several kids before the season starts to see if they've got what it takes.

Also how many recent losses are down to us not converting our chances? Lots. He's not saying anything we wouldn't.

I'm getting a bit tetchy with the constant Mowbray out stuff. What's he supposed to say that will get a favourable response other than I'm leaving.  The team has holes in it  I contend this is not his fault. He saw the chance to onboard some great young prospects for a lot of money knowing we already have the likes of Dack  Cunningham and Tosin in the team. Not his fault two were then crocked for most of the season. Tosin is a great player that we couldn't afford but Mowbray somehow landed him on loan. I don't see he did a lot wrong. Raya was constantly being pilloried for his errors/distribution. Walton was a reasonable stopgap until this years transfer funds came around to buy a proper keeper.

The world falls off a cliff. The transfer budget disappears. If clubs won't sell we can't buy!

IMO he's making the best of a bad job. Just because he's a decent guy who says respectful things about the opposition doesn't mean he's a surrender monkey.

How do you contend that? 
He got loan players in who have returned to their parents clubs that were temporary measures. He spent £12 Million on two players that haven’t scored enough and now we apparently have no money. 
Who else is to blame for the money he spent and the decisions he alone made in the transfer market?

• Like 2

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Losing Dack would be an absolute travesty he is unbelievable and unplayable and very consistent. 

Not sure he's the best but he's up there with them. Lose any of Travis, Lenihan, AA or Dack and we have severely weakened the team. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

If his deal ends next june then its rank bad management.   He won't play until late autumn, he's not the most svelte chap so 3 months to get fit and prove himself and then he will be off on a free with a nice signing on fee. Job done

It does along with 15 other squad members. There is a one year option on him. 

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It won’t end, rovers have the option to extend by 12 months, which they obviously will.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

They have an option on his deal do they not

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is well summed up. Last week, Downings future was up in the air, we didnt know. You when quizzed wouldnt commit to whether you wanted him to stay or go. Now since it was reported today that he hasnt joined for pre season and doubts were expressed about his future, you have now decided that you would be happy to see him go.

Yes I would be happy cos I don't want to mess around again like we was with Jack Rodwell in the previous summer window when we got no word from him about renewing? If yoi are happy to be messed around again then so be it

If Downing wanted to back here he would have re sign here by now. If he comes now is he just coming back here cos he can't get a better offer someone else or at the clubs in league 1 or championship he thought he might get 

Take Lindsay, I would be concerned if we signed a player who has had such a poor solitary season in the Championship, who Stoke (finished below us) are happy to see go, and who was very much secondary to Pinnock in League 1.

How was Lindsay very much secondary to Pinnock in league 1? 

So I am guessing that you wouldn't want Muric on loan and would be disappointed if he was our number 1 next year?

Muric is clearly a talent keeper otherwise he wouldn't be at Man City and on such a long term contract there would he? But he isn't the experience keeper we need who can play for us for a few seasons with younger keeper under him. 

All I would encourage you to do is have faith in your own opinions. If we arent interested in a player ot a type of player but you are disappointed that we miss out on him, say so. If we sign someone that you do not agree with, say as such. 

I would encourage to stop listening to other fans comments on players who are leaving that club. But you will never learn. But I haven't be disappointed that we miss on most players thats have signed for Championship clubs so far. I am disappointed we missed on Fox or Chester or Grant Hall? Not at all. 

10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Yet when fans said that on here, you advised people ‘Mowbray has his way of playing and we should accept it’....

Yes my point is that if Mowbray still wants a ball player centre back(who is also good defending) then no point signing some one else! 

Thanks @Kamy100 for sharing your info. I see that as we won't be spending any more 7 million pounds on players. But looking to bring through more academy players, cheap low fee players and looking towards the foreign player market where we can players for low fees instead of paying 1.5 million for league 2 centre defender. Surely making the club self sufficient is more of long term target of the owners and cannot be done overnight IMO.   

27 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We are imo one player not adequately replaced in a number of positions away from being in real trouble imo. 

Lenihen goes leaving a back line of Nayambe, Mulgrew Williams and Bell - three of whom aren't good enough. That's a relegation quality defence. 

Travis goes we have a centre mid of Johnson and Evans (assuming both fit!) That's a relegation worthy centre mid. 

Armstrong goes leaving the strikers as Bereton and Gally - won't break double figures between them and is relegation quality strike force. 

IF we have to sell someone imo it is Dack. Between Holtby and Buckley we have some quality and numbers to replace him. For the rest if they go the team looks weaker than that relegated. 

You have taken it a few steps further than what I am saying, if any of the players mentioned above were to leave then they should be replaced, we played with a makeshift team for almost half a season and still managed to get the points, This thread is full of negativity, Whalton has gone is that a big miss? Tosin will be a miss but we still won games without him, Downing done the job for us but can be replaced, We are not that worse off and the youth can be tried and tested during pre season, sorry for my optimism but I have faith in our youth and a few will prevail 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I didn't mate. In light of what Kamy said though I think it adds some credence to the story and cost cutting. My belief is that he will go and Mowbray will get a proportion of that to replace him. The rest will be 'hidden'.

“To replace him”. I assume not like-for-like!

Then again, it could be Lenihan who leaves. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

50 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You say this every year, so I suspect you’ll be right eventually......

I think it's fair to say we have been desperate financially for a big part of the period under the Venky's - they've now tipped in approaching £200million to cover the acquisition and keep the club going given horrendous losses.

As each year passes, our financial position  has got increasingly desperate - just look at the auditors' qualifications in the accounts.

IMO, it was inevitable we would reach an eventual  tipping point.

Who knows what the Raos business  psyche is but I can tell you in decades of experience, operational or otherwise, as an accountant across business, commerce and practice, I have rarely come across anything like it.  I am just surprised it has taken so long to get to what seems a now critical situation.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Even when he did play, I feel like he was often underrated due to the consistent nature of his goalscoring. He would be a huge loss if he left. He often attracted unfair criticism when he went a game or two without scoring just because ultimately he had not lived up to his own high standards. Same with Rhodes, I think people sometimes underappreciate natural goalscorers.

The BEST player in the League though? Very, very difficult if not impossible to justify such a statement.

I also think that doubts are fair regarding his recovery from injury.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I would be happy cos I don't want to mess around again like we was with Jack Rodwell in the previous summer window when we got no word from him about renewing? If yoi are happy to be messed around again then so be it

If Downing wanted to back here he would have re sign here by now. If he comes now is he just coming back here cos he can't get a better offer someone else or at the clubs in league 1 or championship he thought he might get 

How was Lindsay very much secondary to Pinnock in league 1? 

Muric is clearly a talent keeper otherwise he wouldn't be at Man City and on such a long term contract there would he? But he isn't the experience keeper we need who can play for us for a few seasons with younger keeper under him. 

I would encourage to stop listening to other fans comments on players who are leaving that club. But you will never learn. But I haven't be disappointed that we miss on most players thats have signed for Championship clubs so far. I am disappointed we missed on Fox or Chester or Grant Hall? Not at all. 

Regarding Downing, my opinion was that I hoped that he would sign on for another year and I stand by that. It hasnt changed just because he might not sign, nor does having the opinion that it would be a shame to see him go mean that we should wait forever. 

Pinnock was very much the stand out of the 2 and his impressive performances for Brentford compared to Lindsays struggles at Stoke back that up.

And no, if you have no time for other fans opinions then fair enough, just scroll past. I and others consider them a valuable source of information as to a new player in terms of how they are viewed at their previous club, of course not treating them as a sure indicator of what would happen here or an alternative to judging them in a Rovers shirt.

I never necessarily said that I am sad that we missed out on those players. Mowbray now has to go out and get better than those standard Championship defenders. Although I do doubt that he will have the resources nor the ability to find them and get them here.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray's had quite a bit of money to spend compared to every other manager since Kean. The onus is on him to wheel and deal in the way clubs like Brentford do. He's had a relatively easy ride so far in terms of who he's had to sell and who he's been able to bring in. 

It's what decent managers do, Dack, Arma 10/10, the rest pretty much 3/10

• Like 1

I think it's a very dark time for a lot of clubs, especially if they can't get fans back soon. What's your prediction for this summer? I'll be amazed if we don't sell a big asset from the playing staff. 

According to our last football club accounts, wages and operating costs were running at almost £3million per month.

Since March, we've virtually had no income.

VLL made a £4million share issue in June which was probably to keep us afloat.

To stay in business for the rest of the calendar year, I would think we need at least £20million (April to December).

We may see only limited income streams until 2021.

IMO, it would be no surprise to see the sale of at least one, most likely two, of our 'prized assets' just to keep the club in business for the rest of 2020.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Mowbray's had quite a bit of money to spend compared to every other manager since Kean. The onus is on him to wheel and deal in the way clubs like Brentford do. He's had a relatively easy ride so far in terms of who he's had to sell and who he's been able to bring in. 

He's had a very easy ride in that respect so far but that could disappear overnight. His efforts at 'building football clubs' seems to be from within but on the grass it's a hotch potch of signings and selections.

As for the share issues isn't that just an accounting process squaring off the books every now and again whilst they pay the shortfall on bills and wages every month ?

Edited by tomphil

lets be honest,after the virus it was unlikely there would be any money available and thats quite understandable,what is quite infuriating is the fact that there are dozens of potential free transfer bargains and lower league players flying around and it looks like we ar`nt going to bag any of them,i tell you know,mowbray is topping his pension up and thus is content with finishing on the bottom half,it`s unlikely we`ll go down unless there is a massive sale of our best players around the corner,tony and his mates are running a nice,cosy cabal and are answerable to no one,if and when we are allowed back into the ground i think the crowd(whats left of us) will turn viciously this season

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lets be honest,after the virus it was unlikely there would be any money available and thats quite understandable,what is quite infuriating is the fact that there are dozens of potential free transfer bargains and lower league players flying around and it looks like we ar`nt going to bag any of them,i tell you know,mowbray is topping his pension up and thus is content with finishing on the bottom half,it`s unlikely we`ll go down unless there is a massive sale of our best players around the corner,tony and his mates are running a nice,cosy cabal and are answerable to no one,if and when we are allowed back into the ground i think the crowd(whats left of us) will turn viciously this season

What is your source for this detail regarding Tony Mowbray's pension ?

• Like 2

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

What is your source for this detail regarding Tony Mowbray's pension ?

it does`nt take much working out does it????!!!!!!!!he`s living on easy street,surrounded by his friends,why upset the regime trying to get in the playoffs where you may have to make unpopular decisions team and squad wise,it`s not as if venkys are going to be on the phone after every match demanding to know about progress

We've 16 players who need new contracts or 15 walk for free. I can see informal conversations having taken place, but with the uncertainty surrounding our finances nothing will have got done. I can't see how trying to let that many players play for their contracts in the early part of the league season will allow us to get off to a good start. That's assuming the league starts in September and that we are in it.

phili set out the money we've had in since June and what we have to pay out and it doesn’t look like near enough. We’ve lost our main sponsor and got slightly more out of another.

Mowbray’s been insistent and consistent about keeping the squad together. It really looks like the club won’t sell any players or bring in revenue and Venkys won’t put in any money. That’s what it looks like to me.

Kamy, phili and Mercer have all hinted that when an announcement comes it is not going to be pleasant. They have even sugarcoated the hints. However, when it’s to avoid worrying the supporters, there’s no point in worrying; you know that it’s what happens next that matters.

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

it does`nt take much working out does it????!!!!!!!!he`s living on easy street,surrounded by his friends,why upset the regime trying to get in the playoffs where you may have to make unpopular decisions team and squad wise,it`s not as if venkys are going to be on the phone after every match demanding to know about progress

Oh I see. What an absolute rotter he must be to have friends.

• Like 1