BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If he's going to persist with this 4-3-3 formation then you have Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton all fighting for one position. They're all just making up the numbers when you put them out wide. 

I think Armstrong is good off the left cutting in and I think Dack can play the false 9 with the right, footballing midfield behind him. I do like the look of Davenport and I think we will be able to control games with him on the pitch as he recycles the ball so well. Get Whiteman in next to him and Trav and I think we’d get Dack right in the game. The worry for me is the right side of the front 3. Gally isn’t the answer but I think BB has potential to pick up the ball deep and run at players. Maybe Chapman can be the answer.? 

The real excitement this season will be to see how good the likes of Butterworth, JRC and Vale can be in those positions.

Either way, I wouldn’t be signing another forward unless I was offloading one of Dack, AA, BB or Gally.

I count 8 for three spots there...5 first team and 3 academy grads. Plenty of options!

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

Dont think this has been posted. Apologies if it has. A video of Kaminski. Appreciate that it offers little value because it is his best parts so there is no perspective of overall reliability.

Seems to be a very dramatic goalkeeper in terms of loving a camera save, occasionally spilling it back into the danger zone. Also a few penalty saves in there. For quite a few years, I have never really been confident in our keepers saving penalties. Hopefully that could change now.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Armstrong is good off the left cutting in and I think Dack can play the false 9 with the right, footballing midfield behind him. I do like the look of Davenport and I think we will be able to control games with him on the pitch as he recycles the ball so well. Get Whiteman in next to him and Trav and I think we’d get Dack right in the game. The worry for me is the right side of the front 3. Gally isn’t the answer but I think BB has potential to pick up the balm deep and run at players. Maybe Chapman can be the answer.? 

The real excitement this season will be to see how good the likes of Butterworth, JRC and Vale can be in those positions.

Either way, I wouldn’t be signing another forward unless I was offloading one of Dack, AA, BB or Gally.

With Armstrong though, his goals last season v Reading, Luton, Brentford x2, Hull, QPR, PNE, Bristol City, QPR away, and his brilliant performance at Sheffield Wednesday all had him in a central role. Moving him central sparked him into life. In a 4231 we could have our 2 goalscorers central and then hopefully build around that being solid with them always proving a threat.

Everyime Dack has played the false 9 before it has not worked. Has to play with his back to goal more and also nullifys his desire to appear a bit later to score.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

With Armstrong though, his goals last season v Reading, Luton, Brentford x2, Hull, QPR, PNE, Bristol City, QPR away, and his brilliant performance at Sheffield Wednesday all had him in a central role. Moving him central sparked him into life. In a 4231 we could have our 2 goalscorers central and then hopefully build around that being solid with them always proving a threat.

Everyime Dack has played the false 9 before it has not worked. Has to play with his back to goal more and also nullifys his desire to appear a bit later to score.

When everyone’s fit anyone who says anything other than playing Dack behind Armstrong is on crack. Armstrong has to be our main central striker this season. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Give over Butterworth has looked quality when I have seen him, haven't seen much of Vale but he is highly regarded.

I take it you watch a lot of the under 23s to have such an opinion?

If the budget allowed then yeah ideally we would bring in an experienced front man but Butterworth definitely has something about him 

They’re shite, convince me otherwise. Chaddy has liked your response, says it all, not a go at you, sorry, but both are shite.

3 hours ago, AAK said:

They’re shite, convince me otherwise. Chaddy has liked your response, says it all, not a go at you, sorry, but both are shite.

How many times have you seen them play?

Regulars who go to watch the under 23s say different.

Do you go to the under 23s?Noticed you didn't reply to that part of my post.

Iv not seen enough of Vale but Butterworth is not shite

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

Butterworth has looked good when I have seen him. Hopefully now he will have a full pre season he will push on. Didn’t he Captain the City youth teams at all ages?

Ignore me, never seen him. I’m getting him mixed up with Davenport.

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Butterworth has looked good when I have seen him. Hopefully now he will have a full pre season he will push on. Didn’t he Captain the City youth teams at all ages?

Looked good to me too when he made his debut at Ewood. The Academy is producing some quality players, and a lot of them. Can't remember as many good ones coming through since the days of Duff, Dunn, Johnson etc

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Armstrong, until Dack is back, is our best player. Play him through the middle and play with some genuine width supporting him. This false nine crap doesn’t work. We are not City and we are not Barca from six years ago.

Too right.

Same with all this possession stuff Mowbray now bangs on about.  We haven't got players good enough.  At times yesterday, I think it was embarrassing watching us p1ssing about at the back and that's against the mighty Fleetwood).

27 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Looked good to me too when he made his debut at Ewood. The Academy is producing some quality players, and a lot of them. Can't remember as many good ones coming through since the days of Duff, Dunn, Johnson etc

Who are these 'quality' players you refer to?

We have produced no one remotely approaching the level of Duff, Dunn, Jones or even Johnson.

Lenihan is 26 and a decent Championship centre half - think he might get ripped in the PL.

Travis is coming up for 23 and a good Championship player - not sure he could step up to the PL.

Nyambe is another approaching 23 and can't even command a place in our team (though accept in part that is down to, IMO, our idiotic manager).

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Too right.

Same with all this possession stuff Mowbray now bangs on about.  We haven't got players good enough.  At times yesterday, it was embarrassing.

Who are these 'quality' players you refer to?

We have produced no one remotely approaching the level of Duff, Dunn, Jones or even Johnson.

Lenihan is 26 and a decent Championship centre half - think he might get ripped in the PL.

Travis is coming up for 23 and a good Championship player - not sure he could step up to the PL.

Nyambe is another approaching 23 and can't even command a place in our team (though accept in part that is down to, IMO, our idiotic manager).

Butterworth, JRC, Buckley, Travis, Nyambe, Brennan, Wharton, Carter, Vale.  I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of (a young full-back called Garratt is meant to be very good). All potentially capable, by the looks of things, of playing in the league we are currently in. 

I realise your relentless negativity won't allow you to take any pleasure in anything Rovers related but those young lads will be the mainstay of the club over the next few years. I very much doubt there will be a club in our League who has as many Academy graduates as part of the the First Team squad as we do.

• Like 6

It’s all about what and who we are as a club in 2020.

Unfortunately this regime has probably put paid to us ever again becoming the club we were when Jones emerged, never mind who we were in 1997/98 when Duff and Dunn were breaking through.

However, if this hollowed out operation can still have an academy that can churn out players of Travis’ quality on a regular basis then that’s fine by me.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It’s all about what and who we are as a club in 2020.

Unfortunately this regime has probably put paid to us ever again becoming the club we were when Jones emerged, never mind who we were in 1997/98 when Duff and Dunn were breaking through.

However, if this hollowed out club can still have an academy that can churn out players of Travis’ quality on a regular basis then that’s fine by me.

Indeed. It's all about the division we're in too. Nobody is saying they are as good as Duff and Dunn but we haven't produced as many potentially good ones for many, many years. Credit to Johnson/Mowbray for that and for Bowyer's regime before them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Butterworth, JRC, Buckley, Travis, Nyambe, Brennan, Wharton, Carter, Vale.  I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of (a young full-back called Garratt is meant to be very good). All potentially capable, by the looks of things, of playing in the league we are currently in. 

I realise your relentless negativity won't allow you to take any pleasure in anything Rovers related but those young lads will be the mainstay of the club over the next few years. I very much doubt there will be a club in our League who has as many Academy graduates as part of the the First Team squad as we do.

I only wish there was more to be positive about!

Out of those 9 mentioned, I think there will be only 1 regular starter (Travis) under Mowbray with JRC, Buckley and Nyambe in and out.

IMO, we are not producing 'cordon bleu' but 'bread and butter' at best.  This is evidenced by an apparent lack of any PL interest in any of the 'quality' players you refer to coming out of our Academy. 

• Like 1

If we are producing lads good enough for a midtable Championship team with the odd diamond that might be capable of higher then we can't ask much more at the min.

The academy system although it costs more has changed a lot since the days of Duff & Dunn etc as has the game. By and large they produce more athletic but more robotic players than before. Factor in the pull the club had way back to get these kids in compared to now it's a bit wide of the mark to compare.

A good set up and management would use 3 million per year well in the first team squad but it seems the idea here is to end up relying on the academy. Looks like it's finally doing its job at this level, be nice if they started concentrating on strikers as well though !

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

I only wish there was more to be positive about!

Out of those 9 mentioned, I think there will be only 1 regular starter (Travis) under Mowbray with JRC, Buckley and Nyambe in and out.

IMO, we are not producing 'cordon bleu' but 'bread and butter' at best.  This is evidenced by an apparent lack of any PL interest in any of the 'quality' players you refer to coming out of our Academy. 

Leicester signed one a year or so back. 

What's PL interest got to do with being good enough for the Championship. Hopefully you're aware they are different leagues. You also have no idea what interest there is in any of our players, You just stick to pronouncing imminent Administration/Liquidation every summer ?

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

If we are producing lads good enough for a midtable Championship team with the odd diamond that might be capable of higher then we can't ask much more at the min.

The academy system although it costs more has changed a lot since the days of Duff & Dunn etc as has the game. By and large they produce more athletic but more robotic players than before. Factor in the pull the club had way back to get these kids in compared to now it's a bit wide of the mark to compare.

A good set up and management would use 3 million per year well in the first team squad but it seems the idea here is to end up relying on the academy. Looks like it's finally doing its job at this level, be nice if they started concentrating on strikers as well though !

Butterworth and Vale?