BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, alex l said:

Perhaps some things cant be 'coached' out of someone. Raya made a couple of high profile errors last season, De Gea several - and i would assume Utd have world class keeper coaches. 

Or Kepa at Chelsea or Lloris at Spurs who have made massive mistakes last season

Be interesting to see if Westwood would be interested in a Number 2 position with a Coaching role.

Many on here have commented in the past about Ben Benson's lack of playing experience/knowledge and the poor coaching we've seen in that particular department. If we brought him in in a player coach role, we could save big time on the FFP allocation for his wages, help younger keepers by having somebody with a wealth of experience at Championship level in the building, and still have a decent Number 2 on the bench should he ever be needed.

Just a thought.

The question is, was this guy somebody we were scouting? He was only just recently dropped I believe and then told he could leave by his new manager. Perhaps we just moved quicker than anyone else on what seems to be a good deal on paper? Bought for 2 mil 18 months ago and then sold for 500k either means we are getting a bargain as they need a quick sale or his value has dropped considerably for one reason or another. 

• Like 1

Just now, JoeH said:

Be interesting to see if Westwood would be interested in a Number 2 position with a Coaching role.

Many on here have commented in the past about Ben Benson's lack of playing experience/knowledge and the poor coaching we've seen in that particular department. If we brought him in in a player coach role, we could save big time on the FFP allocation for his wages, help younger keepers by having somebody with a wealth of experience at Championship level in the building, and still have a decent Number 2 on the bench should he ever be needed.

Just a thought.

if people want an good goalkeeper coach in why not look at Bobby Mimms 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think some of the euphoria surrounding this potential Kaminski deal is a bit OTT, at this stage I think we would all be happy with someone with a pulse by this stage, and we still have to agree personal terms.

That said, he's an ideal age, permanent and anyone coming in has the considerable advantage that they aren't bloody Walton and are going to appear like Gordon Banks in comparison as long as they perform to a reasonable standard.

The bits that caught my eye about the article were that he is in the last year of his contract and had been dropped following a series of mistakes so there is a possibility that we might be picking up a Raya style bargain with his contract situation and with him having fallen out of favour with management etc

Overall then reasonably promising - if it goes through. Not sure a fee initially reported at 500 k euros is evidence of a particularly large transfer budget however, no-one has ever said there's no money whatsoever as far as I can recall, just that money is exceptionally tight. We should also have earned ourselves a bit of wiggle room by seven players having gone out so it may simply be a case that the playing budget is similar to or slightly reduced from  last season when we didn't spend anything on teansfer fees but since then we've shed a few off the wage bill.

Euphoria ott just like the sycophantic and sometimes rabid speculation eh Simon ??

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My Apologises if my comments were wrong, it just appears that you went looking for something negative to shows his mistakes. Most keepers make mistakes like De Gea, Lloris and Kepa have made massive mistakes for their clubs. How experience are those keepers and playing at much higher level of football than us?

I haven't seen him play but I don't watch much European football/competitions like you do watching Champions League, Europe League or Bundesliga whilst I watched none of it at all. Thought you might have seen some of him given the amount of European football you watch

I agree with your point that his age and his pedigree is what we want at the club and as number 1 here. Its the age I suggest days ago we should be looking at and the market the club needs to shop in now looking for players in the European markets where transfer fees are reasonable and OTT like British players plus the wages will be more than reasonable. Its a market we need to shop in aswell as looking good players in UK but at reasonable fees and wages. Some British players wages are bloody ridiculous or the wage demands are. 

Read @RovingRover posts about the player. He has more knowledge of European football in the Countries we are likely to be looking at than myself who very little and can only look at stats of clean sheets of keepers and thats about it

No problem, thanks.

No I have never seen him or heard of him prior. Total unknown.

Ultimately, I dont think any of us know what we are getting. Good age and decent enough pedigree. From abroad too. So I think that adds excitement. It could be a shrewd bargain and a real bit of credit towards the much vaunted European scouting network. Or he could turn to be a crap keeper. Rafael and Samba were sourced from abroad last season, and were very good additionals. Goalkeepers like Sluga, Nyland, Kalinic in the Championship have not been successes. I just hope that Mowbray and his staff have got this one right as we need him to be bang on. I have no idea but I look forward to seeing him and am desperate for him to be good.

All goalkeepers make mistakes as you say. The problem for example with Walton was the number of mistakes, he must have made close to 15 mistakes leading to goals. Some of which were blatant, some were a bit more subjective and more poor goalkeeping for shots he could have saved rather than howlers. We need to hope if this lad signs that he makes a low number of mistakes. Raya made a couple of howlers last season but brought the quantity right down which is why now post coaching I think that he has massively improved.

Just now, JoeH said:

Just a thought.

I think Rich Sharpe chased it up and seems to think it was agent talk.

Be surprised to see if he would move and come onto our bench, he could play at this level but will cost a lot in wages. Not sure if that would in any way exploit a FFP loophole either.

The only way to improve goalkeeping coaching is to improve the goalkeeper coach(s). Never a fan of suggestions about experienced players essentially being coaches just on the back of their playing career. That being said, a more experienced number 2 would make sense. Rob Elliot was mentioned again by Rich Sharpe the other day, maybe he would fit the bill, free, cheap, experienced. Needs to be competent because we are taking a small (but worthwhile and calculated) risk in signing a keeper from Belgium. If he doesnt work out we need a competent goalkeeper and not another Leutwiler!

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Aye, maybe.

Should we sign this lad, we will just have to see how he gets on in a Rovers shirt.

I think most fans accept one or two blunders a season, if the keeper wins you a number of games or saves you points. Unfortunately for Walton his positive contributions were lacking, particularly after the restart

12 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Euphoria ott just like the sycophantic and sometimes rabid speculation eh Simon ??

We don't have a senior keeper on the books and now  might be signing one for 500k euros 1864!

Hardly that earth shattering in normal circumstances but we're coming at it from such a desperate position we're all like a dying man in the desert stumbling upon an oasis.

Might be a bargain though like I've said.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Let's just say that he's the best keeper in the Championship bar none and leave it at that.

Yep. Having never heard of him before this afternoon I can fully go with that.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure if that would in any way exploit a FFP loophole either.

Because you pay him £500pw (or pay as you play) as a player and £7,000pw as a coach. Coaching wages don't count towards your FFP bill. A loophole thats been exposed on a few occasions. 

51 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

In other news, that Wigan LB has signed for Fulham. Bargain at 1.5 million.

Jeez. If that were to another Championship side I'd be very frustrated but in fairness we can't compete with Fulham now they've been promoted. Good deal for them, clearly some lowball bids can attain Wigan players right now though...we should see about their other defenders as their defensive unit looked far better than ours in the last third of the season.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Jeez. If that were to another Championship side I'd be very frustrated but in fairness we can't compete with Fulham now they've been promoted. Good deal for them, clearly some lowball bids can attain Wigan players right now though...we should see about their other defenders as their defensive unit looked far better than ours in the last third of the season.

He had a release Clause if Wigan got relegated.Fulham paying him 50k a week

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

But they were awful for the other two thirds.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

But they were awful for the other two thirds.

Thought it was more the first third to be fair, at least come Christmas time onwards it sounded like they were mostly just very unlucky.

I only said we should see about them. As in, take a look. I don't watch them closely enough to know why their defence improved. Could be they just gelled as a unit, which wouldn't help us when buying individuals, Marshall's form, or it could be some players just started fulfilling their potential. Or it could have simply been good management. I just know they shipped less than us over the season despite going down and we sorely need defenders. Probably without much money for them.

Edited by bluebruce

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-gent-goalkeeper-transfer-18806650

It's understood Kaminski is seeking a new club after being dropped by Gent manager Jess Thorup following a catalogue of errors, 

It's the hope that kills you.

Never heard of the lad never mind seen him play.

I'll reserve judgement - at least he has some decent experience and pedigree.

The errors are a worry - bit like a golfer or snooker player with the 'yips'.  Once these errors start, things seem to go from bad to worse and goalies can fall from grace pretty dramatically as seen with Hart and De Gea.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Never heard of the lad never mind seen him play.

I'll reserve judgement - at least he has some decent experience and pedigree.

The errors are a worry - bit like a golfer or snooker player with the 'yips'.  Once these errors start, things seem to go from bad to worse and goalies can fall from grace pretty dramatically as seen with Hart and De Gea.

We got Robbo after a similar run, if I recall. Ended up being a good investment for us, but it took him a while to get the errors out of his game (the contrast with 8 years of Brad probably didn't help him either).

Sometimes a change of scene can make all the difference though. Gomes at Spurs looked like he'd never kept goal in his life - goes to Watford and he turns into a different player.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This sounds very positive re the keeper. Him and Westwood would give us some serious competition in that position, but I only see us signing one of those 2. I wouldn't be against signing both. 

Not going to get too excited until a deal is finalised though. 

I can't see this lad is coming here to sit on the bench. I think we can forget Westwood.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Couldnt we do that with every single player that we signed? In theory.

I think there’s a panel for FFP isn’t there though, that analyses clubs on an individual basis. For one older player I think it’d be permitted but for several, or most, then sanctions would probably be put into place/transfers not approved by governing bodies.

Only have to look at the insane Rooney to Derby County deal.

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

Anyone know more on wright phillips, youth loan last season, Could be a smart move 

Unknown. Probably a case of waiting to see on the FA Youth Cup semi-final, as the Under 18’s new season and new cup are still on hold without a restart date confirmed