BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

From two visits myself, Newcastle isn't silent.

How did we / they get on?  I imagine if things are going well they can be quite sprightly like most clubs.

I went once,  for the game when Souness was their manager and MGP bundled one in with his hand late on. They were very quiet during the game and then very loud and anti-Souness outside the ground. 

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

To be fair if a keeper leaves and the other one is Steele, then Walton is nailed on to be  on the bench.  

Not good enough for me though.  

Just now, Hasta said:

How did we / they get on?  I imagine if things are going well they can be quite sprightly like most clubs.

I went once,  for the game when Souness was their manager and MGP bundled one in with his hand late on. They were very quiet during the game and then very loud and anti-Souness outside the ground. 

Last visit was FA Cup January 2019. A nothing early cup game really but their fans nice and up for it despite the cold & dark weather.

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I've been to Newcastle St James Park under Hughes, Kean, Coyle. I remember Derbyshire scoring the last minute winner. Great scenes that. Followed by best night out ever. But their fans werent loud at all. When we won there under Coyle, Their fans were moaning and groaning in the first half of that game at their side poor performance. We played really well that day. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Newcastle is usually silent, one of the biggest myths going about ‘52,000 screaming Geordies’. They gave 10,000 STs away for free last season as their fans had walked away.

No club has fans any more ‘passionate’ than any other. Is Joe Bloggs, Newcastle fan more passionate than Joe Harvey, Rovers fan?

And it certainly wasn’t the case in the 90s, which is Batty’s terms of reference...

Agreed. Whenever I've been there following Rovers I've always thought their reputation as fans was pretty unwarranted. They only make noise when they're angry. Though maybe you just can't hear them when sat all the way up in the nose bleeds stand that the away fans get shoved in. 

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many grounds that show as much passion and create as much noise these days in comparison to the 90s. Boring possession based football being favoured by managers over blood and thunder football from back then I feel is mostly to blame. Sound familiar?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

During the Prem years I went to most of our away games in Newcastle from 2004 and the crowd certainly wasn't as loud/vocal as they're made out to be. I also went to quite a few Newcastle games during university (2008-2011) & through the years and have been disappointed in the crowd/atmosphere if anything. They tended to get vocal when things weren't going their way, as opposed to genuine support for the team. 

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

But it's not exactly untrue is it, especially in the modern era. Our attendance in numbers, fine, that's just numerical and I agree that figures like that don't equal passion, but come on, we all know what Ewood is like.

Having been to many an away ground over the past few seasons, we have one of the most boring and mild tempered atmospheres in the EFL. Not helped by the split of more passionate fans due to the Darwen End debacle, but still the issue remains, Ewood on most match days is like a library, and the atmosphere we saw against Bardford in that League One season, where everyone's high on the game and getting involved and being passionate, is the kind of atmosphere you'll get at a Newcastle game every other week.

I know it's not always been that way, but nobody could genuinely object to the statement that we have a pretty naff atmosphere at the minute.

The atmosphere at all grounds is sanitised nowadays. I don’t buy this myth about a Newcastle atmosphere being better than anywhere else, as I don’t believe it is and I’m surprised you do tbh.

A media friendly club that haven’t had it half as bad as has been portrayed.

• Like 4

The reality with Brereton is that he is two years into a four year deal, he has scored two (I think), been sent to play with the under 23's and contributed very little. The reason he has been on the bench so many times is clear to me. Hypothetically if he was on a three year and entering the last year now would anybody consider offering him a new deal? It's not too dissimilar a story with Gallagher but I would like to see him playing down the middle more which I believe is a more natural position for him. As much as I dislike and don't rate Coyle at least he got some kind of tune out of him by playing him there.

• Like 3

I agree that there's a good player in Brereton. The big fee has impacted him badly - he's struggled to deal with the pressure. We have to remember he's only 21 and learning his trade. If he had come through the youth team and no fee was paid for him, the attitude towards him would be very different. Instead, big things are expected immediately because he cost 7m. 

There is a very valid debate of whether we should have spent 7m on a player that wouldn't be able to come into the team straight away and be one of our key players. 

Gallagher is different. He's been played completely out of position and asked to do things he's not capable of doing. Stick him up front and get balls into the box. He'll score a few then. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

When we actually have the funds to replace him.

In that case it looks like we aren't getting the 2 goalkeepers and the rest of the defence that we are linked with then.

Edited by Hasta

Batty was the in your face, tough tackling midfielder that every successful team needs. He was not short of ability either and could play. Obviously not in Keane's league but about as good as we could get as a second option at the time. Travis reminds me very much of Batty - which does excite me.

Sherwood was the more cultured midfielder, so cultured in fact that we did not need Zidane lol. He would get you a few goals and assists, something that you would not get too much from Batty. 

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

In that case it looks like we aren't getting the 2 goalkeepers and the rest of the defence that we are linked with then.

Or we just about have the funds for those (hopefully), which are a far bigger priority but not to also replace a player who isn't actually a regular starter anyway and plays a position where it's expensive to recruit quality. He is also showing some signs of improvement tbf, although he still isn't good enough right now to be a starter.

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

I agree that there's a good player in Brereton. The big fee has impacted him badly - he's struggled to deal with the pressure. We have to remember he's only 21 and learning his trade. If he had come through the youth team and no fee was paid for him, the attitude towards him would be very different. Instead, big things are expected immediately because he cost 7m. 

There is a very valid debate of whether we should have spent 7m on a player that wouldn't be able to come into the team straight away and be one of our key players. 

Gallagher is different. He's been played completely out of position and asked to do things he's not capable of doing. Stick him up front and get balls into the box. He'll score a few then. 

This is exactly where I'm at with him. If we could go back, there's no way I'd have spent that sort of fee on him, even if the money couldn't have been spent elsewhere. Even so, if a 21 year old Brereton came out of the academy and gave the performances that he did post lockdown, we would all be saying that he looks a clumsy player, but one with plenty to offer.

Graham & Samuel clocked up about 40-50 appearances between them last year and have been let go without a replacement, so whether he merits it or not, BB is going to be getting a decent run of games if he stays fit. Quite simply, he has to take this year to step up, we can't wait forever. 

• Like 2

When Mowbray didn't offer Danny Graham a new contract he said that he thought it was the best move for all parties, difficult to let almost guaranteed goals go, and that he wouldn't want to be a bit-part player for us.

I'm therefore slightly concerned to hear that there are no plans to attempt to replace him. What are the alternatives if we need goals or experience on the pitch in the last 20 minutes?

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

When Mowbray didn't offer Danny Graham a new contract he said that he thought it was the best move for all parties, difficult to let almost guaranteed goals go, and that he wouldn't want to be a bit-part player for us.

I'm therefore slightly concerned to hear that there are no plans to attempt to replace him. What are the alternatives if we need goals or experience on the pitch in the last 20 minutes?

Give Jack Vale and Daniel Butterworth a chance to prove they are good enough instead of bringing in a bit part player