BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

The thing with Buckley is he's not a 17 or 18 year old kid like say Bellingham at Birmingham was. He's nearly 21 and has had very little impact on the first team yet. There were players in the division last season of a similar age who had a much bigger impact for their club than Buckley did for us. If Buckley does get stronger then he could be a decent Championship player for us but he is not this £10 Million wonderkid that some on here seem to think.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The thing with Buckley is he's not a 17 or 18 year old kid like say Bellingham at Birmingham was. He's nearly 21 and has had very little impact on the first team yet. There were players in the division last season of a similar age who had a much bigger impact for their club than Buckley did for us. If Buckley does get stronger then he could be a decent Championship player for us but he is not this £10 Million wonderkid that some on here seem to think.

Thanks for your opinion pal. But I think I’ll go with the opinions of people who’ve been in the game all their life, the ones who work with him every day and those working for Premier League clubs who watch him regularly and are hugely impressed with him. ??

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In fairness briansol makes a good point, the senior players rave about him and they see him every day.

He is definitely talented and the one match he played the ten role against Charlton he was very good.

Bang on. RAVE 

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Thanks for your opinion pal. But I think I’ll go with the opinions of people who’ve been in the game all their life, the ones who work with him every day and those working for Premier League clubs who watch him regularly and are hugely impressed with him. ??

These clubs haven't signed him yet though have they. I wonder why? Given the money that Premiership clubs are awash with his fee would be chicken feed for them. One wonders if they really even exist. I personally would rather use my own eyes to judge someone rather go off what someone else tells me.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

These clubs haven't signed him yet though have they. I wonder why? Given the money that Premiership clubs are awash with his fee would be chicken feed for them. One wonders if they really even exist. I personally would rather use my own eyes to judge someone rather go off what someone else tells me.

Sound. Like I’ve said, I’ll sway to the opinions of people who do this for a living.  ??

• Like 1

A comparison for Buckley to me would be Mason Mount.

1 year difference in age, similar build and position on the pitch.

Mount was a regular in a Derby team that finished in the playoffs and last season was a regular back at Chelsea. 
Buckley doesn’t need to bulk up loads to make it. He needs some proper game time, on the pitch with Dack i.e a midfielder who can hold possession with him, and a bit of freedom. 
Unlikely he’ll get much of that under Mowbray IMO 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Sound. Like I’ve said, I’ll sway to the opinions of people who do this for a living.  ??

Firstly you have no idea what I did for a living

Secondly talking of people who do it for a living it is strange that Tony Mowbray has such a superstar on his books yet nearly at the age of 21 he has only started 5 league games.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Secondly talking of people who do it for a living it is strange that Tony Mowbray has such a superstar on his books yet nearly at the age of 21 he has only started 5 league games.

I wouldn’t say that’s strange at all, in fact it’s exactly what I’d expect from Mowbray...

”Harrison Reed needs to learn his trade from Richie Smallwood” anybody?

• Like 4

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18669991.rovers-transfer-news-latest-budget-defender-search/

Transfer latest. It's a journo face-off as Sharpe disagrees with Crooke and says we're after 2 CB's and they are both domestic transfers. 

Reminds me of this

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I’m pretty sure that you don’t / haven’t coached him for the last 5-10yrs unless it’s you Jonty!? ???

Like I said, i appreciate your opinion but for now I’ll go with my own options on this one ??

33 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Out of interest, if you are so keen to regularly state how your inside line to the real experts is the set of opinions that you tend to go off implicitly, and dismiss anyone on here because they arent experts, what purpose does coming on here even fulfill?

Whether you have heard through chinese whispers that Brockhall is essentially a John Buckley fan club or not, all you are going to find on here is people judging him on when they have seen him play for the first team. Which really is where it matters. 

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, if you are so keen to regularly state how your inside line to the real experts is the set of opinions that you tend to go off implicitly, and dismiss anyone on here because they arent experts, what purpose does coming on here even fulfill?

Whether you have heard through chinese whispers that Brockhall is essentially a John Buckley fan club or not, all you are going to find on here is people judging him on when they have seen him play for the first team. Which really is where it matters. 

I’m absolutely fine with your opinion. It’s you who seems affronted because I don’t share yours 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Buckley reminds me a bit of a David Helliwell who came through Rovers' youth / reserves in late sixties and made about a dozen first team appearances.  Technically, a very gifted footballer but extremely light in build (think he was nicknamed 'Spiderman').  He simply wasn't strong enough and drifted off into the lower leagues and had a few seasons at Workington if I recall correctly.

Was talking to a friend only yesterday about Buckley and mentioned the Helliwell comparison and he seemed to recall Helliwell very sadly died some 20 years ago at an early age.

Some older posters will remember Helliwell.

Yes, I remember David Helliwell. I felt a bit sorry for him because he was so skinny football didn't seem the right profession for him. Still, I'm surprised he only played 15 games (just checked) because I have such a distinct memory of him.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18669991.rovers-transfer-news-latest-budget-defender-search/

"While the budget will allow for cash signings, those are unlikely to stretch to seven-figure fees."

Seems we are very much limited in terms of the fees we can offer, very much at odds with any theories regarding Venkys signing off every cheques. It comes as little surprise and to be quite honest it is understandable to an extent. That being said, as I pointed out the other day, there is a way to go before our side is even on par with last season considering the losses of Adarabioyo, Downing and one or two others.

Apparently we want 2 from 3 domestic CB's, one of which is Lindsay on loan (which wouldnt be my preference) and the other 2 are permanent deals. Kipre is sadly too expensive. Whiteman is also too dear, a signing that never seemed realistic.

I dont think you are gonna get much for your money for under a million in England. Certainly not the solution to fixing our defence. I would suggest that the main 2 avenues could be like we are with Kaminski, a calculated gamble from abroad, where the prices may be lower, although that doesnt seem to be the case. Or the free agent market, there is some real quality there in Van Der Hoorn, Ayala, Lockyer etc, the first 2 are probably debatable in terms of wages but they would be ready made starters. 

I also think that Mowbray needs to compromise on his principles of how he wants to play. For example, 2 full backs always pushed on is asking for trouble.We need to prioritise solidity more than we have done so far.

• Like 6

Happy to hear that Mulgrew is leaving, been a great servant to the club but we just cannot afford to keep him, especially as he never plays. In terms of Williams I actually feel like he’s a very good squad player to have, he’s a decent back up centre half and can do a job at left back, however if the fee is decent then I could understand why we would let him go, heard that there’s interest from MLS.

Seems that there is genuine interest in Kipre, we may just struggle with the fee unfortunately, one to keep an eye on maybe. Glad to hear that we’re actually focusing our finances on our backline for a change.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m absolutely fine with your opinion. It’s you who seems affronted because I don’t share yours 

I dont know what your opinion is on Buckley, all you do is repeatedly portray those of the "experts" and use it as a stick to antagonise.

You once laughed at a poster who was a regular watching the under 23s who suggested that Mols was better than Buckley, despite then admitting that you had never seen Mols play!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Like I said, i appreciate your opinion but for now I’ll go with my own options on this one ??

So why has Mowbray (who you are a big backer of) only given him 5 league starts, given he is such a talent?

Also why haven't any of these Premiership clubs (if they exist) put a bid in for him if they watch him regularly and are hugely impressed with him, as you allege?

You carry on listening to your chums but I'll judge him with my eyes and so far he has looked like a boy in a man's game whenever he has played. As I said on here earlier unless he can strengthen his upper body he could quite easily be playing non-league in a few years time. There a lot of players like Buckley plying their trade down there, players who have come through good academy's are technically good but go missing when it gets physical as they cannot handle that side of the game. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You once laughed at a poster who was a regular watching the under 23s who suggested that Mols was better than Buckley, despite then admitting that you had never seen Mols play!

That was me. Mols is twice the player can't understand why he's not been even mentioned in getting a game. Must have turned a drizzle cake down

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

"The one loan deal that Rovers could consider is a move for long-term target Liam Lindsay, who is out of favour at Stoke City and didn’t feature in their weekend friendly with Burton Albion. However, reports in the national press say Huddersfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday are interested in the 24-year-old Scot."

This paragraph is a reason I love this board...

Half will read that he is out of favour at Stoke and deem him "not good enough for us either". (Samba quote pending)

The other half will see him linked to two rivals in Huddersfield and Sheff Wed and be "furious" if he went to them and we pissed around and didn't pull the trigger on him first. (McGinn quote pending)

?

I imagine some will do both. Anything to fit a narrative...