BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, AAK said:

Hope not, theyre shite.

Give over Butterworth has looked quality when I have seen him, haven't seen much of Vale but he is highly regarded.

I take it you watch a lot of the under 23s to have such an opinion?

If the budget allowed then yeah ideally we would bring in an experienced front man but Butterworth definitely has something about him 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I hope we'll be going with Arma on his own up top. 4231, with the 3 being fluid: Dack + wingers.

Then when we need to go defensive and play more direct, or perhaps hold a lead use Gallagher more with Arma (or another pacey player) playing wide as an outlet like we used to with Gestede and King.

• Like 1

Ha! Nixons story is us signing a kid presumably for the under 23 side? Exciting!

I think it would need a fairly successful season just to match last seasons squad which is a bit of a worry, considering who has left.

Walton obviously going doesnt leave too big of a gap, and although we are seemingly taking a calculated gamble on a goalkeeper from abroad who has had a tough time recently, the Walton benchmark is a low one there.

Adarabioyo will be a huge miss. Id be amazed if we managed to get someone as good at centre back. Cunningham played only a fraction of the season but we gathered a fair few points in that game. That said, he didnt play enough to make it a major loss but again we will struggle to get a left back as good unless we go for him again.

We have seemingly lost Downing. Im not saying that we should have acted differently or indeed that he would have been as effective but last season he was very good and must have been close to player of the season. Graham had a much less critical part but I think was in every match day squad and was always an option, plus his departure puts more onus on Brereton.

Weve also lost some experience and also players who can use the ball well which is key to Mowbrays supposed new style. Its a vital window just to ensure that our squad isnt worse than it was last season.

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to start playing BB and Gally more. Maybe he’ll add Chapman more too...then you 5 for 3 positions up top (inc Dack and AA) before you begin to blood the likes of Butterworth and Vale....they’ll be looking for 10 each from Gally and BB and 15 a piece from Dack and AA. Not saying they’ll get them but that will be the aim imo

Not sure he has to play Gally/BB more - he has to play them more effectively. 

We could play with Armstrong up top and Rothwell (although that lad Dolan looks more effective out wide than Rothwell from today's cameo) Dack as a '10'  Chapman wide.  Two wide players who have the feet to go outside or inside.  As long as balls are played into feet or down the sides of the CBs - those players could cause all types of problems.  Alternatively you put Gallagher up top and 3 play off him. Allowing the use of higher balls centrally. 

Again, it needs TM to decide on the approach he wants and preferably not piss about with it each week. 

These long diagonal balls to wide centre forwards don't work and Gallagher really struggled out there.

What shouldn't happen is Gallagher and Brereton get shoe horned into the 11 because if what they cost - only if they complement the system.

We've got an abundance of 'attacking players', Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman, JRC,  Buckley, Vale, Butterworth, Dolan - who could be utilisedas well as the more reliable goal threat of Armstrong/Dack.   It only needs one of those other players to make the break through and add goals to make Gallagher and Brereton irrelevant.

That depth of under 23 players up front is in complete contrast to the defensive options available.  Hence why all efforts should be made to strengthen the whole back line.  

It will have been a great window if the likes of Williams and Bennett don't appear in the back 4 next season.

Apologies for the waffly post ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s the way I think we’re heading though with a 433!

Its seems we are going that way judging by today's performance and line up..

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack isnt half as effective as a false 9 and presumably Armstrong would be back to being on the left so we would be playing our only 2 goal threats both out of position. Makes no sense.

We don't what going on Dack yet in terms of coming back. He's got 3 weeks of non contact training first before resuming normal training. Probably October before he is back properly in the first team squad. I would imagine we won't rush him either

4-3-3 could be the way to go 

16 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe the have high hopes of Vale or Butterworth breaking through

Vale is a great talent and someone we need to develop. Will be good player for us. 

I've seen plenty of him..

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its seems we are going that way judging by today's performance and line up..

We don't what going on Dack yet in terms of coming back. He's got 3 weeks of non contact training first before resuming normal training. Probably October before he is back properly in the first team squad. I would imagine we won't rush him either

4-3-3 could be the way to go 

Vale is a great talent and someone we need to develop. Will be good player for us. 

I've seen plenty of him..

By "could be the way to go" you mean the way that Mowbray will play?

Doesnt suit us when Dack is back which shouldnt be that far away so theres no point building around that system.

The results playing that formation last season were very poor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

By "could be the way to go" you mean the way that Mowbray will play?

Doesnt suit us when Dack is back which shouldnt be that far away so theres no point building around that system.

The results playing that formation last season were very poor.

Well let's see how it goes in pre season..

Dack is weeks away from back. Hes got 3 weeks of non contact training then going to couple of weeks of training plus under 23 game or 2 before he will play 1st team football..so Middle of of October before he back. 

So let's stop worrying about where Dack will play at the minute and focus on what suits our current players and squad. Holtby, Evans and Travis in midfield 3 would be good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well let's see how it goes in pre season..

Dack is weeks away from back. Hes got 3 weeks of non contact training then going to couple of weeks of training plus under 23 game or 2 before he will play 1st team football..so Middle of of October before he back. 

So let's stop worrying about where Dack will play at the minute and focus on what suits our current players and squad. Holtby, Evans and Travis in midfield 3 would be good. 

Evans and Travis central, Rankin Costello left, Chapman right, and Holtby off Armstrong. Dack can slip into Holtbys positon when hes fit again.

As I said, makes no sense to play a system that wont suit our best 2 players when they are both fit. Which hopefully will be most of the season.

Plus the formation didnt work last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans and Travis central, Rankin Costello left, Chapman right, and Holtby off Armstrong. Dack can slip into Holtbys positon when hes fit again.

As I said, makes no sense to play a system that wont suit our best 2 players when they are both fit. Which hopefully will be most of the season.

I agree the whole Gallagher/Brereton on the wing thing has been an absolute abject failure.

I however think Mowbray loves it and we will see plenty more of it. Interestingly today suggested he may actually try some wingers, but I am not hopeful.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Forget last season. Has no barring on this season and going forward.

We have no idea how Dack will come back physical or mentally when he starts contact training. Stop expecting him to come back the same players. Could be months before he is back to be normal. Think you expecting far too much. 

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree the whole Gallagher/Brereton on the wing thing has been an absolute abject failure.

I however think Mowbray loves it and we will see plenty more of it. Interestingly today suggested he may actually try some wingers, but I am not hopeful.

Also he admitted trying to sign Atsu (a crap winger but its the position that counts!) in January so maybe the penny has dropped a bit? If you play 4231 it gives you more scope for 2 central players in attack. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Forget last season. Has no barring on this season and going forward.

We have no idea how Dack will come back physical or mentally when he starts contact training. Stop expecting him to come back the same players. Could be months before he is back to be normal. Think you expecting far too much. 

Well no, we have to learn from what went well and what didnt go so well last season. The 433 didnt work very well. 

Seems a bit of a cop out. Either way, playing 433 means only one of our attacking players can play centrally. Also puts more reliance on the wide players who havent shown an ability to score regularly. Even if it means Holtby as the 10 further forward. 

If we play 4231 im sure youll start bigging that formation up and dismissing 433 anyway.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well no, we have to learn from what went well and what didnt go so well last season. The 433 didnt work very well. 

Seems a bit of a cop out. Either way, playing 433 means only one of our attacking players can play centrally. Also puts more reliance on the wide players who havent shown an ability to score regularly. Even if it means Holtby as the 10 further forward. 

If we play 4231 im sure youll start bigging that formation up and dismissing 433 anyway.

Well yes cos we have played it different with a main striker in the 9 role. Plus Holtby playing deeper. 

What a cop out? 

One of attacking player can play centrally? 

Its yourself over obsessing about Dack and thinking Dack will be back to best from game 1 plus playing the formation that suit him. We need to formation that suit the entire squad we got and any new players we may sign. 

Dack might never be the player he was before and have to adapt his game. Like other footballers had to like Shearer or Owen did. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well yes cos we have played it different with a main striker in the 9 role. Plus Holtby playing deeper. 

What a cop out? 

One of attacking player can play centrally? 

Its yourself over obsessing about Dack and thinking Dack will be back to best from game 1 plus playing the formation that suit him. We need to formation that suit the entire squad we got and any new players we may sign. 

Dack might never be the player he wants before and have to adapt his game

I dont think that the 433 suits the squad in general but saying that, I think that Dack has to be considered because he is so important to us. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that the 433 suits the squad in general but saying that, I think that Dack has to be considered because he is so important to us. 

And what happens if Dack is never the same player again?

We might sign a couple of players that make us suit 4-3-3 more. Who knows

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I'd be reluctant to put Armstrong outwide. He doesn't really do alot when he's there. He's much better as a central striker and his performances last season have earned him the right to stay there.

Gally can't play wide either but he shouldn't be taking Arma's place up front.

If he's going to persist with this 4-3-3 formation then you have Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton all fighting for one position. They're all just making up the numbers when you put them out wide. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He must be staying then if we aren't after another striker. 

I prefer your reading of it. 

I took the non-interest in a new striker "as things stand" to be a bit more ominous. Hopefully just a turn of phrase, opposed to a possibility of losing Armstrong and sourcing replacements.

Arma is ESSENTIAL to the health of our season. 

Edited by Doaksie