BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, bboy said:

Sound bites can be amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclancssport/status/1124022855061184515?lang=en

Jokes aside right comments but fool me once...

Very reminiscent of what he said in Blues in Feb 2019.

IMO, a bullsh1tter.  

Sadly, I think many are taken in by Mowbray including Pune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would say Downing was in our top 5 performers last season so would definitely retain him. Obviously Tony is a huge fan.

It's very odd that deal hasn't happened. Maybe his agent wants two years but we will only offer one? But that would be crazily ambitious from him. Or maybe an embargo on signing players without resale value?

Anyone know?

Ya,good point. Maybe 

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would say Downing was in our top 5 performers last season so would definitely retain him. Obviously Tony is a huge fan.

It's very odd that deal hasn't happened. Maybe his agent wants two years but we will only offer one? But that would be crazily ambitious from him. Or maybe an embargo on signing players without resale value?

Anyone know?

Maybe he has offers of two year deals elsewhere and what we have offered is considerably less than last season. I would keep anyway,if possible. 

2 hours ago, unsall said:

Hmm you’ve banged on about sorting goalie and defence out, but now saying it’s not down to personnel but bad coaching, let’s see who he brings in and go from there.

Never thought you saying Smallwood/ Samuel going is a gamble, we need to offload the dead wood to bring in more players, bit of wheeling  and dealing, thought Mowbray explained the plan pretty good Having a limited budget.

Are you still adamant we won’t pay a transfer fee for a keeper and c/b?

I think we need new personnel to address the defence, but I suspect that signing better players is only half the story. 

I agree we need to offload the deadwood in order to improve the squad. But I don't think getting shut of midfielders and forwards to sign replacements for Tosin and Walton is necessarily the way to do it. 

I don't rate either of them but if injuries come, which they will, then we do need options and experience to come off the bench. With no Downing back, Samuel gone, Graham gone, I do wonder what the plan is.

It seems to me right now Mowbray's grand plan is to save a bomb on wages from Smallwood, Hart, Walton, Tosin, Downing, Samuel and Graham, an estimated £80,000 per week minimum, so we can sign a keeper on perhaps 10% of that amount and then borrow a couple of others to fill the gaps. Lets wait and see who actually arrives before anything else.

I've been adamant for some time that we've adopted a policy of not investing in defence and GK. Maybe that policy has changed, or maybe offloading so many players has freed up the necessary cash internally to enable a signing without the need for Venky approval. 

We certainly need more than one though so I'll hang fire on the party poppers and balloons until we've signed the defenders and end up with a squad as good as last season, never mind better.

Edited by JHRover

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Very reminiscent of what he said in Blues in Feb 2019.

IMO, a bullsh1tter.  

Sadly, I think many are taken in by Mowbray including Pune.

reminds me of an old mate who used to brag he was going pull a bird whenever we were in town and ended up at the godfather,sat on the wall,eating his kebab at 2.00am?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

reminds me of an old mate who used to brag he was going pull a bird whenever we were in town and ended up at the godfather,sat on the wall,eating his kebab at 2.00am?

Mowbray fucks off home before the "ten to two, anyone will do" phase, picks a last minute one up on Darwen street

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think we need new personnel to address the defence, but I suspect that signing better players is only half the story. 

I agree we need to offload the deadwood in order to improve the squad. But I don't think getting shut of midfielders and forwards to sign replacements for Tosin and Walton is necessarily the way to do it. 

I don't rate either of them but if injuries come, which they will, then we do need options and experience to come off the bench. With no Downing back, Samuel gone, Graham gone, I do wonder what the plan is.

It seems to me right now Mowbray's grand plan is to save a bomb on wages from Smallwood, Hart, Walton, Tosin, Downing, Samuel and Graham, an estimated £80,000 per week minimum, so we can sign a keeper on perhaps 10% of that amount and then borrow a couple of others to fill the gaps. Lets wait and see who actually arrives before anything else.

I've been adamant for some time that we've adopted a policy of not investing in defence and GK. Maybe that policy has changed, or maybe offloading so many players has freed up the necessary cash internally to enable a signing without the need for Venky approval. 

We certainly need more than one though so I'll hang fire on the party poppers and balloons until we've signed the defenders and end up with a squad as good as last season, never mind better.

Yep,I’ve always advocated that,wait until the window closes and then assess if we’ve had a good window or not, if TM does what he says he wants to, that is two goalies, couple c/backs and a l/b and a possible bonus of a midfielder it could be a decent window. 
Still think we had to offload Smallwood who didn’t figure last season, even with the injuries we had.

Samuel had one decent game followed by some very indifferent games, had to go.

Downing a difficult one, think most thought his legs would have gone last season, but certainly surprised me and was one of our better players, but another year older and those legs go all of a sudden, fine balance how much to pay him at that age, could still end up signing for us.

Looks like Graham off to Sunderland, probably do a job in that division but probably the right time to depart.

Lets hope Brereton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Dack will be enough up front with Vale and Butterworth as back ups.

14 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yep,I’ve always advocated that,wait until the window closes and then assess if we’ve had a good window or not, if TM does what he says he wants to, that is two goalies, couple c/backs and a l/b and a possible bonus of a midfielder it could be a decent window. 

exactly. We need to make those signings. 

Hopefully we see a couple of defensive signings in before the Everton game/international break

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many England caps did Batty get and how many did Sherwood get ?

Not really relevant. Who was the best midfielder for Blackburn of the two. The bloke who captained us to glory in 95. He also won the player of the year award couple of years later for an outstanding season when his performances kept us in the prem that year. 

• Like 1

What I will say i support of Batty and England is that he stepped up and tried to take a penalty in the 1998 world cup.I was probably still recovering from sitting there trying to kill Sepiroth at the end of Final Fantasy 7 in time to watch the Denmark vs. Nigeria game, but I don't remember if any more free scoring players chickened out. 

The way Sherwood left had a sour taste though.

• Like 2

Sharpe is the one to listen to. He doesn’t involve himself or the LET in wild speculation and so when he hangs his hat on anything (or at least doesn’t squash it) then it’s safe to say it’s got ‘some’ legs...

Imo his report on Sunday was very encouraging. 2 keepers is self explanatory but 2 cbs with Mulgrew and Williams BOTH going is new info. Going on to say that we are looking at 2 perm and 1 temp from England and accepting the Lindsay and Kipre links is also very encouraging. Also confirmed we’re on for a lb and midfielder which covers two obvious gaps especially with Downing unlikely to sign.

Im not sure why people are switching their ‘worries’ to the loss of Hart, Smallwood and Samuel who were very much surplus. Graham is more understandable but ultimately, as many on here love to remind us, we have spent £12m on Gally and BB, two young players who need to be given an opportunity to come to the fore. Likewise, there’s been a clamour for the manager to clear the way for JRC, Buckley, Butterworth etc...which is what is happening.

The big question is can they deliver this?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Likewise, there’s been a clamour for the manager to clear the way for JRC, Buckley, Butterworth etc...which is what is happening.

Has there? Must have missed that clamour considering neither of them has made any significant contribution to anything as yet....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

If you had enough brass left for a Godfather at 2am, that was usually a bigger result than pulling ?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Has there? Must have missed that clamour considering neither of them has made any significant contribution to anything as yet....

Ahhh...I said “etc”, as in young players in general coming through the ranks. You just let your personal opinion on Buckley (vs mine) drive your answer. ?

So moving that aside ‘Sparky’ you’ve not heard of / seen fans asking for the manager to play / give chances to our young lads?

Surely we’d always want our top academy talent backing up the first team as oppose to the Smallwood, Hart, Samuels of this world? ??‍♂️

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think we all know your opinions on Buckley now, but there's both a financial pressure from within the club and a more emotional pressure from a significant amount of supporters for the clubs young players to be the way forward here.

And I don't think it's fair personally to say they haven't made any contribution, we beat Sheffield Wednesday at home thanks to John Buckley and Joe Rankin-Costello played admirably at left-back when we had major injury problems in that position, as we closed out the BCD season.

That’s football in the championship these days ! The football landscape has changed dramatically it’s make do and mend its wheel and deal and it’s time to allow the youth to flourish . We are not alone in this scenario. I say let’s stop to think about it stop criticising and start getting behind the club. Let’s see how we come out of this situation in the next few weeks. Bournemouth have to raise in excess of £90m just to survive apparently with ffp and salaries hence the fire sale. They will be the first test for us so let’s see how we do then 

5 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Not really relevant. Who was the best midfielder for Blackburn of the two. The bloke who captained us to glory in 95. He also won the player of the year award couple of years later for an outstanding season when his performances kept us in the prem that year. 

I might be wrong, but I don't remember Tim Sherwood winning our player of the year award, but Batty won it in 93/94.