BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Asked my Belgian colleague about Kaminski and he was pretty positive. Said he was highly thought of as a prospect with Anderlecht (his club) and he was only 2nd choice there because their no. 1 keeper was so good.

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm looking at clubs like Bournemouth (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11743/11426730/bournemouth-agree-4-75m-settlement-with-efl-for-breach-of-ffp-rules#:~:text=Bournemouth will pay the EFL,the Premier League as champions.) and Leicester (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43146018#:~:text=Leicester City will pay the,loss when they won promotion.) and seeing that they decided there are ways around the FFP rules if you want to be shrewd, and open to the risk of a pretty meagre fine in the grand scheme of things.

The sale of the ground is another, but unfortunately that loophole is closed to us because we can't trust this lot with a pound coin let alone the keys to our stadium.

Inventive ways around financial rules occur quite a bit in all industries. I'm unsure what the rules are regarding sponsorship, but Man City recently got away with inflating their sponsorship deal with Etihad.

I pointedly excluded the cases of promoted clubs like Bournemouth and Leicester, or Man City (which is a whole other level). There clearly are deficiencies in how FFP works if a club does get promoted (or those at Man City's level). But I purposefully highlighted the SW case, where they similarly gambled and didn't get promoted, and are now facing a pretty severe penalty after mucking up the stadium sale loophole. Breaking FFP is no guarantee of promotion and my reading is the consequences of doing so are getting tighter. (Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustrations if we continue muck around at mid-table)

In truth RoverCanada I am not the man to come up with the loophole, but almost every season we hear of how a club has managed to exploit a loophole some how or other in order to get around it.

I don't really advocate that kind of stuff, but the argument was put across that the only thing stopping them from spending whatever they want is kind of squashed when you look at what some owners are prepared to do to back their club financially. I think it is a convenient excuse to hide behind for what is a terribly run club.

Putting aside all talk of financial corruption though, if they were really as hamstrung by the FFP rules, you'd have to think their priorities would be increasing revenue, which hasn't happened any year since they have been here. There's been no real push to get people in the ground, STs always late, kit is always late out, communication between club and fans is broken and in general there hasn't been a push on the playing staff side of things to operate the club in a progressive way. It's a shell of the company it once was, operating on the bare bones and producing just enough to survive another year. I don't buy the whole "they want to but can't" argument. Never have, never will. As @Silas mentioned though, it will be interesting if the FFP rules are removed for a time, to see whether or not they do turn the taps on and whether we see this miraculous investment we are always told is coming. 

I do find the assumption that there must be 'some' loophole a bit frustrating. It strikes me as a hand-waving 'bah, there must be a way to cheat! Fancy accountants can do anything!" when there aren't any concrete examples outside of the stadium sale loophole and Man City's unique case.

Maybe commercial revenue could be juiced a bit more, but I don't think it's so obvious that other clubs are blatantly doing so (I'm open to examples!), there are regulations in place, and I pointed out that we already do punch above our weight commercial revenue-wise due to Venky's. I'm sure further improvements can be made to boost revenue - I've seen plenty of criticism/suggestions regarding our matchday efforts! - but that still won't be nearly enough to boost us to the level of the likes of Leeds or parachute payment recipients. Would us being a £20m vs £17m revenue club really be all that different...? (Having said that, yes, please do boost revenue where possible!!)

I think the only initial murmur is the 1-year FFP £13m loss limit (more like £17m for us due to our academy spend) may be extended to over two years (so, we wouldn't be judged for losing £20m this year as long as we only lose £14m the next). I personally think it's pretty unrealistic to expect clubs will make back the losses of this year in only one year. That revenue is gone and will never be recovered, particularly with fans in the ground still looking a ways off.

Anyway, may all be for nought as I suspect a revamp of FFP will be coming soon (and I'd err toward assuming it'll be a bit more airtight than it is now!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have no idea that's where the money came from. 

It's been reported for a couple of weeks we had a budget. Just people aren't willing to be patience and get it time to get the players in. We probably have 4 or 5 millions as football budget to be spent on the players. Whether 5 or 6 free transfers or a couple of deals around 500k plus wages, then a couple of free transfers. 

If FFP rules are being relax then it gives us more space. 

IMO, utter b0ll0cks.

My wife's working to a budget.

She's just bought herself a new car and some new clothes, however, we've ended up with £2,000 more cash because she's sold her premium bonds!

So the question is, which players or players will be sold to finance the acquisitions!?!?

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

So the question is, which players or players will be sold to finance the acquisitions!?!?

Shouldn't be a need for any ( hopefully)  if we make 2-3 modest low cost acquisitions like this proposed keeper given we'e shed seven players off the wage bill from last season.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, utter b0ll0cks.

1.3 budget left from January, plus wages off the wage bill from Downing, Graham, Samuel, Smallwood, Leutwiler, Hart plus loans from Walton and Adarabioyo. Which I reckon is around 3 million(60k a week)off the budget IMO So there is 4 to 5 million budget. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1.3 budget left from January, plus wages off the wage bill from Downing, Graham, Samuel, Smallwood, Leutwiler, Hart plus loans from Walton and Adarabioyo. Which I reckon is around 3 million(60k a week)off the budget IMO So there is 4 to 5 million budget. 

If only it was that simple in reality.

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Ollie Waite the Physio has left Rovers to join Crystal Palace today .

No surprise as we have been advertising his role at the club. 

Played a major role in getting Dack back to his current level of fitness. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If only it was that simple in reality.

It is simple. I've shown how you can have a 4 to 5 million pounds football budget which include transfers and wages fees

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It is simple. I've shown how you can have a 4 to 5 million pounds football budget which include transfers and wages fees

But you have neglected numerous thing most of all the impact that Covid19 will have had on the club's finances. Not to mention clauses that may well have been triggered in contracts over the past season. It's not a simple as there's X amount of the wage bill so that automatically goes on the transfer budget, as you seem to think.

• Like 1

But you have neglected numerous thing most of all the impact that Covid19 will have had on the club's finances. Not to mention clauses that may well have been triggered in contracts over the past season. It's not a simple as there's X amount of the wage bill so that automatically goes on the transfer budget, as you seem to think.

There's also no guarantee that a) money which was available in January is still available now and b) just because we had a certain budget last year which covered the bills of the players who have left, doesnt mean we have the same budget now. 

As you stated earlier, it's really not as simply as 'we had that money or was spending that amount before, therefore we can now'. By the same token, we dont know if the owners have allocated a budget which allows a couple of transfer without the need to sell. 

Well you don't what affect Covid-19 has had on the budget do you? 

Yet again another thing we don't know for sure. 

We don't what the budget is that the owners gave Mowbray or those discussions gone. But we have a keeper coming in from Gent for 450k plus wages. 

I've done a logical calculation of the budget we had in January and wages saved by releasing those players. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You’re crazy. The players currently don’t have a first team liaison because they cannot afford to bring her back from furlough. The grounds team has been reduced to one person and the number of pitches being maintained has been reduced because we can’t afford to maintain all the pitches. 
We have a very, very limited budget - the owners are limited to what they can put in because of FFP. We are lucky that some of our top earners deals expired before COVID. COVID-19 has cost the club millions. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well you don't what affect Covid-19 has had on the budget do you? 

I know that Covid19 will have had a substantial impact on the clubs finances. That is just basic common sense. Perhaps you are correct and we will spend £5 Million on players but I suspect it is wishful thinking by you just like when you thought there was going to a vaccine ready in September.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've done a logical calculation of the budget we had in January and wages saved by releasing those players. 

Your calculations are anything but logical, they are the calculations of someone with their head in the clouds and their fingers in their ears.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

You’re crazy. The players currently don’t have a first team liaison because they cannot afford to bring her back from furlough. The grounds team has been reduced to one person and the number of pitches being maintained has been reduced because we can’t afford to maintain all the pitches. 
We have a very, very limited budget - the owners are limited to what they can put in because of FFP. We are lucky that some of our top earners deals expired before COVID. COVID-19 has cost the club millions. 

FFP are being lifted and salary cap of 20 millions according to someone on here. 

Why would pitch maintenance be part of FFP?

How can we afford 450k plus wages then for Thomas Kaminski?

Edited by chaddyrovers

That's not what J*B is saying. He's saying that because of the amount of money that Covid has cost the club, the club have had to place a number of the ground staff on furlough meaning that they cannot maintain the same amount of pitches as they normally do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I know that Covid19 will have had a substantial impact on the clubs finances. That is just basic common sense. Perhaps you are correct and we will spend £5 Million on players but I suspect it is wishful thinking by you just like when you thought there was going to a vaccine ready in September.

Your calculations are anything but logical, they are the calculations of someone with their head in the clouds and their fingers in their ears.

No my calculations were logical. 

I didn't say we would spend 5 million pounds on players..I said we have 5 millions pounds football budget on players fees and wages. 

On Vaccine ready by September comment from scientists at Oxford university. Check back and see what they said

• Like 1

FFP are being lifted and salary cap of 20 millions according to someone on here. 

How can we afford 450k plus wages then for Thomas Kaminski?

There’s still no official correspondence on FFP being lifted. People on this forum spent around 2 weeks saying that it was lifted, referring back to UEFA guidance on FFP which had zero effect on us a club. For absolute clarity, as things stand, we are carrying on as usual with FFP in the EFL. 

Ewood Ace has just explained pitch maintenance above. 

We cannot go into the season without a first choice goalkeeper. Whilst Kaminski looks astute and could be a brilliant signing, he’s realistically the most qualified first team keeper we can bring in cheaply. I have to congratulate the club for sourcing him and getting him in so cheap, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve needed to go for a cheaper option than Marshall or Phillips or some of our other options. 

No my calculations were logical. 

I didn't say we would spend 5 million pounds on players..I said we have 5 millions pounds football budget on players fees and wages. 

But you have completely neglected the massive impact that Covid will have had on our finances.

• Like 2

Just now, J*B said:

We cannot go into the season without a first choice goalkeeper. Whilst Kaminski looks astute and could be a brilliant signing, he’s realistically the most qualified first team keeper we can bring in cheaply. I have to congratulate the club for sourcing him and getting him in so cheap, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve needed to go for a cheaper option than Marshall or Phillips or some of our other options. 

The foriegn market is where the value for money is for players..

Rovers using the European scouting network finally