BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Wonder who the Sky boys will obsess over in the CHampionship now they've given Leeds a help up ?

Derby probably, they fit what the Prem marketing boys require.

Norwich for me. They love Farke and his foreign side, they'll be the ones to beat anyway as they've maintained their dominant Championship side anyway.

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We take him on a free and expect SW to pay a percentage of his wages? On loan, fair enough but on a permanent move?

Have to laugh at “value for money signing”. I hope they include “not getting relegated” and “the opportunity of promotion” in that equation.

With this lot we could be perennially having these same discussions season after season with Venkys “paying the bills”.

We had better hope that we don’t get relegated any time soon because the new salary cap could be the nail in our coffin.

I don't know his contract situ but maybe angling for a pay off and if so the more he got he might consider less wages here for 1st team action ?

Unlikely in this climate i know but tell these lot there's a 35 yr old who was on 33k at Boro last year but he'll come here for a 1 year 20k deal and they'll likey say 'yes' great VFM !!

I think that's how the idiots operate.

i

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Final four fixtures of Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town, Rotherham United and Birmingham City is a decent set to finish on.

Barnsley and Wigan when we were pushing the top 6 were decent games. Still managed to bottle it though. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Final four fixtures of Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town, Rotherham United and Birmingham City is a decent set to finish on.

Looking forward to Brereton's next goal for us in a dead rubber against Birmingham ? 

• Like 3

Those still thinking billionaires are unaffected by the Covid crisis might want to buy today's Racing Post in which Trevor Hemmings has announced that he's selling about 50 of his string of 75 racehorses. He cites his health(he's 85) and the effect that Covid has had on his businesses.

That doesn't sound like good news for Preston fans hoping for an injection of funds to finance transfers.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which horses mouth? When?

Couple of years ago,and no not saying who,but he certainly knew what was going on, he actually said the papers are quoting 15 mil but the top bid was 12 mil which was turned down, obviously he could have been lying but he’d no need to.

When you say  folk are going on about the idea of not selling anyone in last few years except for Raya, it is fact,they haven’t.

This season is so different, this pandemic has changed everything, I know you think it’s an excuse but the economy has nosedived worldwide including India, think Venkys have 20 odd buisness s all over the world, and some of them are probably struggling to survive, so it must be so difficult to say well let’s throw 10 mil into Rovers.

Id love it if they would,but also realistic that we will have to put up with minimum funding and hope things improve.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Those still thinking billionaires are unaffected by the Covid crisis might want to buy today's Racing Post in which Trevor Hemmings has announced that he's selling about 50 of his string of 75 racehorses. He cites his health(he's 85) and the effect that Covid has had on his businesses.

That doesn't sound like good news for Preston fans hoping for an injection of funds to finance transfers.

That's probably nothing more than the effect it's having on his racing stables business itself and will have little bearing on the tight ship he runs at PNE. The club that out performs us simply because they are run better and have better directors and manager !

• Like 4

Just now, unsall said:

Couple of years ago,and no not saying who,but he certainly knew what was going on, he actually said the papers are quoting 15 mil but the top bid was 12 mil which was turned down, obviously he could have been lying but he’d no need to.

When you say  folk are going on about the idea of not selling anyone in last few years except for Raya, it is fact,they haven’t.

This season is so different, this pandemic has changed everything, I know you think it’s an excuse but the economy has nosedived worldwide including India, think Venkys have 20 odd buisness s all over the world, and some of them are probably struggling to survive, so it must be so difficult to say well let’s throw 10 mil into Rovers.

Id love it if they would,but also realistic that we will have to put up with minimum funding and hope things improve.

Good post and see my earlier post about Trevor Hemmings.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

That's probably nothing more than the effect it's having on his racing stables business itself and will have little bearing on the tight ship he runs at PNE. The club that out performs us simply because they are run better and have better directors and manager !

His racing interests are a hobby not a business.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

His racing interests are a hobby not a business.

Well there you go then it's nothing to do with the football side of it and running racing stables is costly and time consuming. I believe he was quite hands on with that so if he's scaling down his hobby then it makes perfect sense. It's likely something that would have happened sooner or later anyway.

Just now, tomphil said:

Well there you go then it's nothing to do with the football side of it and running racing stables is costly and time consuming. I believe he was quite hands on with that so if he's scaling down his hobby then it makes perfect sense. It's likely something that would have happened sooner or later anyway.

I didn't say it was due to the football side of his life - nor has he.My initial comment was made to illustrate the effect that Covid can have on the finances of even the wealthiest which means that those relying on them to continue providing finance may have to learn to be disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He is trying to offload nobend and isn’t funding them!

He only got involved in knobend as an after thought and it suited his Northern Trust property company to do so. They obviously had a few hundred grand a month they wanted to use and the advertising and corporate facilities of a local club fit that.

Should have stuck with Chorley instead and tried to make them into a solid pro club it would have been far more rewarding.

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Plenty if billionaire owners circumvent financial fair play rules - Venkys just don’t care enough 

I'm curious what you have mind? Recently, the 'loophole' has been to sell the ground to a shell corporation owned by the owner (at allegedly inflated values, hence the ongoing case against Derby), which is a clever way to book a one-off profit, although it does then increase ongoing costs due to having to lease your own stadium. I'd be surprised if anyone has advocated selling Ewood Park to Venky's on here without getting pelted with tomatoes, but I may have missed that!

Some scoff that Sheffield Wed wasn't relegated by their recent breach, but if you read the decision, applying it to this upcoming year was part of a bid by the independent panel to ensure fairness/consistency, while still having some bite. Technically, the points deduction should've applied to 2018-19 given the accounts the breach was applicable to, a deduction which wouldn't have relegated SW, while a deduction next year puts them in a decent hole starting next year and it will be consistent with any points deduction for Derby being applied to next year too. The panel ruled applying the judgement as late as August for this year was unfair, with some leeway given for COVID reasons, but this was also a product of EFL incompetence and SW stalling tactics. I suppose we wait on whether SW has any legs in their appeal of course...

SW's case appeared to be hinge on "the EFL incompetently advised us on how to stay within FFP", yet the ultimate ruling was their backdated accounting of the stadium sale would have broken the actual law, which obviously supersedes FFP... (plus SW inexplicably dawdled on pulling off the stadium sale for months after the EFL gave them the go ahead)

My understanding is Venky's already plug a fair amount of commercial revenue into the club. Our commercial revenue was £5.5m in 2018-19, which is actually just below mid-table among Championship clubs, so we already punch above our weight in that regard. Perhaps they can finagle boosting that number further, but enough to have the same financial weight as the £30m+ revenue clubs vs our current £17m turnover...? Bristol City may be a good model here, although their commercial revenue boost is apparently linked to turning Ashton Gate into a major non-matchday events venue, not necessarily Lansdown plugging in 'fake' revenue.

Am I forgetting other ways clubs have been getting around FFP lately? (Honest question!) (Among Championship/non-promoted clubs! The PL and FFP is a whole other issue...)

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

I'm curious what you have mind? Recently, the 'loophole' has been to sell the ground to a shell corporation owned by the owner (at allegedly inflated values, hence the ongoing case against Derby), which is a clever way to book a one-off profit, although it does then increase ongoing costs due to having to lease your own stadium. I'd be surprised if anyone has advocated selling Ewood Park to Venky's on here without getting pelted with tomatoes, but I may have missed that!

Some scoff that Sheffield Wed wasn't relegated by their recent breach, but if you read the decision, applying it to this upcoming year was part of a bid by the independent panel to ensure fairness/consistency, while still having some bite. Technically, the points deduction should've applied to 2018-19 given the accounts the breach was applicable to, a deduction which wouldn't have relegated SW, while a deduction next year puts them in a decent hole starting next year and it will be consistent with any points deduction for Derby being applied to next year too. The panel ruled applying the judgement as late as August for this year was unfair, with some leeway given for COVID reasons, but this was also a product of EFL incompetence and SW stalling tactics. I suppose we wait on whether SW has any legs in their appeal of course...

SW's case appeared to be hinge on "the EFL incompetently advised us on how to stay within FFP", yet the ultimate ruling was their backdated accounting of the stadium sale would have broken the actual law, which obviously supersedes FFP... (plus SW inexplicably dawdled on pulling off the stadium sale for months after the EFL gave them the go ahead)

My understanding is Venky's already plug a fair amount of commercial revenue into the club. Our commercial revenue was £5.5m in 2018-19, which is actually just below mid-table among Championship clubs, so we already punch above our weight in that regard. Perhaps they can finagle boosting that number further, but enough to have the same financial weight as the £30m+ revenue clubs vs our current £17m turnover...? Bristol City may be a good model here, although their commercial revenue boost is apparently linked to turning Ashton Gate into a major non-matchday events venue, not necessarily Lansdown plugging in 'fake' revenue.

Am I forgetting other ways clubs have been getting around FFP lately? (Honest question!) (Among Championship/non-promoted clubs! The PL and FFP is a whole other issue...)

I'm looking at clubs like Bournemouth (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11743/11426730/bournemouth-agree-4-75m-settlement-with-efl-for-breach-of-ffp-rules#:~:text=Bournemouth will pay the EFL,the Premier League as champions.) and Leicester (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43146018#:~:text=Leicester City will pay the,loss when they won promotion.) and seeing that they decided there are ways around the FFP rules if you want to be shrewd, and open to the risk of a pretty meagre fine in the grand scheme of things.

The sale of the ground is another, but unfortunately that loophole is closed to us because we can't trust this lot with a pound coin let alone the keys to our stadium.

Inventive ways around financial rules occur quite a bit in all industries. I'm unsure what the rules are regarding sponsorship, but Man City recently got away with inflating their sponsorship deal with Etihad. In truth RoverCanada I am not the man to come up with the loophole, but almost every season we hear of how a club has managed to exploit a loophole some how or other in order to get around it.

I don't really advocate that kind of stuff, but the argument was put across that the only thing stopping them from spending whatever they want is kind of squashed when you look at what some owners are prepared to do to back their club financially. I think it is a convenient excuse to hide behind for what is a terribly run club.

Putting aside all talk of financial corruption though, if they were really as hamstrung by the FFP rules, you'd have to think their priorities would be increasing revenue, which hasn't happened any year since they have been here. There's been no real push to get people in the ground, STs always late, kit is always late out, communication between club and fans is broken and in general there hasn't been a push on the playing staff side of things to operate the club in a progressive way. It's a shell of the company it once was, operating on the bare bones and producing just enough to survive another year. I don't buy the whole "they want to but can't" argument. Never have, never will. As @Silas mentioned though, it will be interesting if the FFP rules are removed for a time, to see whether or not they do turn the taps on and whether we see this miraculous investment we are always told is coming. 

7 minutes ago, Craigman said:

On the surface of it quite promising. He was first choice for Genk who finished second in Belgium top league. Displaced recently though. 

8 minutes ago, Craigman said:

Not sure why we're waiting until Monday if it's reached the point where he's having a medical, but I suppose I shouldn't complain if we're signing an actual grown up goalkeeper. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craigman said:

A quick google translate

"There is already an agreement at club level, between Blackburn and Kaminski some details still need to be clarified. The transfer from Kaminski to Blackburn would cost approximately 500,000 euros"

• Like 1

Perhaps use one or two of their many other companies to 'sponsor' the shirt/stand/stadium ?   Once upon a time that would have been met with hysteria but probably just grim acceptance now.  Besides some of them don't carry the Venky name but non of that would likely fit into their corporate accounting structure.

Maybe set up something funded by their personal wealth - Big Barry's Classic Auto's Riverside stand - Sponsorship 3 mill per season !

In truth though in the grand scheme of things the way they guarantee to underwrite the losses is probably no different to finding avenues to put money in regularly to say balance crowd takings to a bigger level, the way Jacks Trust did.  All comes to the same thing in the end it just doesn't provide the same cold hard cash flow on a weekly basis.

Edited by tomphil