BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Buckley reminds me a bit of a David Helliwell who came through Rovers' youth / reserves in late sixties and made about a dozen first team appearances.  Technically, a very gifted footballer but extremely light in build (think he was nicknamed 'Spiderman').  He simply wasn't strong enough and drifted off into the lower leagues and had a few seasons at Workington if I recall correctly.

Was talking to a friend only yesterday about Buckley and mentioned the Helliwell comparison and he seemed to recall Helliwell very sadly died some 20 years ago at an early age.

Some older posters will remember Helliwell.

Nearest player stature wise for me would be Scott Sellars.   He did ok but played wide.  It might be that Buckley remains a slight player - in which case he needs to learn the dark arts of buying free kicks -  watch plenty of old  videos of Xavi in his Barca days. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

On a separate note, must be a few happy campers. Sharpe reckons Mulgrew AND Williams going. So we’re targeting two cbs...

Any take or tales on why Delboy has fallen so out of favor after seemingly being one of the clique for a long time ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Nearest plater stature wise for me would be Scott Sellars.   He did ok but played wide.  It might be that Buckley remains a slight player - in which case he needs to learn the dark arts of buying free kicks -  watch plenty of old  videos of Xavi in his Barca days. 

When you watch back old vids Sellars came inside an awful lot imo.  He was a good tricky winger but didn't always play traditional wide wingers role.

Cracking little player one of my all time favs.

• Like 7

Just now, tomphil said:

Any take or tales on why Delboy has fallen so out of favor after seemingly being one of the clique for a long time ?

Prob lost patience with him in terms of fitness. Contrary to others on here I think he’s a decent back up CB but no use if he’s always injured.

• Like 4

Just now, tomphil said:

When you watch back old vids Sellars came inside an awful lot imo.  He was a good tricky winger but didn't always play traditional wide wingers role.

Sellars was CLASS!! Loved him

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Prob lost patience with him in terms of fitness. Contrary to others on here I think he’s a decent back up CB but no use if he’s always injured.

I'd have no issues with him as back up left back stroke back up CH.  I think defensively he's better than Bell but offers no pace or anything attack wise.

Strikes me as the type who wants to play though so he must have something lined up.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Seem to remember that there were some rumblings about Williams going to the MLS a while back, maybe they've resurfaced?

Agree with those who're saying he's perfectly serviceable backup, but if he wants to go then there's nothing gained in standing in his way.

What was obvious even from the Fleetwood game is that his distribution is fairly woeful, especially his shorter passing.

'Fuck off Derrick' as Tony might say.

• Like 4

On a separate note, must be a few happy campers. Sharpe reckons Mulgrew AND Williams going. So we’re targeting two cbs...

This is great news. Sharpe tweeted that we are targeting 2 GK, 2 CB, 1 LB which for my money is exactly right. 

If we can sign real quality and can keep the squad together that would kick us on and make us genuine playoff challengers.

Only quibble I would have is he said once we fill the above we may look at midfielders. But for me after the GK/defence next stop should bringing in an improved striker and get one of Brereton and Gallagher out the door 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Fantastic little player could turn a full back inside out and could put the ball on the proverbial sixpence as fans we all thought he was great .. Dalglish on the other hand preferred a Wilcox.. ? but what do we know eh ?

• Like 1

Think Williams was always look to move on if he wasn't going to play. At 27 years old, he doesn't want to be squad player I would imagine wants to play regular

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18669991.rovers-transfer-news-latest-budget-defender-search/

"While the budget will allow for cash signings, those are unlikely to stretch to seven-figure fees."

Seems we are very much limited in terms of the fees we can offer, very much at odds with any theories regarding Venkys signing off every cheques. It comes as little surprise and to be quite honest it is understandable to an extent. That being said, as I pointed out the other day, there is a way to go before our side is even on par with last season considering the losses of Adarabioyo, Downing and one or two others.

Apparently we want 2 from 3 domestic CB's, one of which is Lindsay on loan (which wouldnt be my preference) and the other 2 are permanent deals. Kipre is sadly too expensive. Whiteman is also too dear, a signing that never seemed realistic.

I dont think you are gonna get much for your money for under a million in England. Certainly not the solution to fixing our defence. I would suggest that the main 2 avenues could be like we are with Kaminski, a calculated gamble from abroad, where the prices may be lower, although that doesnt seem to be the case. Or the free agent market, there is some real quality there in Van Der Hoorn, Ayala, Lockyer etc, the first 2 are probably debatable in terms of wages but they would be ready made starters. 

There are players around who would could sign for under million and would good/decent additions. Isn't Lockyer under contract at Charlton till 2021 so how would he be free agent? Wonder if we have scouted Sheffield Wednesday centre back Joost Van Aken(26 years old) who was on loan at Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2, Taylor Moore(23 years old) at Bristol City(Value at 720k on Transfermarkt and says only 1 year contract left on Contract), Oxford defender Elliott Moore(23 years old) or Sunderland defender Jordan Willis(25 years old) who was at Coventry under Mowbray. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You once laughed at a poster who was a regular watching the under 23s who suggested that Mols was better than Buckley, despite then admitting that you had never seen Mols play!

Mols is 21 years old and never played here in the league or been on loan. Its time he move on and play regular

1 hour ago, John Siddens said:

You are obviously clueless about goalkeeping. 2 bad kicks in a game where a lad hasn't played for months. You would rather have Hilton play when he is currently behind an 18 year old. 

Any mention of the throw over half way to set up an attack? Anymention  of the cutting out attacks, ?

Was it his best performance? no clearly not. Maybe you should check the error our new keeper made last season?

Criticism of our young players on the first game back is lame. Get behind them.

Far from clueless about goalkeeping since I used to play that positions during my school years. Always enjoyed playing that position. 

my criticism was abit OTT but he needs to be playing regular first team football and he has been on 2 loans last season and never played. He needs regular football. Would you not agree with? 

I think Hilton is far better keeper than Fisher will ever be. But Hilton is another thats need 1st team regular for a season aswell. 

I have seen the error our new keeper has made last season and I thought what a dumbass but I have seen a lot of clips of good saves, good distribution and catching the ball. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Far from clueless about goalkeeping since I used to play that positions during my school years. Always enjoyed playing that position. 

my criticism was abit OTT but he needs to be playing regular first team football and he has been on 2 loans last season and never played. He needs regular football. Would you not agree with? 

I think Hilton is far better keeper than Fisher will ever be. But Hilton is another thats need 1st team regular for a season aswell. 

I have seen the error our new keeper has made last season and I thought what a dumbass but I have seen a lot of clips of good saves, good distribution and catching the ball. 

Why don't you drop Mowbray your CV.

I would think you'd be no worse than the kid Benson as goalie coach and you could also augment the scouting staff.

After a couple of years Chaddy, you might be ready for DOF.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Why don't you drop Mowbray your CV.

I would think you'd be no worse than the kid Benson as goalie coach and you could also augment the scouting staff.

After a couple of years Chaddy, you might be ready for DOF.

Sure we won't have a club in a couple of years.IYO the Owners are pulling the plug 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJW said:

Fantastic little player could turn a full back inside out and could put the ball on the proverbial sixpence as fans we all thought he was great .. Dalglish on the other hand preferred a Wilcox.. ? but what do we know eh ?

Kenny wanted straight up and downers out wide and traditional center forwards but i'm sure Scotty could still have provided and great viable alternative in the squad.  That was a manager with a plan and he was sticking too it, rare breed at Ewood these days.

They did right by him though he got a good move and went on to do well at top level which shows it was a miracle we managed to hold onto him so long. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think Williams was always look to move on if he wasn't going to play. At 27 years old, he doesn't want to be squad player I would imagine wants to play regular

There are players around who would could sign for under million and would good/decent additions. Isn't Lockyer under contract at Charlton till 2021 so how would he be free agent? Wonder if we have scouted Sheffield Wednesday centre back Joost Van Aken(26 years old) who was on loan at Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2, Taylor Moore(23 years old) at Bristol City(Value at 720k on Transfermarkt and says only 1 year contract left on Contract), Oxford defender Elliott Moore(23 years old) or Sunderland defender Jordan Willis(25 years old) who was at Coventry under Mowbray. 

Mols is 21 years old and never played here in the league or been on loan. Its time he move on and play regular

In this day and age, the most important attributes for a goalkeeper to have are confidence, positioning and ball skills. Watching clips on YouTube doesn't for one minute tell the full story about the lad Kaminski. Obviously he has been scouted for some time and hopefully has shown the qualities needed. 

7 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You asked about Prem interest, not a 'Phil Jones type' sale'? Stop moving the goalposts when you're proved wrong. It just looks bad?

Nyambe, Travis, Lenihan already regulars. JRC, Buckley already established squad players. Butterworth to break through properly this season to join them. That's an excellent quota of Academy lads when compared with every other club in the Championship.

Facts are facts. You're just offering a jaundiced opinion based on nothing of any consequence. 

and sold Raya for £3 million

45 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You'd think there would be a reason? Interesting!

There usually has to be one here beyond just not being up to it there's a few examples. Alternatively even if you aren't but the gaffer and lads like you then you can rest easy.

I think Mowbray is very fair to most players in terms of getting some sort of action even if they are shoehorned in rather than filling their spot. 

Maybe he's finally getting ruthless  but by stealth waiting for an excuse to freeze out rather than just weild the axe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Looks can be deceiving sometimes he might be a right hard little git.

Can be as hard as nails but if a puff of wind can blow you over.................

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

In this day and age, the most important attributes for a goalkeeper to have are confidence, positioning and ball skills. Watching clips on YouTube doesn't for one minute tell the full story about the lad Kaminski. Obviously he has been scouted for some time and hopefully has shown the qualities needed. 

But never said its tell the full story tho. 

I'm just pleased that the European scouting network is working and hoping for a couple more signings