BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

40 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

And one that applies to every other club that didn’t get promotion and made signings that didn’t work out. Preston made a raft of signings and finished lower than the previous year - better ones would’ve got them in the playoffs. It was ever thus.

Mercer beat me to it with his original response but surely there's a difference between relatively low cost signings who don't quite get you over the line and signings in the £5-£7m price range who completely tank.

For what it's worth, I still have reasonably high hopes for Brereton (albeit probably under a different manager) but Gallagher is a write off imo. And what makes it all the more galling is that we already knew there was no way in the world he was a £5m player from his previous time here!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So the search is to be stepped up.

My god.

12 months after selling our keeper, a month on from waving off our loan and benchwarmer, pre season on Saturday and 3 weeks away from the big kick off and we are stepping up the search.

Coincidence that this has only happened now that Mowbray is back from his holiday and at Brockhall? I think not.

So amateurish its almost unbelievable. Can anything happen without Mowbray running it?

To be fair, there are no new quotes in that article saying anything about 'stepping up their search' just a journo's headline.

Nowt new to get upset about (apart from not having a keeper obviously, but this article is rehashed old news)

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For what it's worth, I still have reasonably high hopes for Brereton (albeit probably under a different manager) but Gallagher is a write off imo. And what makes it all the more galling is that we already knew there was no way in the world he was a £5m player from his previous time here!

I have the opposite opinion on this. Brereton never did anything for Forest. Gallagher scored enough goals playing centrally under Coyle. I'd hazard a guess that all 6 of his goals were scored inside the penalty area,which is where he must play. I do agree that the way Mowbray used him here on loan and still does, he wasn't worth £5m and still isn't..

Edited by Richard Oakley
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Again the relevant word is "defeated". Frank and his players are bottle merchants.

So having narrowly missed out on the play offs they're "bottle merchants" whereas we're doing just fine stagnating in mid table snack bang middle of the road to nowhere?

End of term report for the Board's chief wind up merchant:

"MP is prolific in his output but is running out of ideas and originality.  Must try harder!"

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Again the relevant word is "defeated". Frank and his players are bottle merchants.

The difference is they will be battling Norwich for automatic promotion, have a new stadium, cash in the bank, brilliant scouting and development setup and are already filling the gaps they have in the squad.

We are heading into the season hoping to get 10th and most probably going on a winless streak halfway through the season, giving us all worries about relegation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So having narrowly missed out on the play offs they're "bottle merchants" whereas we're doing just fine stagnating in mid table snack bang middle of the road to nowhere?

"MP is prolific in his output but is running out of ideas and originality.  Must try harder!"

I'd love to know what people would have said about Mowbray if we had blown the opportunity to get promotion in the regular season the way Brentford did followed by a goalkeeper on which millions had been spent presenting the opposition with a gift to lose the play off final.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'd love to know what people would have said about Mowbray if we had blown the opportunity to get promotion in the regular season the way Brentford did followed by a goalkeeper on which millions had been spent presenting the opposition with a gift to lose the play off final.

Probably "wow, we actually spent some money on buying a defensive player and it made us more solid and pushed us closer to promotion"

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well you'll never need to worry about that will you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Notice how he didn't actually answer your question.

He's a wind-up merchant or a club shill. Or both. Choose your poison.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We didn’t have to, because our keeper made plenty of gaffes post lockdown that meant we weren’t in contention. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

More than made up by Armstrong and Dack.

Not until they are sold will we ever know. 

Most of the goals and assists from Dack were made in conjunction with his partnership with Graham. Until Dack starts playing again and forms a partnership with Armstrong we can't say.

Of his signings for fees the only ones we will see a profit from are those two. Is that really acceptable out of around 15 cash buys that he has made? Not for me but I know that your standards are very low.

If Dack and Armstrong make up for Brereton and Gallagher then who makes up for: Samuel, Bell, Whittingham , Paul Downing, Gladwin , Hart, Walton, Chapman, Davenport , bizarre contract extensions and selling Raya on the cheap?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No - because Mowbray won't blow it.

Mowbray has lost in the Championship Final as manager of West Brom. So he has blown it, by your reckoning. Won the division the season after, a feat I tip Brentford to repeat. His Middlesborough sides never made it into the playoffs.

I see nothing to indicate that we will finish high enough to worry about Mowbray blowing it.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’s having a jolly old time, stop feeding!

The good thing about avatars on the site is if I see that a thread is ‘Hot’ and a golden M as seemingly always the last post, I know to steer clear.

I love it too to be honest. Maybe the board can sign up a few more trolls this transfer window to keep us all active

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

"How the frig did Mowbray get us in the play-offs?"

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Let me get this straight. You are criticising Brentford who finished multiple places ahead of us and with a lot more points? 

You are criticising a team for getting in the playoffs which we didn't do at all, and for narrowly missing out on automatic promotion which we were nowhere near?

You are criticising them for bottling it where we fluffed it to get into the playoffs on numerous occasions? 

You are criticising them for buying a keeper who made a couple of mistakes when TM brought in a keeper who dropped clanger after clanger? 

Talk about double standards. 

• Like 3