BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

29 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18672271.mowbray-downing-dack-rovers-transfer-priorities/

“Top end of the pitch we think we can score goals this year and we have to get it right at the other end.”

I think Mowbray pretty much sums it up there. 

The trouble is that I don't believe our defensive issues are solely down to personnel. I think a large part of it is poor tactics and coaching. I don't think Mowbray is capable of stopping us conceding. His teams have always struggled at the back.

Reading Mowbray's comments on Downing I think it is clear that he hasn't been made a serious offer and I expect someone else will snap him up. It seems Mowbray's plan is to further slash the wage bill by releasing him, try to address the gaping holes at the back and then if there's some cash left over see if he's still available. 

Whilst I agree that defence and goalkeeper require urgent priority on funds and efforts i do worry that releasing Downing, Graham, Samuel and Smallwood without bringing anyone in is a gamble.

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Were you expecting to sign for them?!

Good player Hugill but a bit rich for our tastes. I'd imagine his wages are way out of our league. Shame though, he's quality on his day. 

We could have bought him for 7-8m a couple of seasons back and be up now.....apart from our shit defence but i think you get my drift.  

• Backroom

I see Jamal Blackman has gone on loan to Rotherham for a year 

He showed great potential a season or two back but falls into that awkward category of still being loaned out and expecting game time but probably not quite good enough to cement down the number one spot.

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Interesting, it does sound as though there’s no offer on the table for Downing at the moment. With the pace at which we get signings done, I’d imagine Downing would have to wait until deadline day to see if we can offer him a new deal or not. In other words, he won’t be coming back here. 

I personally think that’s a big blow. I thought he was excellent last season and one of our best players. 

Strange how we see things. I thought he got steadily worse post Christmas.  Rather his wage went elsewhere. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The trouble is that I don't believe our defensive issues are solely down to personnel. I think a large part of it is poor tactics and coaching. I don't think Mowbray is capable of stopping us conceding. His teams have always struggled at the back.

Reading Mowbray's comments on Downing I think it is clear that he hasn't been made a serious offer and I expect someone else will snap him up. It seems Mowbray's plan is to further slash the wage bill by releasing him, try to address the gaping holes at the back and then if there's some cash left over see if he's still available. 

Whilst I agree that defence and goalkeeper require urgent priority on funds and efforts i do worry that releasing Downing, Graham, Samuel and Smallwood without bringing anyone in is a gamble.

Really? Whatever about Downing and possibly Graham, are you actually serious about the other 2, like really? Think about it...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Really? Whatever about Downing and possibly Graham, are you actually serious about the other 2, like really? Think about it...

I'm not bothered about Graham and Downing going either. In that respect being especially skint might actually have done us a favour as in more normal circumstances Tone would no doubt have been busting a gut to give them new deals

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not bothered about Graham and Downing going either. In that respect being especially skint might actually have done us a favour as in more normal circumstances Tone would no doubt have been busting a gut to give them new deals

I don't know about Graham. He wasn't used much last year and looked a bit past it when he did. 

I'm sure if there was more money he would offer Downing a deal alright. I wouldn't be against having him around ,as a bench option. Good pro to have around for the younger players. Not many in the squad who have won stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't know about Graham. He wasn't used much last year and looked a bit past it when he did. 

I'm sure if there was more money he would offer Downing a deal alright. I wouldn't be against having him around ,as a bench option. Good pro to have around for the younger players. Not many in the squad who have won stuff. 

I would say Downing was in our top 5 performers last season so would definitely retain him. Obviously Tony is a huge fan.

It's very odd that deal hasn't happened. Maybe his agent wants two years but we will only offer one? But that would be crazily ambitious from him. Or maybe an embargo on signing players without resale value?

Anyone know?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Hmm you’ve banged on about sorting goalie and defence out, but now saying it’s not down to personnel but bad coaching, let’s see who he brings in and go from there.

Never thought you saying Smallwood/ Samuel going is a gamble, we need to offload the dead wood to bring in more players, bit of wheeling  and dealing, thought Mowbray explained the plan pretty good Having a limited budget.

Are you still adamant we won’t pay a transfer fee for a keeper and c/b?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Pretty happy with Mowbrays comments. Seems like our recruitment is geared towards the defence where it's desperately needed.

If we get the defenders we need and there is enough room to bring Downing in, i'd be happy enough for him to come back.

Sound bites can be amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclancssport/status/1124022855061184515?lang=en

Jokes aside right comments but fool me once...

• Like 1