BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Of course, that's what footballs all about. We all have our different opinions. That's fair enough in my book. Everybody gets it wrong sometimes. For example I thought  David Bentley was going to be a bad signing. Obviously I was badly wrong the first time but right the second time.

?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

He looked better, though from a very low base.

Really, really hope you are right, vital that such a big outlay for the club turns out ok.

With a name like yours, I presume you’ve been watching football a long time, so fair enough if you think he ‘has it’, for me, he still seems extremely raw and not someone who will make a telling impact in the short to medium term.

I am not certain he "has it" - but there was enough glimpses to at least give some hope that TM hasn't wasted £6m.

Though a slightly bigger unit - he reminds me a little of Kevin Davies when he first came to Rovers. If BB can keep that dribbling ability (he does run well with the ball for a big man) - but instill the hold up play that made Davies such an effective player after he left Rovers - he will be successful. Unlike Davies - I hope TM can improve BB hold up play - so we see the benefits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

44 appearances across  2 years for BB. He has had an opportunity. How long do we risk playing a weakened XI by including him just to try and hope he can repay that ridiculous transfer fee.

When you have Armstrong and Gallagger, then Dack to return and hopefully Chapman geting a chance, its hard to see how Brereton gets game time once the season is in full swing.

Getting Graham and Samuel out the door helps mowbray justify finding him a place on the bench. 

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it just to try and justify that fee.

The problem is the squad has.so many problems that a 3rd choice striker isnt priority, and there appears to be no rumblings.from the academy with regards to strikers.

How many of those as a centre forward? 

How many did he start?

How many of those did he play the whole 90 mins? 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

44 appearances across  2 years for BB. He has had an opportunity. How long do we risk playing a weakened XI by including him just to try and hope he can repay that ridiculous transfer fee.

When you have Armstrong and Gallagger, then Dack to return and hopefully Chapman geting a chance, its hard to see how Brereton gets game time once the season is in full swing.

Getting Graham and Samuel out the door helps mowbray justify finding him a place on the bench. 

However at some point Mowbray will have to accept what he has done, rather than picking a player who simply isnt.up to it just to try and justify that fee.

The problem is the squad has.so many problems that a 3rd choice striker isnt priority, and there appears to be no rumblings.from the academy with regards to strikers.

How many of those 44 appearances are 5-10 minute cameos? The majority, I'd suspect.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I might be wrong, but I don't remember Tim Sherwood winning our player of the year award, but Batty won it in 93/94.

A quick search it appears I am wrong. I had recollections of a win in 97 or 98. Maybe it was a supporters award rather than a club award or something. Maybe 20 plus years on, I am just outraged he was overlooked. Anyhow, he was definitely the driving force that season that kept us up(in my opinion of course). 

Ewood is flat on matchdays, far too flat but the football is mostly flat as well which doesn't help neither does the often disjointed line up and dull approach to games. 

Over the last 10 years the life has been sucked out of the club, the BBE used to be the heartbeat of Ewood but it's just like any other stand now. The lack of wisdom in alienating the DEnders instead of trying to fuel it has all but killed it now.

It can still be good on its day but Rovers fans have always been a bunch that needs to see something from the team and management and in turn they'll get them over the line when they are up for it. Going around the country you are visiting grounds that don't have 20 thousand empty seats and stands miles away from the pitch. The ground in general at Ewood has always been poor for atmosphere unless there is a lot in.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Barry Ferguson was another one I got wrong. I was over the moon when we signed him. When I saw him play for Scotland I thought he was like the next Graham Souness ( who if you never saw him play was a terrific player ) but he flopped badly at Ewood.

Caught the back end of souness' career. Great player. Yes ferguson flopped, I had high hopes for him too. 

25 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Hilarious that Rovers fans are sticking up for a Leeds fan who dissed Rovers. Whatever next, Rovers fans sticking up for Venky's??!?

Not sticking up for anyone, regardless of how accurate it may be, its a common opinion. If that upsets you so be it, I've just learnt to laugh it off over the years.

25 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

I think I may be in the minority here but I genuinely believe Ben Brereton will turn out to be a great player. 

He looks a complete different player post lockdown, it is clear to see that the only thing he is lacking is confidence in front of goal. 

I believe when that goal comes he won't look back. 

He looks stronger, quicker and glides with the ball. 

Keep the faith! 

A great player? I mean if not s plant, a realistic view would be he becomes decent for us, a championship standard player. To say he will become great is in the realms of fantasy. On what basis? He has no discernable strengths and 2 goals in 2 years - both, imo not coincidentally, in dead rubber games. 

Looked better? Well he couldn't look worse. But did he really look good? How many chances did he create? How many defences did he bully, how much end product was there? Not much and nowhere near what you would expect from a championship player. Put it this way compare him with any decent forward we have had in the championship and his performances post lockdown are still majorly inferior. A great player??? I'll settle for decent or better yet off the books. 

14 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I am not certain he "has it" - but there was enough glimpses to at least give some hope that TM hasn't wasted £6m.

Though a slightly bigger unit - he reminds me a little of Kevin Davies when he first came to Rovers. If BB can keep that dribbling ability (he does run well with the ball for a big man) - but instill the hold up play that made Davies such an effective player after he left Rovers - he will be successful. Unlike Davies - I hope TM can improve BB hold up play - so we see the benefits. 

I think no matter what he does in future he'll never be a prolific goalscorer because he doesn't have what top goalscorers have. He can run with the ball to no great effect and that's about it. When did he last have a shot at goal from any sort of distance ? Has he ever had a shot at goal from outside the box ? His game seems to be running with the ball and then falling over to get us a free kick around the box.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think no matter what he does in future he'll never be a prolific goalscorer because he doesn't have what top goalscorers have. He can run with the ball to no great effect and that's about it. When did he last have a shot at goal from any sort of distance ? Has he ever had a shot at goal from outside the box ? His game seems to be running with the ball and then falling over to get us a free kick around the box.

But he never gets a chance at playing as a centre forward and play 90 mins yet we expect him to score goals on a regular basis?

5 minutes ago, Prelude said:

But he never gets a chance at playing as a centre forward and play 90 mins yet we expect him to score goals on a regular basis?

But you also need to pick an 11 to win games. He was very poor for the most part in his cameos, the manager can’t then risk building an attack around him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Prelude said:

Even playing wide, he doesn't play as a traditional winger.

He still gets into the box a lot and should be getting chances to shoot/finish.

As Tyrone says, when do you see him go for goal from outside the box, like Armstrong does?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Even playing wide, he doesn't play as a traditional winger.

He still gets into the box a lot and should be getting chances to shoot/finish.

As Tyrone says, when do you see him go for goal from outside the box, like Armstrong does?

When Armstrong gets the ball up front 90% of the time you can see his first thought is how can I work an opening for a shot. When Big Ben gets the ball getting a shot off doesn't seem to be high on his agenda. Basically goalscorers have to be a bit greedy and totally focussed on scoring goals. You're never going to win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Newcastle is usually silent, one of the biggest myths going about ‘52,000 screaming Geordies’. They gave 10,000 STs away for free last season as their fans had walked away.

No club has fans any more ‘passionate’ than any other. Is Joe Bloggs, Newcastle fan more passionate than Joe Harvey, Rovers fan?

And it certainly wasn’t the case in the 90s, which is Batty’s terms of reference...

From two visits myself, Newcastle isn't silent.

42 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

How many of those 44 appearances are 5-10 minute cameos? The majority, I'd suspect.

You would be wrong.

It is 45 appearances he has actually made. Only 14 of those appearances have come after the 75th minute. 

Most of those cameos were in his first season. Last season, he only made 4 cameos  of 15 minutes or less out of 17 appearances.

He has had ample game time to impress and has failed to do so. People said after his first season that next season would be when he finally gets into his groove. Now people are calling out for more game time again. At what point do we draw a line under it? If he starts the first 3 games, doesn't score and is generally poor, do we still persevere in the hope he comes good?

At what point do we accept it hasn't worked out and look at replacing?

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you play him up front and he's not in the game the chances are by half time we'll be behind and something will have to change.

Gallagher looks like some one who could  be a centre forward and mix it physically (still think he could be stronger mind).  BB I just don't get what his strength is.  If it's carrying the ball, I'm not sure how he fits into any team as he certainly can't cross it. 

Like Kevin Davies had to go away and adapt his game, BB needs to focus on an element of his game that will nail him a position because he's the best at the club at doing it. 

Not sure he has that in him but Kevin Davies (the bullying defenders version) didn't really materialise till his mid to late 20s.

Every chance that if BB does turn out to be a useful player, it will be at another club 4-5 years down the line. 

• Like 3