BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He'd still get in the team at 51, although I don't think he's particularly keen on football.

I remember being 3 - 0 up at Elland Rd, Shearer hat trick, I think. Batty had been injured and didn't play the first half, came on second half and decimated us, we were lucky to end up 3 - 3, King Kenny signed him the following week.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

, we have spent £12m on Gally and BB, two young players who need to be given an opportunity to come to the fore.

44 appearances across  2 years for BB. He has had an opportunity. How long do we risk playing a weakened XI by including him just to try and hope he can repay that ridiculous transfer fee.

When you have Armstrong and Gallagger, then Dack to return and hopefully Chapman geting a chance, its hard to see how Brereton gets game time once the season is in full swing.

Getting Graham and Samuel out the door helps mowbray justify finding him a place on the bench. 

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it just to try and justify that fee.

The problem is the squad has.so many problems that a 3rd choice striker isnt priority, and there appears to be no rumblings.from the academy with regards to strikers.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Phil Neville wasn't competing with Scholes, Gerard and Lampard for a spot

Neither were Batty & Sherwood In there peak.

It was more Platt, Gazza, Rob Lee, Ince, Redknapp, Stone etc back then.

1 minute ago, blue_n_white99 said:

I remember being 3 - 0 up at Elland Rd, Shearer hat trick, I think. Batty had been injured and didn't play the first half, came on second half and decimated us, we were lucky to end up 3 - 3, King Kenny signed him the following week.

Seem to remember Sherwood scoring an own goal as well. Batty over Sherwood, case closed ?

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

44 appearances across  2 years for BB. He has had an opportunity. How long do we risk playing a weakened XI by including him just to try and hope he can repay that ridiculous transfer fee.

When you have Armstrong and Gallagger, then Dack to return and hopefully Chapman geting a chance, its hard to see how Brereton gets game time once the season is in full swing.

Getting Graham and Samuel out the door helps mowbray justify finding him a place on the bench. 

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it jist to try and justify that fee.

The problem is the squad has.so many problems that a 3rd choice striker isnt priority, and there appears to be no rumblings.from the academy with regards to strikers.

I’d personally rather have BB over SG in the side.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hasta said:

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it jist to try and justify that fee.

It’s that fee that’s kept him hanging round here, when it was screamingly obvious he should’ve spent some time on loan learning his trade. Would a 19 year old from our academy been given so many chances? The fee can’t come into it when you are a million miles away.

Instead TM has insisted on throwing him on the pitch when it was clear his confidence had completely drained away. 

Will he ever make it? Not sure he will, glimpses over lockdown, this upcoming season is last chance saloon here for him and the club, but I do feel he has been managed poorly.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

That’s football in the championship these days ! The football landscape has changed dramatically it’s make do and mend its wheel and deal and it’s time to allow the youth to flourish . We are not alone in this scenario. I say let’s stop to think about it stop criticising and start getting behind the club. Let’s see how we come out of this situation in the next few weeks. Bournemouth have to raise in excess of £90m just to survive apparently with ffp and salaries hence the fire sale. They will be the first test for us so let’s see how we do then 

This proposed 18 million wage cap and squad of 25 would be an absolute result for rovers and to be fair any champ club with a cat 1 academy. It could give us a real advantage over the next couple of seasons -at this level.

It would allow us to compete wage wise with clubs currently spending much more on salaries.  There's no way clubs could carry £20-30k per week bench warmers. 

It should:

A) Give the club no excuse to compete for the best players at this level throughout Europe (certainly out of contract players).

B) Provide a clear route for the best academy prospects. 

C) Limit the turnover of first team players so we aren't in a position where we need 5/6 each year.  It should be just one or two. 

D) Allows the emphasis to be on recruitment of the younger player - where we have the advantage of top level under 23 football and established set up. - like the lad Dolan signed from PNE.

Obviously a forward thinking club/management would be all over this opportunity. ??‍♂️

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Hasta said:

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it just to try and justify that fee.

Brereton should be loaned out this season -with perhaps a loan striker brought in.  He's got time on his side and a year playing and  toughening up in league one or two would do him the world of good. 

He bags goals and he's ready for a shot back in the rovers side the following season.  He doesn't, then it's really time to write him off. 

• Like 2

We are going to have to bite the bullet with the strike force now as sooner or later that kind of money spent will have to be justified. The main issue is the manager getting them in a system that suits them, that's the biggest challenge.

Get out of jail card is Dack will hopefully be back at some point to pull us out of the proverbial if he can't get a tune out of BB & SG.

If it all goes to pot Mowbray should fall on his sword simple as that but there'll be a raft of other excuses and reasons. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s that fee that’s kept him hanging round here, when it was screamingly obvious he should’ve spent some time on loan learning his trade. Would a 19 year old from our academy been given so many chances? The fee can’t come into it when you are a million miles away.

Instead TM has insisted on throwing him on the pitch when it was clear his confidence had completely drained away. 

Will he ever make it? Not sure he will, glimpses over lockdown, this upcoming season is last chance saloon here for him and the club, but I do feel he has been managed poorly.

I think he showed more than glimpses post lockdown. Taking aside his rash challenge that got him sent off - he was one of the bright spots. Wouldn't say he looked like a £6m player - but he finally showed why TM was persuaded to spend so much money. Lets hope he continues to improve - the clubs hopes for next season rest with either him or Gallagher starting to justify their huge fees. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He's got time on his side

Thats the strange thing. He's been here two years. His contract ends in summer 2022. His career has time on it's side, but I'm not sure Rovers do !

If he went on loan this season he would be in the last year of his contract when he returned. We will probably end up offering him another 2 or 3 years to try and salvage something from our 'investment' - which would be crazy.

Mowbray and the club are going to have to be prepared to "write off' this investment for the good of the club and play him on merit alone. And if that means the wilderness a couple of months into this season then so be it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Wouldn't say he looked like a £6m player - but he finally showed why TM was persuaded to spend so much money.

Thats a very contradictory statement.

He had one decent game at home. I think it was the first one back where he rounded the keeper and fell over. He did play well that day. However the rest of the games he looked out of his depth again. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think he showed more than glimpses post lockdown. Taking aside his rash challenge that got him sent off - he was one of the bright spots. Wouldn't say he looked like a £6m player - but he finally showed why TM was persuaded to spend so much money. Lets hope he continues to improve - the clubs hopes for next season rest with either him or Gallagher starting to justify their huge fees. 

He looked better, though from a very low base.

Really, really hope you are right, vital that such a big outlay for the club turns out ok.

With a name like yours, I presume you’ve been watching football a long time, so fair enough if you think he ‘has it’, for me, he still seems extremely raw and not someone who will make a telling impact in the short to medium term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

Thats the strange thing. He's been here two years. His contract ends in summer 2022. His career has time on it's side, but I'm not sure Rovers do !

If he went on loan this season he would be in the last year of his contract when he returned. We will probably end up offering him another 2 or 3 years to try and salvage something from our 'investment' - which would be crazy.

Mowbray and the club are going to have to be prepared to "write off' this investment for the good of the club and play him on merit alone. And if that means the wilderness a couple of months into this season then so be it.

Quite possible that, like Dack, Bell etc, we have a year option. 

He did look better (and stronger) post lock down although he'd set a very low bar previously.

He should have gone on loan last year IMO. 

I agree he should only play on merit..but how does he earn the right to merit a place?

12 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Thats a very contradictory statement.

He had one decent game at home. I think it was the first one back where he rounded the keeper and fell over. He did play well that day. However the rest of the games he looked out of his depth again. 

Did well against reading to be fair. 

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We are going to have to bite the bullet with the strike force now as sooner or later that kind of money spent will have to be justified. The main issue is the manager getting them in a system that suits them, that's the biggest challenge.

Get out of jail card is Dack will hopefully be back at some point to pull us out of the proverbial if he can't get a tune out of BB & SG.

If it all goes to pot Mowbray should fall on his sword simple as that but there'll be a raft of other excuses and reasons. 

Exactly. I’m not saying SG and BB are good enough. I’m just saying that having spent the cash on them they need a period of time playing to justify the fees. The manager will live or die by on those signings imo. Said it for a while now..

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Not really relevant. Who was the best midfielder for Blackburn of the two. The bloke who captained us to glory in 95. He also won the player of the year award couple of years later for an outstanding season when his performances kept us in the prem that year

I was never a Sherwood fan, it would be Batty every day for me.

• Like 2

Batty was one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen at Ewood. 93/94 he was immense. However, spent much of the next season injured and left at Christmas the year after, so obviously he didn’t have the consistent presence Sherwood had.

Though still a much better player, for me.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I’d personally rather have BB over SG in the side.

Gallagher really frustrated me last season.  His performances last year showed a player whose career had stagnated at Southampton.  

He needed to move permanently (somewhere) after his first season with us.  He got that new contract though  and 2 years of loan/reserve football followed.  That was wasted time for him. 

Granted he was played out of position most of last season which didn't help him either.  

This season is massive  for him.  He can't play on the wing so it's up top or nothing.  

Armstrong's goals have earned him the CF spot - but he can play out wide.  Interesting that Dack also said he liked playing with Armstrong cutting in from the left.

So personally, I'd like to see SG given the first 10 games playing as the central striker - especially if we are playing more with 'winger' types out wide. 

If he doesn't deliver goals/better performances then time to move on. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

David Batty slagged us off in his book, the club and it's fanbase. Said we weren't a passionate club like Leeds and Newcastle, something like that. 

He's a cock. 

Lots of players are. You need to remember to most of them it's just a job, they have no more loyalty to a particular club than you have to your place of work. You couldn't fault his effort or ability on the pitch.

• Like 5

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lots of players are. You need to remember to most of them it's just a job, they have no more loyalty to a particular club than you have to your place of work. You couldn't fault his effort or ability on the pitch.

It really was just a job for him.

Since retirement he’s totally walked away from the game, no interest - as proven when he was the only member of the 94/95 squad not to come to Ewood for the reunion evening.

• Like 1