BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Theaxe15 said:

This obsession with expecting the club to announce their budget is just plain bizarre. When has the club, or any other club for that matter, come out and said "yes we have X amount to spend on transfers this window"? Never

When has anybody asked the club to name the exact amount we have for transfers though? I find the repeated claims by numerous posters more bizarre, as I've yet to see anybody ask for that.

Some people want a general idea, which isn't outlandish, as we have been told in the past we have a healthy budget, small budget, or we have to sell to buy, we are mostly looking at frees or loans, etc. And some people just want to know the budget has been established, for a sense of security that things aren't dragging on or Venkys might pull the plug. You all might disagree with those sentiments but they're not unreasonable given things that have been disclosed in the past and the current climate.

We were told when the budget hadn't been established, don't see the problem in being told when it is.

And yes I know the keeper thing now indicates we now have one. But it hasn't happened yet and might just be funds freed up from elsewhere, like the expired contracts, leftover funds from January, etc. For what it's worth, I do suspect it's been decided, but I understand the worry about the general lack of communication from the club this summer on all fronts.

12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Tbf, 'Left over' after the fact is very different from announcing it before any is spent.

But clubs will see that and when it comes to selling their player they will know going into negotiations that Rovers had X amount left over from the previous window so we are automatically starting negotiations on the back foot. Coming out and saying what you had left over is just as foolish as coming out and announcing your budget.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

But clubs will see that and when it comes to selling their player they will know going into negotiations that Rovers had X amount left over from the previous window so we are automatically starting negotiations on the back foot. Coming out and saying what you had left over is just as foolish as coming out and announcing your budget.

It's sort of irrelevant. Most businesses redo their budgets regularly, so I imagine Rovers would for each transfer window too.

The issue in our sense is that often if there is money left unspent from a budget that suggests to those running an organisation that less is needed next time...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

When has anybody asked the club to name the exact amount we have for transfers though? I find the repeated claims by numerous posters more bizarre, as I've yet to see anybody ask for that.

Some people want a general idea, which isn't outlandish, as we have been told in the past we have a healthy budget, small budget, or we have to sell to buy, we are mostly looking at frees or loans, etc. And some people just want to know the budget has been established, for a sense of security that things aren't dragging on or Venkys might pull the plug. You all might disagree with those sentiments but they're not unreasonable given things that have been disclosed in the past and the current climate.

We were told when the budget hadn't been established, don't see the problem in being told when it is.

And yes I know the keeper thing now indicates we now have one. But it hasn't happened yet and might just be funds freed up from elsewhere, like the expired contracts, leftover funds from January, etc. For what it's worth, I do suspect it's been decided, but I understand the worry about the general lack of communication from the club this summer on all fronts.

Well for a start, the budget not being established cropped up in an interview with Mowbray did it not? It wasn't like it was a press release on the club website or anything.

Maybe the journalists aren't asking him the right questions or maybe the club feels they don't need to come out and say that a budget has been determined, perhaps thinking their actions will speak louder. Granted, at the moment the silence is pretty deafening in that sense considering we haven't signed anyone, and that sluggishness in the market is definitely something to be a little frustrated by. Equally the business with the kit is also a bit shoddy. 

Personally, though, I just don't see the need for that kind of declaration or information on the transfer front. Let them get on with it, don't let fretting over the budget of a football club ruin your day and just wait and see what happens.

Keeper in, back up keeper in, A decent defender or 2 loaned and maybe Whiteman on top of keeping our assets, loaning out Mulgrew would be reasonable business in this climate. Around 2.5 million might do that and not bankrupt things.

I'd prefer more defensive additions and a winger and a striker but we have to be realistic it's more a case of addressing the key area best they can right now. 

So some on here now think Rovers have a budget as we appear to have agreed a fee of about E500k for a goalie from Genk and everything in the garden is rosy.

A budget can take many shapes and form and some posters need to curtail their excitement!

Mowbray might have been told he's a net £3million to spend on transfer fees and wages have to be held at 2019/20 levels - IMO, very unlikely and I'd give this option no more than a 1% chance.

Mowbray might have been told he's to bring in a net £15million in transfer fees and wages have to be cut by £5million from 2019/20 levels - IMO, and I've i've said this for weeks, very likely and I'd give this option a 90% chance.

Rovers have to be honest with the fans.  At the end of the day, Rovers will want season ticket sales, replica kit sales etc.

They can't go round telling fans what the budget is exactly and I'm pretty certain no one poster has requested this.

However, they could say 'we have a competitive budget which we believe will allow us to strengthen the team and look to push on' or they could say 'financial circumstances mean we will be restricted to free transfers and loans'.  To say absolutely nothing is, IMO, crass, but unsurprising, management from Waggott and Mowbray.

The weeds outside Ewood, as some have posted pictures of, is an absolute disgrace and, perhaps, IMO, sums up our incompetent management team who don't really give a jot.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

Just now, J*B said:

It’s totally unrealistic to expect the club to come out and say 'financial circumstances mean we will be restricted to free transfers and loans'. 

Why?

Historically, pre JW, supporters were often told there was little or no money and we would be mainly operating in the free transfer market. 

There might the odd person specifically wanting to know what the budget is, which is never going to happen and never should happen, but most criticisms of the situation have been as to the way Venkys operate and their negligence regarding actually giving the manager a budget as soon as possible, which is absolutely fair, and also predictions that there wont be much money, which is a reasonable assumption.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

No one, no one else on the planet does what Rovers do. It’s unfathomable and makes them look idiotic. Does this answer your question?

Ok, now please answer mine. Why does them acting so mad mean that we act mad too? Let’s be honest, in the cold light of day still demanding that the CEO and / Manager release the budget in the current circumstances is just odd. We have all the information we need or are going to get on the subject. 

No need to announce whether any  budget big or low. 

But as you say we are a bit of a basket club with unpredictable owners so... if you publically go on record as 'not knowing your budget.' 

A simple public acknowledgement that a budget is now in place wouldn't seem too much to ask.  It doesn't need any further clarification than that.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Why?

Historically, pre JW, supporters were often told there was little or no money and we would be mainly operating in the free transfer market. 

Because it’s not 1989 anymore and that’s not how football clubs operate. 

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No need to announce whether any  budget big or low. 

But as you say we are a bit of a basket club with unpredictable owners so... if you publically go on record as 'not knowing your budget.' 

A simple public acknowledgement that a budget is now in place wouldn't seem too much to ask.  It doesn't need any further clarification than that.

That’s it though. It wasn’t anymore publicly announced than the answer to any question in any interview. He was asked which players were staying and said he wasn’t sure because he hadn’t had his budget confirmed.

Its us fans who are absolutely infatuated with it. Ignoring the fact that 4 days later we announced that Downing had an offer on the table, dismissive of pretty good info about possible signings. Forgetting that a week ago Sharpe said we were bidding for players and then neglecting confirmed reports that we’d made a six figure bid for a keeper. ALL of which pretty much confirm there IS a budget. All whilst sat waiting for SW and TM to call us to the town hall and publicly announce “WE HAVE A BUDGET!!!” ??‍♂️?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s it though. It wasn’t anymore publicly announced than the answer to any question in any interview. He was asked which players were staying and said he wasn’t sure because he hadn’t had his budget confirmed.

Its us fans who are absolutely infatuated with it. Ignoring the fact that 4 days later we announced that Downing had an offer on the table, dismissive of pretty good info about possible signings. Forgetting that a week ago Sharpe said we were bidding for players and then neglecting confirmed reports that we’d made a six figure bid for a keeper. ALL of which pretty much confirm there IS a budget. All whilst sat waiting for SW and TM to call us to the town hall and publicly announce “WE HAVE A BUDGET!!!” ??‍♂️?

When was anyone dismissive about "pretty good info about possible signings" 4 days after that Luton game in which Mowbray had spent the whole week stating his frustration that he had received no clarity on his budget?

The report regarding Kaminski is the first one seemingly of any credibility and it would provide relief that we have seemingly started to do our transfer business, albeit at a later start than most in the division.

We offered Downing a contract that seemingly is not financially up to the terms Downing would like post covid, and let everyone else go. Not sure what that proves.

You are correct to suggest that we shouldnt expect to know what the budget actually is, or even roughly what it is. I dont doubt that. 

But ultimately, the main frustrations lie with the way Venkys work, constantly leaving us year on year at a disadvantage in the transfer market in terms of forcing the manager to wait until after the season (even if our fate is sealed in advance of the end of the season) to fly to India to sort it. This season, they left the manager publically frustrated because he didnt know what was going on at all. As facetious as you want to be with your comments, people are right to lambast the owners for their backwards and negligent way of working.

Obviously, when you start telling everyone that its only FFP stopping them from signing off all the cheques, and telling people to "grow up" for criticsing and having animosity towards Venkys, as well as comments like the last one in the quoted post, it will wind people up.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

What is going on with Mulgrew? Nowhere near the squad for the friendlies today and no rumours or links to him moving on. Big chunk of the wage bill being wasted.

Lined up for a move to League 1 according to Rich Sharpe. Rumours are Fleetwood

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When was anyone dismissive about "pretty good info about possible signings" 4 days after that Luton game in which Mowbray had spent the whole week stating his frustration that he had received no clarity on his budget?

The report regarding Kaminski is the first one seemingly of any credibility and it would provide relief that we have seemingly started to do our transfer business, albeit at a later start than most in the division.

We offered Downing a contract that seemingly is not financially up to the terms Downing would like post covid, and let everyone else go. Not sure what that proves.

You are correct to suggest that we shouldnt expect to know what the budget actually is, or even roughly what it is. I dont doubt that. 

But ultimately, the main frustrations lie with the way Venkys work, constantly leaving us year on year at a disadvantage in the transfer market in terms of forcing the manager to wait until after the season (even if our fate is sealed in advance of the end of the season) to fly to India to sort it. This season, they left the manager publically frustrated because he didnt know what was going on at all. As facetious as you want to be with your comments, people are right to lambast the owners for their backwards and negligent way of working.

Obviously, when you start telling everyone that its only FFP stopping them from signing off all the cheques, and telling people to "grow up" for criticsing and having animosity towards Venkys, as well as comments like the last one in the quoted post, it will wind people up.

They’re just my opinions. You have a lot to say for yourself too. A lot of it very very much in contrast to my opinion. A lot of which I’d describe as inflammatory but hey ho.

The ‘grow up’ comment was completely justified in context. I’m as far from a Venkys supporter as anyone out there. But I’m able to separate my emotions from facts as an adult does.

My opinions are different to lots of people in here but very similar to others. Feel free to mute me but I will not be brow beaten into conformity. Nor will I dilute just to keep you happy.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

What is going on with Mulgrew? Nowhere near the squad for the friendlies today and no rumours or links to him moving on. Big chunk of the wage bill being wasted.

He'll sit on it all season if nothing pops up he fancies, who wouldn't at this club if they got chance.  I'm sure he'd accept a nice pay off though.