BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Kenny wanted straight up and downers out wide and traditional center forwards but i'm sure Scotty could still have provided and great viable alternative in the squad.  That was a manager with a plan and he was sticking too it, rare breed at Ewood these days.

They did right by him though he got a good move and went on to do well at top level which shows it was a miracle we managed to hold onto him so long. 

He was brilliant under Keegan. set up Andy Cole countless times. Probably my fave ever Rover. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think Williams was always look to move on if he wasn't going to play. At 27 years old, he doesn't want to be squad player I would imagine wants to play regular

There are players around who would could sign for under million and would good/decent additions. Isn't Lockyer under contract at Charlton till 2021 so how would he be free agent? Wonder if we have scouted Sheffield Wednesday centre back Joost Van Aken(26 years old) who was on loan at Osnabruck in Bundesliga 2, Taylor Moore(23 years old) at Bristol City(Value at 720k on Transfermarkt and says only 1 year contract left on Contract), Oxford defender Elliott Moore(23 years old) or Sunderland defender Jordan Willis(25 years old) who was at Coventry under Mowbray. 

Mols is 21 years old and never played here in the league or been on loan. Its time he move on and play regular

Far from clueless about goalkeeping since I used to play that positions during my school years. Always enjoyed playing that position. 

my criticism was abit OTT but he needs to be playing regular first team football and he has been on 2 loans last season and never played. He needs regular football. Would you not agree with? 

I think Hilton is far better keeper than Fisher will ever be. But Hilton is another thats need 1st team regular for a season aswell. 

I have seen the error our new keeper has made last season and I thought what a dumbass but I have seen a lot of clips of good saves, good distribution and catching the ball. 

Ton Lockyer has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for free upon Charltons relegation. Has been drawing interest from the Championship. Whether he is good enough for a team with supposed play off intentions who need to replace Adarabioyo, unsure about that, I think we would need an Ayala or Van Der Hoorn to adequately replace him, but Lockyer could be worth a look for a club on a budget, impressed at Charlton in spite of their relegation and has been capped 10 times by Wales.

You have mentioned that there are players under a million, but are any of them players good enough for the Championship, never mind a club wanting top 6? And a club who have just lost Adarabioyo? Moore is unwanted by Bristol City and was loaned to League 1. Willis is a league 1 player, Sunderlands best defender was Bailey Wright who was available on a free, again who probably isnt Championship top half material. Van Aken was unwanted by Sheffield Wednesday. And Moore, why didnt he play that often for League 1 Oxford? We need better than these players.

That is why I suggested either at least one of the 2 CBs being another calculated gamble from abroad, where there could be more value. Kaminski's previous errors mean there is an element of risk bringing him in, we are totally unsure of how he will turn out, but failing a Westwood or a Marshall who I think would have provided some consistency, at least we havent resorted to getting a kid ie Muric on loan which I was against the idea of. Hopefully there are some bargains across Europe.

The other avenue would be the free agent market as I said. It may mean signing a player at the higher end of the wage bill (somewhat offset by a lack of fee) but someone like Ayala and Van Der Hoorn would also bring leadership and experience to a squad which has lost the likes of Graham and Downing. If we was to get one of the 2 CBs on loan, I think there surely are far better options compared to Lindsay. Maybe someone like Miazga who did well on loan at Reading?

With little money, I think it puts more emphasis on thinking outside the box.

28 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

In this day and age, the most important attributes for a goalkeeper to have are confidence, positioning and ball skills. Watching clips on YouTube doesn't for one minute tell the full story about the lad Kaminski. Obviously he has been scouted for some time and hopefully has shown the qualities needed. 

It is ok for the likes of Ederson and Alisson to be brilliant with their feet, ultimately that is on top of otherwise excellent goalkeeping skills. I dont think ball playing skills should be near the top of our priority list. We need someone who is consistent and dependable, making few mistakes.

Edited by roversfan99

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Can be as hard as nails but if a puff of wind can blow you over.................

True but that's the present day game for you they don't have to ride the tackles and aggression they used to.  Besides isn't he just being touted to play with the kids for now ?

On 22/08/2020 at 12:36, islander200 said:

We have agreed a 500k fee for a goalkeeper.Medical due on Monday according to reports

Good but it's thekeeper any good we hope so but that sounds cheap to be our number one keeper

Just now, bringdunnback said:

Imagine being sat at a keyboard discussing a teenagers appearance. ??

Anyway.... I'm relatively pleased with the transfer priorities. Time for the academy lads to step up further up the pitch. Just hope we avoid long term injuries which we've suffered dreadfully with the past few seasons. 

My fear in attacking areas is that we are putting too much responsibility on the academy lads. We have Armstrong who will score goals, and we have Dack who will miss the start of the season. Aside from that, not seeing that much in the way of goals. Holtby might get a few but injuries and the question of where does he play make that questionable. Gallagher isnt the best. Brereton, 2 dead rubber goals in 2 years. Rothwell, flatters to deceive. Chapman, has played a few cameos in a few years, not a favourite of the manager. Rankin Costello and Buckley, not yet established. Theres a lot of ifs buts and maybes beyond our 2 main attacking players.

I think we could probably do with a player in attacking areas if we can, ideally out wide, even if it is a loan.

The likes of Butterworth (who himself isnt fit) and Vale etc should be treat as bonus players. Great if they contribute but we dont know if they are ready and as such we cannot expect much from them.

• Like 4

I'd be satisfied with a GK, DC and DL brought in if our budget is minimum.

Ideally downing signs on, we get a experienced striker and another DC and back up GK but if we address the above first i'm fairly comfortable our academy lot can start filling bin the gaps.

Edited by bboy

I'd put the Downing money to use elsewhere now he was decent for parts of last season but we can manage without him. If they are going for a transition to youth then prioritise the money for weak areas not luxuries.

• Like 4

Must admit I'm wary of our attacking threat without Dack or Armstrong.

But from the rest, out of Gallagher, Brereton, Chapman, Rothwell, Holtby, Buckley, Butterworth, Vale and Dolan; 2 or 3 of them need to step up and prove they are Championship players minimum, contributing every game.

Mowbray needs to weed out those who can't cut it. Out of all those, Rothwell, imo, is lucky to be still in and around the first team. I'm no longer enthused when he's on the pitch and don't trust that he can make an impact in the final third.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ton Lockyer has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for free upon Charltons relegation. Has been drawing interest from the Championship. Whether he is good enough for a team with supposed play off intentions who need to replace Adarabioyo, unsure about that, I think we would need an Ayala or Van Der Hoorn to adequately replace him, but Lockyer could be worth a look for a club on a budget, impressed at Charlton in spite of their relegation and has been capped 10 times by Wales.

You have mentioned that there are players under a million, but are any of them players good enough for the Championship, never mind a club wanting top 6? And a club who have just lost Adarabioyo? Moore is unwanted by Bristol City and was loaned to League 1. Willis is a league 1 player, Sunderlands best defender was Bailey Wright who was available on a free, again who probably isnt Championship top half material. Van Aken was unwanted by Sheffield Wednesday. And Moore, why didnt he play that often for League 1 Oxford? We need better than these players.

That is why I suggested either at least one of the 2 CBs being another calculated gamble from abroad, where there could be more value. Kaminski's previous errors mean there is an element of risk bringing him in, we are totally unsure of how he will turn out, but failing a Westwood or a Marshall who I think would have provided some consistency, at least we havent resorted to getting a kid ie Muric on loan which I was against the idea of. Hopefully there are some bargains across Europe.

The other avenue would be the free agent market as I said. It may mean signing a player at the higher end of the wage bill (somewhat offset by a lack of fee) but someone like Ayala and Van Der Hoorn would also bring leadership and experience to a squad which has lost the likes of Graham and Downing. If we was to get one of the 2 CBs on loan, I think there surely are far better options compared to Lindsay. Maybe someone like Miazga who did well on loan at Reading?

With little money, I think it puts more emphasis on thinking outside the box.

It is ok for the likes of Ederson and Alisson to be brilliant with their feet, ultimately that is on top of otherwise excellent goalkeeping skills. I dont think ball playing skills should be near the top of our priority list. We need someone who is consistent and dependable, making few mistakes.

I agree but if you can have a keeper that can set an attack going from his ball playing skills then that is a huge bonus. My two lads are goalkeepers and so much emphasis is placed upon passing and being able to use both feet. Shot stopping and positioning should come as mandatory for anybody wanting to call themselves a keeper. Think we were loaned a right dud last year! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

Must admit I'm wary of our attacking threat without Dack or Armstrong.

But from the rest, out of Gallagher, Brereton, Chapman, Rothwell, Holtby, Buckley, Butterworth, Vale and Dolan; 2 or 3 of them need to step up and prove they are Championship players minimum, contributing every game.

Mowbray needs to weed out those who can't cut it. Out of all those, Rothwell, imo, is lucky to be still in and around the first team. I'm no longer enthused when he's on the pitch and don't trust that he can make an impact in the final third.

You forgot to add JRC into that mix.

9 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I agree but if you can have a keeper that can set an attack going from his ball playing skills then that is a huge bonus. My two lads are goalkeepers and so much emphasis is placed upon passing and being able to use both feet. Shot stopping and positioning should come as mandatory for anybody wanting to call themselves a keeper. Think we were loaned a right dud last year! 

I think bonus is the key word. The further down you go and when having the full package isnt possible, a goalkeeper with excellent ball playing skills becomes less important.

Walton was poor and whilst he was frustratingly slow with his distribution, it was the repeated errors that were the main problem.

Bialkowski is one of the best keepers in the league. Nothing flash, hardly a lite version of Ederson. But makes very few mistakes, very reliable, and very understated.

All keepers are good shot stoppers. Often the best keepers are the ones that get little attention because they arent making mistakes.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

In fairness briansol makes a good point, the senior players rave about him and they see him every day.

He is definitely talented and the one match he played the ten role against Charlton he was very good.

I'm sure they do rate him, he looks tidy at times, but do you really think that would say if they didn't? ? 

If he stays around like it looks like he will he will have to play and when he does he needs to be stronger on the ball to be really effective. 

It would be great if he had a break out season 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I can literally see his ribs through his jersey. I didn't think that was possible.

Those legs too...makes Buckley look like Conor McGregor.

Ya,but he's 2 inches taller heightwise than Buckley , that makes a difference. Trousers are ridiculous though. I couldn't find a leg circumference ?

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My fear in attacking areas is that we are putting too much responsibility on the academy lads. We have Armstrong who will score goals, and we have Dack who will miss the start of the season. Aside from that, not seeing that much in the way of goals. Holtby might get a few but injuries and the question of where does he play make that questionable. Gallagher isnt the best. Brereton, 2 dead rubber goals in 2 years. Rothwell, flatters to deceive. Chapman, has played a few cameos in a few years, not a favourite of the manager. Rankin Costello and Buckley, not yet established. Theres a lot of ifs buts and maybes beyond our 2 main attacking players.

I think we could probably do with a player in attacking areas if we can, ideally out wide, even if it is a loan.

The likes of Butterworth (who himself isnt fit) and Vale etc should be treat as bonus players. Great if they contribute but we dont know if they are ready and as such we cannot expect much from them.

If we do a proper job with the defence, we won't need to score three every week to win. Less pressure on the strikers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If we do a proper job with the defence, we won't need to score three every week to win. Less pressure on the strikers. 

We have 2 goalscorers whereby if we put more focus on organisation and we improved the defence sufficiently, we could have a winning formula. My worry is that Mowbray has too much emphasis on a certain way of playing with inside forwards and both full backs pushed right up, and defenders signed more for their passing ability that I am unconvinced that we are going to concede considerably less goals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We have 2 goalscorers whereby if we put more focus on organisation and we improved the defence sufficiently, we could have a winning formula. My worry is that Mowbray has too much emphasis on a certain way of playing with inside forwards and both full backs pushed right up, and defenders signed more for their passing ability that I am unconvinced that we are going to concede considerably less goals.

It's very dependent on how the keeper goes. It's been part of a larger problem with the defence, but if we had someone better last season, we might have made the play-offs 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's very dependent on how the keeper goes. It's been part of a larger problem with the defence, but if we had someone better last season, we might have made the play-offs 

I dont think that we would have made the play offs even with a better keeper but you are right regarding the importance of Kaminski being an upgrade on Walton.

We have to remember that we have lost Adarabioyo and Downing and will struggle to replace them with someone as good, in regards to even having a squad on par with last season. Goalkeeper is a position whereby there is certainly scope for improvement in regards to replacing the inadequate Walton, lets hope Kaminski is the answer and we fix the defence in spite of seemingly a smaller budget.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree.  He needs to be pragmatic.  Ditching the wide forwards for natural wide players would help. Then the full backs dont need to push up as much.  

• Like 1