BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

The three players we absolutely have to keep are Armstrong, Lenihan and Dack in that order. If one has to go I would go for Dack as we have Holtby, Rothwell and Buckley who can all play that role.

If Armstrong goes we have no decent strikers. If Lenihan goes we have no decent defenders.

Perilous situation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing with Dack is that he has a more proven track record of being able to score regular goals over a longer period.

I would take Armstrong over him any day. Armstrong scores goals out of virtually nothing - probs half his goals last season were like that. Dack is more about the interplay and partnerships. If we're on the back foot the is less likely to produce something.

That said our big hope this season is that we can keep both and get a good partnership out of them. I could see it working with Armstrong up top and Dack in the hole.

Does beg the question though of what to do with Gallagher and Brereton. The obvious answer is to desperately try and sell at least one of them. I think Butterworth and Vale will offer us more.

Anyone who thought Venkys were going to make money available this summer was in dream world. No match day income since March and no prospect of any coming soon. We also don’t know how their businesses have been hit by the virus lockdowns. It’s the way it is. Rubbish but inevitable.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would take Armstrong over him any day. Armstrong scores goals out of virtually nothing - probs half his goals last season were like that. Dack is more about the interplay and partnerships. If we're on the back foot the is less likely to produce something.

That said our big hope this season is that we can keep both and get a good partnership out of them. I could see it working with Armstrong up top and Dack in the hole.

Does beg the question though of what to do with Gallagher and Brereton. The obvious answer is to desperately try and sell at least one of them. I think Butterworth and Vale will offer us more.

The thing is with Dack, he continiously scores poachers goals, thats the bread and butter. I think when he scored v Wigan last season, it ended his biggest run of games here without a goal, only 6. He is scoring out of nothing too.Thats the most sustainable type of goals because they come consistently and even during otherwise unproductive team displays. Rhodes had that knack too. Armstrong has scored more wonder goals, firstly he has to prove this season that he can continue with the impressive numbers that we can guarantee with Dack.

You are right about the pair of them being critical this season if we can keep them. For me, Gallagher and Brereton would be back up to them, only ever played centrally. There is probably only scope for a maximum of one of them on the pitch with Dack and Armstrong fit, with Armstrong (not ideal) put wide.

The thing that is so frustrating is that we now have 2x 15+ attackers in terms of goals. I know that doesnt guarantee a top 6 finish as proven by Bowyers team but if we were managed correctly, now is the chance this season to really push for it before at least one of if not both of them leave. If they dont leave before. You look at all of the teams that finished from 5th down in this league and do any really have 2 goalscorers like that? Bristol City have Wells and Diedhou, maybe they would argue similar. But we have a massive advantage.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's not just Mowbray, it's every manager ; we have yet to win the opening game of the season under Venky's and have usually made poor starts generally with just the 2 exceptions being Kean in 2012 and Mowbray in 2017(you conveniently stopped after 2 games thereby ignoring the next 4 which were all won). In my view the operating structure at the club with decisions constantly having to be referred back to India makes it very difficult for those at Ewood Park to get things done; I do pin it on the owners.

Its the manager and coaches that prepare teams for matchday.

The above just illustrates that the preparation for the early matches was poor.

PPPP-2

The signings we make will determine what my expectations are for the coming season.

I think the weak points in our squad last season were at LB and GK. We got much better results with Cunningham at LB and when Bell actually had a good run of corn as well. We also need someone much better than Walton. Just having those 2 positions sorted would help us push for a play off spot.

Obviously we now don’t have Tosin either, so it would be good to get someone of his quality in, otherwise we are much weaker.

I don’t think we’ll be dragged into a relegation battle without filling those 3 positions, but the more of those 3 positions we fill the higher our likelihood of promotion.

I’m not really worried about our midfield and striker options. The likes of JRC, Holtby, Brereton, Gallagher, Davenport, Rothwell, Chapman, Buckley and Vale need to step up this season and prove they are good enough not just for the Championship but the PL as well.

It’s make or break season for me. If Mowbray can’t get enough out of the above players then someone else needs to be brought in to do it. I wasn’t expecting us to get promoted immediately after promotion from League One, but 2 seasons is enough time to stabilise us and push on.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

So you're saying you like him as a person and appreciate that he stabilised the club, but fully acknowledge that he needs to go?

Not really, I'm very much on the fence. I have doubts that he can continue the slow improvements he has made over the last 3 seasons given our lack of a squad at present. In fact as it stands we look pretty weak and at risk of rapid decline, but it seems fair that he is afforded the opportunity to prove me wrong. Having said that if he were to walk or be sacked tomorrow then I wouldn't be too disappointed. Sorry for my lack of a strong opinion either way. 

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

For what it’s worth, I agree with you.

I think we did miss Dack but I’ve a feeling we’ll miss Adarabioyo more. I also think we do need an experience number one and a centre back minimum.

That said, if (and it’s a big if) Wharton could step up then I think selling Dack for a cut-price £10m and re-invest some of that in a keeper then our Penniless XI (now ‘Net Minus XI’) could have a shot.

But (and it’s a big but) Gallagher and Brereton need to chip in with goals along with Armstrong.

And @Paul Mani if you’re happy I’m happy. ?

?

7 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Anyone who thought Venkys were going to make money available this summer was in dream world. No match day income since March and no prospect of any coming soon. We also don’t know how their businesses have been hit by the virus lockdowns. It’s the way it is. Rubbish but inevitable.

Venkys (our billionaire owners) putting money in was the ONLY income likely to be seen this Summer.

In fact, with every club struggling, it could have been the differentiator for us.

As always their timing is impeccable.

It’s looking instead like we will sell one of our Crown Jewels to fund loans at key positions, goalkeeper and centre back and possibly a striker.

Still, such is the crazy unpredictable world of Venkys (and Mowbray) we could yet chuck another £5m at yet another number 10! Who knows!!

7 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

And yet most other owners of Championship clubs have made money available. Maybe not millions for transfer fees but enough to enable competitive signings to be made and wages committed to.

What's the use in Venkys if we can't even sign a goalkeeper?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“Mowbray feels Rovers are at a rebuilding phase”

No shit Sherlock!

Failure whitewashed and we start again. How many managers would love to be in Mowbray’s privileged position? Never gets the blame, losses covered, accountable only to himself.

The current favourite excuse in the LT comments section is now “you can’t blame Mowbray for Covid-19”. ??‍♂️ 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It also seems borderline fantasy to me that if £11m hadn’t been committed to (not spent yet by a long way), then there would be £11m sat in the bank to buy better players this summer. Whatever cash has already gone on those two either would never have been sent over, or the other payments would have been reduced by the same amount had they not been signed.

The point is if that transfer and wage commitment had been spent more wisely we might have achieved promotion, been in the play-offs or, at the very least, been a far stronger football team.

Instead, IMO, a £20million+ transfer and wage commitment has been spunked up the wall.

That is not fantasy but stone cold reality.

• Like 2

We'll never be near a finished article because collectively they aren't capable of getting anywhere near putting that together finance or no finance.

Post lockdown highlighted that more than anything.

Best job in the Championship they have lurking in the Pune - Blackburn vacuum.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We'll never be near a finished article because collectively they aren't capable of getting anywhere near putting thatt  together finance or no finance.

Post lockdown highlighted that more than anything.

Best job in the Championship they have lurking in the Pune - Blackburn vacuum.

Let's hope we aren't Dyson with danger near the relegation zone come the end of the season. 

• Like 6

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

More shit from Sherlock.

I've given up.

Feckwits and shitheads rule the Club.

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

From article:

'Mowbray feels Rovers are at a rebuilding phase, having said goodbye to five players who were part of their League One promotion-winning campaign'.

So whatever happened to the the evolution and slow build of the last three and a half years!?!?

IMO, it's all feckin cr@p and he's allowed to get away with it - has the penny dropped with our happy clappers yet?

It's the same spiel every summer. 

• Like 6

Looking at venkys businesses they are all trading and recovering across the board. World always needs chicken and eggs plus all the pharmaceutical side of such operations! The losses they have with Rovers are a drop in the ocean! Slipping £20m into the club is not a mammoth task it’s allowing the club to operate properly that seems to be the problem