BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

28 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You don't need strength to play his role. Its getting ridiculous people on about his stature, take it from someone who lifts heavy things, if our fitness lads felt he would benefit from bulking up they could easily do it

I'm not sure what his actual role is. But to play football at any decent level you need a certain degree of strength which at the moment Buckley doesn't have. It why he gets bullied off the ball and looks like a boy playing in a mans game. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Twas a little tongue in cheek.  It made me chuckle that you decided the bid would be for Dack because you'd rather lose him than Armstrong.  If we get to choose someone....

The striker link was squashed a few days ago, maybe I should be more specific in my posts but for logical reasons I think its Dack, 

• Like 1

Buckley reminds me a bit of a David Helliwell who came through Rovers' youth / reserves in late sixties and made about a dozen first team appearances.  Technically, a very gifted footballer but extremely light in build (think he was nicknamed 'Spiderman').  He simply wasn't strong enough and drifted off into the lower leagues and had a few seasons at Workington if I recall correctly.

Was talking to a friend only yesterday about Buckley and mentioned the Helliwell comparison and he seemed to recall Helliwell very sadly died some 20 years ago at an early age.

Some older posters will remember Helliwell.

Edited by Mercer

Using academy graduates who are still playing, we could put together a team looking like:  

Raya

Nyambe   Jones    Hanley    O'Connell

Hoilett   Travis    Gallagher   Mahoney

Judge

Derbyshire

Had to go a little further back for a couple of them, but they're all still playing and there are players like Lenihan who can't get in the team. Not including any of the current crop breaking through either. The academy is doing fine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Using academy graduates who are still playing, we could put together a team looking like:  

Raya

Nyambe   Jones    Hanley    O'Connell

Hoilett   Travis    Gallagher   Mahoney

Judge

Derbyshire

Had to go a little further back for a couple of them, but they're all still playing and there are players like Lenihan who can't get in the team. Not including any of the current crop breaking through either. The academy is doing fine. 

Derbyshire's 39 now isn't he?

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Currently playing -

Raya, O’Connell, Hanley, Tarkowski, Judge, Nyambe, Trav, Mahoney, Lenihan, Hoilett, Garner, Olsson, Pilkington, Gallagher, Fielding

Off the top of my head. Well above the average academy output surely.

I suppose it all depends on how you define players being produced by the academy. Personally I wouldn't class players like Travis, Raya, Lenihan, Pilkington and Hanley as players produced by our academy as they all joined from others clubs at the age 17 or 18. I'd personally class players like Hoillett, Garner and Buckley as players produced by our academy, as they are players who were in the academy from when they were school kids.

Personally I think the way for a club like us to go is to pick up players like Travis and JRC who don't quite make it at big Premier League clubs, but who have had the experience in a top academy and who we can then take on to develop for our level.

Edited by Ewood Ace

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

Derbyshire's 39 now isn't he?

Not quite! Him & Gally are stretching it slightly with being in their mid-30s, but how many teams can say that they have produced a full starting XI of players who were/are good level Championship players at the very least over a 10-12 year period?

Suppose Mahoney might be an exception to that, but I forgot Pilkington so we could just play him there instead.

26 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Buckley reminds me a bit of a David Helliwell who came through Rovers' youth / reserves in late sixties and made about a dozen first team appearances.  Technically, a very gifted footballer but extremely light in build (think he was nicknamed 'Spiderman').  He simply wasn't strong enough and drifted off into the lower leagues and had a few seasons at Workington if I recall correctly.

Was talking to a friend only yesterday about Buckley and mentioned the Helliwell comparison and he seemed to recall Helliwell very sadly died some 20 years ago at an early age.

Some older posters will remember Helliwell.

Yeah very talented lad, but as you say  very slight, thought he would have got a few more games in for Rovers, and yes died young middle fifties,btw his nickname was spider, couple of years older than Metcalfe Who had similar talent but probably a bit tougher than him.

9 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yeah very talented lad, but as you say  very slight, thought he would have got a few more games in for Rovers, and yes died young middle fifties,btw his nickname was spider, couple of years older than Metcalfe Who had similar talent but probably a bit tougher than him.

I mentioned David Helliwell when I first saw Buckley play. I remember Helliwell making his debut against Bristol City at Ewood back in the 1960's. He was playing in Bryan Douglas's old position in midfield and I'm pretty sure he was MOM that day. We all thought we'd discovered the new Dougie but it wasn't to be.  He was average height but really slender. You couldn't fault his ball skills and he'd a good eye for a pass, average pace but nicely two footed. The game in those days was much, much, more physical than it is now and he got physically over powered especially on heavy grounds. Today he would have had lot more protection from the officials. As you say Meccy had a bit of needle about him and if you kicked him you'd get one back, David was a more placid lad.

He played 16 games for Rovers scoring 1 goal - then had a short spell of 11 games at Lincoln followed by 197 games at Workington. He finished up by playing 20 games at Rochdale.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, briansol said:

Having watched Buckley dominating U-23 football against your Liverpool, Arsenal etc, I'm very confident that he has the talent and ability to become a great player for us. Several of the senior players have publicly said they are big fans of him (including Dack). 

I will agree he might need to fill up a bulk up a bit, but I think the biggest transition from U-23 football has been the tempo. You have less time on the ball which resulted in him playing himself into positions where he was outmuscled. There was improvement post-covid, and I think he is a type of player which just need time and experience to adapt. 

His best position will probably as an offensive midfielder or a deep 10. 

I don't get negativity on here. He is been at the club since 8, and probably the biggest offensive talent in a few years. Give him a chance without expecting him to be a world beater in his first season.

Modric is fine example on how a slight player can grow with experience.

I liked what I saw in the first 45 minutes yesterday. He looked to me like a good footballer who was being played in a position he's not a natural fit  for and he was using his intelligence in making the best of it. That's the sign of a good player to me. I can see why smarter guys than me rate him. I wonder how Modric would do out on the left hand side ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

You don't need strength to play his role. Its getting ridiculous people on about his stature, take it from someone who lifts heavy things, if our fitness lads felt he would benefit from bulking up they could easily do it

At this level or above you need strength or to be an absolute baller to play that role. Physically similar sized players would be David and Bernardo Silva, Modric, all harder to knock off the ball and winners of the very top honours in club and international football. 

Buckley isn't good enough to break into our starting 11 with the players here. If he's as good as some on here make him out to be(and which I hope to see someday) there should be no shortage of league 1 clubs prepared to start him week in ,week out in his best position. That's the best route for him now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

At this level or above you need strength or to be an absolute baller to play that role. Physically similar sized players would be David and Bernardo Silva, both harder to knock off the ball, both winners of the very top honours in club and international football. 

Buckley isn't good enough to break into our starting 11 with the players here. If he's as good as some on here make him out to be(and which I hope to see someday) there should be no shortage of league 1 clubs prepared to start him week in ,week out in his best position. 

I think that is a fair constructive point. 

11 minutes ago, briansol said:

Having watched Buckley dominating U-23 football against your Liverpool, Arsenal etc, I'm very confident that he has the talent and ability to become a great player for us. Several of the senior players have publicly said they are big fans of him (including Dack). 

I will agree he might need to fill up a bulk up a bit, but I think the biggest transition from U-23 football has been the tempo. You have less time on the ball which resulted in him playing himself into positions where he was outmuscled. There was improvement post-covid, and I think he is a type of player which just need time and experience to adapt. 

His best position will probably as an offensive midfielder or a deep 10. 

I don't get negativity on here. He is been at the club since 8, and probably the biggest offensive talent in a few years. Give him a chance without expecting him to be a world beater in his first season.

Modric is fine example on how a slight player can grow with experience.

Its not negativity to have expressed doubts about a players ability to play for the first team at the moment, nor is it down to an expectation for him to "be a world beater."

In the first team he hasnt shown really any signs that he is capable of being an effective player at this moment in time. He had one effective game at Charlton, beyond that he has struggled in the main.

I just dont see how he gets in the team at the moment or close to it. Doesnt mean that he wont in the future and maybe a loan spell and regular football is the best pathway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

At this level or above you need strength or to be an absolute baller to play that role. Physically similar sized players would be David and Bernardo Silva, Modric, all harder to knock off the ball and winners of the very top honours in club and international football. 

Buckley isn't good enough to break into our starting 11 with the players here. If he's as good as some on here make him out to be(and which I hope to see someday) there should be no shortage of league 1 clubs prepared to start him week in ,week out in his best position. That's the best route for him now. 

In fairness briansol makes a good point, the senior players rave about him and they see him every day.

He is definitely talented and the one match he played the ten role against Charlton he was very good.

• Like 1