BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray's quotes don't read to me that he has been offered a deal.

I can definitely see where you're coming from in terms of his quotes, but given that the club site (when the retained list was released) and several LET articles & tweets refer to him being offered a deal, I think it's safe to assume he has been. It may well be the case that given the current circumstances (COVID & the budget limitations we appear to have) we've offered him a deal on terms lower than he was anticipating, so he's keeping his options open. I'm taking Mowbray's comments that Downing may still sign that deal - but they aren't necessarily expecting him to - and if they get to a stage where they've done their business in defence, they could look to offer him improved terms should he still be available and we have the budget to do so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

“He needs another two or three weeks and then maybe we can arrange some games behind closed doors for him.

“Another month, six weeks, maybe he’ll be back into the team.”

So in 3 weeks he can fully train and start playing friendlies etc. That Forest game is in close to 8 weeks, and Mowbray said in a month to 6 weeks, maybe he can be back in the team. Hardly an unrealistic ambition.

Hes got 3 more weeks of non contact training so that's the week of the start of the season. 

Let's see how he is after properly contact training. 

I dont think we should get our hopes up yet

Interesting, it does sound as though there’s no offer on the table for Downing at the moment. With the pace at which we get signings done, I’d imagine Downing would have to wait until deadline day to see if we can offer him a new deal or not. In other words, he won’t be coming back here. 

I personally think that’s a big blow. I thought he was excellent last season and one of our best players. 

Edited by rovers11

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think he will only miss potentially 4 games, then there is a 2 game break before the Forest game at Home on the 17th October. Which is the weekend Preston have mentioned getting fans in all being well. Sadly Rovers have been dismal with communication as always but it would be great if there was a possibility of fans allowed back in, and Dack back for that game,

I think you might be dreaming with that second sentence sadly! Seems like we cannot afford especially Kipre.

it could have somthing to do with blackburn being back in lock down so it will a bit longer before fans back in

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

If the money is tight and the choice is between a defender and Downing, I don't think there is a choice to be made 

Whilst I think we'll miss Downing more than some are saying, you're undoubtedly right. Fortunately it looks as though this is how Mowbray sees it too.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

But yet we want another 4 signings. Can't be that's tight as you suggest

That's why we should withdraw the contract from him as it's another Rodwell situation all over another. 

And Rodwell has just signed a Premier league contract with Sheffield United. ?

14 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Whilst I think we'll miss Downing more than some are saying, you're undoubtedly right. Fortunately it looks as though this is how Mowbray sees it too.

Downing is great at helping us keep possession. However, we are crapper in terms of results when we have possession.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18672271.mowbray-downing-dack-rovers-transfer-priorities/

“Top end of the pitch we think we can score goals this year and we have to get it right at the other end.”

I think Mowbray pretty much sums it up there. 

About time he realised what most fans have known for a while. Defence needs strengthening.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Le Saux, probably the best LB we've seen in an age

Shearer undoubtably top striker, followed by Garner, Bellamy, Benni and Roque

Batty was seriously under rated and probably the best CM we've had in 25 years, after the Turkish delight, obviously

Friedel enough said.

Sherwood